Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 7: September 2016-September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No 10's comms team is incompetent & some politicians in the devolved administrations downright churlish.

Edit: should have said downright bloody churlish.:D

Last edited:
That doesn’t do zip...pleased or not, the PM publicly not supporting William and Kate is a bad look. It shows that there’s no communication between he and the BRF, and it shows that there seems to be a break between them. It also obviously means that the government didn’t initiate this tour idea, but...I can’t imagine the BRF deciding on their own to do this?

The only people this reflects poorly on imo is the government. There’s no way the BRF just up and did this imo.

In my eyes, the whole tour was spreading the spirit of Christmas with peace and good will to all they met. That's what really matters. Guidelines were followed due to the pandemic and there were a lot of smiles behind masks, I'd imagine.

The government and the media who only look for things to disapprove of is to be expected but ask anyone that actually saw/met with William and Catherine and I'll bet my last cream cheese danish that they thought it was wonderfully done. ?

As I saw somewhere online and think is worth pointing out - Scottish MPs still move between their homes and Westminster, Welsh MPs do the same and members of the devolved assemblies do the same to be able to attend work, the irony of Downing Street even suggesting it wouldn't be happy with W&Ks actions after some of the actions of others they have gone out of their way to defend is mind blowing.

Anyway politics aside, what a lovely trip, every one they met seems to have been uplifted by it and it does all seem to have been done as safely as possible. Love that they ended by visiting the Queen and lovely seeing the RF together, the picture of them all hits home how this is now the Queen's team and how much has changed over the last year.

Okay. We’re on the same page then. [emoji4]

Oh of course ! My point here, in case I wasn’t clear, is that the government looks terrible and completely out of touch...like Scrooges, if you will. William and Kate, the BRF, are trying to bring a little cheer to people and these petty politicians want to deny that ...

In general the Scots and the Welsh are less enthusiastic, shall we say, about the BRF than say people in the Home Counties. I'd argue that the further North you travel in England the less royalist sentiment there is, as well.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/royal-family-support-wales-queen-17299194

Therefore Scottish and Welsh politicians and officials are probably just reflecting the views of their constituents about this train visit.

Last edited:
If there is reliable data showing that the majority of people in Wales & Scotland want a republic then I will eat my hat.?

So I'm not so sure that sour faced Holyrood & Senned Cymru politicians do accurately reflect public opinion in their nations.

The statement:

“I am a strong supporter of the continued reign of the Royal Family."

is nonsensical to start with.

There is definitely difference in attitudes towards the monarchy across the UK but not radically so. Nor is difference just geographical. It's a lot more nuanced than that. You gov seems a lot more reliable for this sort of question.

Last edited:
In general the Scots and the Welsh are enthusiastic, shall we say, about the BRF than say people in the Home Counties. I'd argue that the further North you travel in England the less royalist sentiment there is, as well.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/royal-family-support-wales-queen-17299194

Therefore Scottish and Welsh politicians and officials are probably just reflecting the views of their constituents about this train visit.

Thank you Curryong for the link to the Wales Online article and your take on the view of the monarchy across different regions. Your view is reflected in a YouGov poll, where the Rest of South (outside London) has the highest support of the continuation of the monarchy with 76%, followed by Midlands/Wales (67%), North (64%), London (58%) and Scotland (57%).

This was based on the question "Do you think Britain should continue to have a monarchy in the future, or should it be replaced with an elected head of state?". There were three options
Should continue to have a monarchy
Should have an elected head of state instead
Don't know​

I'm not keen on how YouGov put Midlands and Wales together, not in separate categories.

Link to the full results of the survey, including other questions: https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/tnt8vkmjp1/YouGov - Future of Royal Family Results.pdf

On a lighter note, there was a cat walking behind William and Catherine, as they were talking to staffs at Cleeve Court Care Home in Bath.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge @KensingtonRoyal
Special guest at the next visit [Cat]
[Round pushpin] Bath | [Steam locomotive] #RoyalTrainTour
11:53 PM · Dec 8, 2020·Twitter for iPhone​

Edited: Durham, You beat me to it on the YouGov poll! Speaking of the devil himself (YouGov)

Last edited:
Scotland is not a region of course but a nation. Attitudes across Scotland will vary in the same way as do in England. Clydeside is not the Borders after all.

Looking at the data from the independence poll for instance shows divisions across Scotland very clearly.

People are backwards and forwards across the borders all the time. If I drive down to Shropshire on the A483, I cross between England and Wales every couple of miles, because of the way the road goes! And I once ended up in Scotland by accident when I was in Northumberland: we wandered across a pretty bridge in a park and were surprised to find a "Welcome to Scotland" sign. Loads of people live in one country and work in another.

I don't think this is anything to do with reflecting how monarchist or otherwise local views are, and I certainly don't think it's anything against William and Kate - it's just politicians not wanting to be reminded that they are still part of a United Kingdom. It's unfortunate for William and Kate that they've been used to score political points: it's someone else's argument and they were just trying to do something nice.

I think this trip was ill advised because of the blowback it's getting. The Cambridges are not wearing masks at every event. Politicians are coming for them . William and Kate are getting dragged on social media; the trip has been dubbed the Pandemic Express. The attempt by No 10 to do clean up is too little too late. The damage has been done.

I think this trip was ill advised because of the blowback it's getting. The Cambridges are not wearing masks at every event. Politicians are coming for them . William and Kate are getting dragged on social media; the trip has been dubbed the Pandemic Express. The attempt by No 10 to do clean up is too little too late. The damage has been done.

Only if you believed the ludicrous and vile republicans/anti-monarchists on social media, who seem to make the most noises, but do not represent the UK public. :whistling:

You only have to wear mask in enclosed area, not outside and need to "stay at least 2 metres apart - or 1 metre with a face covering or other precautions"
https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

Two politicians (Nicola Sturgeon and Vaughan Gething) gave chilly response that doesn't mean all or most politicians. Two of the reasons you don't here more politicians defending the Cambridges is that they are focusing on Brexit negotiation at the end of transition period and the commencement of Pfizer COVID-19 vaccination :whistling:

And the first Number 10 response was not coming directly from the Prime Minister himself, but his unorganised staff and incompetent communication team. George Freeman (Conservative MP) defended the Cambridges

Sarah Vine (Columnist at the Daily Mail) has also praised the Cambridges and criticised Nicola Sturgeon and Vaughan Gething. Sarah Vine's husband is Michael Gove (Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster & Minister for the Cabinet Office, Conservative MP of Surrey Heath)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/...Britain.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ico=taboola_feed

Last edited:
Just some context - there are two downing street press briefings each day (off camera) so it is IMO entirely possible that in the first when asked about the tour they simply referred it to the Palace (no real biggie and better than getting involved in Royal matters) but when that was spun into not supporting it a statement/comment was put out. Awful PR job by supposed PR experts but hardly the same as the PM not supporting it.

I think this was a lovely tour and a perfect Christmas cheer up, the most important thing IMO is that those they visited seemed made up by it.

Only if you believed the ludicrous and vile republicans/anti-monarchists on social media, who seem to make the most noises, but do not represent the UK public. :whistling:

You only have to wear mask in enclosed area, not outside and need to "stay at least 2 metres apart - or 1 metre with a face covering or other precautions"
https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

Two politicians (Nicola Sturgeon and Vaughan Gething) gave chilly response that doesn't mean all or most politicians. Two of the reasons you don't here more politicians defending the Cambridges is that they are focusing on Brexit negotiation at the end of transition period and the commencement of Pfizer COVID-19 vaccination :whistling:

And the first Number 10 response was not coming directly from the Prime Minister himself, but his unorganised staff and incompetent communication team. George Freeman (Conservative MP) defended the Cambridges

Sarah Vine (Columnist at the Daily Mail) has also praised the Cambridges and criticised Nicola Sturgeon and Vaughan Gething. Sarah Vine's husband is Michael Gove (Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster & Minister for the Cabinet Office, Conservative MP of Surrey Heath)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/...Britain.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ico=taboola_feed

I think Sarah Vine did go rather over the top. I mean, I love William and Kate also, but she made it sound like they are the only Royals doing anything meaningful........and while Harry and Meghan leaving was unfortunate, the BRF has handled their absence brilliantly. The brightest stars? I guess if you think wattage is important. This is NOT a criticism of H and M - my point is, others like Charles and Anne did far more, so their work shouldn't be sort of shuffled aside.

That said, I think she's spot on about Sturgeon, etc.

Just some context - there are two downing street press briefings each day (off camera) so it is IMO entirely possible that in the first when asked about the tour they simply referred it to the Palace (no real biggie and better than getting involved in Royal matters) but when that was spun into not supporting it a statement/comment was put out. Awful PR job by supposed PR experts but hardly the same as the PM not supporting it.

I think this was a lovely tour and a perfect Christmas cheer up, the most important thing IMO is that those they visited seemed made up by it.

But, if I recall, they didn't just refer it to the Palace, they seemed rather put out by the tour.

Thanks for clarifying, though. I have to laugh that the PR people whose job it is to make the PM look good did anything but!

I think Sarah Vine did go rather over the top. I mean, I love William and Kate also, but she made it sound like they are the only Royals doing anything meaningful........and while Harry and Meghan leaving was unfortunate, the BRF has handled their absence brilliantly. The brightest stars? I guess if you think wattage is important. This is NOT a criticism of H and M - my point is, others like Charles and Anne did far more, so their work shouldn't be sort of shuffled aside.

I read Sarah Vine's article and have to agree with you especially since she didn't include the work of Charles, Anne, the Wessexes, Gloucesters, Kents and of course HM QEII.

I read Sarah Vine's article and have to agree with you especially since she didn't include the work of Charles, Anne, the Wessexes, Gloucesters, Kents and of course HM QEII.

Yes, I think her argument about William and Kate’s effectiveness is undercut by her ignoring the very important work of the the others. It’s just kind of hard to take her seriously when she engages in such hyperbole ...

The DCMS (Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport) has posted several tweets (and also re-tweet) about this tour for every stops.

(London)

@KensingtonRoyal
have departed on a UK #RoyalTrainTour to thank frontline workers and volunteers for their work and showcase the UK’s rich arts, heritage and live performance sector, which has been supported by the Government’s £1.57 billion #CultureRecoveryFund

#HereForCulture
Shakin’ Stevens sang as
@KensingtonRoyal
set off on a #RoyalTrainTour to thank frontline workers and volunteers and showcase the arts, heritage and live performance sector, which has been supported by the Government’s £1.57 billion #CultureRecoveryFund

#HereForCulture

(Edinburgh)
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge set off from Edinburgh on their #RoyalTrainTour this morning which will thank frontline workers and volunteers and showcase the UK’s rich arts, heritage and live performance sector

#HereForCulture

(Batley)
A poignant stop on the #RoyalTrainTour

For advice and guidance about loneliness, visit the #LetsTalkLoneliness website: http://letstalkloneliness.co.uk

(Berwick)
https://twitter.com/DCMS/status/1336258550469898242
“To have the #CultureRecoveryFund come up and offer money - it gives us life, it gives us hope and it gives us a way forward for the future.”

In Berwick, the Earl Grey Saxes, who regularly play at The Maltings, performed for
@KensingtonRoyal
's #RoyalTrainTour

(Manchester)
https://twitter.com/DCMS/status/1336288765023842304

@BandOnTheWall
is a legendary music venue in Manchester, which has received £211k from the #CultureRecoveryFund.

On their #RoyalTrainTour,
@KensingtonRoyal
enjoyed music from a gospel choir who are regular performers at the venue.

https://dcms.shorthandstories.com/-hereforculture-band-on-the-wall-royaltraintour/index.html

#HereForCulture

(Cardiff)
https://twitter.com/DCMS/status/1336294106058924035
#CultureRecoveryFund supported
@SambaGalez
performed at
@Cardiff_Castle
today, welcoming
@KensingtonRoyal
on the second day of their #RoyalTrainTour

Find out more about the government is #HereForCulture: http://hereforculture.campaign.gov.uk
https://twitter.com/DCMS/status/1336349090146365440

(Bath - retweeting Oliver Dowden)
https://twitter.com/OliverDowden/status/1336347718265016328
@BathAbbey
choir’s performance for
@KensingtonRoyal
today was a glimpse of the stunning music they bring to Bath Abbey which has been supported by the £1.57bn #CultureRecoveryFund

#HereForCulture
@cj_dinenage
#Bath

Based on those, I don't buy that this tour was not at the request of the UK government.

Thanks for this - I thought so before, but this comes straight from the horse’s mouth

The £1.57 billion Culture Recovery Fund that kept being mentioned makes me wonder whether this is the point of the tour. I mean, if it's only about thanking those ppl, the usual zoom call (plus formal letter maybe) would be suffice - though in person visit is better. But it would be hard to showcase the performance (the gov fund stuff) through call, hence in-person visit.

Yes, I think her argument about William and Kate’s effectiveness is undercut by her ignoring the very important work of the the others. It’s just kind of hard to take her seriously when she engages in such hyperbole ...

Exactly! Unfortunate when journalists engage in this tactic.

Exactly! Unfortunate when journalists engage in this tactic.
They always over praise the RF unless its a negative story or the royals not very popular. And WIll and Kate are the stars of the show in the future, htey are youngish, Kate is pretty and she's just started to do more work and has the charm of novelty....

Novelty? Next year Kate will have been married and in the BRF for ten years!

I think the language and style was hyperbolic but she made some good points.

Over the past year we’ve been able to see how William and Kate work in a crisis and they haven’t wobbled. They weren’t distracted by the drama surrounding Harry and Meghan. They adjusted well to the changes imposed by COVID and moved forward with their longer term projects and causes as planned. They kept their personal issues and worries to themselves and remained calm, professional and pleasant in public.

I don’t know what William is like behind closed doors but I’ve thought for awhile now that his style as a working royal is an updated version of that of QEII. You know what you get with both of them. They’re never going to give you a big display of fireworks but they’re also never going to burn the house down.

I think the language and style was hyperbolic but she made some good points.

Over the past year we’ve been able to see how William and Kate work in a crisis and they haven’t wobbled. They weren’t distracted by the drama surrounding Harry and Meghan. They adjusted well to the changes imposed by COVID and moved forward with their longer term projects and causes as planned. They kept their personal issues and worries to themselves and remained calm, professional and pleasant in public.

I don’t know what William is like behind closed doors but I’ve thought for awhile now that his style as a working royal is an updated version of that of QEII. You know what you get with both of them. They’re never going to give you a big display of fireworks but they’re also never going to burn the house down.

Don't get me wrong (TLLK was responding to my post) - my issue was not with praising William and Kate, who have been marvelous. My issue was with Sarah Vine completely ignoring Charles, Camilla, Anne, Edward, Sophie.......HM, of course... They have ALL been brilliant, and SV didn't acknowledge them at all.

I think the monarchy is in excellent hands post- Queen, between Charles and William.

Don't get me wrong (TLLK was responding to my post) - my issue was not with praising William and Kate, who have been marvelous. My issue was with Sarah Vine completely ignoring Charles, Camilla, Anne, Edward, Sophie.......HM, of course... They have ALL been brilliant, and SV didn't acknowledge them at all.

I think the monarchy is in excellent hands post- Queen, between Charles and William.
That might be because the Cambridges handled it the best out of all working royals. They were the most visible, between all the Zoom calls and two big(ger) projects this year (William's football thing, Catherine's Early Years). And I'm not saying that other royals were not doing anything, just that the Cambridges found the way to keep up with their work in this new reality the best. It might be their age, their team being fairly young, who knows, but they handled it all like champions and british public noticed.

Though I'll also say that, for me, it's Catherine and Sophie, who covered the most ground through the pandemic. But after all these years I got used to Sophie basically being ignored :whistling:

I think that with the pandemic, people saw the Cambridges as "a family like their own" going through the lock downs and the schools closing and even seeing a member of that family affected by Covid-19, himself (William). The kids were very much involved with the sign making and the clapping and that showed that the family was just as affected and "making do" like the majority of the people in the UK. People identified with what the Cambridges were doing and even saw them working from home.

The majority of the senior BRF are classified as "older" and to isolate as they did was expected. Charles was the first member of the family to be infected but isolating away was different. No kids to manage. Their work though was just as welcomed as the Cambridges but I do believe that it was the "family coping" that drew the most attention for William and Catherine and family. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom