Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family: Married Life

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was interesting, but no great surprises. Basically a retrospective of their wedding, visit to Canada and the U.S. and some chitchat about their life in Anglesey. Some interviews with people that gave glimpses of behind the scenes. I actually think we disseminate more information here on the forum! :lol: The only thing that got my attention was a photo (back view only) of them at a movie ticket booth.

Last edited:
Wasn't that great, entertaining enough but not must see tv. Better than the Hallmark movie not as good as the Lifetime movie.

The 53,000 acre estate is the Balmoral estate of the Queen. Birkhall is one of the homes on the estate, that Charles took over after the death of the Queen Mother.

The 53,000 acre estate is the Balmoral estate of the Queen. Birkhall is one of the homes on the estate, that Charles took over after the death of the Queen Mother.

Well according to these links, Birkhall is 53,000 acres and Balmoral is just over 50,000 acres. Birkhall is just under 8 miles away from Balmoral.

Last edited:
So I must have missed something somewhere. Have William and Catherine moved into their apartment yet or not? I thought I read somewhere that she was seen buying things for their place?

So I must have missed something somewhere. Have William and Catherine moved into their apartment yet or not? I thought I read somewhere that she was seen buying things for their place?

If you're referring to their apartment in Kensington Palace, then the answer is 'no'. From what I understand, the place is being renovated and fixed up and should be ready by 2013, just in time for the end of William's stay with the RAF.

Oh yes, thats right. Thank you for reminding me about that.

You know the more I see William and Catherine together the more Im amazed at how wonderful they are together. They look so happy and relaxed. William seems to be more at ease in front of the media and is so watchful over his wife. Its nice to see that they really do love eachother. I think we can be sure that this marriage will last and that it will be because they love eachother and not because they had to.

You know the more I see William and Catherine together the more Im amazed at how wonderful they are together. They look so happy and relaxed. William seems to be more at ease in front of the media and is so watchful over his wife. Its nice to see that they really do love eachother. I think we can be sure that this marriage will last and that it will be because they love eachother and not because they had to.

I think you're right. I remember watching them during their engagements before the wedding, and I noticed how suddenly William became more at ease with the press. He was lighter, like a weight has been lifted off his shoulders. That vibe still continues now. I'm glad to see it. They make each other happy, and that's pretty big.

It's true! You can tell just by looking at them and the way they look at each other that they are truly in love. I think they make a great couple. I think it's great that they have been together for so long.

Yes. I think it was to their benefit to have known eachother for as long as they did. Being that they had plenty of time to get to know eachother and be friends first makes all the difference. THe fact that she was made aware of what it would be like to be a part of the BRF and having William at her side to help her made a big difference I think. She had the time to know whether she truly loved William and whether she was really ready for the responsibility of becoming the wife of an heir to the throne. It was all perfect timing and as I said before, meant to be.

Good Evening members,

I'm wondering what is HRH Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge surname now when she signs legal documents or on her driver's license ? Is it Catherine Wales, Catherine Windsor, or Catherine Mountbatten-Windsor ?

Forever Royalty,
Brent R. von Behrens II

P.S. Thanks in advance :)

Good Evening members,

I'm wondering what is HRH Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge surname now when she signs legal documents or on her driver's license ? Is it Catherine Wales, Catherine Windsor, or Catherine Mountbatten-Windsor ?

Forever Royalty,
Brent R. von Behrens II

P.S. Thanks in advance :)

Normally just Catherine as a HRH. In case more is needed she is Catherine Cambridge as the wife of a peer. First Name plus Husband's title.

Aren't they also known as Mr. and Mrs. Wales? So many surnames to choose from!

Aren't they also known as Mr. and Mrs. Wales? So many surnames to choose from!

I think William is using 'Wales' as their surname at this point to avoid his initials being 'WC' (really don't see the issue since when the first letters of their names were used for wedding china, etc., same two letters appeared). I think either one works really. I'm sure when they have children and need to enroll them into schools and such, the issue will revisited (though William was known as 'William Wales' during his school years [or at least at Eton]).

Now, I personally see nothing wrong with using 'Windsor' as a last name.

So like on Catherine's drivers license it would Catherine Cambridge or Catherine Wales ?

Well I thought that he was still a Wales even though he was given the title of Cambridge. I didnt think his last name changes to Cambridge. And I thought Catherine is Princess William of Wales. Which would make her Catherine Wales. Please explain if Im wrong.

I think your right, LadyGabrielle. Duke of Cambridge is his peerage title given to him for his marriage... when Charles is king, William will become William, Prince of Wales and also the Duke of Cornwall and Rothsay.... so it would'nt make since for him to have to change his last name like that again down the road. He is either William Wales... or Windsor. Though he works under the name Wales, so I think that is what his surname on his liscense is...

Thank you EchoLynn. That means Catherine is Catherine Wales. I kinda thought it was that.

I think your right, LadyGabrielle. Duke of Cambridge is his peerage title given to him for his marriage... when Charles is king, William will become William, Prince of Wales and also the Duke of Cornwall and Rothsay.... so it would'nt make since for him to have to change his last name like that again down the road. He is either William Wales... or Windsor. Though he works under the name Wales, so I think that is what his surname on his liscense is...

Peers don't use their family name and they don't use a minor title. Compared to "Duke of Cambridge" "Prince William of Wales" is the minor title. There are cases when a peer who has been known by his courtesy title as his father's heir inherits the title, he sticks to the former name, but this is rare. Michael Ancram comes to mind: family name Kerr, courtesy title Earl of Ancram as the heir to the Marquess of Lothian. As an active politician in the commons he used "Michael Ancram" as his name. Even after he inherited his family's marquessate. On changing to the Lords, he used Michael Lothian as his name. He never uses Kerr!

So when William became The Duke of Cambridge, his name changed from Wiiliam Wales to Wiiliam Cambridge but he decided to stick to the former name. While Catherine married the Duke, became his duchess and is now Catherine Cambridge.

Think Viscount Severn and Lady Louise: family name is Mountbatten-Windsor. Thus Louise uses it as the daughter of an earl. But James Viscount Severn is "James Severn", his mother, the countess of Wessex is "Sophie Wessex".

Im soooooo sorry but am i the only one thats MORE CONFUSED NOW ??? lol All I wanted to know was what does HRH Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge use when signing legal things (ie contracts or drivers license) Catherine Wales or Catherine Cambridge ? OMGGG I am soooooo confused right now LMAO

Could even be Catherine Windsor or Catherine Mountbatten-Windsor. I'm inclined to go with Catherine Wales though as that's the 'surname' William uses.

OMGGGGGGGGG LMAO Lumutqueen LMAO you just confused me even MORE LMAO OMG lol What is it LMAO ? Catherine Windsor, Catherine Mountbatten-Windsor, Catherine Wales, or Catherine Cambridge ?!?!? Omg im so so confused even more LOL this is CRAZYYYYYYYYY LOL

OMGGGGGGGGG LMAO Lumutqueen LMAO you just confused me even MORE LMAO OMG lol What is it LMAO ? Catherine Windsor, Catherine Mountbatten-Windsor, Catherine Wales, or Catherine Cambridge ?!?!? Omg im so so confused even more LOL this is CRAZYYYYYYYYY LOL

It's definitely not Catherine Wales. William decided to keep using Wales as a surname for his RAF position because he didn't want to change it after he became a Duke and his surname is the ducal one. His children will have Cambridge as a surname. Catherine is probably Catherine Cambridge, although being royal she only has to ever sign 'Catherine'. Going by a picture of Diana's passport that had her name as HRH The Princess of Wales, Kate's documents probably have her name as HRH The Duchess of Cambridge.

Thank you for the info. It can be rather confusing but I think I understand. All I know is she is the Duchess of Cambridge to me and that is probably what she would use on her documents. Why use anything else?:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom