Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family: Married Life

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember seeing photos of the place in Wales in an article well over a year ago before they were removed - it was white washed, medium sized and no garden @ the time to speak of - sort of a boring white box, IMO.

I remember seeing photos of the place in Wales in an article well over a year ago before they were removed - it was white washed, medium sized and no garden @ the time to speak of - sort of a boring white box, IMO.

Ah-Ha! I have come across a blog that has what appears to be good information: LINK To the Royal Post. There is a picture of a cottage that the blogger says their cottage might look like and here is some of the text -

The rent is reportedly 750GBP per month.

Fabulously inexpensive if the picture is any where near what they actually have.

The Telegraph reports that the cottage has ‘views of Snowdonia and access to a private beach.’ The Daily Mail has described the cottage as a ‘whitewashed farmhouse’.

These pictures below are from Zimbio and suggest what the farmhouse might look like. Understandably, the actual house and grounds are under strict security so the media is barred from reporting even how many bedrooms Prince William’s cottage has.

Though if security is that tight there would be a bit of disinformation put out - I know that's what they do with the US President, going so far as to mis-identify towns, etc.. The whitewashed description may be just that and the original picture may be the one. I guess we will never know until they move away.

IMHO there is a good chance that this pic shows William's and Catherine's cottage - it fits all descrptions I could find.

"It's called the Garden Cottage and this is what I found in a description of the estate:
On the shore next to the slipway is a nineteenth-century building, Garden Cottage, which served as
the head gardener’s house. It is single-storey, the garden side whitewashed, the
seaward side faced with pebbles. The garden wall on the sea side has four gun
emplacements, said to date from the Napoleonic wars. "

Panoramio - Photo of Estate

- It's on the Bodorgan estate with views of Snowdonia and the sea
- It has direct access to a private beach
- it is surrounded by woods (one local said it makes no sense trying to hike close to the house because the wood is filled with security staff)
- it is close to the main house, Bodorgan Hall
- it is inside a private park, so no passers-by (otherwise we would have seen pics all along)
- compared to the other house for rent on the estate it seems to be of similar size, so probably similar rent.
- the beach where Catherine was photographed with Pippa is just on the other side of the river estuary.

But of course we will only ever know for sure once they moved on.

Last edited:
What difference does it make if they have help or not or how big the cottage is? I don't know why people are so focused on this?

LaRae

Are we really going to start this again, seriously?

Last edited by a moderator:
It was said that in Wales they employ a young girl form the next village as a helper for Catherine when it comes to cleaning. But that was before she began to do much more engagements than originally planned.

But IMHO it is a big difference between having help with cleaning and maybe the garden or having "staff". In any case William and Catherine can afford to pay for help and Wales is a place where jobs are needed, especially those with next to no qualification, so IMHO it's a good thing if they add the pay for a job or two to the local economy.

You all do realise that Clarence House have had an agreement in place with the media NOT to reveal exactly where the house is and what it looks like? This was done for security reasons and for privacy reasons. So far the media have lived up to that agreement, it would appear that posters here don't have similar good manners.

On William's work patterns, I'll quote Penny Junor's recent biography on William:

At Valley he works on a shift system. He is part of a team of four, doing eight twenty-four-hour watches a month, and when on duty they live on base next to their helicopters. During the daytime they can be in the air in fifteen minutes, at night-time it's forty-five minutes, and when the scramble bell goes they have no idea what lies ahead of them or where they are headed. It could be anywhere in the UK or beyond, it could be miles out into the Atlantic, it could be to rescue a stricken tanker or a capsized yacht, a walker who is lost and has fallen and broken a limb in the mountains, a heart-attack victim, a fire on an oil rig, or a community that has been cut off by floods and needs evacuating. As William has said, it's the 'fourth emergency service'.

'It doesn't sound very many shifts,' says one of the team, 'but it's very stressful because it's foul weather and you have to work out in double quick time how you're going to get there, how you're going to make your fuel last, how long you can stay over the target area, how many people you can carry, how many you have to rescue, what you strip out etc. They tend to group them in three watches, so three lots of three, or two of three, and that will be twenty-four hours on, twenty-four hours off, so it lasts for a short week, then a gap for three or four days to have a rest, concentrate on your other work, do your helicopter training - training flights continue where you practise with the mountain rescue teams - and then you go back on watch for three days.'

Penny Junor, 'Prince William Born to be King', Page 318-319

She also has this to say about Anglesey:

It is six to seven hours from London and outstandingly beautiful. He has been renting a very modest cottage off the base, hidden away in the countryside which is completely private. He lived there on his own initially and, doing all his own shopping and cooking, apart from a cleaner coming in to tidy up, was looking after himself. Friends came to stay and Kate was a frequent visitor and, since their marriage, it has been their principal home.

Page 321.

From what I've read elsewhere, this appear to still be the case. We've seen pictures of these two buying frozen pizzas for their dinner, and of Kate doing the groceries herself. If they had a team of domestic staff I very much doubt they'd be buying their own frozen dinners. But ultimately, Kate and William have never spoken about their lifestyle on Anglesey. They get accused of 'claiming their life is normal', when they've done nothing of the sort. I would guess that the 'cottage' is modest by royal standards, but a fairly average sized house to the rest of us.

I agree, I think it is a reasonable cottage, comfortable, but not lavish by any standards. It may have up to 5 bedrooms as has been reported, but I suspect some of them might be quite small, as is often the case with homes in the UK.

As to staff, like a lot of people in the UK, I suspect they have cleaners and gardeners coming in on a regular basis ( 2-3 times a week), but probably little else.

For all intents and purposes, this is a relatively simple life for them, quite like what the Middletons might enjoy. It is simple compared to life at BP or CH, but much better off than a lot of people.

You all do realise that Clarence House have had an agreement in place with the media NOT to reveal exactly where the house is and what it looks like? This was done for security reasons and for privacy reasons. So far the media have lived up to that agreement, it would appear that posters here don't have similar good manners.

I don't see anything problematic with posting information that can be found free on the internet and to take conclusions from that. It was after all the media (telegraph and Daily Mail) who started reporting that they live on the Bodorgan Estate in the first place and gave all the additional information. I could put this together thanks to an article I retrieved from an .gov.co.uk-server and google maps. Hardly a breach of confidence, when I am just an internet user from Germany, was never in Wales and not likely to travel there in the next future.

As anyone can see who looks the place up on google maps, it is a place very easy to secure and very difficult to reach, so there is next to no chance that anybody can take pictures without being found out at once. The article from the government-server claimed that the whole estate is private, with no public right of way, that there are only few gates on the walls that surround the complete estate. When you look over Bodorgan estate on a map you'll understand that this is the perfect place for them, saver even than Highgrove or their cottage on Balmoral grounds.

So, where's the beef? A lot of people are surely quite happy to look at a pic, look at the map and that's that.

BTW: there is a former RAF airfield on the estate and it has been reported that till 2010 it was no problem to be granted access to the airfield to take some pics (by RAF-enthusiasts interested in historical sites) but that since 2010 as soon as you try to drive on estate lands and stop there, someone "out of nowhere" turns up and sends you away. My guess is that the few entrances to the estate are carefully supervised and that it is not really possible for anyone, media or private persons, to come somewhere near the cottage.

Last edited:
My point it, the powers that be clearly decided that it's best that the exact location of the house not be explicitly revealed. A lack of a right of way has never stopped a determined trouble maker before, nor has a gate or a private beach. There's no doubt that security arrangements in Anglesey, on a rented property, are going to be much more lax than they would be at any of the royal residences.

I simply feel uncomfortable with combing through google maps and government websites to try and find out exactly where their house is and what it looks like. We've all heard the stories of tourists trying to find their house, travelling around Anglesey to try and take photos of the house and its inhabitants. Not to mention the difficulties the Middletons have had with people coming onto their property. Let's just leave them alone.

This is so ridiculous. It isn't any of our business if and where they have help.

Tyger expresses an opinion - something we are all entitled to. At least, that's my understanding of an open, uncensored community.
Now, personally I happen to strongly disagree with some of the opinions she expressed; nevertheless, I respect her point of view.

Everything we write here is based on speculations - we draw our conclusions from them, whether in favour of or against royals in question.

Last edited:
:previous:
That being said, speculations and/or assertions in these threads that Prince William is misogynist, that he is gay, that he abuses his wife, etc etc, do not fall within the bounds of reasonable or acceptable discussion.

Such posts will be deleted; members are reminded that personal flights of fancy do not constitute fact or verifiable truth.

Warren
Administrator

What difference does it make if they have help or not or how big the cottage is? I don't know why people are so focused on this?
It is simply a question I posed prompted by a discussion ruminating on exactly what is Kate doing up in Wales, especially as she is there in the cottage alone for days at a time and without servants. I started to get conflicting stories about exactly how 'modest' their cottage was - and so I have posed the question: how do we know what the nature of their cottage is and that they have no servants?

So far the sources seem to go back to William on the servants question. The nature of the cottage remains muddled as far as I can see.

Zonk said:
Okay...we are going to try this again.

Please note that several (around 40 or so) posts have been deleted. They range from speculative and insulting comments about fellow TRF members as well as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

At this time, I would like to remind everyone AGAIN of the following TRF rules:

[*]Whenever possible, opinions should be based on factual information obtained from reputable sources and should be backed up by references to those sources. The moderators reserve the right to delete posts containing the more fanciful types of gossip and speculation, whether they originate in gossip magazines and websites or are simply fabricated.
[*]Insulting comments about other posters and royals are not permitted. Criticism is acceptable; insults and flames are not. We expect our members to treat each other with respect.
Any and all additional posts that disregard TRF rules will be deleted without notice. Any questions, should be directed to members of the TRF moderation team via Private Message.

Zonk
TRF Administrator

Warren said:
:previous:
That being said, speculations and/or assertions in these threads that Prince William is misogynist, that he is gay, that he abuses his wife, etc etc, do not fall within the bounds of reasonable or acceptable discussion.

Such posts will be deleted; members are reminded that personal flights of fancy do not constitute fact or verifiable truth.

Warren
Administrator

Hello people!!!! Did anyone notice the two very strongly bolded posts this got from admins in the past few days?! Continuing to reply to utter nonsense is just going to see this thread closed, yet again, and cause more work for admins when they should be enjoying their summer holidays. I'd say we leave the topic alone, and let others cause trouble in their daydreams.

Time for everyone to relax, have a cup of tea, and get ready to settle in for the Olympics Opening Ceremony - 40 minutes and counting.

Rather than adding further to the already too many Mod/Admin interventions in this thread, I believe the following says it better and serves to re-open the thread in a more positive and optimistic manner than we've seen here of late.

William and Catherine, married life
v the thumbnail images have all been cropped from much larger photographs and are presented here in accordance with copyright 'fair use' provisions.

Attachments

• W&C 1.jpg
    W&C 1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 151
  • W&C 2.jpg
    W&C 2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 186
  • W&C 3.jpg
    W&C 3.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 198
  • W&C 4.jpg
    W&C 4.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 223
  • W&C 5.jpg
    W&C 5.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 161
I'm so happy to see those pictures posted here! It was so lovely to see them these past few days- so much love there.

I really do believe those images represent a much more accurate picture of their relationship. I think for the most part, they're just very professional, guarded individuals who protect their privacy. But when they do, you can really see a couple who's very comfortable together.

I love, love, love it!! The one with them holding eachother is fantastic. So much happiness. Thank you for posting those. :)

Love those pictures too! They are so much happy together.

I love the pictures. Thank you Warren, for posting them. Their looks and smiles say it all; they take in being with each other. I don't think I need to say anything about the last two pictures. They speak for themselves, and very loud and clear, I might add. I think this couple has the kind of happiness very few are lucky to find. It's quite obvious when one really takes the time to study their glances towards one another.

The Duchess is very beautiful when she is smiling a spontaneous and relaxed smile.

I read somewhere that the Cambridges are living in cottage on the estate of some very good friends of the royal family. So they are not renting a random house somewhere. They are supposedly fairly protected on the estate and no-one can just drive by and take a look of their cottage. The family of the estate often have William and Catherine over for dinner according to the info I read.

Did it say who the people are that they are staying with? Give names I mean. Would be interesting to know.

LadyGabrielle said:
Did it say who the people are that they are staying with? Give names I mean. Would be interesting to know.

Kataryn posted such information a few pages back, I doubt Catherine and William are friends of this Sir he's more likely a friend of Charles'.

Kataryn said:
It is known that William and Catherine have rented cottage/farmhouse on the estate of Sir George Meyrink of Bodorgan Hall.

Bodorgan estate has its own homepage where they offer houses for rent. If someone could work out how to look at this homepage in the timeframe when William rented the place (summer 2010), possibly a lot of information could be found.

As an example what to expect of a 750 ppm-rent on this estate, here is an actual offer: http://www.bodorgan.com/pdf/pensieri.pdf

As William's cottage allegedly has seaviews and access to a private beach and is not so far away from the main house, I guess the house itself should be similar to that on offer here (the additional 50 pounds for the better location). Of course, my guesses only. But I can't see what is so very luxurious about a house like that?

grevinnan said:
The Duchess is very beautiful when she is smiling a spontaneous and relaxed smile.

That is very true. Her smile lights up her entire face.

Kataryn posted such information a few pages back, I doubt Catherine and William are friends of this Sir he's more likely a friend of Charles'.

I don't think that's quite right actually. It's Katie Nicholl, which has to be borne in mind, but it's been reported that William and Kate are on very friendly terms with both Sir George and Lady Meyrick:

Just as the Cambridges insist their staff address them by their Christian names, they call Lady Meyrick simply by her first name, Jean. When they first arrived, it was she who helped them to settle in and organised the services of her cleaner. ‘Jean is easy-going and she and her husband love their time with William and Kate,’ says a family friend. ‘The Meyricks divide their time between their Hampshire pile and North Wales. When they are in Anglesey, William and Kate are always invited over for Sunday lunch.’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom