The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-07-2020, 08:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
There is no uproar, IMO, just a little bit of noise from some naysayers on social media, but that is about it.
Well, I really meant here since I haven’t seen social media reaction, though I admit that “uproar” was a poor word choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I think it's difficult to get perspective on how close people are standing sometimes, which is what TV shows are using a lot of at the moment. I assume they're being careful if only because the last thing they want is for Kate to get the virus or the events to be called a super spreader. And all the people they're meeting won't want to get it either.

The reindeer are definitely adorable and they look like they're part of a Christmas event for the kids at the school.
I think you’re right - it must be the camera angles that make William and Kate look as if they’re so close to those people. I can’t imagine they’d want to take any chances given that he had COVID, as well as for the reasons you stated.

I’m not over the furry reindeer - they’re so precious!

Old 12-07-2020, 09:57 AM
Royal Highness

In this video of the same event you can see from their feet that they're being careful to stand back from the children, who are carefully spaced in their year group bubbles.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIf6eD1lMpi/

Old 12-07-2020, 10:54 AM
Heir Apparent

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...rain-tour.html

So this tour was originally not asked to happen and then it went on anyways?
Old 12-07-2020, 11:11 AM
Nobility

I don’t care who asked them to go. I think this is the wrong time to do it. I really don’t think its essential work either. A royal visit is the icing on the cake but not the cake. I’m not surprised Nicola Sturgeon is upset, shes seem to have had tight control during the virus and probably doesn’t want to have a Barnard Castle type responsein terms of people saying sod it, I’ll do what I like. There are thousands of people who haven’t seen relatives for months, who are obeying all the rules and apparently a nice train ride with no doubt a large number of assistants and aides to give people a pat on the back(not that I have anything against pats on the back!) is deemed essential is just a kick in the teeth.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
In this video of the same event you can see from their feet that they're being careful to stand back from the children, who are carefully spaced in their year group bubbles.

A lovely little video of the primary school children meeting them at the station.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:24 AM
Royal Highness

Sturgeon would be upset if they personally delivered a 100% effective vaccine with no side effects and a billion pounds.

I expect there will be a row now but I highly doubt it was just Kensington Palace ignoring Holyrood, the arrangements probably came from elsewhere.

And this isn't them visiting friend and relatives or shopping, this is a work trip with them away from their kids, in frankly miserable weather getting moaned at, which they probably realised.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...rain-tour.html

So this tour was originally not asked to happen and then it went on anyways?
Eh... Not really.

Nicola Sturgeon, the First Minister of Scotland, claims that TRF were warned about Scotland's restrictions (basically people can't leave or enter Scotland without a good enough reason) but crossed the border either way.

But:
a/ Scotland is just a part of the tour and if it really was a problem, they wouldn't go there;
b/ Apparently a royal tour is a good enough reason to enter Scotland;
c/ Scotland is not happy with England at the moment, so the First Minister might just use the tour as an excuse to rile people a bit (especially if the tour was requested by the government, as we've speculated before...).

ETA:
Quote:
Sturgeon would be upset if they personally delivered a 100% effective vaccine with no side effects and a billion pounds.
That.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:29 AM
Royal Highness

Some salty politician looking to make headlines.

Bye Felicia.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Some salty politician looking to make headlines.

Bye Felicia.
Isn't she essentially the PM of Scotland? so not some salty politician..

And that last line is utterly disrespectful!
Old 12-07-2020, 11:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post

Not quite, much as she would liek to be. Nicola heads the devolved administration, but she is in no way the Prime Minister of Scotland. Scotland is not an independent country with a PM. She is more akin to a Governor of a US state, but with some additional administrative powers.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Yup...😀

That’s so, so adorable!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
Eh... Not really.

Nicola Sturgeon, the First Minister of Scotland, claims that TRF were warned about Scotland's restrictions (basically people can't leave or enter Scotland without a good enough reason) but crossed the border either way.

But:
a/ Scotland is just a part of the tour and if it really was a problem, they wouldn't go there;
b/ Apparently a royal tour is a good enough reason to enter Scotland;
c/ Scotland is not happy with England at the moment, so the First Minister might just use the tour as an excuse to rile people a bit (especially if the tour was requested by the government, as we've speculated before...).

ETA:

That.
She sounded so bitter...like she has other issues with the BRF and this was an excuse to complain about them. Mental health is as important as physical health, but Sturgeon doesn’t seem to care about what her exhausted care workers might need.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
For the BIB, Conservative politicians are generally staunch monarchist or even royalist and usually defends the Royal Family (or sit on their side). I could not even think of any republican/anti-monarchist MPs in the Conservative Party. On their social media accounts, they even wish happy birthday to prominent senior working royals (as well as George, Charlotte & Louis) and wedding anniversary to The Queen & Prince Philip.
Actually it's how he addressed his tweet to "Twitter Troll Anti-royal" that amuse me. It's something that I associate with royal watching (where ppl do it as sort of hobby/entertainment), instead of royalist-republican where I imagine politician joining into the fray.
Well, I guess the line is blurred now.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Duke and Duchess meeting school children at at Berwick-upon-Tweed.

A traditional Scottish Welcome at Edinburgh Waverley

Old 12-07-2020, 12:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Not quite, much as she would liek to be. Nicola heads the devolved administration, but she is in no way the Prime Minister of Scotland. Scotland is not an independent country with a PM. She is more akin to a Governor of a US state, but with some additional administrative powers.
I'm sorry no offence, but when I see her name, the first thing that come into my mind is "the great debate of whether Jaffa Cakes is biscuit or cake"
Old 12-07-2020, 12:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post

It's really complicated and only about 2% to do with William and Kate and their stop in Edinburgh.

Yes she's the First Minister of Scotland but that's not the PM of Scotland. Westminster has to power to overrule her. More like the Governor of a US State who doesn't like the Federal Government.

She has been complaining non stop about England, the English and Westminster for a decade (except the money but even that isn't enough) and it's clear an Independent Scotland would probably soon push to become a republic.

She has particularly been complaining about England for political reasons during the pandemic (and Brexit and everything else at the moment) even though it's questionable how well she's handling it (my family up there isn't impressed). However, she's doing well in the polls and is pushing for another Indyref next year. So everything is being used to rile people up and stoke anti union sentiment. And as I said she would literally complain about William and Kate bringing the vaccine with them.

I don't know. I doubt William and Kate decided on their own to disregard Holyrood and I don't think they put anyone in danger with their brief stop in Edinburgh either. It seems everything was complied with and crossing the boarder was deemed acceptable for this work.

Could/should they have skipped it? Maybe, but it depends who was arranging the tour in the first place and why. The people that actually met with them seemed to enjoy it at least.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:18 PM
Royal Highness

Bitter Politicians come and go. Presumably William and Kate are going to be relying on the goodwill of the people and have people enjoying their visits long after this woman is Largely forgotten And out of office:)
Old 12-07-2020, 12:19 PM
Courtier

When I compare the blatant defiance of covid protocols during Trump's political rallys in my own country, to what appears as a well oiled machine of covid protocol by the organizers and participants of William and Catherine's Thank You Tour, there are no comparisons. No comparison whatsoever! The benefits outweigh the risks! William and Catherine's mission is one of good will. As I watch video and view photos of their first 24 hours I'm feeling uplifted. The world is in a covid crisis. If they can bring just a bit of joy in a safe way to the people of Great Britain and beyond I think it is a worthwhile venture for 3 days. And, after recently watching a documentary on the Royal Train how wonderful to see it back in action again.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:20 PM
Courtier

The basic issue is how treacherous COVID is no matter what planning is done, it can still strike. And royals still are fighting an "unseen" enemy. Royals like George and Elizabeth would not have been able to walk in the streets among the people under these conditions. The royals should be honored to meet the frontline workers who are true heroes and heroines and be in awe of their bravery--I know I would.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Daly View Post
When I compare the blatant defiance of covid protocols during Trump's political rallys in my own country, to what appears as a well oiled machine of covid protocol by the organizers and participants of William and Catherine's Thank you Tour, there are no comparisons. No comparison whatsoever! The benefits outweigh the risks! William and Catherine's mission is one of good will. As I watch video and view photos of their first 24 hours I'm feeling uplifted. The world is in a covid crisis. If they can bring just a bit of joy in a safe way to the people of Great Britain and beyond I think it is a worthwhile venture for 3 days. And, after recently watching a documentary on the Royal Train how wonderful to see it back in action again.
I agree! I really feel it’s necessary to allow people some happiness in a time where it seems that illness, death, grief, pain, will last forever. The world has been locked up for so long, life has been put on hold....can we just smile for a little bit ?
Old 12-07-2020, 12:48 PM
Courtier

I think the truest happiness will only come when life is what it once was and people are once again free to travel and live their lives. This tour is fine, but not the same as going back to being able to freely move about and see relatives and so on.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duke of cambridge