Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's very possible that Catherine royal role will grow due to her being given honorary appointments, her accepting becoming president of a charity or an organization. The Queen is the one that was sending Catherine to represent her in Malta. I think clearly Catherine is about to be given a much bigger role to play within the "Firm." I think she has grown in confidence and clearly Her Majesty thinks so as well. She's been a senior royal for nearly four years, it's time for her role to grow and increase.
I think you might be right. She might not be doing much more engagements, but heavier...

Scenario: Catherine has scheduled meetings 9-5 with an hour break for lunch and a midmorning break and afternoon tea break. These meetings will/did take place at Kensington Palace in a meeting room there. They were scheduled for 5 days a week for a 30 day period a number of times per year and involved a number of charities. This information was published in the court circular but there was no access to photographers or reporters as they were working meetings.

My question is: Would this be sufficient to quiet/satisfy the naysayers at the DM or on TRF? I wonder, I doubt it. :ermm:

Scenario: Catherine has scheduled meetings 9-5 with an hour break for lunch and a midmorning break and afternoon tea break. These meetings will/did take place at Kensington Palace in a meeting room there. They were scheduled for 5 days a week for a 30 day period a number of times per year and involved a number of charities. This information was published in the court circular but there was no access to photographers or reporters as they were working meetings.

My question is: Would this be sufficient to quiet/satisfy the naysayers at the DM or on TRF? I wonder, I doubt it. :ermm:

I'm getting the vibe that unless Catherine is seen running from engagement to engagement all day every single day, the media and some members of these forums won't be satisfied. I don't see the fuss over Catherine staying home. She's able to be a stay-at-home mom, and those in charge are fine with it, so what is the problem? Is it because people just need to constantly bash her to feel better, or is it just pure boredom, or, wait for it, combination of both? Who knows, maybe Her Majesty even went as far as to ask William if he and Catherine would like some time to themselves, to raise a family, and received an answer of 'at this time, we're more interested in being out of the limelight and raising our children, then in doing royal duties'. Regardless, at this time, we're not going to see too much of either one of the Cambridges out doing 'royal work'. I would think that perhaps it's time to accept it. It's not the end of the world.

One of the 'complaints' from the Express is more and more of the Queen's and Charles's engagements are taking place behind closed doors, hence they want to see more of Kate out and about so she can be photographed and commented on.

Anyone who thinks the tabloids don't have a dog in this fight is fooling themselves. Kate sells papers and garners website clicks, this is why they want to see more of her, not because they believe her numbers are low.

Last edited:
Re Catherine doing more: she is following the same pattern as Diana to a large extent. I pulled out O'Donovan's figures for 1982-1984 and they were 66:110:77. As with Catherine, Diana was pregnant in '82 and '84. I dont have the figures for 85/86 to hand but in 1987 it was over 250. So this isnt unusual at all. Time enough for the figures to increase as many have said.

I know this is the wrong thread but someone asked about William - his training is in 2 parts - ground school (hence all of those 14 exams) and flight school. He has to pass both parts in order to qualify. Obviously flight school means being based in Norfolk.

We must remember the usual circumstances we have in the Royal Family - it has been stated a number of times elsewhere before, but we have three adult generations in the core members of the family as opposed to two or (in the case of the Netherlands for instance) only one. Catherine's current role as the wife of the monarch's grandson is, by it's very nature, limited in what and how much she can do - not to mention what is available to her or how much she is needed/required by "the Firm" or the government.
Charities are usually long-term commitments, sometimes life-time commitments. Taking on anything and everything now will be a problem in the future because when Catherine becomes Princess of Wales, there will be a myriad of charities, obligations etc etc that will suddenly become available for her to perform.

One of the 'complaints' from the Express is more and more of the Queen's and Charles's engagements are taking place behind closed doors, hence they want to see more of Kate out and about so she can be photographed and commented on.

Anyone who thinks the tabloids don't have a dog in this fight is fooling themselves. Kate sells papers and garners website clicks, this is why they want to see more of her, not because they believe her numbers are low.

That's the way I see it, as well. :flowers: The tabloids are fomenting this slant to try to 'smoke' Kate out imo. It's not going to work but even floating it has grease from the 'Waity Katie' and 'Lazy Katie' days (when she worked for her family's business and so was unavailable for routine photo ambushes. Darn! With the press, one needs to always cast a cynical eye on the published copy).

Re Catherine doing more: she is following the same pattern as Diana to a large extent. I pulled out O'Donovan's figures for 1982-1984 and they were 66:110:77. As with Catherine, Diana was pregnant in '82 and '84. I dont have the figures for 85/86 to hand but in 1987 it was over 250. So this isnt unusual at all. Time enough for the figures to increase as many have said.

Exactly so! :flowers: Also, Charles and Diana did give extensive and unprecedented access to their private lives via 2 or 3 documentaries (I'm not sure of the number) in the 1980's, so while Diana may not have been actually out-and-about doing all that much charity work in the early years, there was a sense of accessibility from the documentaries.

We must remember the usual circumstances we have in the Royal Family - it has been stated a number of times elsewhere before, but we have three adult generations in the core members of the family as opposed to two or (in the case of the Netherlands for instance) only one. Catherine's current role as the wife of the monarch's grandson is, by it's very nature, limited in what and how much she can do - not to mention what is available to her or how much she is needed/required by "the Firm" or the government.

Charities are usually long-term commitments, sometimes life-time commitments. Taking on anything and everything now will be a problem in the future because when Catherine becomes Princess of Wales, there will be a myriad of charities, obligations etc etc that will suddenly become available for her to perform.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with your second paragraph. :flowers:

I suggest that those hungry for the Cambridges' should immerse themselves in volunteer work for the next two years and then return to this forum.

I'm trying to figure out: what's wrong with the expectation of Catherine's role as a senior member of the royal family growing or increasing?

People wanting her to be a largely voiceless, smiling well coifed glamorized doll who does a minimum work load is even though she has no pressing reason not to do more-George and the baby will not suffer if she takes a little larger work load, really- when she could gain valuable experience and growth is vaguely sexist to me.

It simply is not going to happen until William becomes full time.

I'm not sure about that. Although, I think Catherine and William will transition over to full-time royals during The Queen's 90th year, I see no problem with Catherine taking on a few honorary military appointments and charitable and organization presidencies. She's fully capable of doing so without being a full-time member of the royal family at the moment.

You are not picking up the vibe coming for HM and PC. What you want and what they want do not jell.

You are not picking up the vibe coming for HM and PC. What you want and what they want do not jell.

I picked up on somebody's vibe when The Queen asked Catherine to represent her for the first time on a tour to Malta. The only reason why Catherine didn't go was because she was unable to due to her illness with HG. That was a sign of Catherine's role as a senior royal increasing not stagnating.

I picked up on somebody's vibe when The Queen asked Catherine to represent her for the first time on a tour to Malta. The only reason why Catherine didn't go was because she was unable to due to her illness with HG. That was a sign of Catherine's role as a senior royal increasing not stagnating.
I agree. They might not be doing MORE engagements, but they are doing heavier.

As long as the media is totally focused on Catherine's hair and clothes, I don't see the RF having her do much except walk behind William. Many may feel that we have all moved past Diana, who over-shadowed the POW, but I don't think the POW has forgotten and he has no plans for a repeat performance by Catherine. When the POW took over the Cambridges and Harry's PR department, there were comments that POW was not happy with all the media focus on Catherine and all her glamour.

It simply is not going to happen until William becomes full time.

We must remember that Catherine's official role within the Royal Family is to support her husband in his capacity as a royal and future heir to the throne (let alone future king). As such, whenever William performs an official duty, Catherine will, under normal circumstances, be there with him.

We cannot have a situation whereby William goes off and does paid work and Catherine does all the royal duties on her own (this would only work if she was the royal-born and not William).

Williams current royal duties are limited (being only the grandson of the monarch) and therefore it follows that Catherine's royal duties will be the same.

In other words, William goes out to work and Catherine's current role is primarily as a wife and mother, with some official duties thrown in from time to time when William is available.

To some people, this might seem unfair on account of their having the use of a royal palace and country home (they are royal after all so it is only natural) and on account of not being seen publicly all of the time. But that is the situation until such time as their position is elevated and they are required to carry out more duties.

I think it's pretty much understood that Catherine and William are part-time senior royals, but there's nothing wrong with Catherine now finding her voice on the issues she care about and the charities she currently support. Also, there's nothing wrong with her gaining a presidency and honorary appointment in her position as Duchess of Cambridge.

I think it's very possible that she haven't found a charity or organization of which she could consider taking on a presidency position or she haven't been asked. It's also possible that considerations for any honorary appointments are being worked out. It's about increasing her current royal role as a senior member of the royal family. None of it would take away of Catherine being William's supporter and being a hands on mother.

We must remember that Catherine's official role within the Royal Family is to support her husband in his capacity as a royal and future heir to the throne (let alone future king). As such, whenever William performs an official duty, Catherine will, under normal circumstances, be there with him.

We cannot have a situation whereby William goes off and does paid work and Catherine does all the royal duties on her own (this would only work if she was the royal-born and not William).

Williams current royal duties are limited (being only the grandson of the monarch) and therefore it follows that Catherine's royal duties will be the same.

In other words, William goes out to work and Catherine's current role is primarily as a wife and mother, with some official duties thrown in from time to time when William is available.

To some people, this might seem unfair on account of their having the use of a royal palace and country home (they are royal after all so it is only natural) and on account of not being seen publicly all of the time. But that is the situation until such time as their position is elevated and they are required to carry out more duties.
Excellent comments from someone who clearly understands the method in which royal families around the world carry out their duties.

I think it's pretty much understood that Catherine and William are part-time senior royals, but there's nothing wrong with Catherine now finding her voice on the issues she care about and the charities she currently support. Also, there's nothing wrong with her gaining a presidency and honorary appointment in her position as Duchess of Cambridge.

I think it's very possible that she haven't found a charity or organization of which she could consider taking on a presidency position or she haven't been asked. It's also possible that considerations for any honorary appointments are being worked out. It's about increasing her current royal role as a senior member of the royal family. None of it would take away of Catherine being William's supporter and being a hands on mother.

In many ways I agree with you, but it is for the charity or organisation to invite the royal to get involved not the other way round. The alternative is for Catherine to set up her own charitable fund, which I believe has already been done.
I would venture to add that it may not be technically correct that William and Catherine are senior royals. They are well known royals and reported on more so than any other, but that does not make them senior royals in the proper sense.
Workload and responsibilities are not handed out based upon one's perceived popularity or the likely attention one might get.

In many ways I agree with you, but it is for the charity or organisation to invite the royal to get involved not the other way round. The alternative is for Catherine to set up her own charitable fund, which I believe has already been done.
I would venture to add that it may not be technically correct that William and Catherine are senior royals. They are well known royals and reported on more so than any other, but that does not make them senior royals in the proper sense.
Workload and responsibilities are not handed out based upon one's perceived popularity or the likely attention one might get.

I agree, but William and Catherine are senior members of the royal family though. It's due to William's position as second-in-line to the throne.

"Senior Royals" - this comes from an intepretation placed on the Jubilee balcony appearance by the media.

Hey, maybe they were wrong! Maybe it was just saying - "Here is my direct line; here is continuity"

Not seniority - but continuity.

William and Catherine have seniority because of the position that William holds in the royal family.

:previous: But it is an argument put forward on a regular basis that as "senior royals" they should do more.

I've thought about that; when that phrase started to be used (balcony) and I am just thinking that the media interpretation is wrong.

No one has to agree - jmo

EDIT (sorry hit wrong button)

Also agree with the comments that Catherine can't go full time while William is working for EAAA. She takes the lead from him.

Using proximity to the throne as an indicator of who is a senior royal would make Beatrice and Eugenie senior royals. They come ahead of Princess Anne and the Earl and Countess of Wessex.

The bottom line is, the Queen decides who works and when and how much

The "senior" term is unfortunate and does not appear to be used for any other royal family. One looks at the Princess of Orange as a junior in the literal sense, but as heir to the Dutch throne it is awkward (for me at least) to categories her as being a senior.

William's (an by default Catherine's) overall position and role is somewhat of a anomaly within royal families, his being 2nd in line to the throne yet "only" the grandson of the monarch. Other royals in his exact position tend to be children and thus immune from criticism. I'm convinced I have touched upon this elsewhere on TRF, but if only we had a precedent as to what role should be played in such circumstances, I am sure life would be easier!

:previous:

Wasn't it the same for Duke of York, later George V. He and Mary lived mainly in Norfolk and did v few royal duties

mmmm..........sounds familiar! :)

:previous: But it is an argument put forward on a regular basis that as "senior royals" they should do more.

I've thought about that; when that phrase started to be used (balcony) and I am just thinking that the media interpretation is wrong.

No one has to agree - jmo

EDIT (sorry hit wrong button)

Also agree with the comments that Catherine can't go full time while William is working for EAAA. She takes the lead from him.

I know I haven't stated that Catherine should go full-time over William. They're in this together. I'm basically stating that Catherine's seems to be increasing since even the Queen wanting Catherine to represent her for the first time abroad. She could make her voice heard more on the issues she care about; like her charities she currently support. Also, it would be nice for her to form a relationship with her own military regiments. I know a lot of my friends on here may disagree with me, but I think Catherine would do a wonderful job as an allied-Colonel in Chief of the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment. A role she would share with Queen Margrethe II of Denmark. She would be able to be to visit the Canadian branch of the regiment as well.

I know I haven't stated that Catherine should go full-time over William. They're in this together. I'm basically stating that Catherine's seems to be increasing since even the Queen wanting Catherine to represent her for the first time abroad. She could make her voice heard more on the issues she care about; like her charities she currently support. Also, it would be nice for her to form a relationship with her own military regiments. I know a lot of my friends on here may disagree with me, but I think Catherine would do a wonderful job as an allied-Colonel in Chief of the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment. A role she would share with Queen Margrethe II of Denmark. She would be able to be to visit the Canadian branch of the regiment as well.

Ok, I understand your view much better now and it does make a lot of sense. Yes, Catherine's role is increasing in a measured way and the fact that the Queen asked her to go to Malta last year does indeed show a clear intention of expanding Catherine's current role as much as practicably possible until she becomes Princess of Wales.

Maybe I am wrong and that she will after all attend certain engagements whilst William works.

The press seek for her to increase visibility, but the reality is that it will be "quality and substance" and high profile events that may be being increased in her role rather than quantity - and I think somewhere in the last few pages, someone has already touched on that.

I agree, but William and Catherine are senior members of the royal family though. It's due to William's position as second-in-line to the throne.

They are senior members of the line of succession in the House of Windsor but when looking at the Firm, they are part time junior working members. One is by birthright and the other is by involvement in working for the family. William, Harry and Kate are learning the ropes so to speak and they've got plenty of time to do it. Along with working part time, each of them are serving family and country in other aspects. William with flying air ambulance, Harry as an officer in the military and Kate with bearing and raising the future heir and his siblings. Add to that the Royal Foundation which is all three of the junior part time members working together with charities and patronages and even bringing into existence new innovative global ways of putting forth their concerns such as the Invictus games and United for Wildlife, these are pretty busy people I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom