The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-09-2019, 05:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
However, I can't say I think Charlotte sticking her tongue out at reporters is either cute or appropriate. However, I can't say I think Charlotte sticking her tongue out at reporters is either cute or appropriate. It's just rude, and if this becomes a "thing" that the Cambidges tolerate, I'll think a whole lot less of their parenting.
My own view is that it is cute, but only because this was a child acting on impulse, and no amount of parental guidance can prevent a 4 year old from doing something like this the one time. That said, this is not something I would tolerate from my own children, and I would be surprised if Charlotte were allowed to get away with it in the future.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:11 AM
Serene Highness

I'm not sure she was sticking her tongue out at reporters. The video shows Catherine pointing downwards & waving & encouraging Charlotte to do the same - looks to me like it's directed at someone they know (who may well have stuck their tongue out at Charlotte first!). I agree it shouldn't be allowed again.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
Lovely photos, and it's nice to see George and Charlotte with Michael and Carole Middleton. However, I can't say I think Charlotte sticking her tongue out at reporters is either cute or appropriate. It's just rude, and if this becomes a "thing" that the Cambidges tolerate, I'll think a whole lot less of their parenting.
I agree!
I hope Kate and William made it clear to her that this sort of behavior isn't nice and will result in punishment if it happens again (and then follow through).
Old 08-09-2019, 07:33 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Really don’t think William and Catherine’s parenting needs bringing in to question. Charlottes a child, her father did similar when he also was a child. As have other royals.

I personally see nothing wrong with it, in humour. I personally think we’re imposing adult behaviour on a child.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Really don’t think William and Catherine’s parenting needs bringing in to question. Charlottes a child, her father did similar when he also was a child. As have other royals.

I personally see nothing wrong with it, in humour. I personally think we’re imposing adult behaviour on a child.
I'm not judging her as a child but that's twice she's been rude in publc and both parents have laughed it off. I couldn't believe William's reaction when she said "Your not coming" to the 'invited' press at the christening. He just smirked so no wonder she's getting the impression that she can get away with it.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:01 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I'm not judging her as a child but that's twice she's been rude in publc and both parents have laughed it off. I couldn't believe William's reaction when she said "Your not coming" to the 'invited' press at the christening. He just smirked so no wonder she's getting the impression that she can get away with it.

I think this all depends on whether you view a child sticking their tongue out as rude. I don’t.

What she said to the press was indeed quite funny, so I can understand why her father laughed.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

I thought the "you're not coming" comment was pretty adorable at the time, and I still do. Charlotte was younger, and there was nothing overtly rude about it, it was a statement of fact, offered up as children that age do.

If, as Lilyflo suggests, the tongue sticking out was directed at a friend, that's still not an ideal thing to be doing in public, but it's a totally different thing. If it was directed at reporters, it's not applying adult standards to a child, it's one of those things most parents wouldn't approve of--I wouldn't have. By the age of 4 most children are able to understand that there are some things you are allowed to do at home, with family, or with your own friends, and some things that don't belong out in public. It's not a huge deal, but I'm hoping it's also something we don't see repeated.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

As i expected i see the "perfect parenting judgment society" is out there ...
People just need to relax and see for what is it : a little girl being a little girl , and yes i've seen some rude behaviors from children and this is clearly not one.

It's extraordinary how absolutely everything is now subject to controversies nowadays . Oh well ...
Old 08-09-2019, 09:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

A beautiful family day out and that Charlotte leaving everyone in stitches. Nothing better than that.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-09-2019, 09:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
When I read about Charlotte stating to the press, "You're not coming" my first thought was that she's quite a precocious child and perhaps with William smirking about it, he might have been thinking, "Gee, I wish I could have said that!" Charlotte has also stolen the show the way she does wave at the gaggle of press. She's the extrovert to George's introverted mannerism in my book.

As she grows older, it may serve her well and she does sort of remind me of her Great Aunt Anne. She also will learn, as children do, what is appropriate and what is not appropriate behavior. Right now, she's just a little girl and does things that a little girl will do when the mood hits. Kids do and say the darndest things at times. Mine sure did.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:37 AM
Majesty

It was rude.. and Will shoudlnt' have laughed at it.. Of course he does not like reporters but Charl has to behave well in public.. She has to learn...
Old 08-09-2019, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
My own view is that it is cute, but only because this was a child acting on impulse, and no amount of parental guidance can prevent a 4 year old from doing something like this the one time. That said, this is not something I would tolerate from my own children, and I would be surprised if Charlotte were allowed to get away with it in the future.
Agreed and video shows that Catherine immediately said something to Charlotte after she stuck her tongue out.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Brings back memories of my mother admonishing me when I'd stick my tongue out or make a face that wasn't very "ladylike". I actually believed her when she told me that if I kept doing that, my face would freeze up with that expression for the rest of my life.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:56 AM
Nobility

Yes Catherine did said something to Charlotte immediately and she stopped. I'm sure she hears people talking about the press negatively. I think she takes after the Middletons right now, she is far more refined looking than Kate was at that age. Kids go thru so many changes as they grow up. I think she is a pretty little girl. I think she should be educated just like George she is the spare. Thant way they have a lot in common and can talk about current events and they will have more in common and be closer. Nice family.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
It was rude.. and Will shoudlnt' have laughed at it.. Of course he does not like reporters but Charl has to behave well in public.. She has to learn...
True.
And what can seem cute in a tiny child quickly becomes obnoxious as the child becomes older (but by then the behavior is ingrained).
Old 08-09-2019, 11:07 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I think this all depends on whether you view a child sticking their tongue out as rude. I don’t.

What she said to the press was indeed quite funny, so I can understand why her father laughed.
I do so agree. I think it is a childish thing which most do. I remember Harry doing and Mary of Denmark's oldest daughter doing. Also both Zara and Peters' oldest with tongue sticking out at cameras. A phase and normal. Even though they are royals, they are still children. It is when adults do and people do not fuss like this which puzzles me. I remember even Meghan sticking her tongue out Christmas prior to their marriage walking to church on Harry's arm. I don't remember anyone claiming that was rude, just cute or funny. Being American, I remember very well Caroline Kennedy doing the same when only about 4 and her father, our president laughed out loud. They are children, not candy-box little adults. If that is the worse they ever do in public I will be shocked. All of our children have probably done worse. They just need to be told later what is expected and when. Quite confusing for a child . My mother's remark for certain dos was "Today Strict Sunday Manners" which meant we were going to funeral, fancy restaurant, fussy relative's home [had to sit on sofa and be quiet unless asked a question] etc. Rest of the time we were just kids that loved life and parents.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Personally I think the person they were pointing to was someone they knew, Catherine wouldn't react like that if her daughter stuck her tongue out to the press. Likewise, Carole is behind them holding on to Charlotte's hand and she laughs too, I really don't see both women having that reaction to Charlotte doing that to anyone other than someone they know. Catherine's reaction could be put down to the adrenaline of having just competed but not Carole's, both seemed to find it funny so I guess it was towards a friend or situation and they didn't realise it was on camera and so public.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Let’s lay off judging a 4 year old child, please.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:10 AM
Majesty

So apparently Charlotte was sticking her tongue out at Grandpa Mike and that’s just the cutest thing in the world... awww
Old 08-10-2019, 11:14 AM
Majesty

I just imagine being a famous parent of a child and trying to teach them what they should expect and do when they go to these events.

Obviously, the Cambridge kids were taught "wave to the crowds" at a very early age. I assume they were also taught that there would be photogs, sometimes with flashes, sometimes calling out their names. Because who would not want their kids to understand this bizarre kind of thing? I would imagine part of the explaining would include that the kids need to do THIS at some times and need not do it at others. As in, "When we arrive we..." and "When we go to the next place you need not..."

JMO, but I am sure the kids have picked up on the fact that their Dad and Mom don't trust the press and that you always have to be on guard around the press. So no surprise that a little kid would gloat about getting away from them.

And I know otherwise dignified adults that stick out their tongues. Both my boss and her number two do this rolled tongue stuck out with a grimace to signify they are saying something cheeky. It really creeps me out and almost NOTHING creeps me out. I know they are saying something cheeky and the really ugly face adds nothing. Human beings are just odd IMO.

EDIT: I just saw the snaps of the kids on the watch boat. Good news that the kids and the Middletons do not appear to get seasick. And Charlotte spent time in the cabin - checking out how that boat gets about, I presume. I am one of the many that things she will be a gear head when she grows up!

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duke of cambridge