Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Official Visit to Pakistan - October 14-18, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aside from the unfortunate and unavoidable cancellation of the the visit to West Pakistan and the helicopter flight over the Khyber Pass, this has been an exceptionally well planned and executed royal tour. The engagements were well chosen and offered some fantastic opportunities for William and Catherine to highlight causes and initiatives that are in their areas of special interest, and to present themselves as polished representatives of both the
Queen and UK interests. I thought Kate's speech showed huge improvement over her early efforts--you can tell how much work she's put into doing better at something that is obviously not one of her special talents. I really respect that.

There were so many very special moments: Catherine wearing primarily Pakistani or Pakistani inspired dress, the arrival by tuk-tuk and William emerging from the tuk-tuk in a sherwani, the tea party and visit to the pediatric cancer ward, the visit to the mosque to highlight interfaith efforts, the visit to Chitral, the trip to to the glacier and meeting the villagers who had been affected by flooding, the dancing and the hats.

I was also impressed by William insisting that the press be taken care of due to the unexpected detour back to Lahore--it was considerate on a human level, but also a good longer term investment in goodwill which shows that William (or someone) is thinking ahead.

Overall, an excellent tour. I usually begin to lose interest after about day 2 or 3 of a tour, and this one kept my interest for the entire trip.

Yes, I was very impressed by the professionalism and the diplomatic skills of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on this tour. They are clearly stepping up their game.

This was a nice and colorful tour by the Cambridges. I’m so proud on how far Catherine has come and I think her speech was great. Loads of pictures and videos to look back on and enjoy.

I love these royal tours.

“Last 5 days have been truly historic and game changing for Pakistan. As Pakistan is been portrayed on global media as a tourists friendly, peaceful, and hospitable country, and the World saw a glimpse of that during recent trip of Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to Pakistan.”

Via PTI Twitter - Official account of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf

The Duke of Cambridge stressed the importance of security links between the UK and Pakistan as he and the Duchess of Cambridge visited a canine training centre in Islamabad on the last day of their five-day Pakistan tour.

The Pakistan Counter Improvised Explosive Device (CIED) programme, which in part breeds and trains dogs to identify explosive devices, is being supported by British troops

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I was very impressed by the professionalism and the diplomatic skills of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on this tour. They are clearly stepping up their game.

So was I. Its brought about a change that I know now that I need to make. Over the years here, I've always referred to The Duchess of Cambridge as "Kate". After watching the both of them in Pakistan and realizing just how they've stepped up to the line in preparation for their future roles with dignity, grace and aplomb, I believe its time I started calling her Catherine.

William and Catherine not only make a solid team that works together, plays together and is raising a family together but they're also a team going into the future with whatever may come their way. If people are saying they're excelling at "soft diplomacy", I'd like to add another word to that and call it "caring soft diplomacy". Everywhere this couple went, they connected with the people and the places they were.

Rough flights are a thing that William is used to from his work in SAR and then EAAA. He *knows* how upsetting a turbulent flight can make one feel and he did whatever he could to assure those on the plane that things are OK, cracked jokes to relieve the tension and personally took it on himself to make sure everyone was looked after. He handled that situation with professional experience just as the both of them are more and more fitting into their future roles as if they've been born into it. (pun intended).

Yeps. A *very* successful tour. Also one that makes me wish I could dress more like Catherine did on the tour. :D

The Duchess of Cambridge has said she was "hugely grateful to everyone" involved in ensuring the safe landing of the aircraft the royal couple were travelling on after it was caught in an electrical storm on Thursday.

Kate, 37, said: "I think it was quite an adventure really, it was pretty bumpy up there. We were looked after so wonderfully by the RAF who did a great job liaising with everyone and got us home safely."
Read more: Kate’s special message to RAF after landing plane safely

Lovely 8 page royal tour pullout in the Daily Mail.

“Kate Jewel of the East”

So was I. Its brought about a change that I know now that I need to make. Over the years here, I've always referred to The Duchess of Cambridge as "Kate". After watching the both of them in Pakistan and realizing just how they've stepped up to the line in preparation for their future roles with dignity, grace and aplomb, I believe its time I started calling her Catherine.

William and Catherine not only make a solid team that works together, plays together and is raising a family together but they're also a team going into the future with whatever may come their way. If people are saying they're excelling at "soft diplomacy", I'd like to add another word to that and call it "caring soft diplomacy". Everywhere this couple went, they connected with the people and the places they were.

Rough flights are a thing that William is used to from his work in SAR and then EAAA. He *knows* how upsetting a turbulent flight can make one feel and he did whatever he could to assure those on the plane that things are OK, cracked jokes to relieve the tension and personally took it on himself to make sure everyone was looked after. He handled that situation with professional experience just as the both of them are more and more fitting into their future roles as if they've been born into it. (pun intended).

Yeps. A *very* successful tour. Also one that makes me wish I could dress more like Catherine did on the tour. :D

I agree with your assessment of the grace and dignity with which the Cambridges present themselves. Does anyone remember the long-running thread here “William’s Suitability to be King”? Seems funny now.

great tour, even if slightly more toned down than other tours they had been in the past. loved how kate went local with her ensembles, and brought out lots of national designers.

their unexpected change of plans due to the weather makes me think the amount of logistics that need to happen when something like this goes on on a royal tour, let alone one in a country with high security such as pakistan. to turn a whole entourage around, find hotels last minute, etc must be no small undertaking. possibly they book hotels for some more nights than they are required just in case, but it made me curious as to the work that happens behind the scenes when things go wrong on a royal tour...

The Duke of Cambridge, on behalf of The Queen, this morning held an Investiture at the Residence in Islamabad, Pakistan.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge afterwards visited the Army Canine Centre, Islamabad.

Their Royal Highnesses this evening arrived at Royal Air Force Brize Norton from Pakistan.

Dr Simon Case, Ms Catherine Quinn and Mr Christian Jones were in attendance.

- COURT CIRCULAR || 18 OCTOBER 2019

The video from the plane looks terrifying. Glad everyone is okay.

According to the DM article posted above (and royal reporters on Twitter), the Cambridges had to cancel today’s engagement due to the flight delay.

They now plan to visit an Army canine center and then fly home.

The speech seemed heartfelt to me.

Just because a speech is pre-written, doesn’t mean things can’t be added to it. Her comment about the tour was only maybe two sentences long, so it could have easily been added after she and William finished the tour. The bulk of the speech was about the organization and the excellent work they are doing, so I’m not sure how the speech didn’t fit/didn’t have a connection to the visit.

As for the no eye contact, that seems to be a habit with members of the BRF. Most of them read their speeches straight from a paper and only occasionally look up.

Only two sentences.....even more evidence of what I was saying.

This was a speech written by an assistant from a website and an information pack. There is no personal link. She just toured the site, met the people, saw the work first hand. After 8 years as a royal you'd think she could manage more then 2 sentences about her visit, make a personal connection.

If she was giving a speech for a civics class, and teaching us about the charity, I'd give her a nine out of ten. Is was informative and well delivered. But as a speech about how she was touched by the tour and work, 5 at best.

And yes, she isnt the only royal who I think needs to actually look up when they talk. Maybe its too many years of debate coaching and working in school days, you don't gain anything by looking at your papers. You should know your speech well enough to only need to look here and there.

By and far the trip was interesting, and well done. A lot of emphasis put on the 'traditional Pakistan' bad or good. I did love the trip to the glacier and the look at global warming. It was a shame that their trip to the Kyber pass had to be cancelled though. But understandable with logistics.

I loved the funny moments. The moments where they were a bit more out of their shell and not stuffy. When they visited the kids at the hospital. Riding in a tuktuk. Today when they were playing with and walking the dogs. Their interaction with the villages up in the mountains. A nice side not often seen.

I am sure their kids will be most impressed by the helicopter ride, tuktuk and the dogs at their age.

Smiled when I heard William mention Lupo.

This was a speech written by an assistant from a website and an information pack. There is no personal link.

I’m not sure how you came to this conclusion. We have no idea who wrote the speech.

It's a great shame that their schedule had to change as it would have been interesting to see images of the Khyber Pass from the above.

Other than that, the tour has been a colourful and fascinating one and for me has highlighted the beauty and culture of that region.

Agree. This has been a really interesting tour.

According to a local reporter, William and Kate went back to SOS Village and spent 2 hours there.

A little bird told me that the Duke & Duchess enjoyed meeting the little kids at SOS Village so much that they returned the next moring & spent 2 hours at the orphanage! No photo-ops, nothing, just quality time #RoyalVisitPakistan

Link

Last edited:
And yes, she isnt the only royal who I think needs to actually look up when they talk. Maybe its too many years of debate coaching and working in school days, you don't gain anything by looking at your papers. You should know your speech well enough to only need to look here and there.

Yes, that would be the best kind of speech, but that is not an option for anyone.
I did a presentation for my fellow archaeologists this Summer. Did all the research, wrote the speech and made the Powerpoint myself.
You can be sure I read the whole thing from paper, all typed out. With the barest of eye-contact. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to say anything at all. Such are my nerves of speaking in public.
The fact that Catherine reads her speech from paper gives no indication AT ALL as to who wrote it and did the background-research. She may well have done it herself, but is just not confident enough to do the speech without paper.
I admire ANYONE who has to make speeches with such public scrutiny. I could never do it.

We were heading home. I was curled up in my aeroplane seat, eye mask on, earplugs in, when I heard the giggling.

Lifting my eye mask, I found Prince William and Kate standing next to my seat. They'd come to the back of the plane to say hello to us again and caught most of us fast asleep.

It was the third time they had made the effort to come back and chat. It may not sound like a big deal, but it doesn't usually happen on royal tours - and if it does, members of the family have never spent that long with us.

A small gesture, but one that set the tone for their trip to Pakistan. A chance for us to really find out what they had wanted to achieve on their most complex tour to date.

Read more: Sky's royal correspondent Rhiannon Mills gives a first-hand account of what it was like touring Pakistan with the royal couple.

Thank you to all who provided links for my/our enjoyment.

And thank you to Their Royal Highnesses for providing a lovely colourful tour for us to enjoy. I really wish it would be cool enough where I live to be able to wear that beautiful style of clothing.
I always admired the Duchess of Cornwalls outfits when she and Charles went on similar tours.

Rhiannon Mills' review of the tour is pretty spot on IMO. The Cambridge's have definitely done really well this time and seemed to have stepped into the role Charles and then Charles/Camilla have had for a long time. They have matured for sure and seemingly are quite happy to spend more time with the press than maybe they have in the past.

Rhiannon Mills' review of the tour is pretty spot on IMO. The Cambridge's have definitely done really well this time and seemed to have stepped into the role Charles and then Charles/Camilla have had for a long time. They have matured for sure and seemingly are quite happy to spend more time with the press than maybe they have in the past.
If they were "happy" to spend time with the press I don´t dare say, but it showed they take their duties as "modern Royals" very serious!

well by happy I meant they did so and appeared to do so with good grace, no doubt because they know the tour will only be successful if the media are onside.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge made an unexpected visit to a children's orphanage during their royal tour to Pakistan at their request after their flight was grounded by a storm.

On their return visit, the couple met some of the young graduates, who had been supported by the SOS Village and gone on to mentor some of its younger residents.

They played cricket and were also given friendship bracelets from children - a blue one for the Duke, and pink for the Duchess.

I love this from The Sunday Times

“The visit went so well that the family presented its visitors with socks. William later arranged for the family to be given a goat in return for their hospitality.”

Lovely video, I especially loved the brief interaction between William and the little boy who leaned against his knee, and how naturally William put out his hand to pat the child's back. You can see how much William and Catherine enjoyed their time with the children.

Doesn't everyone reciprocate a gift of socks with a goat? What a great story!

All this gives me hope that finally, finally someone competent is in charge of the KP PR machine. Wouldn't that be nice.

It's been great to see all the photos and videos of the Cambridges during this tour. It seemed like a success! My favourite moment, of course, was the last of the Cambridges with the army dogs.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this morning visited SOS Children’s Village, Lahore, Pakistan.

- ADDENDUM TO THE COURT CIRCULAR || 18 OCTOBER 2019

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have returned to the UK following their very successful tour of Pakistan. Their Royal Highnesses spent five days travelling around the Commonwealth country, exploring Islamabad, Lahore and the Hindu Kush Mountains.

The couple spent a lot of time with young Pakistanis, visiting an orphanage, a school and a cricket centre.

Considering how 'complex' this tour was it would have been nice for the Cambridges to address important issues like this one (especially since it was a topic that Diana spoke on a lot). Instead of taking 4 helicopters to a remote glacier to warn us about climate change. Or the constant talk about how they were dressed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...AJnrSK?ocid=st

Considering how 'complex' this tour was it would have been nice for the Cambridges to address important issues like this one (especially since it was a topic that Diana spoke on a lot). Instead of taking 4 helicopters to a remote glacier to warn us about climate change. Or the constant talk about how they were dressed.
Climate change, poverty allivietion, mental health, orphaned children, youth education, diplomatic relations... but sure you, who've been active in other threads rightly criticising the media coverage of the Sussexes, for once chose take their coverage of the sartorial choices of the Cambridges as being a true reflection of what they did during their tour. A tour deemed by Pakistan and UK alike as having been very successful. How very consistent of you.

Climate change, poverty allivietion, mental health, orphaned children, youth education, diplomatic relations... but sure you, who've been active in other threads raging against the media coverage of the Sussexes, for once chose take their coverage of the sartorial choices of the Cambridges as being a true reflection of what they did during their tour. A tour deemed by Pakistan and UK alike as having been very successful. How very consistent of you.

I don't know why you are getting personal. I simply said that for a complex (Kensington Palace & BM word) tour I would have liked to seen a topic like this covered. I didn't even criticize the Cambridges or call them names or demand they quit their roles.

The media spent more time talking about what William & Catherine were wearing...that isn't complex. Nor was there a need to take 4 helicopters to show a melting glacier & to give a speech on climate change. Here was something current and need of immediate attention and there wasn't a peep said about it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...dren-test-positive-for-hiv/ar-AAJnrSK?ocid=st
The news that the doctors were reusing syringes is heartbreaking and has now played a part in the surge of new cases. However keep in mind that both the governments of host nation (Pakistan) and the UK are the ones that have to agree to the itinerary for any foreign visit by a member of the British Royal Family. Highlighting the fact that some of the nation's health care personnel are reusing syringes and other unhygienic practices was not likely going to be a topic that Pakistan wanted to be highlighted during the visit.

Back
Top Bottom