The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-15-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think that with the pandemic, people saw the Cambridges as "a family like their own" going through the lock downs and the schools closing and even seeing a member of that family affected by Covid-19, himself (William). The kids were very much involved with the sign making and the clapping and that showed that the family was just as affected and "making do" like the majority of the people in the UK. People identified with what the Cambridges were doing and even saw them working from home.

The majority of the senior BRF are classified as "older" and to isolate as they did was expected. Charles was the first member of the family to be infected but isolating away was different. No kids to manage. Their work though was just as welcomed as the Cambridges but I do believe that it was the "family coping" that drew the most attention for William and Catherine and family.
That is indeed what I have been feeling about this couple too. In the first years of their marriage, I was annoyed at how little they worked, the expenses for their accommodation... Having seen another married in and how that turned out, I began to appreciate that maybe this joining the BRF, learning to navigate a public role, etiquette, etc was actually much more than I imagined and maybe they did the right thing by starting slowly and treating this as a marathon rather than a sprint.

Yet, it is during the pandemic that they shone and it is an emotional response on my part. I am separated from my parents and the rest of extended family, and we are stuck in our house as a nuclear family, like most of the humanity. I appreciate the binds that support us, love of our family and our relatives, love of our friends. Seeing this nuclear family, supporting each other, loving each other, trying to do the best in their own way, during a pandemic (as we tried as a family ourselves) is uplifting. Seeing love is uplifting.

I got very emotional watching that video. Those kids, with their gifts, sigh...

Old 12-15-2020, 11:59 AM
Courtier

A wonderful post! And I completely agree, William and Catherine knew that they're in it for life, so there was no need to hurry - to give themselves time to be a married couple, to be parents, to have friends and life outside of the royal work. Which, it seems like, worked much better than hitting the ground running...

And Catherine is becoming more and more confident, having a say in the matter, her projects are great... She's an amazing queen-in-waiting and future Princess of Wales. We're lucky to have her.

Old 12-15-2020, 12:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by psm View Post
That is indeed what I have been feeling about this couple too. In the first years of their marriage, I was annoyed at how little they worked, the expenses for their accommodation... Having seen another married in and how that turned out, I began to appreciate that maybe this joining the BRF, learning to navigate a public role, etiquette, etc was actually much more than I imagined and maybe they did the right thing by starting slowly and treating this as a marathon rather than a sprint.

Yet, it is during the pandemic that they shone and it is an emotional response on my part. I am separated from my parents and the rest of extended family, and we are stuck in our house as a nuclear family, like most of the humanity. I appreciate the binds that support us, love of our family and our relatives, love of our friends. Seeing this nuclear family, supporting each other, loving each other, trying to do the best in their own way, during a pandemic (as we tried as a family ourselves) is uplifting. Seeing love is uplifting.

I got very emotional watching that video. Those kids, with their gifts, sigh...
They're doing thier job.. reasonably well. And they were never meant to be full time royals in the first years. William had a job in Search and Rescue as a pilot.. and Kate was able to start her family and work her way into engagements over a period of time. At the time Phillip was still a full time royal and when he retired there were funds available and Will gave up his job to become a full time royal worker. K's been lucky to be able to spend a couple of years mainly with her children and then to move into full time work...
Old 12-15-2020, 01:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I had tears in my eyes watching this...it’s truly beautiful and magical; kudos to William and Kate
https://twitter.com/royalreporter/st...312469506?s=21
Yes, Betsypaige. Definitely "kudos to William and Kate", their video certainly captured the magic of Christmas, an excellent production. The joy and happiness in watching the children open their special Christmas gifts made my day!!
https://mobile.twitter.com/Kensingto...40576590516224
Old 12-15-2020, 03:55 PM
Heir Apparent

I am so pleased that the families of frontline workers were treated to this very special Christmas �� event. Hats off to everyone involved in organizing this delightful evening.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Daly View Post
Yes, Betsypaige. Definitely "kudos to William and Kate", their video certainly captured the magic of Christmas, an excellent production. The joy and happiness in watching the children open their special Christmas gifts made my day!!
https://mobile.twitter.com/Kensingto...40576590516224
They have such warm, comforting voices...

Those kids!😍😍😍😍
Old 12-15-2020, 10:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for posting that wonderful uplifting video
Old 12-17-2020, 02:16 PM
Serene Highness

From the support for the monarchy thread about the recent train tour.

Very interesting comments from the (Scottish) First Minister.

When asked if the Cambridges were not welcome - “of course they're welcome"

On the perception that the her comments were (just) factual & bald
(ie unwelcoming/unenthusiastic) – "well look yes I'm sorry about that".

"I’m sure people were happy to see them here. The work that they do...…it"s hugely welcome”.

So those naysayers about the visit to Scotland have their response – from the horse’s mouth so to speak.
Old 12-17-2020, 02:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
A wonderful post! And I completely agree, William and Catherine knew that they're in it for life, so there was no need to hurry - to give themselves time to be a married couple, to be parents, to have friends and life outside of the royal work. Which, it seems like, worked much better than hitting the ground running...

And Catherine is becoming more and more confident, having a say in the matter, her projects are great... She's an amazing queen-in-waiting and future Princess of Wales. We're lucky to have her.
IMO William wanted her eased into the role, for her own sake, he saw how his mother was hounded. I also think that is why they took their time to be married, he wanted her to be sure she could cope.
They faced a lot of criticism, Kate for being prepared to wait, him for taking so long.
Then the early years of the marriage. Good choices in my opinion and we are now seeing the fruit of those choices.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
From the support for the monarchy thread about the recent train tour.

Very interesting comments from the (Scottish) First Minister.

When asked if the Cambridges were not welcome - “of course they're welcome"

On the perception that the her comments were (just) factual & bald
(ie unwelcoming/unenthusiastic) – "well look yes I'm sorry about that".

"I’m sure people were happy to see them here. The work that they do...…it"s hugely welcome”.

So those naysayers about the visit to Scotland have their response – from the horse’s mouth so to speak.
I don’t know if this is spin based on negative reaction to her comments, but I’m glad she said this nonetheless...
Old 12-26-2020, 11:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
IMO William wanted her eased into the role, for her own sake, he saw how his mother was hounded. I also think that is why they took their time to be married, he wanted her to be sure she could cope.
They faced a lot of criticism, Kate for being prepared to wait, him for taking so long.
Then the early years of the marriage. Good choices in my opinion and we are now seeing the fruit of those choices.
It was probably a wise decision. I dont think that Kate was really into royal work at the first, but now that her family are a bit older, she seems to be developing more of an interest.....
I still think they could have done more in the early years, but it was on reflection probalby a wise idea to give her time to get used to royal life, and it did give her and WIlliam a few years when they could lead a relatively normal life...
Old 12-26-2020, 11:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I believe that is very true as William likely had heard from his parents and perhaps even his grandparents that things might have gone a little better for Diana and Sarah if they'd been eased into their roles. Also slowing the pace allowed for the Cambridges establish their family and become more comfortable in their role as parents. When the DoE was ready to retire, it was a natural progression for the Cambridges to take on more charities, patronages, military appointments and other royal duties ie: foreign tours. All in all I believe that while their plan initially garnered criticism, in the long run it was good planning for the future.
Old 12-26-2020, 01:10 PM
Heir Apparent

And they are in it for the long run, so yes, wise decision by William and his grandmother.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

https://twitter.com/isaguor/status/1353776990369812483

W&C have set a message of support on the occassion of Burns night to the staff at NHS Tayside
Old 01-25-2021, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Wonderful and the Duchess in tartan.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
https://twitter.com/isaguor/status/1353776990369812483

W&C have set a message of support on the occassion of Burns night to the staff at NHS Tayside
They seemed rather nervous with all that handwringing.

But learned something new: never heard of 'Burns night' before.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:37 AM
Serene Highness

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKi1U1dF65W/

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge mark Holocaust Memorial Day 2021.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Here's an article and the video:

** dm article: Kate Middleton left visibly moved as she hears about the horrors of the Holocaust during..**

Old 01-27-2021, 02:13 PM
Courtier

A sad day in History. Let us never forget, because if we do we may be damned to repeat it again. This at that time was the shame of a Nation. Remember History the good and the bad and learn from it. God bless them all.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:41 PM
Heir Apparent

I am so pleased that Manfred and Zigi have remained friends for decades. It was wonderful to listen to their accounts even though the details can be so difficult to hear. Glad that Catherine has remained in contact with them over the years.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duke of cambridge