Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 7: September 2016-September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the meat and potatoes of what William and Kate do and its effects are far reaching. It encourages a message to get out there to the public that there are exceptional people that face challenges and don't stop once they have overcome issues but strive to instill courage in others to do likewise and let them know they're not alone.

Sometimes its those people with special needs and disability challenges that rise above it all and show the rest of us what really being a human being is all about. ?

Wonderful to see the teen heroes for 2018!

On Tuesday 30th October, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will visit @WeAreCoachCore Essex.

TRH will meet new apprentices, hear from graduates, and learn how the scheme in Essex is engaging a diverse local community with sport

Via Kensington Palace Twitter

Last edited:
THE DUKE AND DUCHESS OF CAMBRIDGE VISIT THE BBC TO HIGHLIGHT WORK TO COMBAT CYBERBULLYING

Broadcasting House, London

Thursday 15th November 2018

To mark Anti-Bullying Week, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will visit The BBC to view the work the broadcaster is doing as a key member of The Duke’s Taskforce on the Prevention of Cyberbullying.

Their Royal Highnesses will meet young people who wrote and performed in a new campaign video for ‘Stop, Speak, Support’, which is a youth-led code of conduct to provide guidance on what to do when they witness bullying online. The campaign was started by the young persons’ panel on the Taskforce and is now being run by the Anti-Bullying Alliance, which is rolling out materials to thousands of schools across the country.

The Duke and Duchess will also meet parents and children who have been helping guide the latest tech developments from the BBC to help young people online, and join BBC Director General Lord Hall as he announces the broadcaster’s latest initiative. Further details will be confirmed in due course.

His Royal Highness and The Royal Foundation convened the Taskforce in May 2016, to support young people and their families affected by cyberbullying, with a focus on 11-16 year olds.

The Duke brought together some of the world’s most recognisable names in media and tech, as well as children’s charities and parents, to work alongside a panel of young people to try and find a way forward. Together they set themselves the task of creating a safer and more supportive life online.

Chaired by tech entrepreneur Brent Hoberman CBE, the Taskforce members include: The Anti-Bullying Alliance; Apple; BT; The Diana Award; EE; Facebook; Google; Internet Matters; Music.ly; NSPCC; O2; Sky; Snapchat; Supercell; TalkTalk; Three; Twitter; Vodafone and Virgin Media.

It sounds like an excellent visit tackling some crucial issues with the media. I'm glad they are taking this on.
I hear it was a hard hitting speech, and was well received

Lots of hateful comments posted on KP Twitter evidently.

LaRae

That question has been raised....why KP doesn't delete the nasty posts.

LaRae

Very impressive and very true speech by The Duke of Cambridge today. Social media outlets need tons of tough love when it comes to cyber-bullying. I wish he could make an official trip to the U.S.A and extend his work here.

There's a crap ton of bullying that goes on ...any forum I've been on I've seen it....the moderators here don't allow it but some places (like Twitter) don't have moderators etc..and then some moderators don't care (other groups).

LaRae

There's a crap ton of bullying that goes on ...any forum I've been on I've seen it....the moderators here don't allow it but some places (like Twitter) don't have moderators etc..and then some moderators don't care (other groups).

LaRae

Us older folks are blessed that we didn’t have social media websites when we were in school. Now these outlets have to work extremely hard to make sure kids of today don’t have to deal with it. Trouble is Facebook, Twitter and Internet forums aren’t doing enough. On top of that, you got all that bullying going on in school.

Us older folks are blessed that we didn’t have social media websites when we were in school. Now these outlets have to work extremely hard to make sure kids of today don’t have to deal with it. Trouble is Facebook, Twitter and Internet forums aren’t doing enough. On top of that, you got all that bullying going on in school.

HA...I guess any of us over 50 would count?

I can't imagine dealing with it back then...just school itself was bad enough...add cell phones and social media..nightmare!

Got lucky..my kids were towards the end of school before it got crazy (I think pre-FB)...cell phones were still expensive so they only had a pre-paid type for emergencies.

I don't understand when people let their kids have access to cell phones and social media. I think it's just asking for trouble.

LaRae

LaRae

Some forums are set up to highlight the gossipy aspect of royal life.:ermm:

I know I have used aggressive language here and have been called on it. As a perhaps silly person, I thought I may have seen my posts as more jocular than they came across, and they came across as nasty and mean-spirited and not in keeping with the desired cordiality that the admins and mods strive to maintain.

Now, I hope I think more carefully about what I say. I like that the Cambridges are addressing internet behavior.

HA...I guess any of us over 50 would count?

I can't imagine dealing with it back then...just school itself was bad enough...add cell phones and social media..nightmare!

Got lucky..my kids were towards the end of school before it got crazy (I think pre-FB)...cell phones were still expensive so they only had a pre-paid type for emergencies.

I don't understand when people let their kids have access to cell phones and social media. I think it's just asking for trouble.

LaRae

Yeah, the 80’s and 90’s were my school days.

Well, the kids having cell phones are a good thing, because parents have to look after their children more today than back in the day. It’s just that these social media sites don’t seem to want to heavily police their sites when it comes to the bullying. I mean...kids are going through so much nowadays and the constant bullying are causing kids to take their lives or take someone’s life.

I’m glad that the young royals are shining a light on cyber-bullying, but there’s so much work to be done.

I’m glad the moderators on this forum make sure they lookout for any sign of bullying here.

Last edited:
As someone that was constantly bullied as a child, the Royal Foundation project on cyberbullying ranks right up there in the top 3 causes that this Foundation aims to call attention to.

Actually, the experience of being bullied can be something empowering if, and its a big if, there is positive support. To this day I can still hear my dad telling me "if they don't like you, that's *their* problem". As I grew older and ventured into the newly minted "chat" rooms, it didn't take me long to realize that those that hid behind their monitor screens and found it "cool" to insult people, drop four letter word bombs and generally were pure negativity proved my dad right. Its *their* problem.

Whether its the schoolyard at recess or Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or anywhere, what is most important is for the one being bullied to come to the realization that those that do bully people aren't worth any rent free space in their heads and they have the power to ignore, use the delete key or as someone very special says to me "walk on by, head held high". ?

One good option is to use social media as little as possible or not at all.
Ignorance can be blissfully liberating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom