Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family: Married Life

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think William and Kate have such a different dynamic then Charles and Diana. It was a completely different world then, and until Diana, the Royals were always center stage anywhere they went, it was always about the image. Charles was raised to obey completely what was laid out for him by the firm, he learned this first hand at his mothers knee,or should I say his nanny's knee because his mother was busy being HM QEII. Also, Diana and Charles weren't in love, maybe given different circumstances they could of learned to love each other, but Charles needed a virgin & Diana wanted to marry the Prince of Wales, so they didn't stand a chance.
IMHO,Kate and William love each other, to me that means they want the best for the other, you could see their pride in each other the entire day, I think they have what it takes to make it work, I don't think egos will be issue with these two.

Good summation of the essential differences between both women. Added to which, perhaps,is the fact that Diana only met with Charles on 12 occasions before they married and was still calling him 'sir' and Catherine and William have been living as man and wife for some years.

Also, the Palace has appointed a very experienced and accomplished man in the ways of diplomacy, international affairs and royal protocol to advise and mentor Catherine, something which Diana never had - she was left to founder. As her adviser, he will be travelling to Canada with them both; he already has the confidence of William, having been charged with overseeing his and Harry's office when they established their independent office, and at HM's insistence.

Everything bodes well for the success of this most welcome marriage.

Diana was not left to founder.

She was given senior advisors - one being one of the Queen's own experienced Ladies-in-Waiting - but Diana dispensed with their services and advice before the marriage.

I heard on NPR radio when they were talking about Diana's virginity saying that there was no written requirement that the heir to the throne had to marry a virgin (I thought that there was) but according to this report, it was more or less an understanding or a gentleman's type agreement that this is how it would be.

Diana dispensed with the services of those who told her that her husband could have a mistress and to grin and bear it. What nonsense. She was a fool, she married a man who was devoted to another woman.

I hope that they make it but only God knows if they will. They seem very down to earth. They got to truly know each other before they got married. I think they are a good example for many couples out there.

Diana dispensed with the services of those who told her that her husband could have a mistress and to grin and bear it. What nonsense. She was a fool, she married a man who was devoted to another woman.

I think it's disrespectful to call her 'a fool'. Do you know all and recognize every signal in that area when you are barely 20?
Hindsight provides easy talk.

Anyway, I think Catherine and William have a very good life ahead of them. They know each other, took their time and are on the same level. I have confidence that they will make it work.

I also agree William & Catherine are going to have a healthy marriage. I say this not only because they've known each other for years and got married when they wanted to, but because its also psychology.

I've read the best pair is when the woman is oldest in her family, this way the man could bring out her mothering ways. William lost his mother at a young age, and I've heard that he's needy. Therefore he has Catherine, who is the oldest in her family, to take care of him. Plus, they are both the oldest making them natural leaders, so they will go far together.

This is a match in heaven, dare I say!

The cottage that the Cambridges will occupy will it be on an estate or is it a cottage among other cottages?

sirhon11234 said:
The cottage that the Cambridges will occupy will it be on an estate or is it a cottage among other cottages?

It's the same place they've been living I believe and I think it Royal family and media have an agreement not to publish it's exact location - though I've always thought it was not on an estate but just a regular allbeit large house, yes?

It's the same place they've been living I believe and I think it Royal family and media have an agreement not to publish it's exact location - though I've always thought it was not on an estate but just a regular allbeit large house, yes?

Ah, very normal for these newlyweds. This will give Kate time to get used to her new role.

I think that they will have a great marriage. They seem to truly love eachother and have been together for quite some time. The Duchess was given the opportunity to either go forward with the responsibility of becoming a royal or not. She made her choice and thank goodness she has William to guide her as well as some of the other family members. She has a better chance that the marriage will last and they will be happy. She seems strong and capable of the job. She carries herself well and seems to be a natural, like she was born for this. I admire her alot and give her credit for taking on this most important duty. As for her cleaning and cooking, I dont know about that. I would think they would have help. I cant really see her breaking a sweat. But who knows, they are a young couple with different ideas, so maybe.:flowers:

From what I've been reading, its not overly large. A few reports have called it a 5 room cottage. Somewhere too it was mentioned who their landlord is but heck if I can remember right now. Sounds like its small, intimate and cozy. Perfect for newlyweds.

No one can predict the future but Catherine will have a much better start in THE FIRM than Diana did.

In addition to maturity and more self-confidence, Catherine will have something to help her to adjust to Royal life that Diana never did-a supportive husband. Adittionally, Catherine is no where as charismatic as Diana was so even though there will initally be a lot of media interest it will somewhat die down.

I think Catherine's bright future in the family was made possible BECAUSE of Diana...The secrets, the lies, the inability to back out a marriage disaster before the wedding, the allowances made after Diana's death...the BRF learnt something from the whole experience and has softened, opened, become slightly transparent, approachable, relaxed somewhat and realise the world is changing and they have to move forward too if they want to remain relevant...So when Catherine looks at the sapphire ring on her finger, she should thank Diana, her mother-in-law, for her experiences and her sacrifices that have all paved the way in Catherine's journey...

The media is so hungry for pictures they want Catherine out there practically the second day after her wedding lol. I'm glad they're doing it the right way. I don't think anyone should expect them to go out there immediately. They have to set things up, research, plan, and life their lives.

I don't know if this was done but I remember hearing something where a list of women were drawn up who would be acceptable, suitable or fit the requirements for marriage and then heir to the throne would pick one of them. In the old days, this more or less was how the heir chose his bride. Sometimes he found a good match, others times who he had to pick from wasn't exactly to his liking. You saw examples of this throughout history (didn't always involve the heir to the throne).

William and Catherine came together without others meddling or others trying to influence him. (which was probably a first for a future British heir to the throne). No one tried to play matchmaker or push them together or pressure him to marry her. Because of this, it is more likely that they will have a good marriage and less likely to divorce. I believe they truely love each other (you could tell by how they interacted with each other). It would be very difficult to fake loving someone.

I can't wait to see their future babies :)
Yes I agree, they seem to really love each other, I believe they will last together forever!

I think that is why they may remind some of us of George V! and Queen Elizabeth. As a second son never intended for the throne, Bertie was allowed to fall in love with Elizabeth and marry her. I would think that never would have been allowed had he been heir to the throne. So there we have a real love match, like the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Though according to all reports the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh were also a love match, though as a Prince of Greece, he was eligible anyway. And those are the two marriages that famously lasted, though sadly the Queen's parents were not married as long due to George VI's early death. The Duke and Duchess of York were a love match too, (I believe), but it seems the media frenzy and pressures of being royal were too much for Sarah. Andrew certainly has continued to treat her well, and seems to still care for her all these years later.

Anyway, I agree that after the disasters of the marriages in their parents' era, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have done all they could to give themselves the best chance of a long and happy marriage. All best wishes to them for a long and happy life together.

^The late Queen Mother actually turned down two marriage proposals from George VI before finally accepting his third one, so it looks like she had enough time to seriously consider whether or not she could accept the lifestyle that came with marrying into the royal family.

And Prince Philip wasn't automatically acceptable even if he was of royal birth. The Queen Mother reportedly did not like him at first and would try to push her daughter towards British aristocrats in the hopes that she would find someone else. A lot of courtiers also did not seem to like Philip and treated him as an outsider. There's the story of a courtier who started to give Philip a history of Windsor castle before Philip cut him off to point out that his mother had been born there in the presence of Queen Victoria.

Also, Elizabeth and Philip were separated for much of WWII, and then George VI insisted on having Elizabeth accompany the family on a visit to South Africa to give the couple some time apart before announcing their engagement. This gave them both plenty of time to really thing about what they were getting into before the marriage.

William seems to have done the same thing by giving Catherine plenty of time to walk away before making that final commitment.

FWIW, I've read that King George V and Queen Mary made a decision to allow their children to marry into the nobility,i.e, people who are peers or the children of peers so that would not have been a stumbling block had the then-Prince of Wales want to marry an earl's daughter, for example.

FWIW, I've read that King George V and Queen Mary made a decision to allow their children to marry into the nobility,i.e, people who are peers or the children of peers so that would not have been a stumbling block had the then-Prince of Wales want to marry an earl's daughter, for example.
Yes,indeed.It was revolutionary and something new for those times.But one of Queen Victoria's daughters was married to a peer though.By the way,only one son of George V's married a princess in her own right.For those times it was unbelievable that one day they could marry a commoner

Queen Victoria's daughter, Princess Louise, married an aristocrat who was in line to become Duke of Argyll. It was pretty controversial at the time and even the Prince of Wales objected. But Victoria could see at this point that the British people would not have accepted another German prince and she wanted to introduce new blood into the family.

From what I've been reading, its not overly large. A few reports have called it a 5 room cottage. Somewhere too it was mentioned who their landlord is but heck if I can remember right now. Sounds like its small, intimate and cozy. Perfect for newlyweds.

Yes, they say it is small ( for their standards) the landlord had something to do with Henry VIII I remember reading Ill have to find it...

Didn't know where to put this but I agree with part of this but on one point it kinda depresses me that William could be in his 60's when he ascends to throne. I just can't imagine them in their 60's. And I wonder if the public will still care or will they have "moved on" to his children by then if the monarchy still exists
The Royal Wedding: How William and Kate lit the touch paper for the new era of the monarchy - Telegraph

another article:
Kate Middleton can forget private life, says Sir Jackie Stewart - Telegraph

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom