Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 7: September 2016-September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that with the pandemic, people saw the Cambridges as "a family like their own" going through the lock downs and the schools closing and even seeing a member of that family affected by Covid-19, himself (William). The kids were very much involved with the sign making and the clapping and that showed that the family was just as affected and "making do" like the majority of the people in the UK. People identified with what the Cambridges were doing and even saw them working from home.

The majority of the senior BRF are classified as "older" and to isolate as they did was expected. Charles was the first member of the family to be infected but isolating away was different. No kids to manage. Their work though was just as welcomed as the Cambridges but I do believe that it was the "family coping" that drew the most attention for William and Catherine and family. ?

That’s possible...good point!

Charles did an awful lot, especially isolated, and even when he was sick. I think it’s the fact, also, that William and Kate clearly stepped up when needed - without Harry and Meghan to help carry the load, the BRF needed them, and the future King and Queen were there. No one would have been surprised by Charles, Camilla, etc...tackling such a crisis with gusto, but it seems to me that people WERE almost surprised by how the Cambridges came through. It feels like many people thought William was kind of diffident on the idea about being King...I actually think this goes hand in hand with all the reports about he and his father growing closer, Charles mentoring his son, William having a hand in decision making among with HM and Charles, etc...

Again, I love William and Kate - by no means do I begrudge ANY of their well deserved praise.

I've always thought that William and Catherine were stepping up to the mark and really delving into their full time working royal roles but, for a while there, they were kind of overshadowed by the glitz and the glimmer and glamour and then the gossip surrounding the "new and improved" couple, Harry and Meghan. With the press having a brand, spanking new "couple we like to diss", the Cambridges pretty much seemed to be ordinary and business as usual. It's the way of things.

Even with the pandemic, the BRF have come across very much as "Team Windsor" and to be honest, it gives the impression that the Sussex couple isn't really missed very much at all as far as the "Firm" running as a well oiled machine that can tackle anything. Even a pandemic of global proportions. ;)

I've always thought that William and Catherine were stepping up to the mark and really delving into their full time working royal roles but, for a while there, they were kind of overshadowed by the glitz and the glimmer and glamour and then the gossip surrounding the "new and improved" couple, Harry and Meghan. With the press having a brand, spanking new "couple we like to diss", the Cambridges pretty much seemed to be ordinary and business as usual. It's the way of things.

Even with the pandemic, the BRF have come across very much as "Team Windsor" and to be honest, it gives the impression that the Sussex couple isn't really missed very much at all as far as the "Firm" running as a well oiled machine that can tackle anything. Even a pandemic of global proportions. ;)

I think that's a great point, actually. Harry and Meghan were called the "brightest stars" - I suppose because of Meghan, but it does seem like balding William and unexciting (to some people) Kate were looked askance at in a way, like they were too boring. Well, I don't think so - and even if they were, who cares? They did their job, just like Charles, Camilla, Anne, Edward, Sophie, with dedication.

I should say - great POINTS, because I agree. Honestly, I feel like the BRF has run like a well-oiled machine.

It is a different playing field now. And because of the pandemic many of the appearances were limited for a few minutes of zoom calls. It is no ordinary time.

I think this trip was ill advised because of the blowback it's getting. The Cambridges are not wearing masks at every event. Politicians are coming for them . William and Kate are getting dragged on social media; the trip has been dubbed the Pandemic Express. The attempt by No 10 to do clean up is too little too late. The damage has been done.

Asserting something doesn't make it true. This sounds like hysterical nonsense & overreaction from a source like twitter or the red tops..

Last edited:
I think this trip was ill advised because of the blowback it's getting. The Cambridges are not wearing masks at every event. Politicians are coming for them . William and Kate are getting dragged on social media; the trip has been dubbed the Pandemic Express. The attempt by No 10 to do clean up is too little too late. The damage has been done.

i highly doubt that the cambridges did not respect the appropriate rules for every situation during this tour. they must have had their staff do their research so that they didn't do a foot wrong and been briefed on what the right thing to do was so i am sure there's a good explanation for it.

FYI, in the UK you don't need masks if standing at a distance from people/if outdoors.

I keep reading articles about how they just did "something controversial" - walked around without masks or something. What was it?

With COVID going around and numbers spiking, I believe in being conservative. I was concerned the Queen wore no mask and none of her family did (three others were over 70).

With COVID going around and numbers spiking, I believe in being conservative. I was concerned the Queen wore no mask and none of her family did (three others were over 70).

As many have previously said, the UK regulations do not require us to wear masks when outdoors.

"This Christmas we want to say THANK YOU to our key workers and their families for all they have done and for the sacrifices they have made to keep us safe. As a small part in that effort we have worked with @HamleysOfficial @TNLUK to share a bit of Christmas magic..."

I live here, read the newspapers, watch the news on tv, listen on radio and never heard it called the Pandemic Express.

Just because social media say it does not make it true.

I live here, read the newspapers, watch the news on tv, listen on radio and never heard it called the Pandemic Express.

Just because social media say it does not make it true.

yes what damage? A few politicans tried to use it to whinge.. and most of the press were very much in favour of it, of W and Kate showing themselves.. and thanking key workers.

I had tears in my eyes watching this...it’s truly beautiful and magical; kudos to William and Kate

Our web team’s take on a video that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have narrated. Hamleys toy shop arranged surprise presents for 250 children of key workers at the panto the Cambridges attended with George, Charlotte, and Louis on Friday.

I think that with the pandemic, people saw the Cambridges as "a family like their own" going through the lock downs and the schools closing and even seeing a member of that family affected by Covid-19, himself (William). The kids were very much involved with the sign making and the clapping and that showed that the family was just as affected and "making do" like the majority of the people in the UK. People identified with what the Cambridges were doing and even saw them working from home.

The majority of the senior BRF are classified as "older" and to isolate as they did was expected. Charles was the first member of the family to be infected but isolating away was different. No kids to manage. Their work though was just as welcomed as the Cambridges but I do believe that it was the "family coping" that drew the most attention for William and Catherine and family. ?

That is indeed what I have been feeling about this couple too. In the first years of their marriage, I was annoyed at how little they worked, the expenses for their accommodation... Having seen another married in and how that turned out, I began to appreciate that maybe this joining the BRF, learning to navigate a public role, etiquette, etc was actually much more than I imagined and maybe they did the right thing by starting slowly and treating this as a marathon rather than a sprint.

Yet, it is during the pandemic that they shone and it is an emotional response on my part. I am separated from my parents and the rest of extended family, and we are stuck in our house as a nuclear family, like most of the humanity. I appreciate the binds that support us, love of our family and our relatives, love of our friends. Seeing this nuclear family, supporting each other, loving each other, trying to do the best in their own way, during a pandemic (as we tried as a family ourselves) is uplifting. Seeing love is uplifting.

I got very emotional watching that video. Those kids, with their gifts, sigh...

Reactions: Fem
A wonderful post! And I completely agree, William and Catherine knew that they're in it for life, so there was no need to hurry - to give themselves time to be a married couple, to be parents, to have friends and life outside of the royal work. Which, it seems like, worked much better than hitting the ground running...

And Catherine is becoming more and more confident, having a say in the matter, her projects are great... She's an amazing queen-in-waiting and future Princess of Wales. We're lucky to have her.

That is indeed what I have been feeling about this couple too. In the first years of their marriage, I was annoyed at how little they worked, the expenses for their accommodation... Having seen another married in and how that turned out, I began to appreciate that maybe this joining the BRF, learning to navigate a public role, etiquette, etc was actually much more than I imagined and maybe they did the right thing by starting slowly and treating this as a marathon rather than a sprint.

Yet, it is during the pandemic that they shone and it is an emotional response on my part. I am separated from my parents and the rest of extended family, and we are stuck in our house as a nuclear family, like most of the humanity. I appreciate the binds that support us, love of our family and our relatives, love of our friends. Seeing this nuclear family, supporting each other, loving each other, trying to do the best in their own way, during a pandemic (as we tried as a family ourselves) is uplifting. Seeing love is uplifting.

I got very emotional watching that video. Those kids, with their gifts, sigh...
They're doing thier job.. reasonably well. And they were never meant to be full time royals in the first years. William had a job in Search and Rescue as a pilot.. and Kate was able to start her family and work her way into engagements over a period of time. At the time Phillip was still a full time royal and when he retired there were funds available and Will gave up his job to become a full time royal worker. K's been lucky to be able to spend a couple of years mainly with her children and then to move into full time work...

I am so pleased that the families of frontline workers were treated to this very special Christmas �� event. Hats off to everyone involved in organizing this delightful evening.

From the support for the monarchy thread about the recent train tour.

Very interesting comments from the (Scottish) First Minister.

When asked if the Cambridges were not welcome - “of course they're welcome"

On the perception that the her comments were (just) factual & bald
(ie unwelcoming/unenthusiastic) – "well look yes I'm sorry about that".

"I’m sure people were happy to see them here. The work that they do...…it"s hugely welcome”.

So those naysayers about the visit to Scotland have their response – from the horse’s mouth so to speak.

A wonderful post! And I completely agree, William and Catherine knew that they're in it for life, so there was no need to hurry - to give themselves time to be a married couple, to be parents, to have friends and life outside of the royal work. Which, it seems like, worked much better than hitting the ground running...

And Catherine is becoming more and more confident, having a say in the matter, her projects are great... She's an amazing queen-in-waiting and future Princess of Wales. We're lucky to have her.

IMO William wanted her eased into the role, for her own sake, he saw how his mother was hounded. I also think that is why they took their time to be married, he wanted her to be sure she could cope.
They faced a lot of criticism, Kate for being prepared to wait, him for taking so long.
Then the early years of the marriage. Good choices in my opinion and we are now seeing the fruit of those choices.

From the support for the monarchy thread about the recent train tour.

Very interesting comments from the (Scottish) First Minister.

When asked if the Cambridges were not welcome - “of course they're welcome"

On the perception that the her comments were (just) factual & bald
(ie unwelcoming/unenthusiastic) – "well look yes I'm sorry about that".

"I’m sure people were happy to see them here. The work that they do...…it"s hugely welcome”.

So those naysayers about the visit to Scotland have their response – from the horse’s mouth so to speak.

I don’t know if this is spin based on negative reaction to her comments, but I’m glad she said this nonetheless...

IMO William wanted her eased into the role, for her own sake, he saw how his mother was hounded. I also think that is why they took their time to be married, he wanted her to be sure she could cope.
They faced a lot of criticism, Kate for being prepared to wait, him for taking so long.
Then the early years of the marriage. Good choices in my opinion and we are now seeing the fruit of those choices.

It was probably a wise decision. I dont think that Kate was really into royal work at the first, but now that her family are a bit older, she seems to be developing more of an interest.....
I still think they could have done more in the early years, but it was on reflection probalby a wise idea to give her time to get used to royal life, and it did give her and WIlliam a few years when they could lead a relatively normal life...

I believe that is very true as William likely had heard from his parents and perhaps even his grandparents that things might have gone a little better for Diana and Sarah if they'd been eased into their roles. Also slowing the pace allowed for the Cambridges establish their family and become more comfortable in their role as parents. When the DoE was ready to retire, it was a natural progression for the Cambridges to take on more charities, patronages, military appointments and other royal duties ie: foreign tours. All in all I believe that while their plan initially garnered criticism, in the long run it was good planning for the future.

And they are in it for the long run, so yes, wise decision by William and his grandmother.

Wonderful and the Duchess in tartan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom