The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-18-2019, 11:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
The video from the plane looks terrifying. Glad everyone is okay.

According to the DM article posted above (and royal reporters on Twitter), the Cambridges had to cancel today’s engagement due to the flight delay.

They now plan to visit an Army canine center and then fly home.

The speech seemed heartfelt to me.

Just because a speech is pre-written, doesn’t mean things can’t be added to it. Her comment about the tour was only maybe two sentences long, so it could have easily been added after she and William finished the tour. The bulk of the speech was about the organization and the excellent work they are doing, so I’m not sure how the speech didn’t fit/didn’t have a connection to the visit.

As for the no eye contact, that seems to be a habit with members of the BRF. Most of them read their speeches straight from a paper and only occasionally look up.
Only two sentences.....even more evidence of what I was saying.

This was a speech written by an assistant from a website and an information pack. There is no personal link. She just toured the site, met the people, saw the work first hand. After 8 years as a royal you'd think she could manage more then 2 sentences about her visit, make a personal connection.

If she was giving a speech for a civics class, and teaching us about the charity, I'd give her a nine out of ten. Is was informative and well delivered. But as a speech about how she was touched by the tour and work, 5 at best.

And yes, she isnt the only royal who I think needs to actually look up when they talk. Maybe its too many years of debate coaching and working in school days, you don't gain anything by looking at your papers. You should know your speech well enough to only need to look here and there.

By and far the trip was interesting, and well done. A lot of emphasis put on the 'traditional Pakistan' bad or good. I did love the trip to the glacier and the look at global warming. It was a shame that their trip to the Kyber pass had to be cancelled though. But understandable with logistics.

I loved the funny moments. The moments where they were a bit more out of their shell and not stuffy. When they visited the kids at the hospital. Riding in a tuktuk. Today when they were playing with and walking the dogs. Their interaction with the villages up in the mountains. A nice side not often seen.

I am sure their kids will be most impressed by the helicopter ride, tuktuk and the dogs at their age.

Smiled when I heard William mention Lupo.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
This was a speech written by an assistant from a website and an information pack. There is no personal link.
I’m not sure how you came to this conclusion. We have no idea who wrote the speech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
It's a great shame that their schedule had to change as it would have been interesting to see images of the Khyber Pass from the above.

Other than that, the tour has been a colourful and fascinating one and for me has highlighted the beauty and culture of that region.
Agree. This has been a really interesting tour.

According to a local reporter, William and Kate went back to SOS Village and spent 2 hours there.

Quote:
A little bird told me that the Duke & Duchess enjoyed meeting the little kids at SOS Village so much that they returned the next moring & spent 2 hours at the orphanage! No photo-ops, nothing, just quality time #RoyalVisitPakistan

Link

Old 10-19-2019, 02:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
And yes, she isnt the only royal who I think needs to actually look up when they talk. Maybe its too many years of debate coaching and working in school days, you don't gain anything by looking at your papers. You should know your speech well enough to only need to look here and there.
Yes, that would be the best kind of speech, but that is not an option for anyone.
I did a presentation for my fellow archaeologists this Summer. Did all the research, wrote the speech and made the Powerpoint myself.
You can be sure I read the whole thing from paper, all typed out. With the barest of eye-contact. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to say anything at all. Such are my nerves of speaking in public.
The fact that Catherine reads her speech from paper gives no indication AT ALL as to who wrote it and did the background-research. She may well have done it herself, but is just not confident enough to do the speech without paper.
I admire ANYONE who has to make speeches with such public scrutiny. I could never do it.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
We were heading home. I was curled up in my aeroplane seat, eye mask on, earplugs in, when I heard the giggling.

Lifting my eye mask, I found Prince William and Kate standing next to my seat. They'd come to the back of the plane to say hello to us again and caught most of us fast asleep.

It was the third time they had made the effort to come back and chat. It may not sound like a big deal, but it doesn't usually happen on royal tours - and if it does, members of the family have never spent that long with us.

A small gesture, but one that set the tone for their trip to Pakistan. A chance for us to really find out what they had wanted to achieve on their most complex tour to date.
Read more: Sky's royal correspondent Rhiannon Mills gives a first-hand account of what it was like touring Pakistan with the royal couple.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you to all who provided links for my/our enjoyment.

And thank you to Their Royal Highnesses for providing a lovely colourful tour for us to enjoy. I really wish it would be cool enough where I live to be able to wear that beautiful style of clothing.
I always admired the Duchess of Cornwalls outfits when she and Charles went on similar tours.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Rhiannon Mills' review of the tour is pretty spot on IMO. The Cambridge's have definitely done really well this time and seemed to have stepped into the role Charles and then Charles/Camilla have had for a long time. They have matured for sure and seemingly are quite happy to spend more time with the press than maybe they have in the past.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Rhiannon Mills' review of the tour is pretty spot on IMO. The Cambridge's have definitely done really well this time and seemed to have stepped into the role Charles and then Charles/Camilla have had for a long time. They have matured for sure and seemingly are quite happy to spend more time with the press than maybe they have in the past.
If they were "happy" to spend time with the press I don´t dare say, but it showed they take their duties as "modern Royals" very serious!
Old 10-19-2019, 04:15 PM
Heir Apparent

well by happy I meant they did so and appeared to do so with good grace, no doubt because they know the tour will only be successful if the media are onside.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:19 AM
Majesty

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge made an unexpected visit to a children's orphanage during their royal tour to Pakistan at their request after their flight was grounded by a storm.

On their return visit, the couple met some of the young graduates, who had been supported by the SOS Village and gone on to mentor some of its younger residents.

They played cricket and were also given friendship bracelets from children - a blue one for the Duke, and pink for the Duchess.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:19 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

KP have just posted a lovely behind the scenes video of the tour;

https://www.instagram.com/p/B32BlN5l...d=wy4nqdarqr0i
Old 10-20-2019, 11:24 AM
Majesty

I love this from The Sunday Times

“The visit went so well that the family presented its visitors with socks. William later arranged for the family to be given a goat in return for their hospitality.”
Old 10-20-2019, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Lovely video, I especially loved the brief interaction between William and the little boy who leaned against his knee, and how naturally William put out his hand to pat the child's back. You can see how much William and Catherine enjoyed their time with the children.

Doesn't everyone reciprocate a gift of socks with a goat? What a great story!

All this gives me hope that finally, finally someone competent is in charge of the KP PR machine. Wouldn't that be nice.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:59 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

It's been great to see all the photos and videos of the Cambridges during this tour. It seemed like a success! My favourite moment, of course, was the last of the Cambridges with the army dogs.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 10-21-2019, 02:40 PM
Majesty

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this morning visited SOS Children’s Village, Lahore, Pakistan.

- ADDENDUM TO THE COURT CIRCULAR || 18 OCTOBER 2019
Old 10-21-2019, 04:13 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

We have some new pictures from a private visit to British High Commission;

https://twitter.com/hrhduchesskate/s...644451329?s=21
Old 10-22-2019, 03:35 PM
Majesty

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have returned to the UK following their very successful tour of Pakistan. Their Royal Highnesses spent five days travelling around the Commonwealth country, exploring Islamabad, Lahore and the Hindu Kush Mountains.

The couple spent a lot of time with young Pakistanis, visiting an orphanage, a school and a cricket centre.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:22 AM
Nobility

Considering how 'complex' this tour was it would have been nice for the Cambridges to address important issues like this one (especially since it was a topic that Diana spoke on a lot). Instead of taking 4 helicopters to a remote glacier to warn us about climate change. Or the constant talk about how they were dressed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...AJnrSK?ocid=st
Old 10-28-2019, 09:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaiSoSo View Post
Considering how 'complex' this tour was it would have been nice for the Cambridges to address important issues like this one (especially since it was a topic that Diana spoke on a lot). Instead of taking 4 helicopters to a remote glacier to warn us about climate change. Or the constant talk about how they were dressed.
Climate change, poverty allivietion, mental health, orphaned children, youth education, diplomatic relations... but sure you, who've been active in other threads rightly criticising the media coverage of the Sussexes, for once chose take their coverage of the sartorial choices of the Cambridges as being a true reflection of what they did during their tour. A tour deemed by Pakistan and UK alike as having been very successful. How very consistent of you.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:28 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Climate change, poverty allivietion, mental health, orphaned children, youth education, diplomatic relations... but sure you, who've been active in other threads raging against the media coverage of the Sussexes, for once chose take their coverage of the sartorial choices of the Cambridges as being a true reflection of what they did during their tour. A tour deemed by Pakistan and UK alike as having been very successful. How very consistent of you.
I don't know why you are getting personal. I simply said that for a complex (Kensington Palace & BM word) tour I would have liked to seen a topic like this covered. I didn't even criticize the Cambridges or call them names or demand they quit their roles.

The media spent more time talking about what William & Catherine were wearing...that isn't complex. Nor was there a need to take 4 helicopters to show a melting glacier & to give a speech on climate change. Here was something current and need of immediate attention and there wasn't a peep said about it.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaiSoSo View Post

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...AJnrSK?ocid=st
The news that the doctors were reusing syringes is heartbreaking and has now played a part in the surge of new cases. However keep in mind that both the governments of host nation (Pakistan) and the UK are the ones that have to agree to the itinerary for any foreign visit by a member of the British Royal Family. Highlighting the fact that some of the nation's health care personnel are reusing syringes and other unhygienic practices was not likely going to be a topic that Pakistan wanted to be highlighted during the visit.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duke of cambridge, official visit, pakistan