The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-06-2020, 06:31 PM
Heir Apparent

I think a lot of this is about perception - I think things are getting better in the UK tbh. Some areas are in the highest tier but some like where I live have done that and come out the other side.

I don't remember them travelling when it was not allowed in Oct, I know I travelled within the UK back in the half term holidays and don't remember it being against the rules especially sticking within your bubble in your own self-catering accommodation etc.

Let's see how it works out and how it is managed before assuming this is going to be a some sort of super-spreader style political rally.

Old 12-06-2020, 06:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Early photos of the couple at the train station.

[QUOTEThe Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have just left London Euston on the Royal Train on a three-day tour of the country to celebrate the best of Britain in the coronavirus pandemic.][/QUOTE]

https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/st...10218509033472

Old 12-06-2020, 06:46 PM
Royal Highness

Travel was allowed during half term, although many did cancel their holidays.

https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov...f-term-safely/

I think the "tour" will mostly end up being photos of very socially distanced visits, outside where at all possible of various worthy and possibly overlooked people and organisations which look pretty much like any other engagement they've carried out starting in July until the 2nd national lockdown. The only difference is that they're on the train and not going back to Kensington or London overnight.

I get why many are sceptical and don't think any travel should be allowed. I did a double take when I saw the headline yesterday. "Tour" automatically brings up a lot of images (at least it does for me) that are *very* out of place for a pandemic and I don't think it's like that. But we'll see tomorrow I imagine.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:12 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I think a lot of this is about perception - I think things are getting better in the UK tbh. Some areas are in the highest tier but some like where I live have done that and come out the other side.

I don't remember them travelling when it was not allowed in Oct, I know I travelled within the UK back in the half term holidays and don't remember it being against the rules especially sticking within your bubble in your own self-catering accommodation etc.

Let's see how it works out and how it is managed before assuming this is going to be a some sort of super-spreader style political rally.
My town is one of the London COVID hotspots, so things are bad here and we are at the height of our pandemic. I know elsewhere in the country you get the opposite picture though - I have friends further in the Kent countryside and they have said you wouldn't think there was a pandemic.

My perspective of things is probably warped compared to other Brits here, because we are so bad here. Despite being in tier 2 - the tiers don't always match the coronavirus rates of the area!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 12-06-2020, 07:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
My town is one of the London COVID hotspots, so things are bad here and we are at the height of our pandemic. I know elsewhere in the country you get the opposite picture though - I have friends further in the Kent countryside and they have said you wouldn't think there was a pandemic.

My perspective of things is probably warped compared to other Brits here, because we are so bad here. Despite being in tier 2 - the tiers don't always match the coronavirus rates of the area!

And completely understandable Hereditary Princess as I too live in a large metropolitan area (Los Angeles Co.). Considering that this three day journey would require the coordination of national and municipal governments as well as the NHS, I believe that we'll see the Cambridges' schedule taking all of the necessary information into consideration to limit possible infection.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:38 PM
Nobility

Talking about twitter, George Freeman (a Tory MP, ex-Minister of State at the Department for Transport) drops this tweet about this tour:

https://twitter.com/GeorgeFreemanMP/...19823799922688
Quote:
As the inevitable TwitterTroll Anti-Royal attack on #RoyalTrainTour comes:

Mountain railway Rail is by far the greenest mode of transport
Mountain railway We need a culture shift to promote rail travel as the high-status alternative to jets
Mountain railway Rail links are key to the UKFlag of United Kingdom
First the Crown and then this. I don't know that politicians are into royal watching as well ....

I wonder, if this tour is at the request of the government (as most of the royal tours were/are, and considering this tour seems to have no relation to the Cambridges' current projects), could they say something like "Sorry, but no. We won't do this. We'll definitely get backlash for this trip. What about say, we give example 'to stay at home during pandemic'?"
Old 12-07-2020, 12:08 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post
Talking about twitter, George Freeman (a Tory MP, ex-Minister of State at the Department for Transport) drops this tweet about this tour:

https://twitter.com/GeorgeFreemanMP/...19823799922688

First the Crown and then this. I don't know that politicians are into royal watching as well ....

I wonder, if this tour is at the request of the government (as most of the royal tours were/are, and considering this tour seems to have no relation to the Cambridges' current projects), could they say something like "Sorry, but no. We won't do this. We'll definitely get backlash for this trip. What about say, we give example 'to stay at home during pandemic'?"
For the BIB, Conservative politicians are generally staunch monarchist or even royalist and usually defends the Royal Family (or sit on their side). I could not even think of any republican/anti-monarchist MPs in the Conservative Party. On their social media accounts, they even wish happy birthday to prominent senior working royals (as well as George, Charlotte & Louis) and wedding anniversary to The Queen & Prince Philip.

I agree with you that there could be a possibility that this tour is requested by the government. I think William did have a virtual conference (Zoom) with a business owner in Manchester. And I also think Catherine (or other members of the Royal Family) also talked to the nurses and medical staffs virtually. Overall, I think there is a slight relation to the Cambridge's project, but perhaps less obvious.

In terms of lockdown/tier systems, there has been multiple robust debates (for v.s. against) in Parliament especially within the Conservative Party or those with right-leaning views. Of course, different regions of UK have differing response/attitude towards COVID-19. The Telegraph, The Spectator, The Express and possibly Daily Mail & The Sun are pretty much against further lockdowns and the tier systems.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her[QUOTE=HereditaryPrincess View Post
See, this is where I think work travel should be banned too. Things are pretty bad here at the moment. Unless it is absolutely necessary I believe nobody should travel out of their borough/district until things have died down. I saw 3 ambulances with COVID patients drive through my road in the space of 5 minutes last week.
We are not at the stage where travel is banned in the country, government guidelines on the matter are clear. People are travelling as and where they need to, just taking the sensible precautions along the way. In Tier2 & 3 (which is the vast majority fo the country), there are restrictions on mixing in domestic settings, but offices are open, public transportation is open, and, life goes on. The tour has been planned in keeping with the government guidelines, so I think we will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post

Well said! I fear a lot of us are pretty scarred by some of the events in the US in recent months to be quite cautious about these things now.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:21 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
That is certainly true, and it's causing a lot of bad feeling! I gather that Stratford-on-Avon is threatening to take legal action.

Infection rates here in Greater Manchester are falling rapidly, thankfully. However, we have been under additional restrictions since the end of July, longer than any other part of the country. Businesses here are suffering badly. Eating places are now forbidden to open at all except to offer takeaways. I went to a favourite independent café for a takeaway yesterday and the distressed owner apologised for having only a small selection to offer me - they cannot serve much fresh stuff as it goes off quickly and they're now selling so little in a day, and they've had to run down their stock of frozen stuff as they can no longer afford the electricity to run all the freezers. Yet they only get the same financial support as businesses in Tier 1, which are trading almost as normal.

People cannot see loved ones in other parts of the country. It's only in the last few days that people have been able to visit relatives in care homes.

A visit from William and Kate, even if we couldn't actually see them in person, would be a big morale booster. OK, not for some people, but certainly for others. Without wanting to get political, people feel badly let down by politicians of all parties, who don't seem to care a jot about the North and Midlands. If we could see that the Royal Family do care, it would mean a lot.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:29 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post

I agree with you that there could be a possibility that this tour is requested by the government. I think William did have a virtual conference (Zoom) with a business owner in Manchester. And I also think Catherine (or other members of the Royal Family) also talked to the nurses and medical staffs virtually. Overall, I think there is a slight relation to the Cambridge's project, but perhaps less obvious.

In terms of lockdown/tier systems, there has been multiple robust debates (for v.s. against) in Parliament especially within the Conservative Party or those with right-leaning views. Of course, different regions of UK have differing response/attitude towards COVID-19. The Telegraph, The Spectator, The Express and possibly Daily Mail & The Sun are pretty much against further lockdowns and the tier systems.
The Cambridges and other BRF members have done a lot of Zoom visits with keyworkers and other frontline staff. This is just the in person version.

I don't know who's idea it was but I doubt it is supposed to be some sort of "wag the dog" political attempt as people are capable of reading about more than one news item.

They and the rest of the BRF were doing in person visits from July to November I don't think this is very different and as far as we know everything went smoothly. I do understand people's concerns but I've also seen people react (elsewhere) like they're going on a boozy Christmas train party that ends in an orgy in a Scottish castle and not visiting various probably under publicised provincial towns and cities to officially thank and acknowledge people and organisations.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

"Thank you to transport workers everywhere for keeping the country moving throughout this difficult year.
Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas!

William & Catherine"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIfZ-polM_l/

They arrive in Edinburgh

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIffQjFHgmz/

https://twitter.com/EdinReporter/sta...871618/photo/1
https://twitter.com/EdinReporter/sta...726336/photo/1
Old 12-07-2020, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Duke and Duchess leaving London's Euston station on Sunday evening

Old 12-07-2020, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Here are two galleries and a pictured article about today, December 7:

** gettyimages gallery ** rex gallery **

** dm: Royals arrive in Edinburgh: Prince William and Kate Middleton are greeted by bagpipes as they step off train in Scottish capital ..**
Old 12-07-2020, 06:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post
I was thinking exactly the same about this tour, that it was actually requested by the government. The Cambridges were pretty happy to conduct all of their work through Zooms and calls and so on for so long, the tour's weird timing... Maybe the government thought they want to give people a little "pick-me-up" before Christmas.

And no, if it was requested by the government, barring some serious problems (a health issue?) they can't really say no.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

I know standards and policies are different in the UK than in the States, but as adorable as this is, William and Kate are not that far apart from these people; I can’t help but wonder why they aren’t wearing masks.

https://twitter.com/lizzieitv/status...523014148?s=21

That said, it appears they were wearing masks during their stops in Edinburgh, so I’m happy about that.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I know standards and policies are different in the UK than in the States, but as adorable as this is, William and Kate are not that far apart from these people; I can’t help but wonder why they aren’t wearing masks.

They are standing well back from the poeple, and talking wiht masks on is quite difficult...
Old 12-07-2020, 08:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

They're not wearing face masks because they're not in an indoor setting where it's mandatory to wear one.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
They are standing well back from the poeple, and talking wiht masks on is quite difficult...
They looked like they were standing pretty close to me...but maybe it’s just the perspective.

In any case, glad W and K are taking this tour. These workers have risked their lives, and I think a visit from the future King and Queen will bolster their spirits. This is a war on a virus, and just like George VI and Queen Elizabeth boosted morale by visiting people in war zones, so I’m sure this will be the case with the Cambridges. This is a huge part of what the Royals do, so as long as proper precautions are taken, I don’t get the uproar. Well, I do - but I’m not going to say why..
Old 12-07-2020, 08:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
This is a huge part of what the Royals do, so as long as proper precautions are taken, I don’t get the uproar.
There is no uproar, IMO, just a little bit of noise from some naysayers on social media, but that is about it.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:19 AM
Royal Highness

I think it's difficult to get perspective on how close people are standing sometimes, which is what TV shows are using a lot of at the moment. I assume they're being careful if only because the last thing they want is for Kate to get the virus or the events to be called a super spreader. And all the people they're meeting won't want to get it either.

The reindeer are definitely adorable and they look like they're part of a Christmas event for the kids at the school.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duke of cambridge