The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-07-2020, 01:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The royals should be honored to meet the frontline workers who are true heroes and heroines and be in awe of their bravery--I know I would.
Yes I definitely agree with this statement and understand that this is exactly why the tour was organized in cooperation with the British Government and the NHS. This gives official representatives the incredible opportunity to "meet frontline workers who are the true heroes and heroines and be in awe of their bravery."

Quote:
When I compare the blatant defiance of covid protocols during Trump's political rallys in my own country, to what appears as a well oiled machine of covid protocol by the organizers and participants of William and Catherine's Thank you Tour, there are no comparisons.
Good point and from viewing the photos and the videos from the tour today, it's clear that this trip is certainly nothing like a large scale political rally. The organizers are clearly following the protocols to ensure safety for all involved.

The Cambridges and participants following the indoor protocols with distancing and masks.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EopacfaX...jpg&name=large

Old 12-07-2020, 01:42 PM
Serene Highness

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason for this tour was to remind people that this is a United Kingdom. Nicola Sturgeon has been busily telling people that Scotland would recover from the pandemic far more quickly if it was independent. Whatever anyone's personal views on Scottish independence - and I fully respect those who support it, which is their choice - surely it isn't appropriate for anyone to use a pandemic to push their own political party's agenda.

It's unfortunate that this argument has taken place in public, though.

Old 12-07-2020, 02:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The basic issue is how treacherous COVID is no matter what planning is done, it can still strike. And royals still are fighting an "unseen" enemy. Royals like George and Elizabeth would not have been able to walk in the streets among the people under these conditions.
Actually historic photos shows that royals like King George V and Queen Mary were out performing engagements under pandemic conditions. Here is a photo of TM accompanied by their daughter The Princess Royal and son Prince George (later the Duke of Kent) taken in 1918 when the Spanish Flu was raging throughout the globe. The Royal Family were visiting wounded soldiers at the Royal Naval Hospital.

https://www.shutterstock.com/editori...-1918-9820855a

Here is film footage of TM visiting Brighton hospital in Sept. 1918.
https://www.britishpathe.com/video/V...GHTON-HOSPITAL

George V did contract the Spanish Flu in May 1918 and survived.

Ironic that his great-grandson and great-great grandson have now both contracted a pandemic virus, survived and continued on with their respective in person royal duties.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Lovely, heartfelt words from William...

https://twitter.com/victoriaarbiter/...497089547?s=21
Old 12-07-2020, 05:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
I was thinking exactly the same about this tour, that it was actually requested by the government. The Cambridges were pretty happy to conduct all of their work through Zooms and calls and so on for so long, the tour's weird timing... Maybe the government thought they want to give people a little "pick-me-up" before Christmas.

And no, if it was requested by the government, barring some serious problems (a health issue?) they can't really say no.
For all the seemingly tone-deaf issues of the Cambridge's holiday to the Scillies, you are right, there is no way whatsoever the BRF decided to send them off on a 'Happy Jaunt' when it is obvious that they, like most other parents, would rather be safe at home with their children. The sheer magnitude of the organisation required to set up such a tour in a time of National Pandemic can only be enabled by the Government. Just the logistics of using the Royal Train is an out of left field situation for the Railways involved and that doesn't happen on the whim of the BRF but rather the order of the government.

I am disgusted that the Prime Minister has not taken ownership and that Nicola Sturgeon is attempting to turn the tour into a political argument.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Rebecca English
@RE_DailyMail
·
3h
Royal sources tonight stressed that William and Kate were travelling for work - to thank front line workers who have done so much for the country. The visits were planned in consultation with the UK, Scottish and Welsh governments, they say.

Rebecca English
@RE_DailyMail
·
5h
FWIW, the Scottish First Minister didn’t try to ban them and confirms TRHs weren’t breaking any rules. But her lack of enthusiasm is awkward.

As predicted, they spoke with all three country governments before undertaking the tour - so seems like the Scottish gov didn't ask them not to come but then the First Minister took issue with it when asked. A bit like the "i'm not shouting at you but I'm not condoning what you're doing" parents do.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
For all the seemingly tone-deaf issues of the Cambridge's holiday to the Scillies, you are right, there is no way whatsoever the BRF decided to send them off on a 'Happy Jaunt' when it is obvious that they, like most other parents, would rather be safe at home with their children. The sheer magnitude of the organisation required to set up such a tour in a time of National Pandemic can only be enabled by the Government. Just the logistics of using the Royal Train is an out of left field situation for the Railways involved and that doesn't happen on the whim of the BRF but rather the order of the government.

I am disgusted that the Prime Minister has not taken ownership and that Nicola Sturgeon is attempting to turn the tour into a political argument.
I will not defend their private holidays, but this is something completely different. It's work. And I completely agree with you, the amount of work that had to happen to make this tour work in a safe way for everyone is a bit outside of possibilities of the BRF - which are not small by any means - so while nothing is officially said (yet), I think this tour was requested by the government.

Nicola Sturgeon is backing away from her words slightly, probably amidst of simply lying to everyone It's a shame to see the Cambridges and this tour getting dragged into a political conflict between her and UK's government, especially since quite a lot of royal watchers do not understand the intricacy of this relationship. Shame that people quite happily jumped to the opportunity to drag them through mud.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:52 PM
Serene Highness

Angela Levin has retweeted Robert Jobson (who has attached the Daily Mail article on Nicola Sturgeon and the SNPs' reaction). Robert Jobson himself is a royal contributor in the Evening Standards
Angela Levin @angelalevin1
If the Royals ignored Scotland what's the betting that Nicola Sturgeon would have criticised them just as ruthlessly.
3:38 AM · Dec 8, 2020·Twitter Web App
https://twitter.com/angelalevin1/sta...86960209498113
Old 12-07-2020, 07:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Angela Levin has retweeted Robert Jobson (who has attached the Daily Mail article on Nicola Sturgeon and the SNPs' reaction). Robert Jobson himself is a royal contributor in the Evening Standards
Angela Levin @angelalevin1
If the Royals ignored Scotland what's the betting that Nicola Sturgeon would have criticised them just as ruthlessly.
3:38 AM · Dec 8, 2020·Twitter Web App
https://twitter.com/angelalevin1/sta...86960209498113
Quite likely. Whilst also saying they didn't want them anyway as well as that this proves no one from Westminster cares about Scotland.

To use the description of a different politician (but not his actual politics or recent problems) she's "a noun, a verb and independence". Although obviously Scottish people (who currently live in Scotland) can vote how they wish next time.

It's very unfortunate that she misspoke about things earlier and that everything was planned *with* the Scottish government even if she herself wasn't a personal fan of the idea. Because obviously Kensington Palace alone (or at all?) can't force all this to take place without agreements from everyone else and with all the proper logistics, precautions and a mountain of risk assessments in place.

That said taking out the politics many of the people they actually met seem to have enjoyed it despite the weather.

And that was a very heartfelt letter to Manchester.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:11 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katymcwaity View Post
I don’t care who asked them to go. I think this is the wrong time to do it. I really don’t think its essential work either. A royal visit is the icing on the cake but not the cake. I’m not surprised Nicola Sturgeon is upset, shes seem to have had tight control during the virus and probably doesn’t want to have a Barnard Castle type responsein terms of people saying sod it, I’ll do what I like. There are thousands of people who haven’t seen relatives for months, who are obeying all the rules and apparently a nice train ride with no doubt a large number of assistants and aides to give people a pat on the back(not that I have anything against pats on the back!) is deemed essential is just a kick in the teeth.
There has been more than one ' Barnard Castle' type event for Nicola Sturgeon to deal with, it has all turned political which is sad. I think you really need to live here to fully understand what has been going on. Not for this thread so I will leave it at that
Old 12-08-2020, 04:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

"The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have arrived at Cardiff Castle to highlight how the local tourism industry has coped in the pandemic and meet students to discuss how their mental health was supported during lockdown"

https://twitter.com/i/status/1336242336234418176

"Kate got the giggles after she got marshmallow on her gloves....."

https://twitter.com/i/status/1336245673109450752
Old 12-08-2020, 04:45 AM
Administrator

Here are two galleries and an article of today, December 8:

** gettyimages gallery ** rex gallery **

** dm article: Now WALES joins Nicola Sturgeon in swiping at Royals: Prince William and Kate Middleton arrive..**

Old 12-08-2020, 05:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Surprised over the chilly welcomes by officials.

Looking forward to the pictures of the senior royals later today in Windsor.
Old 12-08-2020, 05:48 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
Thank you iceflower for the links to the pictures and Daily Mail article.

Chris Ship has picked up Vaughan Gething's (Minister for Health and Social Services of Welsh Government/Assembly, Labour MSs of Cardiff South and Penarth) interview on BBC Radio 4.
Chris Ship @chrisshipitv
First @NicolaSturgeon in [Flag of Scotland] now @vaughangething in [Flag of Wales]
Welsh Health Minster gives William and Kate’s #RoyalTrainTour a frosty reception as they arrive in Cardiff: He’s not "particularly bothered or interested" & better if "no-one was having unnecessary visits"
[Camera]
@ChrisJack_Getty
9:05 PM · Dec 8, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/sta...50552703979523

At this point, I'm not really surprised by these two Labour and SNPs politicians, who are just making their republicanism and pro-lockdown restriction approach more obvious.

In the DM article, from reading Vaughan Gething's response to an interview, I could tell that he's not a monarchist.
Quote:
'I'd rather that no-one was having unnecessary visits.'
'People have views about the monarchy. But their visit isn't an excuse for people to say they are confused about what they are being asked to do.'
'I'm not particularly that bothered or interested.'
'Because I don't think that is going to be an excuse for people to say, ''I should go and behave in a different way''.'
Apart from the Conservative Party, the DUP (who has the most number of seats in Northern Ireland Assembly) are probably staunch supporters of the monarchy. William and Catherine, however, did not visit Northern Ireland for this tour.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:15 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Apart from the Conservative Party, the DUP (who has the most number of seats in Northern Ireland Assembly) are probably staunch supporters of the monarchy. William and Catherine, however, did not visit Northern Ireland for this tour.
I would imagine we will see a trip to NI in the coming days or week - little hard to do a train tour there considering crossing the Irish sea on the royal train would be challenging I am sure they won't forget NI as one day they will be King and Queen of the entire UK

What I have loved most about this trip was the story of Kate and Len and finally getting to meet in person and the cute gifts they exchanged. It was a thoughtful touch to include a stop to meet Len and his wife. Kate is truly shining as an asset to the Royal family and she has really stepped too up during this Covid crisis

Old 12-08-2020, 06:23 AM
Nobility

Let see and hear what the people they met/visited say.

A teacher of Berwick-Upon-Tweed visit and Len Gardner of Batley visit:

Another from Chris Ship, two volunteers of FareShare Machester visit:
https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/sta...39784449241088
Old 12-08-2020, 07:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Ugh, these government officials are so out of touch....maybe for them the visit is unnecessary, but for ordinary people, it might very well be. They should both have sucked it up....
Old 12-08-2020, 07:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
There has been more than one ' Barnard Castle' type event for Nicola Sturgeon to deal with, it has all turned political which is sad. I think you really need to live here to fully understand what has been going on. Not for this thread so I will leave it at that
If I remember rightly, Sturgeon's second minister had to resign, didn't she?
Old 12-08-2020, 07:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
If I remember rightly, Sturgeon's second minister had to resign, didn't she?
There was also the SNP MP who travelled to London and back when she was demonstrating symptoms of COVID.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Now Downing Street? This is so weird.

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/sta...90294355140610

Also, in an extraordinary development, Downing St is refusing to back William and Kate's tour of the country, which has raised eyebrows. Repeatedly asked if it was Covid compliant or backed by PM, the spokesman would only say it was "a matter for the Palace."

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duke of cambridge