Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Official Visit to Pakistan - October 14-18, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What an odd time to announcement a Royal tour, 10:30pm on a Saturday evening. Another tour with no date but the same timeframe as the Sussexes tour in Africa.

It is so late. Strange announcement time. That said... I am surprised. I really thought it would be Japan. Roya said this will be a week long visit.

They also said Charles and Camilla have a tour coming as well. So three tours/visits around the same time. That will be interesting.

What an odd time to announcement a Royal tour, 10:30pm on a Saturday evening. Another tour with no date but the same timeframe as the Sussexes tour in Africa.

According to Chris Ship, embargoed announcement. Lifted at 1030pm. Essentially it's for the Sunday Papers.

Well, they didn't make any front papers. They should have waited until tomorrow.

Last edited:
They also said Charles and Camilla have a tour coming as well. So three tours/visits around the same time. That will be interesting.

This is normal, the royals usually have several tours in autumn.
My guess is:
September - Sussex tour
October - Cambridge tour
November - Wales tour

Pakistan makes sense, there is a huge number of Pakistani immigrants living in the UK. And Pakistan is a Commonwealth country.

Last edited:
I am actually very excited about this tour.

“The Government and the people of Pakistan warmly welcome the announcement of the Royal Visit by Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to Pakistan this year.”

“The people of Pakistan still cherish and fondly recall the visits of The Queen to Pakistan during 1961 and 1997.”

“The upcoming royal visit is a reflection of the importance the United Kingdom attaches to its relations with Pakistan. The two countries enjoy historical links which both sides wish to strengthen further.”

MOHAMMAD NAFEES ZAKARIA, HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR PAKISTAN

Last edited:
Well, they didn't make any front papers. They should have waited until tomorrow.

Tour announcements rarely do.

Kensington Palace @KensingtonRoyal

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will undertake an official visit to Pakistan this autumn, at the request of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Further details will be advised in due course.

This should be an interesting tour. If I am not mistaken, it is over a decade since a senior member of the BRF visited Pakistan. With Imran Khan as the new PM, the timing could well be designed to help improve the level of engagement with Pakistan.

Last edited by a moderator:
This should be an interesting tour. If I am not mistaken, it is over a decade since a senior member of the BRF visited Pakistan. With Imran Khan as the new PM, the timing could well be designed to help improve the level of engagement with Pakistan.

Yes, the last royal tour was Charles and Camilla in 2006. The queen last went in 1997.

Definitely an unexpected announcement. Thought perhaps Japan. But maybe Charles and Camilla will be the first sent to Japan and Thailand to meet the new kings. It would be more fitting for the heir.

Definitely an unexpected announcement. Thought perhaps Japan. But maybe Charles and Camilla will be the first sent to Japan and Thailand to meet the new kings. It would be more fitting for the heir.

I can certainly see C&C trudge to Japan and possibly, Thailand.

I can certainly see C&C trudge to Japan and possibly, Thailand.

Prince Charles will probably attend the enthronement ceremony of Emperor Naruhito representing the Queen, so there is no need for a separate official tour of Japan. Besides, he met Naruhito many times before when he was still the Crown Prince. They know each other very well.

I must say Pakistan was a surprise to me. Although it is the most populated country in the Commonwealth after India, it is not a big economy and I wouldn't see it as a priority for the FCO in the post-Brexit era. Besides, it is a tour that will require extra security for the Duke and Duchess due to the ongoing level of terrorist activity in Pakistan.

It would make more practical sense if the Duke and Duchess also visited India after Pakistan, but if that were planned, it would have been announced already.

I must say Pakistan was a surprise to me. Although it is the most populated country in the Commonwealth after India, it is not a big economy and I wouldn't see it as a priority for the FCO in the post-Brexit era. Besides, it is a tour that will require extra security for the Duke and Duchess due to the ongoing level of terrorist activity in Pakistan.

It would make more practical sense if the Duke and Duchess also visited India after Pakistan, but if that were planned, it would have been announced already.

I don't thik the Pakistant trip is about economics, it is about re-engaging the country after a difficult decade and a half.

Who originated the idea for this tour?
The British government, or the Pakistani?

What an interesting choice for the FCO, I wonder how this was decided. That said, I am very much looking forward to this one, and I'm especially looking forward to seeing which causes and initiatives the Cambridges choose to highlight during the tour.

I hope they don't take the children with them. Pakistan is not a safe place. Too much ongoing terrorist activity. I will be worried about this trip even though I know there will be enhanced security.

An unexpected and diplomatically sensitive tour. William has shown he is able to handle those well.

Good. I hadn't read that. Thanks for letting me know.

In addition to the security concerns, the children will have already started the school year in the fall , won’t they ?

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s visit to Pakistan may be cancelled as tensions between Pakistan and India continue to soar over occupied Kashmir. (pakistantoday.com)

ECQwLvMW4AAt426

Via RoyaleVision Twitter

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s visit to Pakistan may be cancelled as tensions between Pakistan and India continue to soar over occupied Kashmir. (pakistantoday.com)

ECQwLvMW4AAt426

Via RoyaleVision Twitter

I was wondering about this, so I can't say I would be surprised. I would be very disappointing for everyone who has worked hard in preparation for the visit, but this might not be the right time.

I forgot about the Cambridge's pending trip to Pakistan. I agree that it would be a shame given the efforts of all who were involved, but as the old saying goes, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Hoping that the trip will be able to continue, but unfortunately the security issues might require the trip to be postponed.

I thought about this when I heard about Kashmir, it would be sad to see the trip cancelled given I'm sure a lot of work will have gone into planning by officials on both sides and W&K themselves. That said, of course safety and security must come first and no one would want to see W&K in danger or indeed having to face raised tension where any action from W&K could upset India or Pakistan.

Unfortunately security issues can cause the trip to be delayed. I still hope that the trip will come to fruition and that everything will go well.

News outlets in Pakistan quoting diplomatic sources say the visit will go ahead as planned. Dates will be announced shortly.

Diplomatic sources confirm that visit of Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Prince William and Kate Middleton will go as planned and there is no delay in it. Preparations are being finalised and a dates will be announced shortly.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will attend a special event at the Aga Khan Centre on 2nd October, hosted by His Highness The Aga Khan.

The event falls ahead of TRH’s official visit to Pakistan, which will take place between 14th - 18th October.

Via Kensington Palace Twitter

A good pre-visit engagement IMO and I'm glad to see that we finally have the dates for the trip to Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom