The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-08-2020, 08:20 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post

And that was a very heartfelt letter to Manchester.
Yes, very much appreciated. Also noted that they visited the food bank centre named after the mother of Marcus Rashford, the young footballer recently awarded the MBE for his work in ensuring that meal vouchers were provided to underprivileged children even during school holidays. Without boring people outside the UK with the details, it was a much talked about campaign.

I find it very hard to believe that they'd have undertaken this tour without discussions with Downing Street.

The SNP MP mentioned in earlier posts travelled from London to Scotland by public transport after she'd tested positive for the virus. She also spoke both in the House of Commons and in a church service whilst she had symptoms.

Vaughan Gething can be very rude. He was forced to apologise earlier this year, after he left his microphone on and was heard swearing about another member of the Welsh Assembly.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:16 AM
Courtier

On a much happier note, I am full on smitten with the Duke and Duchess after watching those videos of their chatty visit to all the flag waving littles with reindeer antler headbands and Santa hats. With Christmas music playing in the background. Oh, and actual reindeer. Merry Christmas, keep the Royal Train rolling!

Footnote: Apparently my post is out of sequence, as I am referring back to their visit to Berwick-Upon-Tweed.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Now Downing Street? This is so weird.

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/sta...90294355140610

Also, in an extraordinary development, Downing St is refusing to back William and Kate's tour of the country, which has raised eyebrows. Repeatedly asked if it was Covid compliant or backed by PM, the spokesman would only say it was "a matter for the Palace."

A second response from Number 10 in which he states that he's pleased with the warm reception that the Cambridges have received on their hugely, valuable train tour. He notes that it is a morale booster for those healthcare workers on the frontline.

https://twitter.com/DanielHewittITV/...05852609867776
Old 12-08-2020, 09:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well- thatís just weird. First- Downing Street gives a chilly response. THEN- they say how pleased they are with this tour. What is up with that?!

I donít see this tour happening without the governmentís request/approval in advance.

Aside from Downing Stís response, itís sounding like an opportunity for anti- royals to whine.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:43 AM
Heir Apparent

I think it is clear some phone calls were made. That said this tour of course was in conversation with the government. No way it was not but that doesn't change the oddly chilly welcomes (before the quick turn arounds) that were given. Just so odd.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Well- that’s just weird. First- Downing Street gives a chilly response. THEN- they say how pleased they are with this tour. What is up with that?!

I don’t see this tour happening without the government’s request/approval in advance.

Aside from Downing St’s response, it’s sounding like an opportunity for anti- royals to whine.
There has been a fair amount of turmoil within the Communications team at Downing ST in recent weeks, but what we saw today was plain incompetency. Inexcusable, IMO!
Old 12-08-2020, 10:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
There has been a fair amount of turmoil within the Communications team at Downing ST in recent weeks, but what we saw today was plain incompetency. Inexcusable, IMO!

Agreed. The initial response from Downing was inexcusable.

Iím not up on whatís been going on with the Communications team at Downing lately, but this shouldnít have happened. Their initial response made it sound like Kate and William woke up and decided to take this tour blindsiding everyone. Or just ignored government advice and did it anyway. Please. No way did this happen without the government.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:49 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

I’m not up on what’s been going on with the Communications team at Downing lately, but this shouldn’t have happened. Their initial response made it sound like Kate and William woke up and decided to take this tour blindsiding everyone. Or just ignored government advice and did it anyway. Please. No way did this happen without the government.
They've had to walk back or "explain" various things that I won't get in to to stop this thread getting more political. And there's been a lot of staff change since the fall of Cummings. As well as ministers completely contradicting each other in the press and media.

I wonder if that's what happened here, the right hand doesn't know what the left is up to? Or they felt they had to echo Scotland and Wales in "follow the rules!" without acknowledging their part in setting it up, so that it's not "damn Westminster" again.

I can believe W&K wanted to do something special but I have a problem believing that they were so gung ho about a complicated tour just a couple of weeks before Christmas, right out of lockdown and leaving their kids for a few days knowing there would be complaints about safety and rules, that they organised this and bullied almost all governments of the home nations into it without someone putting their foot down if zero governments really wanted it and it didn't come from A section of government.

They could have done the same thing from the comfort of their home as they've been doing for months and planned something special/in person for the new year if they wanted a big thank you/PR push for themselves. Or a visit to just Manchester say.

It's all a little bit strange but again the visits do seem to be genuinely appreciated by those that have had them.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Iím not up on whatís been going on with the Communications team at Downing lately, but this shouldnít have happened. Their initial response made it sound like Kate and William woke up and decided to take this tour blindsiding everyone. Or just ignored government advice and did it anyway. Please. No way did this happen without the government.
I donít think many people understand to what extent the government controls the Royal Familyís official activities. Senior royals can barely decide what to have for breakfast without input from the government and itís inconceivable that Kensington Palace would be able to send the future King and Queen on a tour that included stops in England, Scotland and Wales without direct input AND SUPPORT from Downing Street and the appropriate ministers in Scotland and Wales.

The UK is having an interesting political moment and it sounds like the politicians have forgotten themselves and brought the BRF and specifically William and Kateís tour into the endless squabbling and street fighting that are supposed to remain behind closed doors. Making statements then having to backtrack, having to release two statements over a straightforward matter - it makes the government look incompetent at a time I assume it doesnít want to signal any sort of weakness.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
A second response from Number 10 in which he states that he's pleased with the warm reception that the Cambridges have received on their hugely, valuable train tour. He notes that it is a morale booster for those healthcare workers on the frontline.

https://twitter.com/DanielHewittITV/...05852609867776
That doesnít do zip...pleased or not, the PM publicly not supporting William and Kate is a bad look. It shows that thereís no communication between he and the BRF, and it shows that there seems to be a break between them. It also obviously means that the government didnít initiate this tour idea, but...I canít imagine the BRF deciding on their own to do this?
Old 12-08-2020, 12:02 PM
Serene Highness

I can't believe for a minute that William and Kate would have gone off on a tour without it being discussed with, or possibly initiated by, Downing Street, especially given that the Royal Train is notoriously expensive to run.

I do feel sorry for them. You try and do something nice, and get a load of grief! The people they've actually visited have genuinely seemed very pleased to see them.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I can't believe for a minute that William and Kate would have gone off on a tour without it being discussed with, or possibly initiated by, Downing Street, especially given that the Royal Train is notoriously expensive to run.

I do feel sorry for them. You try and do something nice, and get a load of grief! The people they've actually visited have genuinely seemed very pleased to see them.
I think the last point is the most important - theyíve seen the faces of the people, unlike anyone in government. That, I hope, is what William and Kate take from this, not petty comments from petty people.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:31 PM
Heir Apparent

I whole heartedly agree. I am disappointed by the lack lustre response from the various devolved nations. Throughout the pandemic, the Duke and Duchess have demonstrated their support for key workers and charities through Zoom calls and visits. This tour is a natural progression and I can imagine considerable risk assessments were taken.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:51 PM
Royal Highness

No 10's comms team is incompetent & some politicians in the devolved administrations downright churlish.

Edit: should have said downright bloody churlish.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
That doesnít do zip...pleased or not, the PM publicly not supporting William and Kate is a bad look. It shows that thereís no communication between he and the BRF, and it shows that there seems to be a break between them. It also obviously means that the government didnít initiate this tour idea, but...I canít imagine the BRF deciding on their own to do this?

The only people this reflects poorly on imo is the government. Thereís no way the BRF just up and did this imo.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
In my eyes, the whole tour was spreading the spirit of Christmas with peace and good will to all they met. That's what really matters. Guidelines were followed due to the pandemic and there were a lot of smiles behind masks, I'd imagine.

The government and the media who only look for things to disapprove of is to be expected but ask anyone that actually saw/met with William and Catherine and I'll bet my last cream cheese danish that they thought it was wonderfully done.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The only people this reflects poorly on imo is the government. Thereís no way the BRF just up and did this imo.
I agree, thatís what I said...
Old 12-08-2020, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Several posts have been moved over to the https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...8-a-45302.html thread.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:23 PM
Heir Apparent

As I saw somewhere online and think is worth pointing out - Scottish MPs still move between their homes and Westminster, Welsh MPs do the same and members of the devolved assemblies do the same to be able to attend work, the irony of Downing Street even suggesting it wouldn't be happy with W&Ks actions after some of the actions of others they have gone out of their way to defend is mind blowing.

Anyway politics aside, what a lovely trip, every one they met seems to have been uplifted by it and it does all seem to have been done as safely as possible. Love that they ended by visiting the Queen and lovely seeing the RF together, the picture of them all hits home how this is now the Queen's team and how much has changed over the last year.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I agree, thatís what I said...

Okay. Weíre on the same page then.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duke of cambridge