Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 7: September 2016-September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a brilliant idea this train trip is. I'm sure they'll be greeted at every stop with smiles and appreciation. It's a great way to highlight the people that have made surviving this pandemic easier for everyone all around.

This is what royal engagements and duty is all about. I'm going to enjoy following their trail as they make their way through England, Scotland and Wales. ?

That’s wonderful ! I just saw a documentary on PBS about the Royal Train - perfect timing! Seriously, this is the kind of thing the BRF is so good at ..

I admit, I can’t help wondering if this could have gone ahead had Charles been scheduled to do this - I’m thinking of potential bad reaction due to the Crown.

In any case, William and Kate are wonderful with the public - this is just fantastic.

Last edited:
Fab idea! A great pre-Christmas morale boost and a good use of the royal train (I suspect it is a bit of a necessity as it creates a Covid secure base for them).

In the doc I watched (actually it was a documentary in two parts - about Royal travel; the second part was about the Royal plane/s), they mentioned that only the most senior Royals (HM, Duke, Charles, Camilla) get to ride the Royal Train. Meghan did when HM invited her to one of her engagements, but Kate has never been on it, so, this will be a first for her!

Since many people are discouraged from travelling perhaps a "victory" train tour after COVID goes away would be more appropriate. It would encourage crowds waiting for the train now. The vaccines are just starting to be given out, COVID is not gone yet and is spiking now.

A tour through the country, visiting a whole bunch of strangers, when the country is meant to be on near lockdown :ermm:

I do wonder how royals think these are good ideas :bang:

Yes I know lockdown has been lifted for Christmas. But they are still telling people to stay close to home, and limit interaction and so on. The royals doing this is only going to encourage people to come out to stations to see them. They are supposed to lead by example, not see what we do, and do the opposite.

The photo op with medical staff in April, around the time William came down with covid come to anyone's mind :sad:

There is better ways of showing support then taking a holiday tour.

No doubt their will be strict protocols in place. Along with Mandatory masks and plenty of hand sanitizer people will Or should be medically screened in some way Or Have their temp taken on sight. I am sure crowds will be limited as well.

No doubt their will be strict protocols in place. Along with Mandatory masks and plenty of hand sanitizer people will Or should be medically screened in some way Or Have their temp taken on sight. I am sure crowds will be limited as well.

Oh I’m sure that’s true...see below. Maybe they’ll just stay in the train and wave/talk to people from the platform. Whatever William and Kate do, they are not going to put themselves, their children or anyone else at risk. Obviously HM and Charles signed off on this, so I think that they believe that this “tour” is a good thing for the country, that people need some joy in their lives, and maybe seeing the Cambridge’s will free their minds for a brief time.

The insider said the engagements were intended to "lighten the mood" at a difficult period in everyone's lives.

"They could have gone really very quiet during the pandemic and probably wouldn't have faced much criticism," the source added. "But actually they chose to keep busy. They've been itching to get back out and about, and the UK tour on the Royal Train enables them to do that in a safe, socially-distanced way."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...putswilliam-kates-public-schedule-back-track/

A tour through the country, visiting a whole bunch of strangers, when the country is meant to be on near lockdown :ermm:

Yes I know lockdown has been lifted for Christmas. But they are still telling people to stay close to home, and limit interaction and so on. The royals doing this is only going to encourage people to come out to stations to see them. They are supposed to lead by example, not see what we do, and do the opposite.

The photo op with medical staff in April, around the time William came down with covid come to anyone's mind :sad:

Specific arrival and departure times are not being revealed, so that crowds do not gather.

Intersting. I remember their NHS visit being March 19th. Are you referring to something else? Or are you speculating that a time machine was used?

Since it's entirely unlikely that they went rogue and commandeered the Royal Train and made all these arrangements without checking with with everyone, I assume that everything has been okayed with the people it needs to be, that there are strenuous protocols in place, all local guidance is followed and everyone who is getting a visit to thank them is happy with it.

I think it's a good idea as long as all of the above things are in place. Interesting to see where they pop up. The BRF did do some face to face engagements whilst many parts of the country were in local lockdowns over the Summer so it's like that.

The UK is not in lockdown, although the tiers in England are complicated all of them allow for some movement, and whilst William and Kate will be travelling "outside their area" it's for work and not recreational. And I assume everyone in the train has been checked for covid and everything has been strictly sanitised.

We'll see how it looks like it's working out today.

Last edited:
The UK is not in lockdown, part of it are in the highest tier of restrictions but even then travel for work reasons is permitted. It wouldn't surprise me if the areas chosen are those in Tier 1 and 2 so restrictions are not to tight anyway. Would people be having such issues if they were flying in and out of places each day by helicopter? I doubt it, they've just amalgamated all the engagements into a short period using the train as a base rather than returning to London/Norfolk each day. This isn't a "victory train ride" but a thank you to all those who have ha to and still are working hard to keep the country going.

Definitely curious to see how this plays out. Personally I have no real issue with this though I can understand some of the backlash. Overall I think most will receive it well. Will be wonderful PR for all.

:previous: Thank you to our posters in the UK who have shared information regarding the UK's current status. Pleased to know that the entire nation is not on near lock-down. Undoubtedly the thank you tour route and events have been reviewed approved by the officials representing the British government, local municipal governments, and the NHS.

From the BBC article.

All visits and official events will be conducted in line with government's coronavirus guidance.

Last edited:

First of all it is not a holiday tour. Secondly they will not have just decided to do it without consultation.
Thirdly the country is not in total lockdown, we are asked to avoid crowds I e. Pubs, sport arenas etc.
People go to work every day and mix with others.

In the doc I watched (actually it was a documentary in two parts - about Royal travel; the second part was about the Royal plane/s), they mentioned that only the most senior Royals (HM, Duke, Charles, Camilla) get to ride the Royal Train. Meghan did when HM invited her to one of her engagements, but Kate has never been on it, so, this will be a first for her!

Those documentaries recently aired on PBS. Very informative and entertaining. I posted about them on the thread Royal Transport: Land, Sea and Air in Royal Life and Lifestyle.

"The Secrets of Royal Travel" highlight the history of the British Royal Train used by the British Monarchy going back to Queen Victoria until now. I thoroughly enjoyed it! https://video.wkar.org/video/episode-1-secrets-of-the-royal-train-2udkam/

Last edited:
Definitely curious to see how this plays out. Personally I have no real issue with this though I can understand some of the backlash. Overall I think most will receive it well. Will be wonderful PR for all.

Why would there be backlash, I really do not understand some of the reaction here.
We are not all sitting in our houses with the doors and windows closed to the world. We go to work, travel on public transport to get there, work with others. Serve the public, work in offices.
All the time taking appropriate measures to avoid the spread. I live in a tier 4 area and do all of the above.

Last edited:
Why would there be backlash, I really do not understand some of the reaction here.
We are not all sitting in our houses with the doors and windows closed to the world. We go to work, travel on public transport to get there, work with others. Serve the public, work in offices.
All the time taking appropriate measures to avoid the spread.

There is some on twitter as you might imagine saying HM/Charles is sending them out for PR, that Boris has ordered this to draw attention off No Deal. Others that think the UK is still in lockdown and that people can't travel at all which isn't true, SNP kicking up a fuss etc. But that's twitter in general for you and it doesn't seem particularly wide spread, I don't think there's any sort of general backlash. Let's at least wait and see how it goes first.

Most reports this week suggest most people that are not shielding are going about their usual business even in Tier 3 so I don't see the problem.

The comments I keep seeing is the fact this is an expensive mini tour. The royal train is very, very costly. And then they are travelling while everyone is being told to not travel. It will naturally get a reaction and not all will be good. But it is to be expected.

Overall I think those they visit will appreciate it and it all will keep on moving.

I am going to take a step back here.

Last edited:
Let's move on please from speculating or inciting innuendo as to on the purpose of the tour, the cost of the tour and whether or not the tour should take place. Thank you.

What good is it to have a royal train if it doesn't get used for the purposes it is there for? Personally, I believe that this "thank you" tour is right on the money. It will be done within safety guidelines and is bound to boost morale wherever they go.

The "Firm" doesn't let the grass grow under their feet or hide behind castle walls when the nation is suffering. They come up with new and innovative ways to follow the Queen's belief that they "must be seen to be believed".

If anyone, at this time, deserves a "thank you" and a pat on the back and shown appreciation for the service they've given since the pandemic began, it's the front line workers that put their own health to the side to be able to support and take care of the general public that need them.

I'm all for this "whistle stop" train tour. :D

Last edited:
Now I picture William and Catherine going all Bonnie and Clyde Rogue and making off with a train with Royal officials And the Queenchasing them fists raised...

Those documentaries recently aired on PBS. Very informative and entertaining. I posted about them on the thread Royal Transport: Land, Sea and Air in Royal Life and Lifestyle.

"The Secrets of Royal Travel" highlight the history of the British Royal Train used by the British Monarchy going back to Queen Victoria until now. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
https://video.wkar.org/video/episode-2-secrets-of-the-royal-flight-0hh9fb/
Thank you for sharing the link and I also enjoyed the episode on the Royal Train. Fascinating to hear from those who have worked on it during their careers. I was most impressed with the driver who demonstrated how to park the train at the red carpet!

The comments I keep seeing is the fact this is an expensive mini tour. The royal train is very, very costly. And then they are travelling while everyone is being told to not travel. It will naturally get a reaction and not all will be good. But it is to be expected.

Overall I think those they visit will appreciate it and it all will keep on moving.

Not sure I see any reason for a backlash. As I have said on more than one occassion, real life, thankfully, is still a little different from Twitter.

COVID thanks should be after the all clear signal is out. Where I am there is a spiking and people are encouraged to stay indoors more. Some hospital staff are going on strike and retired medical people are urged to come and pitch in. There are still risks. And questions about the effectiveness of the vaccine. Have the tour but wait until there is no danger.

No matter what they do or don’t do someone somewhere is going to be upset, complain and take to SM to inform everyone of their grievances. For some people absolutely nothing any Royal does will never be right or enough. I think the majority of people will be enthusiastic and appreciate what the Cambridge couple are trying to do.

I am not so sure about this opinion being in the majority at this point. There are elderly people who would probably enjoy seeing this but would have to stay in due to COVID. It's not about the Cambridges or the royals. Donald Trump here in the US was widely criticized for his large rallies during COVID. And it would be a true celebration if all could participate without fear of COVID.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom