Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family: Married Life

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When we see William and Kate, we're seeing the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in their royal roles. That's how it should be.

Exactly. And that's what I was trying to get across as well.

Basically I've never seen either William or Kate as overly affectionate to each other in public. We've seen them joshing around and there's been looks between them where you can see how they feel about each other but even at their wedding, they were more formal than say Victoria and Daniel were at theirs.

I put this down to William's deep aversion to the press and their meddling in the private lives of their parents. He has basically drawn a line in the sand that no press will cross and when they are in public, they act in their public persona. Its kept the press from hounding them while they are in Wales and we've seen very few photos that would be considered invasion of privacy with these two. Perhaps this is one reason they've latched onto Pippa. William has granted interviews when it is for a good reason such as his Granny's Jubilee and some documentaries about his charities but none have ever crossed the line asking about his private life. Kate is comfortable enough now with his family that she doesn't need to be glued to his side and they feel comfortable enough as a couple that they don't have to be together 24/7 and can enjoy interacting alone with other members of the family.

When we see William and Kate, we're seeing the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in their royal roles. That's how it should be.

For sure I can go with that - it's a tad extreme imo - but it's possible it's as you say. Except for those overt moments that are 'uncalled for' in a public sense. Anyway, not important really - not today. It might be later on down the line - but not today. :flowers:

Now, a mere year into the marriage and we are finding that William is behaving like the privileged upper-class male he is, assuming Kate can now fend for herself and she does not have to be coddled - all laudable but we have also seen 2 or 3 times when William has actually been expressing upset to Kate - in public. :wacko: That's cool. About what we cannot know (maybe he was joking haha) but Kate was clearly not comfortable, though in one instance Harry, who was near-by, was smiling in the midst of it.

I've never seen William get upset with Kate in public. And if he had, you can best believe the press would have been all over it.

Yep. Totally agree.

Last edited:
When has William been publically rude to her? Or what are these "uncalled for" moments?

I've never seen William get upset with Kate in public. And if he had, you can best believe the press would have been all over it.

Nope. William is hands-off. He's Diana's son. The narrative regarding William (and Harry) is too valuable to tinker with. Do you think certain portions of the British public would sit still for 'honest reporting' regarding William - and Harry and Charles for that matter? I don't think so. The press are vested in a certain very powerful narrative because its lucrative - they'll stick to it until it doesn't 'sell' anymore. However, that doesn't stop them from showing the pictures without comment.

Last edited:
Like I've said, I've never seen any photos or video of William being mean to Kate in public. Nor have I heard any rumors of that sort of behavior. Without actual evidence, I'm going to assume it's not true.

^Yes, it would be interesting to see some real links, photos or some actual evidence of what some have been saying about William.

Now here are some photos I quickly googled which show William and Kate in private - in situations where there was a reasonable expectation that the press had not been called or any sort of public notice given that William and Kate were going to be somewhere. In other words, these were private times - taking a walk in the park, talking a walk with their pup along a beach, or at a cousin's wedding last week.

William and Kate walking in the park:
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/320775/WILLIAM-KATE-MATCH.jpg
William and Kate walking on the beach:
http://belieber.files.wordpress.com...ton-prince-william-puppy-cocker-spaniel-3.jpg
William and Kate at his cousin's June 9th wedding (several photos in this article of what the Daily Mail calls 'adoring William'):
Kate Middleton looks demure as she and William attend wedding of Princess Diana's niece | Mail Online

Last edited:
I agree that William hates the media and is never going to go on display for them. I also agree that they do seem distant in the photos. But I've never seen them any other way.

As for Will and Kate's marriage, who can say? I will say this. Anyone who is married a long time know that all marriages go through some very rough patches. And then things are back to normal again. I'm going to assume that these two are mature enough to be in it for the long haul.

Also, they've been together ten years already. They've ALREADY proved they're in it for the long haul.

Also, they've been together ten years already. They've ALREADY proved they're in it for the long haul.

This is true, but marriage IS different from living together. I think every couple goes through an adjustment after the marriage, and it's not always an easy one. That is not to say that I think this marriage is in trouble. If anything I will assume that any distance is either due to the fact that they hate the media interference or they are in a rough patch. If my own marriage of many years were on such display every week, God only knows what the photos would indicate. :lol:

I can't blame these two for not showing affection in public. Last time they threw each other a "knowing glance" when Kate refused peanut butter every paper on the planet announced her pregnancy.

They have only been MARRIED for a year, I don't care how long they were together before.
Obligations, real and imagined, of married couples and especially this married couple are much greater.
In fact, the pressure on them is ,of course enormous.
Also, what's wrong with a married couple fighting? Proper communication, fair fights, are what keeps any long range relationship going.
William may very well feel angry about the "decision" he has to make in his career.
He also may want to give the press as little as possible.

As for Will and Kate's marriage, who can say? I will say this. Anyone who is married a long time know that all marriages go through some very rough patches. And then things are back to normal again. I'm going to assume that these two are mature enough to be in it for the long haul.

Agree - and I think maybe they are hitting that patch now, maybe - who knows. I think Kate is mature enough - and has the kind of parental support - that will make the long haul possible for her. She also seems to be the kind of woman Camilila is - a bridge-builder.

Given that I am not a careful collector of links - and don't pay attention to when and where - I can't supply links but I recall the moments very clearly. And I've just shown you with the links to this year's Trooping of the Color balcony scene - compare it to last year.

Anyway, first I have heard that this is all about convincing people. It's all in how you 'read' the images. I've just spoke my piece - what I see. Thank you. :flowers:

If my own marriage of many years were on such display every week, God only knows what the photos would indicate. :lol:

You said it, girl! :p

I can't blame these two for not showing affection in public. Last time they threw each other a "knowing glance" when Kate refused peanut butter every paper on the planet announced her pregnancy.

Look, it's going to be their life, may as well relax and enjoy it. However, I guess they will be going the route of the Queen and Philip. Okay, but not very avant-garde. Someone mentioned Haakon and Mette-Marit being in love no matter who is watching - good for them! :flowers:

Last edited:
Agree - and I think maybe they are hitting that patch now, maybe - who knows. I think Kate is mature enough - and has the kind of parental support - that will make the long haul possible for her. She also seems to be the kind of woman Camilila is - a bridge-builder.

Given that I am not careful collector of links - and don't pay attention to when and where - I can't supply links but I recall the moments very clearly.

Anyway, first I have heard that this is all about convincing people. It's all in how you 'read' the images. I've just spoke my piece - what I see. Thank you. :flowers:

I completely agree with you that Kate is like Camilla. Both supportive of their husbands, and probably both the caretaker in the relationship. William certainly needs that after his own relationship with his mother, where he had to take care of her, and then her tragic death. As for Charles, he certainly let the world know he needed a caretaker. :ROFLMAO: I think that they both have very similar temperaments as well, neither of them high strung and both fairly quiet, unassuming women.

Sometimes it's the couples who put on the biggest romantic shows for the public who have the least stability behind closed doors. Seal and Heidi Klum come to mind as an extreme case. :eek:

HEADLINES!!!! Royal couple like the rest of us. We have fights at times, we roll our eyes, and look the other way. At the end of the day we know who has our back and we love each other.

Given that I am not a careful collector of links - and don't pay attention to when and where - I can't supply links but I recall the moments very clearly. And I've just shown you with the links to this year's Trooping of the Color balcony scene - compare it to last year.

I certainly support your position that you are entitled to voice what your opinion is based on photos that you have seen. :flowers:

However, a person doesn't have to "collect" links - if you can recall the moments clearly, you should be able to find those photos by searching google images. :flowers:

Last edited:
I have to agree, too. It's been noticeable because there is clearly more warmth (and relaxation) happening between Kate and Harry and Kate and Camilla than one sees between Kate and William.

Diana always had an issue with Charles not 'being there' for her - for sure in public. It's been a complaint against Charles of not showing emotion - or enough emotion - for the emotional Diana. Hence, this aspect was assiduously studied when William and Kate went on their Canadian Tour last year. Posters were heartened to see William's gestures of 'support' for Kate. William would not be the cold-fish to his wife in public that Charles (supposedly) was to Diana. (An observation I disagree with. I always saw Charles as very gentlemanly with Diana in public).

Now, a mere year into the marriage and we are finding that William is behaving like the privileged upper-class male he is, assuming Kate can now fend for herself and she does not have to be coddled - all laudable but we have also seen 2 or 3 times when William has actually been expressing upset to Kate - in public. :wacko: That's cool. About what we cannot know (maybe he was joking haha) but Kate was clearly not comfortable, though in one instance Harry, who was near-by, was smiling in the midst of it.

The difference between William's 'support' of Kate last year at the Trooping and this year is marked. This year William and Kate were on the balcony as though they weren't a couple - thank heavens for Lady Louise who gave Kate someone to focus on.

I never had any particular 'feeling' about Kate one way or the other before the wedding - except I thought I sensed she was trying to be too perfect and was displaying deep tenseness - not easy to watch. At the engagement and then through the wedding I started to feel that maybe she wasn't my cup-of-tea - I have had concerns bobbing to the surface. But I've since come to feel compassion for her - and to like her. I also think the BRF and the nation will in times to come have every reason to be grateful to Carole Middleton for the calibre of daughter she raised.

William may not be the kind of man so many are projecting he is. He shares very little and does not seem genuine in front of the camera. I find him covert and resentful in interviews. (As well as being abysmally poorly spoken for a university educated young man). I think he may have more of his Uncle Spencer in him than the Father Windsor side (unfortunately).

P.S. BTW I can't think of any couple we look at on TRF that kisses and cuddles in public. :confused:

The only time I actually had to stop and look at the pictures more than once because I thought I saw a scowl on William's face and Catherine looking like she wanted to disappear was on the day of the Jubilee Pageant. When they were walking to the barge (before greeting some of the spectators), William looked like he was fuming (his hands were balled into fists too, so something must have been eating him that afternoon). Catherine looked a bit uncomfortable and when he looked at her, didn't return the gesture. I'm not sure what it means (if anything), but maybe they were both just exhausted. They had some engagements prior to the Jubilee Weekend, so maybe the toll of that was weighing on him, maybe it was his hectic schedule at work, or they could have argued earlier, like any couple. Anything's possible, but I don't know if it necessarily means there's trouble in paradise. Just my own observations, of course.

It worked. I don't think you meant #198. Clickie Here William is actually physically drawing away from Kate all through that picture series.

We could have dueling snapshots. Your photo shows Kate jollying William. He is in receiving mode - she is getting him to laugh - he is making no effort. However, picture after picture in that stream of photos you have provided show a very separate couple - you could drive a truck through the daylight between them. Here's one or two of many Kate and William at the Trooping 2012. Harry's gesture is interesting.

And then: Trooping 2012 Pic#1,
and Trooping 2012 Pic#2
and Trooping 2012 Pic#3
and Trooping 2012 Pic#4
and Trooping 2012 Pic#5

You get the idea. And this is only one example - I wasn't even expecting to see this level of support for my thesis in this set of pictures.

What is notable is the warmth and ease of Harry and that he winds up being physically closer and comforting towards her in the second series of photos on the balcony when she is in the gold/white dress. In fact I sometimes watch Harry and Kate and wonder if she married the wrong brother.

William and Kate and Harry Pic#1
William and Kate and Harry Pic#2 William's posture is beyond 'shyness'.

Again, this is Kate making William feel good. He is in receiving mode.

What I noticed at Trooping the Colour is that William wasn't really engaging with anyone. He appeared to be somewhere else entirely, and when he was engaging, it was like he was responding to noise. Catherine looked rather stressed, and tired. Again, I'm going to attribute it to being overtired from all the social interactions with people day in and day out and being on display. I know that when I've been in the classroom for a week, I'm so not in the mood to be chatty by Friday afternoon, and it's not unusual that I may snap, or not be as engaging as I'd like to be when talking to someone. William's posture may very well be saying 'I'm ready for some 'me' time' rather than 'my wife's making me ill and I'm annoyed with her'. Same for the balcony appearance on Tuesday of the Jubilee celebrations; he was withdrawn in general, and not really interacting with anyone, and maybe again, due to frustration and wanting to get a break, he decided to step away from Harry and Catherine, whose giggling may have been getting on his nerves. Or, he just wasn't in the mood for anything, period. Again, my observations. I've never seen this couple interact with each other outside of a public engagement, so I don't want to make any assumptions about their private lives. They may very well be in separate bedrooms in Wales, but since that doesn't effect any of their charity works and other official functions, it's their own personal business and decision.

What people fail to realise is that a photograph can have 1000 stories. Anyone can interpret emotions from a photograph, but they are static and are not the definitive answer to how someone is feeling. Smiling doesn't in a photo doesn't always constitute happiness in reality.

Unless you have live with the couple, or are closely acquainted with them, no one has an idea what, if any, problems they may have. William may have been having an off day - maybe feeling unwell, tired or he may have had an argument with Kate. Or there may be nothing wrong at all.

As others have stated, Kate does not appear to be one that needs to be surgically attached to her husband's hip. She has clearly been gently introduced to the world of royalty, which is to be expected. William himself stated that he has learned from past mistakes. But she is also a tertiary-educated woman, who has lived. She can keep her own. She has always shown that she is there to support William, both in his career in the RAF and his position in the Royal Family.

The only time I actually had to stop and look at the pictures more than once because I thought I saw a scowl on William's face and Catherine looking like she wanted to disappear was on the day of the Jubilee Pageant. When they were walking to the barge (before greeting some of the spectators), William looked like he was fuming (his hands were balled into fists too, so something must have been eating him that afternoon). Catherine looked a bit uncomfortable and when he looked at her, didn't return the gesture. [...]

[...] What I noticed at Trooping the Colour is that William wasn't really engaging with anyone. He appeared to be somewhere else entirely, and when he was engaging, it was like he was responding to noise. Catherine looked rather stressed, and tired.

What you describe is familiar - it appears it's becoming usual. There could be many reasons, of course - not to mention the situation with Philip - but part of his job is to be a public figure - and with that come some realities. So there you have two more examples of William displaying displeasure publicly. He doesn't really mask it.

I wonder about him overall - I wonder about how close Harry hovers - I do see it as hovering. If one knows anything about the disjunct with their mother, I wonder how much of Diana's modus William carries in how he relates to a spouse. Is he engaging with his spouse in the sorts of ways Diana engaged with hers? It crosses my mind. Especially when I see the disquiet on Kate's face. Has she found herself dealing with something she didn't bargain for? It crosses my mind when I see William's public behavior, hear him speak, watch his interactions.

Living together the way William and Kate did and being married with all the in-laws as part of the equation are very different realities. Kate is making her way and appears to be doing well making connections positively. Does this please William?

Maybe it's none of it the marriage, as you and others suggest. Maybe it's his job - his two jobs, in fact. Maybe it's all the possible changes looming - but royalty always have personal lives that are the background noise to their public duties. Why should William be excused for not maintaining good presence regardless of his personal life issues? Why does suddenly not paying attention to Kate and making sure she is settled in a public setting not important - when once it was so very important?

I really have to say again... I think you're reading what you wish to see into these photos and I don't think there's any evidence supporting your conclusions.

I really have to say again... I think you're reading what you wish to see into these photos and I don't think there's any evidence supporting your conclusions.

Well, one thing we can be dead certain on - we will never hear anything about the reality of the marriage from Kate. Those days are well and good over - thankfully.

I continue to be impressed with Kate.

My hope is that William gets over whatever issues he has from his past and stops being so contemptuous of the whole of the life he was born into and destined for.

What you describe is familiar - it appears it's becoming usual. There could be many reasons, of course - not to mention the situation with Philip - but part of his job is to be a public figure - and with that come some realities. So there you have two more examples of William displaying displeasure publicly. He doesn't really mask it.

I wonder about him overall - I wonder about how close Harry hovers - I do see it as hovering. If one knows anything about the disjunct with their mother, I wonder how much of Diana's modus William carries in how he relates to a spouse. Is he engaging with his spouse in the sorts of ways Diana engaged with hers? It crosses my mind. Especially when I see the disquiet on Kate's face. Has she found herself dealing with something she didn't bargain for? It crosses my mind when I see William's public behavior, hear him speak, watch his interactions.

Living together the way William and Kate did and being married with all the in-laws as part of the equation are very different realities. Kate is making her way and appears to be doing well making connections positively. Does this please William?

Maybe it's none of it the marriage, as you and others suggest. Maybe it's his job - his two jobs, in fact. Maybe it's all the possible changes looming - but royalty always have personal lives that are the background noise to their public duties. Why should William be excused for not maintaining good presence regardless of his personal life issues? Why does suddenly not paying attention to Kate and making sure she is settled in a public setting not important - when once it was so very important?

Wow...where to begin? This is getting into a psychological territory, and I'm not psychologist so I don't want to say something and be totally off the mark. However, you did give me some things to think about; the way Charles and Diana interacted and the detachment we saw in her in later years (the only time she appeared engaged was when she was with children or those who were seriously ill), and how William is coping with everything. No doubt the fact that he has to make a decision regarding his RAF/SAR career is not making him happy, since he loves being in the background. Taking on royal duties full time isn't something he wanted to do (or thought he would have to do) for a long time.

Last edited:
Well, one thing we can be dead certain on - we will never hear anything about the reality of the marriage from Kate. Those days are well and good over - thankfully.

I continue to be impressed with Kate.

My hope is that William gets over whatever issues he has from his past and stops being so contemptuous of the whole of the life he was born into and destined for.

I thought this forum was more factual than fiction unless you actually know William as a friend I dont think you should be assuming such things about him. Therefore I can only conclude that this is complete fiction that you are cooking up here. A bit of pot stirring for the sake of it.

Now heres a fact one might like to consider if you know anything about photography like I do then you would know that these photos are not moments they are miniscule parts of moments so fleeting we wouldnt actually notice them if they werent captured by rapid fired photography.

Second fact the weather was atrocious on the jubilee day prince phillip wasnt well they would have known this.
None of them really looked like they wanted to be standing out in the elements getting rained on in the freezing wind. I saw all of them looking cold it wasnt just William with clenched fists and a taut face and I only saw it as them bracing themselves against the crappy weather.
So I would imagine some of these expressions that are being loosely interpreted here are in fact only to do with the fact that it was a crappy day.

For the love of god lets not start stirring the pot when there is nothing in it.
Prince William appears to be nice enough and Kate doesnt look stupid enough to marry someone who is going to treat her badly. They have been together long enough to know what the each other are about.

When they make a public appearance its work therefore they will have a code of conduct they all have to adhere to including the Queen. You can bet your life that public snogging and groping arent included even if some of you are so desperate to see it.
This jubilee is about the Queen its her event to be celebrated they are just guests to her event William and Kate would not be thinking of behaving in anyway that was going to take the attention away from her main event.

The only good thing about this discussion gave me was that it was so far out of the ballpark I thought you were being funny I had a really good laugh so thanks for that at least

:neutral:

Therefore I can only conclude that this is complete fiction that you are cooking up here. A bit of pot stirring for the sake of it.

No. I have some thoughts about what I am seeing. Because what I see does not jive with what you see does not make what I see 'pot stirring'.

Too many assumptions and inaccurate cross-references to respond to all your points. You operate from a very powerful narrative of what must be going on. I am suggesting that it may not be what everyone believes they are seeing - and that is based on far more than a photograph or two.

For the love of god lets not start stirring the pot when there is nothing in it.

I am not stirring any pot. I am saying what I think. I am describing what I see. Others are seeing it, too. That's what we do here - we comment on what we see.

The only good thing about this discussion gave me was that it was so far out of the ballpark I thought you were being funny I had a really good laugh so thanks for that at least

Happy to have amused you. Interesting way you have of handling opinions that diverge from your own. I assume it works for you.

Anyway, its just an opinion. I often change my views. I have about Kate. So it goes.

Last edited:
helenbeee said:
I thought this forum was more factual than fiction

When it comes to royals, any royal family we know nothing as fact except maybe birthdays, wedding dates and royal events that happen every year. As for emotions, feelings and whatnot we know nothing an rely on the press to 'inform' us or the occasional personal interview like we've seen these past two years. Nothing is fact, everything is debatable and most of it rumour.

helenbeee said:
Second fact the weather was atrocious on the jubilee day prince phillip wasnt well they would have known this.

Actually on Pageant day, it is believed nobody knew about the infection because Philip would not have been allowed to attend he event. It is assumed, the infection came on that evening or he never told anyone until after the event was over. You cannot know when the royal family found out.

helenbeee said:

That's just rude. A poster is allowed to express their opinion without being trashed or laughed at my other members of the forum, it's uncalled for.

I really don't understand what some are talking about in regards to William's attitude at Trooping. I just watched some video of the balacony appearance (posted in the main British Royals section) and William seemed to be in good spirits. He was laughing and talking to Kate, Beatrice and the other royals. I honestly didn't see any bad mood.

Last edited:

I don't remember William ever expressing contempt of royal life. In all articles I've read about him he seemed respectful of the Queen and of the monarchy. Can you give a source for this?

My goodness but there are some very overactive imaginations at work on this thread. I have a feeling that people have a settled opinion on this couple and then go and hunt for pictures to somehow justify their fantastical presumptions. We can all do that. In this photo they're not only touching but both have smiles on their faces and are angled into each other. At his cousin's wedding last week he had his arm around her in almost all the photos. On all their joint engagements William is constantly checking to see if she's ok, although he'll probably do this less and less as it's clear that Kate's very capable of doing her own thing.

You can tell absolutely nothing about a relationship's dynamic from split second photos. In one of the photos used to 'demonstrate' William's distance from Kate, all he's doing is talking to his cousins to his left. What do people want him to do? Never talk to anyone else? Never let the gap between them go above 6 inches?

This sort of specualtion is utterly pointless. For all we know William had a headache on the balcony, or maybe he was dying for the loo and just wanted to get it over with? Or maybe he was just tired after sitting on a horse for almost 3 hours solid.

As someone said previously, Seal and Heidi Klum used to be very affectionate in public. They had several children very quickly and renewed their wedding vows on their anniversary every year. And yet, the relationship has failed.

Do I think Will and Kate are still in the super passionate stage of their relationship? No. But they've been together a long time, lived together for several years, and I think they not only love each other but have fun together too. They're a good team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom