Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family: Married Life

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

Royal Highness
City
xx
Country
Canada
it occured to me that william and catherine remind me very much of the king george and the queen mother. the QM was very supportive of her husband. i get a sense that catherine will be the same way. not sure what's made me feel like this. does anyone else get that feeling?

it occured to me that william and catherine remind me very much of the king george and the queen mother. the QM was very supportive of her husband. i get a sense that catherine will be the same way. not sure what's made me feel like this. does anyone else get that feeling?
In a way,I agree.They seem to make a very good match:William's sensibility towards people and Kate's strong will .I am pretty sure this couple will overcome all the difficulties and have a strong marriage based on friendship and reciprocal support

Actually I think it will be more like William will be very supportive to Catherine to make sure the tradegy happened to his Mom won't repeat.

I do get the same sense. Kate's main approach seems to be to want to make Will happy, and then, to be a kindly and honorable person in relationship to teh people. She's unpretentious, comes from a family that is probably more "family like" in the normal sense, like the QM did. The QM was probably a bit more ready for the world stage, having grown up in an actual aristocratic household - and having gone through WW1 as she did, already focused on helping people.

But I'm hoping that Kate has many more years before she has to step into the Queen role, and that when she does become Queen, that the two of them have many more years together as reigning monarchs than Bertie and the QM.

I hope that this couple have at least 35 years of married life together, to enjoy being parents and to stay in the background, before they have to take over the burdens of monarchy.

I wouldn't even be surprised if William extends his time in the military to facilitate a lower key lifestyle.

I truly think this couple will succeed (no pun intended; seriously!) They have maturity, friendship, kindness, consideration and shared goals for their future. I have to commend the Royal Family: It's clearly realized--and corrected--mistakes made in the past. I read--don't know if true--in one of the Royal Marriage special editions the Queen has mandated royals will marry people they've known at least five years. It blows my mind, frankly (and I thought I'd known a lot about Diana) that she and Prince Charles had only met 13 times prior to their marriage!!

The QM was supportive of her husband. I have read bios of QE and prior to becoming Queen she too was very supportive of her husband--essentially being a navy wife and letting Phillip get on with his naval career whilst she stayed in the background doing very normal things. Kate has reportedly said she has no plans to compete with PW and will do all she can to ensure the media focuses as much--if not more--on her husband than her. She doesn't want the media to make her into the superstar at the expense of PW. The sentiment is terrific. I just hope the media allows it. Face it, at the end of the day, I want to see and hear about what Kate is doing, wearing--particularly in this initial "learning phase." I don't see the media letting her fade into the background anytime soon.

I think she will need to make a very concerted effort to avoid being made into a superstar. I think as long as they remain in love and generally happy in their marriage it won't be given the chance to dominate. It seemed to me that the media coverage of Diana really became a problem once the Wales' were fighting and competing - before the public were aware of it - and no holds barred once it was in the open. Fingers crossed Wills and Kate are a genuine love match and they have a long and happy marriage.
I'm curious about the Queen's time with Phillip prior to her coronation, especially in Malta and always thought that time would make an interesting read - the one opportunity she had to be a regular navy wife. The similarities with Kate in Anglesey must be very poignant for HM.

I think it will be successful and solidarity, full of an eternal marriage. True love is seen in his eyes the Prince and Princess. Respect, love-filled life awaits them.
I hope and peace continue to wear the external factor.

Actually I think it will be more like William will be very supportive to Catherine to make sure the tradegy happened to his Mom won't repeat.

good point nahla. i think it's important that he's supportive of her until she's comfortable in her role. i get the feeling that he's already doing. i don't why i get the feeling that marriage reminds me of the QM and HM but something about it does that.

I agree that they are a lot like George VI and Elizabeth QM, I wonder where they will establish official residence? I really think they should think outside the box.

I agree, to a certain extent. Yes, Catherine understands, better than any Royal bride since QM what it is to be a consort. She doesnt want to be a star. She is happy to play support to her husband. There have been a lot of comparisons to Diana - IMO the Duchess of Cambridge will be better than 3 Dianas......she is elegant, understated, classy and mature. She doesnt seem to be vindictive nor manipulative. I like her.

I agree, to a certain extent. Yes, Catherine understands, better than any Royal bride since QM what it is to be a consort. She doesnt want to be a star. She is happy to play support to her husband. There have been a lot of comparisons to Diana - IMO the Duchess of Cambridge will be better than 3 Dianas......she is elegant, understated, classy and mature. She doesnt seem to be vindictive nor manipulative. I like her.

Very true - with the steel in her backbone to help her through, a loving family to turn to when things get her down and a chance to be second on the totem pole for quite some time. The QM wasn't even married to the heir presumptive until she had been married for 13 years and hopefully Kate will also have about 13 - 15 years before she is married to the heir apparent. I do hope though that they then have another 15 or so years in that position before taking on the top job.

I think she will need to make a very concerted effort to avoid being made into a superstar.

I don't think Kate has the charisma to be a superstar like Diana, nor any interest in becoming a superstar - unlike Diana, who sometimes went looking for attention.

Kate might be a little like Queen Mary - quiet and reserved, but dedicated to her role. I think William did make a good choice of bride, even though it took him so long to pop the question! Kate is cautious and reserved but seems kind nevertheless; and she dresses well and is attractive without being glamorous. Those are some of the main qualities required for a princess and future queen. And the fact that she and William seem to really love and respect each other helps a lot as well.

I think Kate and William seem very anxious to please and very aware of the weight of their future role and the consequences of "getting it wrong." I have no doubt that they're going to do everything humanly possible to avoid making the mistakes of past generations. Whether they can prevent scandals and heartbreaks is another matter, but I know they will try. William and Kate are in such an unenviable position, if you think about it. Everyone goes into their marriage thinking it will last, but William and Kate know it has to last, for better or worse.

Marriage is very hard. It's a whole lot of work, patience, dedication and self-examining. I hope they try to work it out. I hope they keep their commitment to one another and keep their marriage sacred. I really do not want to hear of a divorce. I hope that generational curse ends here.

I think if you think back to the opening of the Bishop of London's sermon, it expresses exactly who William and Kate are in a nutshell.

"Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire.” So said St Catherine of Siena whose festival day it is today. Marriage is intended to be a way in which man and woman help each other to become what God meant each one to be, their deepest and truest selves."

This coupled with the prayer the couple composed themselves and the eloquent reading by James Middleton really give us a pretty good insight into who these two people are.

I am not Christian but I will very much admit to how poignant it all was and stating as much as their marriage vows how dedicated they are to not only each other but to what is meaningful to them in their lives. In a way I have to think that this wedding ceremony was not only religious, but very spiritual and personal too.

The Bishop of London's Sermon

I hope they settle into their home, and find some time away from the media for awhile. After awhile, trips to the store and casual outings are not going to intrigue the media so much, it will die down.

I think this wedding will be more successful because for starters, Catherine is older when she got married. She went to University, she worked and she is more secure as a person than Diana ever was. I adore Diana but she was a very sheltered woman who didn't get a chance to develop and grow into the woman she should have been. She had a lot of insecurities and hadn't had a chance to outgrow them at the time of her marriage. Catherine is her own woman - secure, confident, and very comfortable in her skin.

Actually.. she's a lot like me. We have the same birthday.... a few years apart :) lol :)

Last edited:
No one can predict the future but Catherine will have a much better start in THE FIRM than Diana did.

In addition to maturity and more self-confidence, Catherine will have something to help her to adjust to Royal life that Diana never did-a supportive husband. Adittionally, Catherine is no where as charismatic as Diana was so even though there will initally be a lot of media interest it will somewhat die down.

No one can predict the future but Catherine will have a much better start in THE FIRM than Diana did.

In addition to maturity and more self-confidence, Catherine will have something to help her to adjust to Royal life that Diana never did-a supportive husband. Adittionally, Catherine is no where as charismatic as Diana was so even though there will initally be a lot of media interest it will somewhat die down.

You do Charles a disservice there. Diana admitted that he was supportive early on but that he, and the family, expected her to adjust more quickly than she did.

Charles was supportive in the early days and months but they were also the first in line and were expected to be on show almost immediately - something William and Kate won't have to be.

Had Charles still been in the military rather than already a fulltime working royal they might have had more time to allow her to settle in.

You do Charles a disservice there. Diana admitted that he was supportive early on but that he, and the family, expected her to adjust more quickly than she did.

Charles was supportive in the early days and months but they were also the first in line and were expected to be on show almost immediately - something William and Kate won't have to be.

Had Charles still been in the military rather than already a fulltime working royal they might have had more time to allow her to settle in.

Very true! Diana was also very young - just 3 weeks past her 20th birthday - as well as naive to the ways and workings of the royal family. She wasn't ready to be married, much less be on public display for the media to pick at. Kate is 29 and much more self-confident than Diana was at the time of her own marriage. Also, William was raised much differently than his father. Charles was raised to do exactly what he did - find a girl to marry and produce heirs with and keep a mistress on the side. William was raised to believe that marriage is a commitment you make for life and you make that commitment with someone you love. I think in his own way, Charles did love Diana; he just never learned how to express it the way most of us do. Thankfully, William doesn't have that problem and he's he's obviously very happy with Kate by his side.

I see what you're saying, but I don't get that feeling myself. The Queen Mother was a very haughty, stuck up sort of person - she always intentionally made people aware that she was royalty (after her marriage). Kate is not that way at all.

Last edited:
I think they will be a huge success, provided they are allowed to develop their public roles at their own pace and are allowed the normality of life they have known thus far until they are the 'front line' so to speak. It's good to think Catherine now has some time to prepare for the Canada tour which is going to be more worldwide media saturation, although I have absolutely no doubt that they will be an unparalleled success on the tour. I can barely wait! :D

That said, I think she has the strength of character to carve her own role and identity within the firm, that will compliment William without intentionally upstaging him. She's a smart cookie who absolutely knows what she's getting herself in to.

Last edited:

I agree, except I would characterize it as mutually supportive. Yes, the duty of one day being the Sovereign falls to William, but I think he is so mindful of what usually happens to women who marry into his family that we will see him being as ferociously supportive of Catherine as she is of him. I expect the Middletons will see plenty of their daughter and son-in-law and that they will not be frozen out to the degree that other in-laws have been.

They're a wonderful match, these two, and I wish them a lifetime of happiness.

What struck me throughout this whole thing was Catherines poise. She carried off the media scrutiny, the wedding the whole she-bang (if you will) gracefully and seemingly effortlessly. I think these tools will serve her well as Duchess.
One thing that rankled and quite badly (and if this is the wrong place to put this, I apologize to the Mod's and ask that they move it to a more appropriate thread) was the commentators at the wedding. "William is Diana's son. Harry is Diana's son." Well they both are bloody well Charles' sons too! And I don't think they remember to give HRH TPoW the credit he deserves for raising them!

I may have been imagining things, but I thought TDofCa was really enjoying herself at her wedding. I'm very glad of that. There have been instances amongst my family/friends where the bride doesn't even remember the ceremony...

What struck me throughout this whole thing was Catherines poise. She carried off the media scrutiny, the wedding the whole she-bang (if you will) gracefully and seemingly effortlessly. I think these tools will serve her well as Duchess.
One thing that rankled and quite badly (and if this is the wrong place to put this, I apologize to the Mod's and ask that they move it to a more appropriate thread) was the commentators at the wedding. "William is Diana's son. Harry is Diana's son." Well they both are bloody well Charles' sons too! And I don't think they remember to give HRH TPoW the credit he deserves for raising them!

There are times when I think commentators and members of the public think that William and Harry arrived via immaculate conception with the emphasis on them being Diana's sons.

I read somewhere the in the new house that the y will live they only have securty officers, bodyguards, nothing else, but certenly I do not belive that, don't tell me she will do the cleaning of all that house?

I read somewhere the in the new house that the y will live they only have securty officers, bodyguards, nothing else, but certenly I do not belive that, don't tell me she will do the cleaning of all that house?

I read somewhere where they have a housekeeper.

I think this wedding will be more successful because for starters, Catherine is older when she got married. She went to University, she worked and she is more secure as a person than Diana ever was. I adore Diana but she was a very sheltered woman who didn't get a chance to develop and grow into the woman she should have been. She had a lot of insecurities and hadn't had a chance to outgrow them at the time of her marriage. Catherine is her own woman - secure, confident, and very comfortable in her skin.

Good summation of the essential differences between both women. Added to which, perhaps,is the fact that Diana only met with Charles on 12 occasions before they married and was still calling him 'sir' and Catherine and William have been living as man and wife for some years.

Also, the Palace has appointed a very experienced and accomplished man in the ways of diplomacy, international affairs and royal protocol to advise and mentor Catherine, something which Diana never had - she was left to founder. As her adviser, he will be travelling to Canada with them both; he already has the confidence of William, having been charged with overseeing his and Harry's office when they established their independent office, and at HM's insistence.

Everything bodes well for the success of this most welcome marriage.

William and Kate

They do in a way appear to be like QM and George. I think they will be a great asset to Britain as they assume more responsibility. They are a beautiful couple.

I remember an article in ROYALTY years ago about Diana being an "icon". This was before she died. The writer made reference to all the images of Diana with downcast eyes and drew a connection between this image and the Madre de la Rosa. Hence the "immaculate conception" idea is a natural outcome. ;):flowers:

There are times when I think commentators and members of the public think that William and Harry arrived via immaculate conception with the emphasis on them being Diana's sons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom