The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-27-2021, 09:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
No matter where William and Catherine go, they naturally blend in and mesh well with their surroundings. It's as if each and every plot of land that they go to is special to them in some way. This is what endears them to the people they visit.

Reminds me of a line from Kipling's "If" that goes "If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue, or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch". To me, this describes this couple.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:09 AM
Serene Highness

The Court Circular has picked up The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's engagement at Manor Farm near Stockton-on-Tees and Belmont Community Centre, Gilesgate Moor on 27th April.

Quote:
27 April 2021
Kensington Palace
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this afternoon visited Manor Farm near Stockton-on-Tees and were received by Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of County Durham (Mrs. Susan Snowdon).

Their Royal Highnesses later visited the Cheesy Waffles Project, Belmont Community Centre, Sunderland Road, Gilesgate Moor, Durham.
https://www.royal.uk/court-circular?...F04%2F2021&id=

Old 04-28-2021, 09:03 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
It would be a great opportunity to involve the children in an engagement like this. I’m sure everyone would enjoy having them there and it would be a fun and not too formal way for the kids to practice greeting members of the public, paying attention, asking questions, etc.
George and Charlotte are back at school.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:41 PM
Royal Highness

William and Kate were both visiting Mental Health charities in Wolverhampton for Mental Health Awareness week.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO0VeQelQr1/

William blamed his lack of football skill on his shoes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO0rBLalDKL/

Lots of wellbeing pets involved this week. It's hard to hug a bearded dragon though.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:21 PM
Royal Highness

The Cambridges will be in Scotland on Friday and early next week:

https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/st...53746967695363

Apparently this also includes a visit to St Andrews where they met and their first official visit to Orkney.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post

Apparently this also includes a visit to St Andrews where they met and their first official visit to Orkney.
Look forward to seeing them back on the road!
Old 05-19-2021, 07:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

That’s great that they get to visit a place that has so much meaning for them.
Old 05-21-2021, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Will they then be called TRH The Earl and Countess of Strathearn?
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 05-21-2021, 05:25 PM
Serene Highness

They will indeed :-) .
Old 05-24-2021, 07:31 AM
Nobility

I keep hearing that Catherine can't speak in public - was this ever true? I found the message re nurses rather touching and her voice and manner quite nice to listen to. Generally, I do have some trouble making words out when listening to foreign languages, so I prefer reading whenever possible but here, I got every word with zero effort, really none at all.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran View Post
I keep hearing that Catherine can't speak in public - was this ever true? I found the message re nurses rather touching and her voice and manner quite nice to listen to. Generally, I do have some trouble making words out when listening to foreign languages, so I prefer reading whenever possible but here, I got every word with zero effort, really none at all.
Who says she cna't speak in public? It was said of Diana for many years that she was not good at public speaking and indeed for many years Diana hardly did speak at all. But I dont know of anyone saying this of Kate.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:07 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Who says she cna't speak in public? It was said of Diana for many years that she was not good at public speaking and indeed for many years Diana hardly did speak at all. But I dont know of anyone saying this of Kate.
I'm not sure. It was a forum I saw by chance, in the beginning of Meghan's time in the RF. Now I realize it was the almighty Kate vs Meghan thing. I wasn't this interested and didn't read further but I spotted it in a few other places later - how superior Meghan's language and general speaking skills were, how fluent she was when speaking Spanish and so on compared to Kate. It was a slight interest because I don't conflate speaking a foreign language with confidence with actually having a rich vocabulary and mastery of it. The Lord knows I can barely say my own name in English. But that was the general gist in many places, in true let's insult Kate vein. I was curious because I can't speak in public either and from these comments, it looked like Kate was even worse than me. But I didn't see anything like this in this video. As I said, I was really impressed how I made out all the words effortlessly.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:13 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I'm not sure. It was a forum I saw by chance, in the beginning of Meghan's time in the RF. Now I realize it was the almighty Kate vs Meghan thing. I wasn't this interested and didn't read further but I spotted it in a few other places later - how superior Meghan's language and general speaking skills were, how fluent she was when speaking Spanish and so on compared to Kate. It was a slight interest because I don't conflate speaking a foreign language with confidence with actually having a rich vocabulary and mastery of it. The Lord knows I can barely say my own name in English. But that was the general gist in many places, in true let's insult Kate vein.
She is supposed to be quite shy by nature and apparently doesn't love public speaking but it's clear she's learned how to do it well in the last 10 years. I think some of her early speeches were quite stilted as she practiced on the job, but now I think she comes across well.

There was definitely some Kate vs Meghan and I participated in that when I hoped Meghan was going to be a real asset - because she was used to learning lines and coming across naturally and clearly wasn't shy and used to small talking and networking etc. Oops.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:15 AM
Majesty

I think K certainly DID have people saying she wasn't good at public speaking.. that she sounded "too posh and cut glass", that she wasn't fluent, that she flipped her hair and looked at her notes too much etc.
but I dont think anyone said she really couldn't do it. Whereas Diana really hardly siad anything for a few years.. she had to make a big effort to learn to speak well in public....
Old 05-24-2021, 08:22 AM
Nobility

A big thanks to both of you.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:08 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Yes, but Catherine is now 10 years into being a part of the BRF and Duchess of Cambridge. With my whole heart full of sympathy and understanding, she was not great at the beginning - she had to learn a lot. Here's her first speech and you could see she was struggling a bit:

But she learned. She has put the time and effort into public speaking and it shows. She will never be the most natural or charismatic public speaker, but she sounds good and clear and sincere and gets the message across.
Old 05-24-2021, 10:10 AM
Administrator

The Duchess of Cambridge joined the Duke of Cambridge for day 4 of the Scotland tour:

** gettyimages gallery ** rex gallery 1 ** rex gallery 2 **dailymail article **

Old 05-24-2021, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Here's a video of the Duke and Duchess from the visit to North Lanarkshire

Cooking at the café kitchen at the Palace of Holyroodhouse

And my favourite so far today Producing Music and reaction

Old 05-24-2021, 12:22 PM
Nobility

Thank you, Fem! Yes, in this video she's struggling and it shows. I expected something much worse. Seems I've been reading the wrong posts. She just seemed shy and had a soft voice, IMO. She wanted to do it right, so she consulted her notes constantly. Yes, she wasn't this confident but it endeared her to me since I'm the same. Then again, I would have probably turned and fled right before the speech.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:43 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks for the video of Turning Point, I know addiction services have been struggling to provide enough help in the pandemic.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duke of cambridge