Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family: Married Life

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a bit more info on their lifestyle if anyone wants to take a read.

Down-to-earth Duchess goes shopping | Adelaide Now

While it is interesting, doing her grocery shopping, i.e. "being down to earth" is no news, why should it be? 250 years ago, one of Empress Maria Theresa's daughters already did her own shopping at the local market, and she was born royal - and extremely haughty - at that.

I do like Kate Middleton as Prince William's wife but I don't think people should make a fuss over absolutely nothing.

Last edited:
poor thing....... i think she'll be followed just like her late mother n law

semisquare said:
poor thing....... i think she'll be followed just like her late mother n law

Considering nearly every royal is followed, it's not surprising.

Catherine the Duchess of Cambridge does not need a Lady-in-Waiting?

:cool::cool::bang:I read an article yesterday if it true that Catherine Duchess of Cambridge does not want a Lady-in-waiting when she visits Canada. This is very stupid she cannot do certain things by herself while cost has to be kept at a minimal it is appropriate that certain royal customs be kept. I hope that she and Prince William do not try to override customs that are important to their duties. "If we swim against the tide we will drown". Go along with the flow when it is required. "Prevention is better than cure"

They'll have other staff travelling with them who can do the Lady-in-Waiting's duties, though. I'm sure that there'll be an equerry and a private secretary. And if Kate finds it too much, she can have a Lady-in-Waiting in the future. I don't see this as being the end of the royal world. There'll still be the jewels and the formal dinners and the palaces and the patronages.

I hope that she and Prince William do not try to override customs that are important to their duties. "If we swim against the tide we will drown". Go along with the flow when it is required. "Prevention is better than cure"

Yea but the other royals don't get as much as attention as the BRF. Especially here in the US. I don't remember as much hype on Victoria & Daniel's wedding like William & Catherine's.

All depends upon where you live.

There is a bond between the British and Americans

I would presume to say that the reason why the Americans are interested in the British Royal family than any other royals around the world, is the United States of America was once a British colony although centuries have past. The bond still exists.

In the 1800 and early 1900, the wealthy families in the United States seeked husbands for their daughter (in england) especially those with titles like Duke, Earl and Baron. ( eventhough the titled suiters were pennyless) marrying their daughters to an Englishman (was a Feather in ones Cap")

After the Pilgrims set foot in this country and later years there was war between American and England that navel - string was never cut. The first and second world wars proved their love for each other (the greatest Allies). King George 111 lost America to George Washington but we the former colonist are still interested in merry old England and its royals.

This is of no import at all, except the clarification about PoW's Man of the Toothpaste.

BritishRoyals said:
Take note: William & Kate NEVER said anything about staff. They don't talk. Neither did the palace. So to say that "they made a big deal out of this" is definitely false and unfair

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2011/jun/14/corrections-clarifications

They didn't but their press secretary did per his quote. Just saying i didn't pull the idea out of thin air .....

Yes, it's about the Wales house and not London but my point is as their press rep he did say about the help which is the same as them making the statement- just wanted to clarify my earlier point that someone did talk about it officially.

Last edited:
If they were talking about their Wales home than why would anyone assume it meant the same things for their London home?

Especially when everyone believe they would still be living with Charles, Camilla and would be bunking with Harry. Clarence House is full staff, so they were never going to be without staff in London.

I haven't read through every thread on this site to see if this has been discussed, but I had a thought earlier tonight. I remember that George V and Queen Mary had a cute habit with pillows ("May George?" "George May!") And I thought, perhaps we as a board should send Kate and Will some pillows as a wedding present! "Will Kate? Kate Will!" It's brilliant!

I haven't read through every thread on this site to see if this has been discussed, but I had a thought earlier tonight. I remember that George V and Queen Mary had a cute habit with pillows ("May George?" "George May!") And I thought, perhaps we as a board should send Kate and Will some pillows as a wedding present! "Will Kate? Kate Will!" It's brilliant!

:D:D:D I love it! That is so cute!

Last edited:
The press sure do like to take the discussion to another level just to make a story out of it.

Very stupid discussion from the press!!!
Millions of average couples have a help at home, it is not the most luxurious act in the world!!! Why the future King of England and his rich wife should have not! :bang:

I understand that the last years the trend is to "democratize" royalty but they are not obliged to pretend to live worst that the poors!

What baffles me is that people don't see that Kate is not a "rich wife". Her parents have made a good financial nest egg over the years which Kate probably does stand to inherit from but that doesn't mean she has unlimited access to those funds. Same with William. He's inherited from his mother and most likely a trust fund maybe from his great grandmother (we really don't know what William's state of financial affairs are do we?) To assume that they can snap their fingers and buy what the heart desires is probably not the case.

I've said it before and I'll state it again that I really think that when they are at home on Anglesy, they live off William's pay as a SAR pilot. One reason that some folks do have a healthy bank account is because they learn to live within a budget. Having help where it is needed is not a luxury... its a necessity.

Very clever

What baffles me is that people don't see that Kate is not a "rich wife". Her parents have made a good financial nest egg over the years which Kate probably does stand to inherit from but that doesn't mean she has unlimited access to those funds. Same with William. He's inherited from his mother and most likely a trust fund maybe from his great grandmother (we really don't know what William's state of financial affairs are do we?)

You are right. Of course they do not have unlimited acces to the family funds. On the other side, when you see Catherine's life for the last years (clothing, travels, social presence) you can understand that she was not living strictly on her part time or full time job salary! She has some income from her family and William from his mother, not extremely high maybe, but high enough to allow them to pay a housekeeper for some hours per week!

Corrections and clarifications | From the Guardian | The Guardian

They didn't but their press secretary did per his quote. Just saying i didn't pull the idea out of thin air .....

Yes, it's about the Wales house and not London but my point is as their press rep he did say about the help which is the same as them making the statement- just wanted to clarify my earlier point that someone did talk about it officially.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge scrap plans to employ housekeeper at Kensington Palace home - Telegraph

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge scrap plans to employ housekeeper at Kensington Palace home

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have scrapped plans to recruit a servant to work in their new London base at Kensington Palace, it has emerged.

i believe that william inherited a substantial amount from his mother and could, if he wished, afford to live far better than he does. having a small staff is far more realistic for them...they need someone to manage their public lives and if they have a small staff for the KP apartment maybe it's not full time but only when they know that the duke and duchess will be spending time there. just some thoughts.

i believe that william inherited a substantial amount from his mother and could, if he wished, afford to live far better than he does. having a small staff is far more realistic for them...they need someone to manage their public lives and if they have a small staff for the KP apartment maybe it's not full time but only when they know that the duke and duchess will be spending time there. just some thoughts.

Correct. As much as I know, Diana got 40 Million Euros from the divorce from Charles (apart from the jewels and other stuff she received as personal gifts). I heard, that most went to Harry, as he will not become king one day. OK, nevertheless Wills still have some money and he definately is NOT POOR!!!

Apart from that: there is a "private life" they have in Anglesey (which very well can be paid by Williams salary and you do not need much more than cooking and cleaning :whistling:.

And: they have a "public Life" in London -- as we have seen last week: One Public Duty after the other. So this is a completely different life here, where they definately need some help. And although I love and agree, that Catherine has an excellent dressing taste, you still can make many mistakes with the dress code for example.

Additionally: what is happening with the organisation of all their charities, letters to be answered, thousands of wedding wishes etc.... here this will need more than just Kates hands to organise, answer, write etc.... so in this case they need help as well.

So there is a difference between not getting help in Angelsey and getting help in London.

BYe Bine

So if she's not a 'rich wife' who paid for her $2,000 dress (or more) she wore ? Or her McQueen coat? Or her several pairs of. $300+ shoes? C'mon guys let's be realistic, no matter what they live off of (and I'm not convinced it's his salary) they are rich- at least by my standards. I don't care where the money comes from, makes no difference to me but I think it's very unrealistic to deny that William and Kate are rich.....maybe not uber rich by Royal standards like the Queen or Charles but still rich......but rich in this case doesn't equal pretentious IMO

Based on the new statements that the Duke and Duchess do not was a 'servent' in London bc they're mainly in Wales they want to be normal....and they do not feel they need help in either home.....I'm sure as their duties grow they'll have to get some ....but I respect they are not doing so if it's not necessary to them yet

Edit- on another note- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-William-entourage-just-7-US-Canada-tour.html

Last edited:
I think that this no dresser is something that Kate may regret these tours are horrible and they do take there toll no matter how young or experienced William is probably used to them but she will not be and it is IMO a huge risk. It is on thing to save money another to be so totally OTT that you put yourself at risk. Yes embassies willl probably help but ..... there staff are always at a minumin anyway and though thye would not doubt provide ... having that backup is a huge emotional as well mental support I believe she is foolish but that is only in my experience and time I guess will tell. IMO

Oh I'm sure they'll manage without someone to lay out a dress and suit on the bed. I went on a two week tour of New England and Canada last year and had to get off the ship EVERY day to visit the various stop-off ports, visit museums, gardens, shops and various landmarks, plus find somewhere to eat each time AND get changed for dinner each evening and not forgetting having to wave everytime we entered and left port - I managed perfectly well to sort out my wardrobe with no trouble at all. Provided Catherine (and for that matter William) take plenty of clothes and back-ups and they're put in the wardrobes in proper order, it'll be a breeze!

So if she's not a 'rich wife' who paid for her $2,000 dress (or more) she wore ? Or her McQueen coat? Or her several pairs of. $300+ shoes? C'mon guys let's be realistic, no matter what they live off of (and I'm not convinced it's his salary) they are rich- at least by my standards. I don't care where the money comes from, makes no difference to me but I think it's very unrealistic to deny that William and Kate are rich.....maybe not uber rich by Royal standards like the Queen or Charles but still rich......but rich in this case doesn't equal pretentious IMO

Based on the new statements that the Duke and Duchess do not was a 'servent' in London bc they're mainly in Wales they want to be normal....and they do not feel they need help in either home.....I'm sure as their duties grow they'll have to get some ....but I respect they are not doing so if it's not necessary to them yet

Edit- on another note- Kate Middleton and Prince William take entourage of just 7 on US and Canada tour | Mail Online

william and catherine are definitely rich...i don't dispute that but i think they try to live as modestly as they can given their role and who they are. i think if they wanted to they could live in a big beautiful house with lots of staff and drive expensive cars but they don't. they choose to live a life much more modest than their friends. as for her wedding dress, i believe it was her parents that paid for it and she probably received an allowance from them prior to her marriage...obviously she had income from somewhere to be able to have the lifestyle she had.

I believe that Catherine is quite capable of dressing herself. She didnt have a dresser before she married. As for not having servants, I think its good that they stay as grounded as possible. Of course Im sure they will have a house full of staff at some point but I admire the fact that they would prefer to have a somewhat "normal" lifestyle. I would only hope that in the future they will be able to continue a somewhat more modern lifestyle than what is expected. I think Catherine has a good head on her shoulders and would never do anything that would embarrass the firm. She knows the protocol and she knows what is expected of her. I have complete faith that she can hold her own.:flowers:

I guess I'm a black sheep in this group, as Katherine definitely needs a dresser, if nothing else. She has looked very nice on her recent outings, but I am sure she had someone to help her. Her polish could use some coaxing.

The Cambridges are new enough for most people not to care about how they're turned out, but I sure wouldn't like for Kate to think that the outfit she wore the day after the wedding was OK for a public appearance.

Money is no indicator of anything. It makes life easier, but it can't make a person stylish unless they have some style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom