The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-06-2020, 11:36 AM
Courtier

I am not so sure about this opinion being in the majority at this point. There are elderly people who would probably enjoy seeing this but would have to stay in due to COVID. It's not about the Cambridges or the royals. Donald Trump here in the US was widely criticized for his large rallies during COVID. And it would be a true celebration if all could participate without fear of COVID.

Old 12-06-2020, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I like the art work by "doodle boy" Joe Whale to mark the mini Pre Christmas Tour.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55198752

Old 12-06-2020, 12:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Daly View Post
Those documentaries recently aired on PBS. Very informative and entertaining. I posted about them on the thread Royal Transport: Land, Sea and Air in Royal Life and Lifestyle.

"The Secrets of Royal Travel" highlight the history of the British Royal Train used by the British Monarchy going back to Queen Victoria until now. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
https://video.wkar.org/video/episode...flight-0hh9fb/
Ooh, there’s a thread for that? I have to check it out!

Yes, I really enjoy all Royal docs - and these were fun (I miss being able to travel, sigh). It’s funny how the Royal Train is more like comfy home than luxury palace, but understandable given how much time the “Principal” (usually HM) spends/spent on them. Naturally, Philip wasn’t a fan and made his objections known, lol.

Lucy Worsley is the best when it comes to Royal history - I love her !
Old 12-06-2020, 12:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I like the art work by "doodle boy" Joe Whale to mark the mini Pre Christmas Tour.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55198752
That’s amazing...and he’s only 10!
Old 12-06-2020, 01:30 PM
Serene Highness

I would sincerely hope that they'll visit Tier 3 areas (and Level 3/4 areas in Scotland). This is where a boost to morale is most needed, and also where key workers have been under the most strain.

I'm sure they will. They'll understand that, even though the politicians don't care. Otherwise, it'd be rather like William's great-grandparents ignoring the bomb-devastated East End and going to visit a remote area which the Blitz hadn't touched.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
Where I am there is a spiking and people are encouraged to stay indoors more. Some hospital staff are going on strike and retired medical people are urged to come and pitch in. There are still risks. And questions about the effectiveness of the vaccine. Have the tour but wait until there is no danger.
The infection rates vary depending on where you are, as do government restrictions. Thankfully, things in the UK are very different from parts of the US. The tour is fully compliant with local restrictions, so there really is no reason it shouldn't go ahead.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
I am not so sure about this opinion being in the majority at this point. There are elderly people who would probably enjoy seeing this but would have to stay in due to COVID. It's not about the Cambridges or the royals. Donald Trump here in the US was widely criticized for his large rallies during COVID. And it would be a true celebration if all could participate without fear of COVID.
This is not a general tour across the UK meant to attract the masses. It is a tour targetted at frontline and support workers. There will be no mass meet and greet or walkabouts. The elderly, like everyone else, will just have to watch online.
Old 12-06-2020, 02:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe we need to stop thinking of a tour like the ones we saw the Queen undertake for her Golden Jubilee where it was publicised in advance and huge crowds encouraged. W&K are travelling to few key places around the country to meet and thank people for their hard work during the first few months of the Covid pandemic, rather than returning each night by helicopter of aeroplane they are using the royal train so they can stay on it inbetween. I don't see the fuss to be honest, many members of the RF have been working and making visits in the last few months without issue so why assume there will be huge issues now?
Old 12-06-2020, 02:52 PM
Royal Highness

The only thing different from things like their visit to Wales in August and other places before the 2nd lock down. The royal train is probably also cheaper and more practical than a helicopter.

I'm surprised there wasn't a visit this afternoon, weren't they supposed to start today?
Old 12-06-2020, 03:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
This is not a general tour across the UK meant to attract the masses. It is a tour targetted at frontline and support workers. There will be no mass meet and greet or walkabouts. The elderly, like everyone else, will just have to watch online.
Thank you for pointing this out. I have to admit that I am surprised that people are under the impression that the visits along the route will be comparable to a large scale political rally or one of the past Jubilee tours.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Thank you for sharing the link and I also enjoyed the episode on the Royal Train. Fascinating to hear from those who have worked on it during their careers. I was most impressed with the driver who demonstrated how to park the train at the red carpet!
I'm glad you enjoyed the series. I accidentally posted the Royal Flight documentary instead of the train documentary on this Cambridge thread. I've updated it now
https://video.wkar.org/video/episode...-train-2udkam/
Old 12-06-2020, 03:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
The only thing different from things like their visit to Wales in August and other places before the 2nd lock down. The royal train is probably also cheaper and more practical than a helicopter.

I'm surprised there wasn't a visit this afternoon, weren't they supposed to start today?
My understanding is it is also better for the environment. I read online today that Charles had the train converted several years ago to work on used oil vs whatever it was before (coals or petrol I assume?)
Old 12-06-2020, 03:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Ooh, there’s a thread for that? I have to check it out!

Yes, I really enjoy all Royal docs - and these were fun (I miss being able to travel, sigh). It’s funny how the Royal Train is more like comfy home than luxury palace, but understandable given how much time the “Principal” (usually HM) spends/spent on them. Naturally, Philip wasn’t a fan and made his objections known, lol.

Lucy Worsley is the best when it comes to Royal history - I love her !
Yes, Lucy Worsley cannot be beat. PBS - Public Broadcast in the US carries her specials. FYI, I posted the Royal Flight documentary instead of the Royal Train documentary on my post, I've updated. https://video.wkar.org/video/episode...-train-2udkam/
Old 12-06-2020, 03:40 PM
Majesty

a great idea to go on tour and thank the COVID workers! can't wait to see the pictures.
Old 12-06-2020, 04:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

This sounds like a wonderful idea. I like that they’re using the royal train.
Old 12-06-2020, 04:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Daly View Post
Yes, Lucy Worsley cannot be beat. PBS - Public Broadcast in the US carries her specials. FYI, I posted the Royal Flight documentary instead of the Royal Train documentary on my post, I've updated. https://video.wkar.org/video/episode...-train-2udkam/
I watch them religiously !
Old 12-06-2020, 05:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

As a health care worker (a registered nurse), I would tell them to say their thanks after all this have blown over.

They can help health care workers by staying put, avoiding all unnecessary travel (like this tour)and maintaining all the necessary Covid-19 precautions.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:55 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
As a health care worker (a registered nurse), I would tell them to say their thanks after all this have blown over.

They can help health care workers by staying put, avoiding all unnecessary travel (like this tour)and maintaining all the necessary Covid-19 precautions.
I agree with this. It shouldn't be one rule for us and one rule for them - if I'm forbidden from a trip to the town nextdoor to me which is in tier 3 and I'm in tier 2, it should be the same for the Cambridges.

Royals are still humans and as we have seen from Charles and William himself, aren't exempt from catching Coronavirus, or indeed spreading it to other people.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 12-06-2020, 06:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I agree with this. It shouldn't be one rule for us and one rule for them - if I'm forbidden from a trip to the town nextdoor to me which is in tier 3 and I'm in tier 2, it should be the same for the Cambridges.

Royals are still humans and as we have seen from Charles and William himself, aren't exempt from catching Coronavirus, or indeed spreading it to other people.
But it's not necessarily one rule for them and another for us. They're travelling for work (which is allowed, even out of area) as long as they follow the rules of the higher tier should they go to one and keep following those rules when they drop back down a tier. The probably won't be stopping overnight in a tier 3 area.

I think there are questions about why it has to be done now and not in a few weeks once the vaccine has been rolled out a bit but it's not like they're going there for pleasure or some of the dumb stuff people have been doing even in tier 3 or taking the kids on Christmas shopping jaunt. I'm assuming the visits will only be to organisations that actually want them there to say thanks and provide publicity.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:17 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
But it's not necessarily one rule for them and another for us. They're travelling for work (which is allowed, even out of area) as long as they follow the rules of the higher tier should they go to one and keep following those rules when they drop back down a tier. The probably won't be stopping overnight in a tier 3 area.

I think there are questions about why it has to be done now and not in a few weeks once the vaccine has been rolled out a bit but it's not like they're going there for pleasure or some of the dumb stuff people have been doing even in tier 3 or taking the kids on Christmas shopping jaunt. I'm assuming the visits will only be to organisations that actually want them there to say thanks and provide publicity.
See, this is where I think work travel should be banned too. Things are pretty bad here at the moment. Unless it is absolutely necessary I believe nobody should travel out of their borough/district until things have died down. I saw 3 ambulances with COVID patients drive through my road in the space of 5 minutes last week.

My mother's office are mostly working from home. Many other workplaces are adapting to working from home here unless they can't, such as schools. Of course, these decisions are not in the Cambridge's control, but nevertheless it does not look in a good light (particularly when they travelled to the Scilly Islands in October when travelling was discouraged) to be touring the country when we're at the height of the pandemic.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duke of cambridge