The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-17-2019, 07:02 AM
Majesty

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visited Pakistan's National Cricket Academy on the fourth day of their royal tour to the country. Both Prince William and Catherine got stuck in with some batting and spoke to children participating in the British Council's DOSTI programme in Lahore.

They also met some of Pakistan's cricketing legends and were presented with cricket bats as presents for Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:29 AM
Nobility

Duchess speech on family is very moving. I feel the same way when it come to family and community. It does take a village to raise a child.

The duchess takes her sport very seriously :) She could have been a sportswoman!

Great article from CNN
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/17/asia/...ntl/index.html

Old 10-17-2019, 09:51 AM
Majesty

When William & Kate left the Badshahi mosque they were told by Honorary Consul Fakir Aijaz Uddin, “If there’s one word to describe your visit it is ‘joy.’ You have radiated joy wherever you have been.” William replied: “We are very happy people.”

- Simon Perry
Old 10-17-2019, 11:19 AM
Heir Apparent

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/10/17/a...ntl/index.html

Quote:
It's a fresh take on soft diplomacy and Prince William is being talked about as an increasingly powerful asset in British diplomatic circles.
They point to his visit to Jerusalem and the West Bank last year when he found himself being dragged into discussions about how to find a route to peace. Unperturbed, the duke listened, asked questions and then moved on, making everyone he met feel heard.
He's not one to avoid sensitive debate like his grandmother but has managed to adopt her ability to hide his personal thoughts. He has strong opinions but knows he will need to keep them to himself as king and anything he reveals now will be remembered.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:25 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

RAF Voyager has had to abort it’s landing in Islamabad due to bad weather. The plane has returned to Lahore.

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/sta...002793478?s=21
Old 10-17-2019, 11:50 AM
Majesty

“The Duke later came back to see the press pack was fine and joked he had been flying.”

Ben Farmer Twitter

“Fortunately William has taken it in his stride - he just came back down the plane to see if we were ok and joked that he was flying!”

Rebecca English Twitter
Old 10-17-2019, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
RAF Voyager has had to abort it’s landing in Islamabad due to bad weather. The plane has returned to Lahore.

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/sta...002793478?s=21
Well, that's going to throw a spanner in the works. Cue mad reshuffling of the schedule and logistics.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:25 PM
Majesty

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visited a children's cancer hospital in Lahore, Pakistan. Prince William's mother, Princess Diana, visited the hospital in 1996 and 1997. She was shown around by Dr Aasim Yusuf, the same man who showed William and Kate around the cancer unit today.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
Well, that's going to throw a spanner in the works. Cue mad reshuffling of the schedule and logistics.
With all the security issues and worries, it turns out that the real culprit that would throw the tour into a frenzy is Mother Nature, herself. Go figure.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:41 PM
Majesty

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have visited SOS Children’s Village in Pakistan. The private social welfare organisation provides a home and family structure to over 150 young girls and boys who are either orphans or have been abandoned.

The village promotes the development of children into happy, confident and resilient adults. Catherine gave a passionate speech and even spoke some Urdu, the official language of Pakistan.

Old 10-17-2019, 12:49 PM
Heir Apparent

What a lovely speech. She is such a beam of sunshine and great asset for the brf.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:51 PM
Royal Highness

So far I've seen the focus has been on fashion and recreating Diana's time in Pakistan. What else is being done? Kate's speech was ok on delivery but good on sentiment.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
With all the security issues and worries, it turns out that the real culprit that would throw the tour into a frenzy is Mother Nature, herself. Go figure.
I love how William goes back to the press pack after and tells them he was flying! lol

LaRae
Old 10-17-2019, 02:05 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
So far I've seen the focus has been on fashion and recreating Diana's time in Pakistan. What else is being done? Kate's speech was ok on delivery but good on sentiment.
I don't understand this comment? What do you mean by what else is being done?

There's been no recreation, and I have frankly seen no focus on what Catherine or William wore above anything we normally see in the UK.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

The news feeds have been full of what the Cambridges have been doing, in a very packed schedule, with multiple substantive engagements every day. They do need time to sleep, but aside from that this has been a very active tour.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:58 PM
Nobility

It is a diplomatic mission that covered Pakistan culture, girls education, sports, climate changes and meetings with local people (sick children, Mosque, interfaith conversations) and meetings with country's leaders! (Prime MInister, President). The news covered all that - but I guess we all see what we want to see.

I have enjoyed this tour very much!!! and I am inspired by the royals and people of Pakistan. If I get an opportunity to visit pakistan, I will definitely go visit.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:33 PM
Courtier

I know it is considered respectful diplomacy to local cultures when official visitors wear their hosts’ traditional local clothes.

But when visiting UK or Western Countries, the foreign official visitors and diplomats, do not wear their host countries’ traditional clothes.

For examples, when High Commissioners or Ambassadors from these countries visit the Monarchy on an official event, or to present their credentials, they wear their own countries’ traditional clothes.

By the way, when Queen Elizabeth II visited Pakistan in 1961 and again in 1997, she just wore her own normal clothes, not the Pakistani clothes, and it was okay.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:04 PM
Majesty

Here’s just a few articles on Catherine’s diplomatic dressing

Huffington Post: Kate’s Royal Tour Outfits Are Making Pakistani Fans Proud Of Their Culture

Mail Online: Kate is praised for 'channelling eastern elegance' as Pakistan's media are charmed by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge during their visit to the country

CNN: Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge spotlights the country's designers on five-day Pakistan tour

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge today carried out the following engagements in Lahore, Pakistan.

> Their Royal Highnesses this morning attended a Meeting with the Governor of Punjab (Chaudhry Muhammad Sarwar) and Sardar Usman Buzdar (Chief Minister of Punjab) at Lahore Airport.

> The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this afternoon visited the SOS Children’s Village.

> Their Royal Highnesses afterwards visited the National Cricket Academy.

> The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge later visited the Badshahi Mosque.

> Their Royal Highnesses subsequently attended a Meeting with Faith Leaders at the Badshahi Mosque.

> The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge afterwards visited Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre.

- COURT CIRCULAR || 17 OCTOBER 2019
Old 10-17-2019, 07:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
I know it is considered respectful diplomacy to local cultures when official visitors wear their hosts’ traditional local clothes.

But when visiting UK or Western Countries, the foreign official visitors and diplomats, do not wear their host countries’ traditional clothes.

For examples, when High Commissioners or Ambassadors from these countries visit the Monarchy on an official event, or to present their credentials, they wear their own countries’ traditional clothes.

By the way, when Queen Elizabeth II visited Pakistan in 1961 and again in 1997, she just wore her own normal clothes, not the Pakistani clothes, and it was okay.

Some visiting heads of state, especially from the Indian subcontinent and the Arabian peninsula , wear traditional clothes at gala events in the UK, but the emperor and empress of Japan for example wore western clothes at state banquets both overseas and at home. I believe the president of South Korea also wore white-tie tailcoat in Denmark. So I don’t think it is a rule that they must always wear traditional clothes.

I think it was a nice diplomatic gesture on William’s part considering Britain’s past colonial history in Pakistan.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post

I think it was a lovely gesture and also, it wouldn't surprise me if they were asked to wear more local dress as another way to showcase Pakistani culture by the Pakistani government.

I wear local dress when I am in Pakistan or other parts of the sub-continent because within that setting, people really appreciate it and it also just helps me to blend in more. I think each tour and such is a case by case basis dependent on the history of the country with the UK and aims of the tour.

This tour has basically been one massive tourist advert for the country--by design. Local dress is part of that and for the most part, Kate has nailed it and William's sherwani was an especially nice touch.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duke of cambridge, official visit, pakistan