Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Official Visit to Poland & Germany - July 17-21, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is exactly what I thought. Maybe this will make them leave Harry and Meghan alone for a few days.

HA they'll be on baby watch again...if she refuses any certain food they'll really crank it up.

LaRae

Aw, the photos of George and Charlotte are adorable! It's nice that they were bought along. I hope that we will get to see them during the tour and not just at the arrivals (of course that is if there are any child-friendly engagements on the itinerary).

Probably a controversial thing to say but I can completely understand why William and Catherine want their children to have a normal life for now but there have been a few occasions when George has been seen in public and the poor thing seems completely overwhelmed - very different scenario to Princess Estelle.

Not the right place for discussing I know but there does seem to be a big difference on how children are raised and their reaction to circumstances (and I do totally understand that Estelle and George are at different levels to the thrown!)

I do understand what you mean and I agree; but I also think that a part of it is related to George's personality. He seems to be more introverted than his little sister, who was quite happy to shake hands with the officials. Both children would have had the same amount of exposure to public duties so I do think that the fact that Charlotte was able to shake hands and George wasn't might also be due to his shy character.
Also; without wanting to nitpick - but George and Estelle are on the same levels to the throne as they will both rule over their respective countries one day.

George seems to always get this Estelle comparison. It's as simple as children having different personalities.

All children go through stages. I'm not a child psychologist but I doubt the solution to George overcoming his natural shyness at this stage is to parade him in front of more cameras.

Some people are introverts and some are extroverts but just because Estelle twirls around holding flowers now doesn't mean she won't be a moody teenager later.

And please can we not get this thread off track on the first day of the tour. I'm sure Estelle must have her own thread.

Catherine and William are so cute! Kate was given a gift for a newborn today and she turned to William and said "We'll just have to have more babies" :D

It is none of my business, but I expect them to have one more baby and that is it. Catherine will be already 36 next January, I think. Besides, W&K are getting busier as they take on more royal duties.

Last edited:
Based on their engagement interview it seemed like they wanted a larger family...however Kate was very ill with George and also had, to a lesser extend, the same with Charlotte...it's quite possible they won't have any more. She still has several years left but I don't think they would want to have them far apart....George is almost 4 and Charlotte is 2. Would be neat to see at least one more but guess we will have to wait and see.

LaRae

George seems to always get this Estelle comparison. It's as simple as children having different personalities.

All children go through stages. I'm not a child psychologist but I doubt the solution to George overcoming his natural shyness at this stage is to parade him in front of more cameras.

Some people are introverts and some are extroverts but just because Estelle twirls around holding flowers now doesn't mean she won't be a moody teenager later.
My niece is 4 years old and she hates being the center of attention . She's an outgoing happy little girl who would do the twirling until she'd notice people watching her . Then she'd be off hiding behind her father's legs .

And please can we not get this thread off track on the first day of the tour. I'm sure Estelle must have her own thread.

I don't see the point of comparing George to Estelle. Besides, although Estelle is also a princess who will probably be one day a reigning queen, she doesn't get the same level of media attention as George. Most of the coverage of the SRF is concentrated in Sweden itself, or in Germany, or in neighboring countries like Denmark, Norway, or the Baltic states; the BRF, on the other hand, gets worldwide coverage.

Personally, I think Victoria and Daniel, while being great parents, sometimes expose Estelle too much to the media. George's life is more balanced: he's not as hidden as Felipe's and Letizia's daughters were at a similar age, but, at the same time, he's not so out there as Estelle. Having said that, I don't see, however, why W&K took the children on this trip. It is an official visit to two major EU countries (one of them, Germany, the most important EU country), having to do with official state business, especially in light of Brexit. It doesn't seem like a place for children as a light Commonwealth tour of Australia or Canada would be for example.

Last edited:
Aw, the photos of George and Charlotte are adorable! It's nice that they were bought along. I hope that we will get to see them during the tour and not just at the arrivals (of course that is if there are any child-friendly engagements on the itinerary).

I do understand what you mean and I agree; but I also think that a part of it is related to George's personality. He seems to be more introverted than his little sister, who was quite happy to shake hands with the officials. Both children would have had the same amount of exposure to public duties so I do think that the fact that Charlotte was able to shake hands and George wasn't might also be due to his shy character.

Also; without wanting to nitpick - but George and Estelle are on the same levels to the throne as they will both rule over their respective countries one day.

Estelle has her grandfather and mother before her, George has a great grandmother, grandfather, father before him. So they aren't at the same level. George has an extra generation level between him and the throne.

Estelle has her grandfather and mother before her, George has a great grandmother, grandfather, father before him. So they aren't at the same level. George has an extra generation level between him and the throne.

But Queen Elizabeth II is 91, whereas King Carl XVI Gustaf is 71. So, in generation terms, CG is of the same generation as Charles (the reason why Lord Mountbatten wanted to marry him to Princess Anne); William is of the same generation as Victoria and her siblings (explaining why he was thought of as a possible match for Madeleine, who is exactly the same age as William), and Estelle belongs to same generation as George (maybe Charlotte will marry Oscar, or George will marry Leonor ??).

Sorry about all the match making, but the British and Swedish royal families are such a perfect fit (same age bracket, two Protestant monarchies, etc etc) that it is a waste to miss all those potential inter-dynastic marriages !

Last edited:
I kinda doubt we will seen another royal marrying into royalty in our lifetime. If ever again.

LaRae

I think people forget that George is his father's son. William was shy in the same way when he was that age. I think it may take him a little time to warm up, because he usually lights up when he's relaxed. Remember the two-handed waves in Canada? He enjoy being around people when he's relaxed. He's a kid!

It's good to see the whole Cambridge family on this tour.

George doesn't always seem completely comfortable with strangers or being the focus of such a huge amount of attention, but that's not an unusual characteristic. You could argue it's the sensible reaction to a large group of older, bigger people staring at you and frantically taking your picture, but regardless it's meaningless when talking about such a small child who may change completely over the next several years. I seem to remember reading that William had the reputation of being a holy terror when he was little whereas Harry was shy.

George may or may not ever be publically outgoing but as he does more of these visits and events with his parents he'll get used to things and develop his own style.

I wonder if this will be the pattern we see going forward, that George and Charlotte accompany their parents during the summer tours but not tours during the months that they are in school/preschool.
George at not yet 4 is very young. He seemed fairly relaxed on the balcony at Trooping surrounded by family. He, when younger was more relaxed (and at times quite squirmy) exiting planes than at present. They both looked a bit apprehensive when peering out of the plane window. Charlotte had the advantage of being securely held in her mom's arms. This business of having to march along a line of grownups w/ cameras whirring/clicking in the background would intimidate many adults, let alone a 3 almost 4 year old. I seem to remember that Harry was quite shy, too - & he's certainly blossomed :)

I kinda doubt we will seen another royal marrying into royalty in our lifetime. If ever again.

LaRae

I agree.

They'll marry people from their own social circle, people they see frequently and know well.
Dynastic marriages are a thing of the past.

The daily fail article, while great with pictures, mentioned the childrens'ages three times that I counted, and got it wrong two times!

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will meet Holocaust survivors when they visit a Nazi concentration camp.

William and Kate, who are on a five-day tour of Poland and Germany, will tour the former Stutthof camp to learn about the atrocities committed during the Second World War.

Built in Poland, Stutthof was the first Nazi camp set up outside German borders in September 1939 and one of the last camps liberated by the Allies in May 1945.

Around 110,000 people, men, women and children from 28 countries were imprisoned in Stutthof, where as many as 65,000, including 28,000 members of the Jewish community died.

Read more: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to meet Holocaust survivors on concentration camp visit

Having said that, I don't see, however, why W&K took the children on this trip.
Because they still can . George will be in school in a few weeks and that puts and end to traveling during school time .

It's also relatively close to the U.K and the travel in country is not that far so the kids can stay in Warsaw and Berlin while their parents go around to other cities and then come back unlike the India Bhutan tour where everyone was moving from stop to stop.

fantastic trip so far! william and kate are looking great. kate's outfits have been very appropriate and interesting. i loved the evening dress she wore by the polish designer, which was edgy and very different from what she usually wears. the erdem top and skirt today was also super feminine.

interesting to see so many body guards presence in the videos though. seems that poland takes their security very seriously, as i have never seen so many of them so close to WK.

Catherine’s style is spot on for this trip. I also really like her shorter hair, but would like to see it even a bit shorter, with perhaps a side sweep?

Anyhow, she seems to look nervous/worried in a number of the shots. She seems somehow more anxious than she usually does I public appearances. I wonder if it’s just general anxiety with regard to all of the unrest going on worldwide? Regardless, she does look pretty and regal.

And, of course, the kids are adorable. I think I remember One of her parents commenting that Charlotte puts George in his place ?. She does seem to be the more outgoing of the two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
'Katemania' is sweeping Warsaw as thousands line the streets of Gdańsk to cheer and wave the Royal couple.

Dense crowds held up Union flags, children stood on window ledges to get a better view, and a sea of camera phones filled the air with arms stretched out to snap Kate and William.

Youngsters were pictured standing on railings as they lined the streets with their eager parents, waiting for the arrival of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge for their visit to the Gdansk Shakespeare Theatre on the second day of their three-day tour of Poland.

Read more: 'Katemania' sweeps Warsaw as thousands go crazy for Kate Middleton on Royal visit to Gdańsk - Mirror Online

Video from Getty Images:
Crowds greet the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge as they visit the... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

Gallery from Sky News:
William and Kate meet Holocaust survivors in Poland

Read more: Duke and duchess meet Holocaust survivors in Poland - BBC News
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have visited a former concentration camp as they continue their tour of Poland.

They described their visit to Stutthof as "shattering", saying the site is a "terrible reminder of the cost of war".

The Royal couple met five Holocaust survivors at the camp near Gdansk, where 65,000 people were killed by the Nazis in World War Two.

The five-day tour of Poland and Germany will see the Cambridges also visit Gdansk, Berlin and Heidelberg.

Last edited:
Are they headed to Berlin or where in Germany?

LaRae

:previous: The Press Release - read more for day four and five: (eya posted this in post 15)
https://www.royal.uk/duke-and-duchess-cambridge-visit-poland-and-germany
Day three will see Their Royal Highnesses bidding farewell to Poland, before beginning the German element of the tour in the capital, Berlin. The Duke and Duchess will start the day's engagements with a private meeting with Chancellor Merkel. This will be The Duke’s second meeting with the Chancellor; they first met during his trip to Düsseldorf last year. Following this Their Royal Highnesses will visit the Brandenburg Gate, Berlin’s most famous landmark and a symbol of German unification. The Royal couple will say hello to crowds gathered on Pariser Platz in front of the Gate, before making their way to the Holocaust Memorial. Here they will tour the museum before walking through the Memorial itself.

The afternoon will see The Duke and Duchess travel to the eastern district of Marzahn. They will visit Strassenkinder, a charity which supports young people from disadvantaged backgrounds, including homeless children. In the charity’s youth club, Their Royal Highnesses will spend time with some of the young people who have received help from the charity, as well as meeting individuals from the Robert Enke Foundation. Set up in memory of the footballer, this organisation raises awareness of mental health issues, particularly in sport.The Royal couple will then return to the west of the city, and meet with President Steinmeier at the Bellevue Palace. That evening, Their Royal Highnesses will attend a Queen’s Birthday Party held in the gardens of the British Ambassador’s residence. The Duke of Cambridge will give his second speech of the tour during this reception.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom