Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Official Visit to India - April 10-16, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love this quote from Shah Rukh Khan.

Asked what his first impressions of the Duchess were, Khan said: "Is it OK to say she's extremely beautiful and elegant? Well she is. If they spend more time here I think they'll love it. I could definitely show them a good time. I'll take them out."

Love this quote from Shah Rukh Khan.

Asked what his first impressions of the Duchess were, Khan said: "Is it OK to say she's extremely beautiful and elegant? Well she is. If they spend more time here I think they'll love it. I could definitely show them a good time. I'll take them out."

Ok We all know he is a great man, but why can't a common man greet them? The country belongs to them too not just the stars or the ones in designer clothes?

and Where are the real people from India? I only see the white and high casts ones who supress THE poor. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
This event wasn't put on by Bollywood. It was the British Asian Trust, which Prince Charles established and is President. the press may have focused on the Bolly wood aspect but diplomatic, business, charities, sport and Bollywood were represented.

So Bollywood were guests, not hosts.

Exactly. The invitations were sent out by the High Commissioner in partnership with the British Asian Trust.

Here's William's speech.

https://www.gov.uk/government/world...ly-has-a-long-and-proud-connection-with-india

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

If William and Catherine haven't seen a Bollywood movie before coming to India, it's not the biggest of deals. I'm sure if it would have been perceived as 'important', then their advisors would have made sure that the couple saw one. William was honest and didn't try to cover up his lack of exposure to this particular genre. It's not something that needs to be headline news.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
I agree. There are many other facets to their visit: conservation, sports, aid to children, the economy etc...that they would be preparing for prior to their visit. IMO it's refreshing for a public figure to give an honest answer.

Last edited:
and Where are the real people from India? I only see the white and high casts ones who supress THE poor. :(

You didn't therefore see the children playing cricket and football then - they are from the slums and poor districts of Mumbai - in other words they are the poor.

I also suspect that those children were more impressed in seeing Sachin Tendulkar than William and Kate as he has almost god-like status in India. He can't even go outside his home without being swamped by the Indian public.

You didn't therefore see the children playing cricket and football then - they are from the slums and poor districts of Mumbai - in other words they are the poor.

I also suspect that those children were more impressed in seeing Sachin Tendulkar than William and Kate as he has almost god-like status in India. He can't even go outside his home without being swamped by the Indian public.

And then there was the Tour on the bus and the visit to the poor areas.

But to see Sachin, the Little Master, must have been the best!

This event wasn't put on by Bollywood. It was the British Asian Trust, which Prince Charles established and is President. the press may have focused on the Bolly wood aspect but diplomatic, business, charities, sport and Bollywood were represented.

Thank you for sharing the facts about the event cepe. :)

Maybe so, but the International Business Times report notes re William and Kate spending an hour chatting with guests at the reception, "The couple mingled with India's most celebrated personalities from the worlds of film, sport and commerce, but Bollywood dominated with actors Aamir Khan, Madhuri Dixit-Nene, Shilpa Shetty, director and producer Karan Johar, Slumdog Millionaire star Anil Kapoor with Sonam and Arjun Kapoor, veteran stars Rishi Kapoor and wife Neetu Singh, Hrithik Roshan and Farhan Akhtar all eager to welcome the royal visitors to their beautiful city."

The reception was in Mumbai, the centre of Bollywood, where the Bollywood studios are located. Though Indian films might be seen as a peripheral novelty to many Western filmgoers, the Bollywood film industry is classified as the biggest movie industry in the world in terms of amount of people employed and number of films produced. William knew he was going to meet these famous actors, and I consider that he ought to have made a point of viewing a few of the classic and modern Bollywood films before he went to their city and met with the actors and other movie industry figures and I think it was arrogant and insulting of him to not have made the effort. Even one would be better than none. But this is the President of BAFTA who does not go to BAFTA functions even when they are held in the palace in which he has one of his homes, so I suppose we should not be surprised.

Last edited:
Kate's cool in cream: Duchess of Cambridge picks £1,100 dress by one of her favourite designers as she and William face 38C heat on second day of India tour | Daily Mail Online

The reception was in Mumbai, the centre of Bollywood, where the Bollywood studios are located. Though Indian films might be seen as a peripheral novelty to many Western filmgoers, the Bollywood film industry is classified as the biggest movie industry in the world in terms of amount of people employed and number of films produced. William knew he was going to meet these famous actors, and I consider that he ought to have made a point of viewing a few of the classic and modern Bollywood films before he went to their city and met with the actors and other movie industry figures and I think it was arrogant and insulting of him to not have made the effort. Even one would be better than none. But this is the President of BAFTA who does not go to BAFTA functions even when they are held in the palace in which he has one of his homes, so I suppose we should not be surprised.

:previous:
This!
How can you meet a legend of the genre (SRK) and tell him you've never watched a movie with him. To me it's arrogance, laziness, being unprepared, not really being interested in the people you are privileged enough to meet.

I don't think it would have hurt William (or Kate) to have seen a couple of Bollywood films released in 2015. William knew he was going to be mingling with actors and actresses from the Indian film industry. It may well have harnessed some extra good will.

Have there been Airport photos? The DM reports they are getting about the two countries with use of a private jet. Any pictures of that, or are they skipping the airport arrival ceremonies this trip?
I'm also not seeing pics of the AM in Mumbai? Ah found them buried in the badly written DM article. Odd that they mention all the confetti with no pictures of it?

Last edited:
KP on overdrive for good publicity - but it was nice to see they met with the 93year old man in Mumbai. As many have said William and Kate on tour are a magic combination and they shine but then they are at hoe something just doesn't click as much

Have there been Airport photos? The DM reports they are getting about the two countries with use of a private jet. Any pictures of that, or are they skipping the airport arrival ceremonies this trip?
I'm also not seeing pics of the AM in Mumbai? Ah found them buried in the badly written DM article. Odd that they mention all the confetti with no pictures of it?

I'm not sure about the matter, but it was told that W&K arrived on a shceduled flight yesterday morning in Mumbai. The flight was not private, but was a standard public flight of the British Airways, hence, no pictures for obvious reasons. Today's flight looked indeed like a private jet trip since only KP posted a picture form the wind of the aircraft on their twitter page.

William did a private investiture this morning. No pics but we may discover who it was in the CC

I'm not sure about the matter, but it was told that W&K arrived on a shceduled flight yesterday morning in Mumbai. The flight was not private, but was a standard public flight of the British Airways, hence, no pictures for obvious reasons. Today's flight looked indeed like a private jet trip since only KP posted a picture form the wind of the aircraft on their twitter page.

Usually incountry flights are on a government plane. They fly to/from UK on scheduled flights other than when Canada came and picked them up.

Usually incountry flights are on a government plane. They fly to/from UK on scheduled flights other than when Canada came and picked them up.

In fact, I said I was not sure about today' flight.

William did a private investiture this morning. No pics but we may discover who it was in the CC

Yeah, it was something he and Catherine attended but I thought we would get pictures of it.

william and specially kate are looking very tired during this visit. understandably, i feel for them. i guess showing up a few days earlier, given all the media excitement, is not an option for high ranking royals.

i am not the biggest fan of her white dress, although it is a perfectly nice choice - it's just that kate is always an amazing dresser, so we feel a bit short changed with this one... :)

particularly bad is that none of her field staff warned her of the high winds. not a good pairing with that skirt! i read that for this tour her staff traveled to all the places and even took pictures so that they could choose colours for her clothes that suited the scenery - shame that a detail as the potential for wind was not thought about. a wreath laying ceremony is a serious formal affair, and having kate's skirt flying about or having to hold her skirt awkwardly as she was standing in front of the memorial doesn't look right.

i feel for them having to brave the heat - it must be exhausting, particularly paired with the jet lag.

i wish she would have gone easier on the make up, particularly during the day - to me it looks too heavy. kate is such a beautiful lady, she doesn't need a huge cast of make up to look her best.

Videos:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge continue their tour of India meeting young entrepreneurs in Mumbai before travelling to the Indian capital. Prince William and Kate Middleton played cricket with Cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar yesterday after laying a wreath at the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in honour of the victims of the Mumbai Terror attacks in 2008-

Home - ITNSource News

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge began their maiden trip to India in a sombre mood as they paid tribute to victims of the 2008 Mumbai attacks. Laying a wreath of white lilies on a candle-lit memorial to the 32 staff and guests who perished at the Taj Mahal Palace hotel.A message with the floral tribute read: "In memory of those who lost their lives and those injured in the senseless atrocities at the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel. William, Catherine."
Home - ITNSource News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom