Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Official Visit to Poland & Germany - July 17-21, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks but what is a "strop"?

Anyway, I did see Kate lean down and speak to her after she fell(or threw herself down!) but I couldn't see that she was telling the child off or not.

And yes, she seemed perfectly happy again as she approached the plane but the Fail in their ever increasing reach for clicks liked the tantrum story better, I guess.

Last edited:
One thing is obvious. Whomever writes this load of crap over at the Fail have absolutely no clue what its like to be a parent of a two year old.

Know what I'd love to see and wish I had the money to do it? Start up a publication where the sole job of the writers would be to nitpick on every mishap, every grammatical error, every little made up "scoop" and every little title they get wrong at the Fail. We could call it "The Daily Failure".

Any takers?

Wow, those kids are adorable. I know a lot of people object to the Cambridges bringing their kids on the tour when they had very little "air time" and thus seeing it as pointless but seeing those videos of the couple teaching George and Charlotte to shake hands with officials, wave, walk in front of crowds and cameras makes me think that they see the tour as a learning opportunity for the kids. The couple clearly wants them to have a positive attitude towards their official roles and be comfortable in what they'll do in the future and this is one way to do it. :flowers:

Beautiful pics of the family. George and Charlotte are beyond adorable as usual. William and Catherine have their hands full for sure, :lol:.

I have a granddaughter about Charlotte's age that lives with us (along with her mom and 2 siblings) ..and I can totally relate! lol

LaRae

Aw, well it certainly looked as if Charlotte enjoyed her time during the tour! :D It was cute to see George excited about the helicopter too.

Wow, those kids are adorable. I know a lot of people object to the Cambridges bringing their kids on the tour when they had very little "air time" and thus seeing it as pointless but seeing those videos of the couple teaching George and Charlotte to shake hands with officials, wave, walk in front of crowds and cameras makes me think that they see the tour as a learning opportunity for the kids. The couple clearly wants them to have a positive attitude towards their official roles and be comfortable in what they'll do in the future and this is one way to do it. :flowers:

That's an interesting point and I agree. It's good that William and Catherine bought the children with them because, not only does it give them positive PR, but it also educates George and Charlotte about the world of royal tours and gives them more experience for the next one - which also means that they should be vaguely aware of what to expect.

I wonder if they've taken a cue from Victoria and Daniel of Sweden and what they're doing with little Estelle? I'd love to see these two families meet.

I wonder if they've taken a cue from Victoria and Daniel of Sweden and what they're doing with little Estelle? I'd love to see these two families meet.

I shouldn't think that they pay any attention to what other royals do. The children are not the same, their characters cannot be assumed to be the same.

The Cambridges do what they consider right for their own children.

i don't think the daily mail, or any other press, necessarily is attacking george and charlotte. they are just reporting on what they saw of them getting on and off the plane, which was very little, when the kids were probably tired and sleepy, so they just communicated that. it would be silly to suggest that they are attacking them or saying that they mean 'they are not behaving properly'. no one expects small children to be completely up to speed with this sort of event, even less so a 4 year old. i think we are reading too much between the lines.
I respectfully disagree. The Daily Mail is spinning the story to make it seem like Charlotte (and earlier in the tour George) are spoiled children who misbehave when they don't get their own way. Normal people know children are not robots. Personally, I think the children behaved really well in a strange environment.

rI think George and Charlotte are just what they are, children growing up and learning.......nothing more and nothing less.

That video of Charlotte stomping her feet and then falling to the ground in not getting her own way was showing that dad and mom are going to have their hands full with her, she has some spit fire in her. George is one very handsome boy, and the look of pure joy on his in being in that helicopter was priceless. He seems like his dad and Uncle Harry that he is going to be very interested in flying one of those someday.....now he is the quiet shy guy and that is okay for he needs to learn how to deal with people as he gets older. Both parents are doing a wonderful job in taking their children with them on this tour, little by little they will become accustom to crowds and lots of other people around them yet still be careful. Oh I bet HM is delighted with this tour and watches with glee at her great grandchildren and seeing how well things went for all.

Now on to the next tour!

I've enjoyed seeing the children during the visit. I think Charlotte stole the show this time - she's at such a cute age - but George has grown into a lovely, very grown up looking little boy. It's hard to believe he's four already!

George just came alive in that helicopter, didn't he?

My dear mother, who had more common sense than anyone I have ever met would have taken one look at Charlotte today on the tarmac and said "That little girl needs a nap." That's all it was, except the cameras were on. I thought Catherine handled it deftly. I see far worse/longer/enduring/badly managed melt downs regularly at the grocery store. :flowers:

Thanks to Poland and Germany for such a fun time!

Yes Kate very easily diverted that into a minor blip. I do love that both those kids are being raised by their parents..nanny's are for backup/care when the adults are working.

LaRae

:previous:
Yes even when George was a bit grumpy lately, all he needed was a nap and now the same with his sister. After all they were out of their daily routine and being small children, things like that are important to them. This tour was nice and great to see the children yet small children need routine and sometime they let their parents know they are not happy when they take that tantrum. Your mom is a wise woman in seeing that...

I think it's possible, they look at the experience of their contemporaries but more than that they draw from Prince William's own experience in the public eye at a young age. More than anything, we can be sure that he is doing things for his kids now with regard to their duties that he wishes were done to him at that age.

I shouldn't think that they pay any attention to what other royals do. The children are not the same, their characters cannot be assumed to be the same.

The Cambridges do what they consider right for their own children.

Aren't the Cambridges rumoured to go on a Scandinavian tour later this year ? If they go to Sweden and bring George and Charlotte along again, the children will have an opportunity to meet Estelle.

:previous: Wasn't the poor baby crying because she had just taken a nasty spill out on the tarmac?:whistling:

She was doing what many toddlers do when they fall down and hurt themselves. They cry for a minute and their parents try to comfort them. DOWN WITH THE FAIL!:bang:
She did not fall down and hurt herself, she threw herself on the ground after stomping her feet. So funny that the DF reported it but had no footage! They lie no matter what. Just search for p charlotte tantrum and you will find many clips by other news organizations. Looks like the doc took away the gifts the children had just received before they boarded the helicopter and that was the straw that broke the camels back. Whole thing well handled by doc

One thing is obvious. Whomever writes this load of crap over at the Fail have absolutely no clue what its like to be a parent of a two year old.

Know what I'd love to see and wish I had the money to do it? Start up a publication where the sole job of the writers would be to nitpick on every mishap, every grammatical error, every little made up "scoop" and every little title they get wrong at the Fail. We could call it "The Daily Failure".

Any takers?
She threw herself down alright and it looked as though they are used to that! The daily mail just didn't get that footage but are capitalizing on those who,did. Just google it and see For yourself

I saw a little princess who looked very tired - rubbing her eyes, one leg hanging limp when she was being carried - and having whatever that was taken from her, when she wanted to keep hold of it, was just too frustrating for one her age.
Poor wee soul! She did very well really, and seems a most delightful little girl.

Any takers?

I would love that! :lol:

It wouldn't take money to start a thread on that here, but I think the interest would wear off fairly quickly.

I do wonder at the wisdom of having the children with them on this particular tour. They were on parade on and off planes but this was no "family" official visit to Poland and Germany. It was a Brexit Tour.

I think the purpose was that the children would go with them but not be paraded around but close by so they could be a family at night and there in the early morning.

The kids weren't planned into any of the events that Will & Kate attended while on the tour and that's why we only saw the kids coming and going various places when they changed locations.

It was stated that the children weren't initially going to come. So the planning of the tour itinerary would not have planned events in for the kids to participate in. The travel time to Poland and Germany isn't that long plus they were staying in the capitals so there wasn't any hotel rooms. So taking the kids did dramatically increase the planning or cost of security. Nanny Maria was probably able to take them to a zoo or park on the down low. The embassy could have organized play groups with kids of their employees etc.

Some how I keep getting a post error trying to fix the above post: need to add a not to line above bringing the kids and planning and security

Last edited by a moderator:

The point I hav seen made us why always on tour? Why do the people in the UK get to see the kids at troopong and the rare photo shoot, but they take them on tour? If they are old enough to make little appearances on tour, they certainly should be old enough to do so back home.

It's great to see them get comfortable. You see how well it works with Estelle. But seems odd they don't climatize the kids back home.

The kids are seen in the UK though...they were just at the Trooping a month ago.

I would imagine as they get older we will see them more if the event is appropriate for them.

LaRae

The kids are seen in the UK though...they were just at the Trooping a month ago.

I would imagine as they get older we will see them more if the event is appropriate for them.

LaRae

I mentioned trooping. Once a year, at a distance, up on a balcony. Or at a distance at church with the Midfletons.

If the point is to get them comfortable with press, why is it always in a foreign country? Instead of disrupting their schedule and taking them on a tour, why not introduce them to public back home?

It's a bit of a stretch at best to say only time appropriate is on foreign soil.

I agree with posters who said they aren't influenced by Victoria. Victoria doesn't take her kids on trips, except when nursing. She instead introduces them at home. Helps when you aren't adding missed naps, disrupted schedules and strange places ontop of all the attention.

Last edited:
The point I hav seen made us why always on tour? Why do the people in the UK get to see the kids at troopong and the rare photo shoot, but they take them on tour? If they are old enough to make little appearances on tour, they certainly should be old enough to do so back home.

It's great to see them get comfortable. You see how well it works with Estelle. But seems odd they don't climatize the kids back home.

I think its basically the Cambridges adapting their public roles to mesh with their family. Its not so much about the tours and the events or parading the kids in public but actually being able to be with the kids themselves.

Charlotte reaching up to get that man's attention is precious!!

Yes Kate very easily diverted that into a minor blip. I do love that both those kids are being raised by their parents..nanny's are for backup/care when the adults are working.

LaRae

Kate handled that brilliantly. I loved how she did not get ruffled by it but just took over, picked up Charlotte, and went about her business.

Any takers?

Great idea!! I like to call them the Daily Smell.

I agree. Also, since this was a "charm offensive" regarding Brexit, I think the children played a big role in this. Not only did they get lessons in being in front of the public and shaking hands, but they also were quite charming with Charlotte getting her bouquet of flowers and executing that precious curtsey, and George looking so precious and delighted in the helicopter. I am not suggesting that they should be "used" for the purposes, but if the truth be told, this is going to be part of their future roles and it is better to get used to it at a very young age so that it just becomes part of your life so it won't be such a big shock later on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom