Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family: Married Life

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have to agree..imo its to much attention on the everyday routine

It bothers me that the press haven't seem to have learned from Diana. Perhaps they could have the decency to leave Catherine alone during her and William's time in Wales. The constant suggestion at she is pregnant (with twins no less!) or that she is a fashion icon or that her shopping is major news must be having a toll on her. I realize that Catherine was 29 when she married and not 20 as her mother-in-law but anyone's sanity will be messed with when so much attention is paid to their every movement. It's just sad that the press only gave William and Harry peace right after their mother's death but don't seem to feel they need to prevent another Diana (which was caused by the press). Yes she knew what she was getting into but I still feel sorry for her...

I agree. It would be sad that if history repeated itself.

......... It's just sad that the press only gave William and Harry peace right after their mother's death but don't seem to feel they need to prevent another Diana (which was caused by the press). Yes she knew what she was getting into but I still feel sorry for her...

Sorry to be pedantic, but Diana's death was caused due to a speeding, gung-ho employee of Mr Fayed who had alchol problems and was intoxicated, driving in the way he did at the apparent behest of Dodi Fayed, who did not know the first elements of how to stage a private, discreet departure from an hotel. I am a passionate believer that Catherine is entitled to her privacy and I fully agree that the press should not harass her. Sadly, though, the Press usually only 'give the public what it wants' when it comes to royal strories, so it is really down to each and every one of us as well - if we feel the press is being intrusive, then we shouldn't buy the papers.

re Diana and the press: what a strange relationship this was! There is a more proper thread for this I am sure, but let me just relay my own experience of Diana and the Press. In the early days I was behind the pony lines at Cowdray Park Polo Club, where Diana was watching Prince Charles play polo. This was a private occasion. The press were there with their usual long lenses, but were of course not permitted to be where I was. At that point, a royal aide or detective [I am not sure which, because detectives wear 'country clothes' at polo matches in order to blend in] actually approached Diana, who was standing two feet from me. The gentleman pointed out to Diana that the Photographers were snapping away, and that she should therefore immediately step back out of the line of their sight, where the lenses would not reach. And what did Diana do? To my shock and astonishment, she ran her fingers through her hair and did exactly the opposite - stepped right forward, giving the photographers a totally unobstucted view. I saw this with my own eyes. And I have to say that the resulting pictures were beautiful. I am the first person to say that the press behaved appallingly badly throughout Diana's public life, but she herself must bear some of the blame for the way that, throughout her life, she blantantly encouraged their interest when it suited her own agenda.

Catherine deserves her privacy, to which she is fully entitled. I passionately hope they will leave her alone, grant her the right to live a private life when she is not on royal duties and not invade her privacy. And, by the same token, equally passionately, I hope that Catherine never, ever, ever, starts to play the game with the press that her late mother-in-law did.

Just my thoughts and not meant to offend

Alex

Last edited:
Diarist said:
Sorry to be pedantic, but Diana's death was caused due to a speeding, gung-ho employee of Mr Fayed who had alchol problems and was intoxicated, driving in the way he did at the apparent behest of Dodi Fayed, who did not know the first elements of how to stage a private, discreet departure from an hotel. I am a passionate believer that Catherine is entitled to her privacy and I fully agree that the press should not harass her. Sadly, though, the Press usually only 'give the public what it wants' when it comes to royal strories, so it is really down to each and every one of us as well - if we feel the press is being intrusive, then we shouldn't buy the papers.

re Diana and the press: what a strange relationship this was! There is a more proper thread for this I am sure, but let me just relay my own experience of Diana and the Press. In the early days I was behind the pony lines at Cowdray Park Polo Club, where Diana was watching Prince Charles play polo. This was a private occasion. The press were there with their usual long lenses, but were of course not permitted to be where I was. At that point, a royal aide or detective actually approached Diana, who was standing two feet from me. The gentleman pointed out to Diana that the Photographers were snapping away, and that she should therefore immediately step back out of the line of their sight, where the lenses would not reach. And what did Diana do? To my shock and astonishment, she ran her fingers through her hair and did exactly the opposite - stepped right forward, giving the photographers a totally unobstucted view. I saw this with my own eyes. And I have to say that the resulting pictures were beautiful. I am the first person to say that the press behaved appallingly badly throughout Diana's public life, but she herself must bear some of the blame for the way that, throughout her life, she blantantly encouraged their interest when it suited her own agenda.

Catherine deserves her privacy, to which she is fully entitled. I passionately hope they will leave her alone, grant her the right to live a private life when she is not on royal duties and not invade her privacy. And, by the same token, equally passionately, I hope that Catherine never, ever, ever, starts to play the game with the press that her late mother-in-law did.

Just my thoughts and not meant to offend

Alex

I'm not talking about Diana's death as I agree with you as to the reasons for that. I meant that Diana had the urge to get away from Britain because of the attention she got. Its the reason why she wanted to move to the US and never did, because she knew the press was just as bad there. Yes she used the press for her benefit against Charles. Absolutely, there's no question of that.
But do you really think she would have realized the power of the media and what attention can bring about if she wasn't followed to death herself? Diana liked attention but there is a line that can be crossed for everyone and the press did cross Diana's line (her boys).
What I said is that the press should ease up while Catherine and William are living in Wales which IMO was chosen not just because it has the SAR base William works on but also because it's isolated. There are other bases he could have done the same work on. If there was no story of Catherine for at least a fortnight do you really think there would be an outcry for the press to hunt her down and provide more? No there wouldn't be because people assume the public wants something that the press provides but the press do take pictures and write stories regardless.
Who in their right mind would want to see the pictures of Diana dying (except extreme weirdos, but if the press is writing for them, then we're really in trouble as a society) and YET they still took the pictures.
I know the press wont stop writing about Catherine but they can let up once in a while. :flowers:

I'm not talking about Diana's death as I agree with you as to the reasons for that. I meant that Diana had the urge to get away from Britain because of the attention she got. Its the reason why she wanted to move to the US and never did, because she knew the press was just as bad there. Yes she used the press for her benefit against Charles. Absolutely, there's no question of that.
But do you really think she would have realized the power of the media and what attention can bring about if she wasn't followed to death herself? Diana liked attention but there is a line that can be crossed for everyone and the press did cross Diana's line (her boys).
What I said is that the press should ease up while Catherine and William are living in Wales which IMO was chosen not just because it has the SAR base William works on but also because it's isolated. There are other bases he could have done the same work on. If there was no story of Catherine for at least a fortnight do you really think there would be an outcry for the press to hunt her down and provide more? No there wouldn't be because people assume the public wants something that the press provides but the press do take pictures and write stories regardless.
Who in their right mind would want to see the pictures of Diana dying (except extreme weirdos, but if the press is writing for them, then we're really in trouble as a society) and YET they still took the pictures.
I know the press wont stop writing about Catherine but they can let up once in a while. :flowers:

One thing I have come to realize is that both William and Kate are very well aware of the press and its need to "get the story out" and that they are prime hot targets that are big sellers. I think the press also are very aware too of William's distrust of the press and are not going to blatantly cross the line when it comes to this couple. When W&K are out and about, they expect to be photographed and will do so smilingly as we've seen with Kate shopping and the other little tidbits we've seen. The press also knows to leave them alone when they're in "private" mode.

Perhaps this is the main reason we're seeing so much focus on Pippa as hot news. The press knows better than to hound W&K and Pippa is a close as they're gonna get for a while. I don't recall it ever happening that a relative of someone that has married into the BRF becoming a hot news item as Pippa has done. If the press was still in the hounding mode as it was after Diana and Fergie married into the BRF, Pippa would have faded into the background quietly after the wedding quickly I think.

Let's get back on topic.

There's an article in I think Grazia magazine this week saying that Catherine is lonely and has asked Pippa to come and live with her. I am writing this hear because it's about Catherine being possibly bored in her married life.

Grazia Latest Issue: What's in this Week's Grazia?

However it does say in the by lines if you like

Apparently Kate Middleton gets so bored on her own with only her needlepoint for company while her heroic husband is off on dangerous search and rescue missions in his helicopter that she has decided to take the sensible decision and move Pippa into the palace!

They don't live in the Palace currently, unless they're talking about KP.

Last edited:
Has Kate been seen lately? I haven't seen anything for ages.

Weren't the shopping photos just last week? Hope Kate isn't too unhappy.

She was seen shopping in hungsford I believe.

My thoughts, exactly, Lumutqueen. What palace? Unless Kate does wants Pippa to move into their premises at KP or the farmhouse w/the couple if the estate is large enough to accommodate her. But Wales may not be to Pippa's taste if she's a city girl. Who knows if the article is even true.

Anyway, there are some nice photos of Kate shopping in Hungerford in the DoC's Daytime Fashion thread, part 4.

Last edited:
Well, that Twitter statement is just a teaser, in my mind. Would love some more details.... :sad:

That Twitter post is nothing but an "look at me" post. Who knows if she saw them, who cares!

It is yet another way of using Kate's name to get hits and using filthy language to shock. Pathetic!

I have always felt that William and Kate were actually quite boring as a couple. Boring is sometimes a good thing, and perhaps one of the ways for the media to stop obsessing over them (her in particular) is to continue to be boring.
As for turning her into another Diana, I believe the media are soulless bastards when it comes to that, they won't care if they ruin Kate like they ruined Diana as long as they get the story. I believe the person who is best suited to prevent another Diana situation is Kate and William themselves.

Last edited:
yup

That Twitter post is nothing but an "look at me" post. Who knows if she saw them, who cares!

It is yet another way of using Kate's name to get hits and using filthy language to shock. Pathetic!

i didnt get far in my reading of her post...the f-bomb ruin it for me

I have always felt that William and Kate were actually quite boring as a couple. Boring is sometimes a good thing, and perhaps one of the ways for the media to stop obsessing over them (her in particular) is to continue to be boring.
As for turning her into another Diana, I believe the media are soulless bastards when it comes to that, they won't care if they ruin Kate like they ruined Diana as long as they get the story. I believe the person who is best suited to prevent another Diana situation is Kate and William themselves.

I agree; I feel the couple would do well to duck their heads and keep below the radar by actually behaving normally and not inciting the press by flamboyant behavior. I don't think either of them is capable of the latter; they're just too level-headed and mature. Also, history speaks for itself and William knows better than to want any repeat of that with Kate. Nor would I believe she'd crave that for herself.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this post belongs here or in the Duch of Cam current events so, mods, please feel free to move if needed:

So now that William will be deployed to the Falklands in January for 6 weeks, how will Kate occupy her time? Will she do some solo low-key public engagements, start getting involved in her charities, or keep under the radar until he comes home?

Last edited:
I think her keeping under the radar would be a huge mistake, William is seen off "fighting for his country" and his wife's just at home. I think this will be the time her "secret" charity talks and conversations will turn into actual work. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, most likely Kate would give the impression that she's plonked in front of the telly and eating chips if she doesn't make appearances, so I think it's logical that when it's announced what charities she's sponsoring, she'll be actively engaged with that.

Yes, most likely Kate would give the impression that she's plonked in front of the telly and eating chips if she doesn't make appearances, so I think it's logical that when it's announced what charities she's sponsoring, she'll be actively engaged with that.

As she has filled in for Charles recently and has been out to the opera with him, it very well could be that he's taking her under his wing and will be advising on just what to do while William is away.

I don't think Kate could get a better adviser, other than the Queen, than Charles and I'm sure he'll keep her time occupied. I wonder if it's a logical move for her to stay in London, rather than Wales, especially if she might be concentrating on her charities then. I'd think it would be a lonely 6 weeks in Wales, anyway, unless she has family with her.

Last edited:
As she has filled in for Charles recently and has been out to the opera with him, it very well could be that he's taking her under his wing and will be advising on just what to do while William is away.

I find that interesting, one engagement and the announcement they've been to the opera and it appears Catherine is the apple of Charles' eye. This is a general point osipi, nothing aimed at you m'dear. ;)

I don't think Kate could get a better adviser, other than the Queen, than Charles and I'm sure he'll keep her time occupied. I wonder if it's a logical move for her to stay in London, rather than Wales, especially if she might be concentrating on her charities then. I'd think it would be a lonely 6 weeks in Wales, anyway, unless she has family with her.

With her family involved in their own business based presumably in London, I don't see Catherine having any family with her in Wales. I have just thought however, is it that far fetched to see Catherine go with William to the Falklands and be the true army wife. I do not know if any of the statements have said anything to the contrary and it would certainly look badly on her from the wrong people but it's possible. :)

... I have just thought however, is it that far fetched to see Catherine go with William to the Falklands and be the true army wife. I do not know if any of the statements have said anything to the contrary ...
IIRC the MOD announced that the time frame (6 weeks-2months) was too small for any partners to accompany the officers and soldiers. So I imagine Kate wanted to go and William as well but it was vetoed.

Other posters may correct me if I have that wrong :flowers:

I find that interesting, one engagement and the announcement they've been to the opera and it appears Catherine is the apple of Charles' eye. This is a general point osipi, nothing aimed at you m'dear. ;)

I've just really gotten the impression that Charles and Kate have gotten along quite well and I do think Charles and William are close. Another example is on how well Kate and Charles worked together with plans for the wedding such as trees, flowers, music etc. I keep reminding myself too that they've known each other for quite a bit of time and its very possible that these two do have quite a bit in common. Charles certainly would be the perfect mentor for Kate I think.

With her family involved in their own business based presumably in London, I don't see Catherine having any family with her in Wales. I have just thought however, is it that far fetched to see Catherine go with William to the Falklands and be the true army wife. I do not know if any of the statements have said anything to the contrary and it would certainly look badly on her from the wrong people but it's possible.

From the little I've read about where William is to be stationed (nicknamed the Dark Star), it never occurred to me that Kate might possibly go also. As its only a 6 week stint, I would think its very unlikely though. My guess is that Kate will stay at their London place and find things to do around town while William is gone.

It would look very bad if they used their privilege to make it possible for Kate to go along when that's not allowed for all of the other army spouses. I believe it's been stated that this is the case- that it's a short deployment and no partners will be allowed to go along.

I would wager that she'll go stay at their London home while he's gone so she can be near her family and friends, and she'll do a low key solo engagement or two or perhaps one alongside the Prince of Wales or the Duchess of Cornwall.

I think you're right about Her Majesty being a great advisor for her, followed by the Prince of Wales. Catherine is liked by her in-laws, so most likely, they'll make sure she's looked after, and given things to do, if it should come to that. It would be lonely in Wales, but she can always get involved with things on the base; maybe help other families make care packages and what not. I'm sure we'll see as things get closer.

It would look very bad if they used their privilege to make it possible for Kate to go along when that's not allowed for all of the other army spouses.
It would look very bad, but I bet looking bad wouldn't stop them if she wanted to go. :flowers:

In the military here in the states if a soldier/military man is 'deployed' for an extended training session where it's not considered a danger for the family to move, the family can choose to move of their own accord. The military won't pay for it, and the military won't make the changes to the pay of the service member to reflect a change in location.

In other words if the soldier is moved to Texas for less than 6 months of training and the wife wishes to join him, it's on their own dime. The military could care less if the family is there (if it's safe), so long as the service member is able to continue doing their job.

Perhaps this is the case with the UK forces?

Please note that off topic posts about Charles and Diana have been deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom