Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that seeing is believing, but right now I wonder what she does all day. She has a nanny to look after George so that’s not it. She has staff to handle the paperwork so that’s not it either. What does she do??

I know I don’t have the right to expect anything since I’m not British, but these people receive a high income (in the form of an apartment but still) to show up, shake hands and say a few words. So as far as I’m concerned she could increase her workload. And the reason I single out Kate is because both William and Harry have a job. Which to me means they need to put all of their royal duties in their spare time. Kate doesn’t. That makes it different for me.

I know that seeing is believing, but right now I wonder what she does all day. She has a nanny to look after George so that’s not it. She has staff to handle the paperwork so that’s not it either. What does she do??

I know I don’t have the right to expect anything since I’m not British, but these people receive a high income (in the form of an apartment but still) to show up, shake hands and say a few words. So as far as I’m concerned she could increase her workload. And the reason I single out Kate is because both William and Harry have a job. Which to me means they need to put all of their royal duties in their spare time. Kate doesn’t. That makes it different for me.

The fact though is that even if Wills and Kate just sat on the couch, ate pizza and played video games all day and partied all night, their "income" would remain the same. Along with having their own very adequate bank accounts, their income is supplemented by the Prince of Wales.

This is just a thought that came to me. Now with Andrews scandal, do you think Kate will show up on some unexpected engagements in the coming weeks? We all know she is good at taking up space in the media. PR wise it might be clever to do, but do you think it will happen?

Don't even think Catherine can distract from Andrew right now.

Don't even think Catherine can distract from Andrew right now.
Yeah, me neither. But I wonder if they will try...

Haha, maybe a George engagement :p Neh, don't think they will go there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope she doesn't do more.

Kate has twice been named on Time Magazine's most influential people in the world list.
She finished second to the Queen as a moral leader for Britons.
Kate is doing exactly what I expect of her.

This made me just lol. Kate a moral leader, wow.

This is just a thought that came to me. Now with Andrews scandal, do you think Kate will show up on some unexpected engagements in the coming weeks? We all know she is good at taking up space in the media. PR wise it might be clever to do, but do you think it will happen?

After the press release from BP on the matter, I think it will be business as usual. To do anything to obviously detract from the allegations against Andrew would be to add fuel to the fire.

After the press release from BP on the matter, I think it will be business as usual. To do anything to obviously detract from the allegations against Andrew would be to add fuel to the fire.
True, true. Was just a thought that came to me :p

> Whilst I think she (and William) can do more, I think the current level of public engagements has probably been "sanctioned" by HM and the PoW.

> I don't think this is about her having a baby. I think this is about William and Catherine still being "part-time", and leaving plenty of space for Charles and Camilla. BP and CH probably do not want the limelight to be totally taken away from the next King and Queen by the generation to follow.

> IMO, if HM wanted the Cambridge's to carry out more engagements, they would!

> I also think the DoE does the number of engagements he does not because he has to, but because he wants to. He could happily reduce the level of engagements further substantially, but I just don't think he wants to.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. :flowers: It's a subtle kind of thing (and I don't think it has anything to do with 'jealousy' btw) but I recall seeing it during that brief period when William was in the Falklands, a sort of hysteria was occurring around Kate, and in one instance, when both couples (Charles and Camilla, William and Kate) were exiting cars at the same time at an arrival, it was Kate's name that was being called out. There was something strange about it all, and potentially embarrassing for Kate, who has never struck me as anyone who is trying to grab the limelight away from her husband or her in-laws.

Actually, I think the BRF (HM) made a conscious decision on how to handle the situation, taking into consideration the personalities and wishes of all concerned. It has to be so. There exists a Prince and Princess of Wales. There exists a direct heir, Charles, who (btw) is incredibly self-effacing and pragmatic all-in-all (imo). At the church on Christmas Day, in the video you can see Charles and Kate chatting amiably as they exit the church and descend the stairs behind the Queen, when Charles suddenly exits the group 'picture' to tend to something to the left (thus enabling William to stand beside Kate). At no time does the camera pull out to show us what Charles is doing over to the side. We are left with a picture of the Queen, with William, Kate and Harry. That's the reality, and it must have it's troubling aspects for the BRF.

Targeting Kate is a waste of energy imo as she has no real power in this. Her first priority imo is her relationship with William. William is the prime focus in that couple, as is Charles in his marriage. William, when it comes to that, is the prime focus when it comes to the two brothers, and even there we see Harry deferring to his brother when in public, and in his royal duty numbers.

While it may seem 'simple' from the outside-looking-in, I think the actual way it is working on the inside (of the BRF) is a bit more pragmatic. I don't think the public perception of Kate's royal working life is as important as the perception of William, for example. That's just pragmatism and the realities of the 'family business'. When Charles becomes king and William steps into the direct heir position, I assume we will see changes, but before then, Kate is really a minor player.

P.S. I've never been of the opinion that Kate is lazy. Far from it. I see her as someone who has worked very hard to create the life she wants for herself. As far as what she actually 'does' with her time away from a formal function, we will never know. She may, in fact, be doing plenty, we just will never know. (I have this fantasy that she possibly works for Charles in some capacity around the arts. Maybe once Kate becomes the wife of the heir it will all be revealed as she takes over the running of Charles' Prince's Trust! :D )

Last edited:
I actually enjoy when they do engagements with multiple royals. I remember the one when Wills was in the Falklands and its was Kate, Charles and Camilla and they were doing some sort art project and ironing was in involved and Charles was laughing his head off while trying to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I think people are getting things mixed up here:

We all know the importance of Catherine's private life. She's a wife and mother and no one is saying for her to abandon them to increase her royal duties.

All I'm talking about is the growth in her royal role. There's nothing wrong with her gaining a few more charitable patronages, becoming president of a few organizations and gaining a few honorary military appointments. None of that takes away from being a wife and mother. An increase in her royal role does not mean she would have to become a full-time royal or she would be out performing her husband, William. It would just mean her royal role has grown. That's all.

Why does she have to have a *growth of her royal role*? Would it be to please the media so they can sell more papers and make money? Or to please everyone here and elsewhere so they can see her and judge her and talk about her up one side and down the other? There is no law that says she has to do more in the royal firm until she and they want her to, this isn't about her filling her royal role, it seems to be about her role model for women that are married and having children and about all the gossip that can then be shouted out from the highest roof tops that she needs to do more and if she does more then she is pushy. People need to realize this is her life and not yours and she will do as she, William and the family/firm want her to do. I think she is a very strong woman for doing what she wants to do NOW at this point in her life as later on she will be doing more royal duties as she will have decades to do them, so please people don't get up in a tither over her working less now. Have some patience.

> I don't think this is about her having a baby. I think this is about William and Catherine still being "part-time", and leaving plenty of space for Charles and Camilla. BP and CH probably do not want the limelight to be totally taken away from the next King and Queen by the generation to follow.

I think this is the answer, the only real answer. Whatever popularity has been hard-won by Camilla cannot be bolstered by more appearances by rock star Kate. I rather doubt that the older couple is jealous by the younger couple,but they certainly don't want to be constantly eclipsed by them.

I think people are getting things mixed up here:

We all know the importance of Catherine's private life. She's a wife and mother and no one is saying for her to abandon them to increase her royal duties.

All I'm talking about is the growth in her royal role. There's nothing wrong with her gaining a few more charitable patronages, becoming president of a few organizations and gaining a few honorary military appointments. None of that takes away from being a wife and mother. An increase in her royal role does not mean she would have to become a full-time royal or she would be out performing her husband, William. It would just mean her royal role has grown. That's all.

This too true, 76 engagements seems like less that part time. She can work 4hrs a day 3 days a week and be fine imo. And William and Harry also do less engagements but they also have jobs. Harry imo can do as little engagements as he wants because he has a full time career, same with William...Kate does not. Phillip may have established more commitment in his years but the point is he is working harder than a woman 60yrs his junior.
there maybe some media outlets who just want more pictures of Kate, and their might be equally the amount of royal watchers who have been watching this woman doing nothing since college and continue watching her do nothing even after she is married. I for one am not asking for Prince Charles type numbers, bUT the woman could at least hit the triple digits.

Last edited:
Xenia, what job is William currently engaged with? He hasn't even started his search and rescue studies. He was supposed to start that job in September, I think.

Xenia, what job is William currently engaged with? He hasn't even started his search and rescue studies. He was supposed to start that job in September, I think.
He started studying this fall. In Malta he said he had to complete 14 exams by December. And he (if I remember correctly) will do a little more studying and start working April or something like that.

Kate will do more when Charles provide her more money (people are in the notion that these engagements don't cost money, her showing up will cost nothing, they are wrong) or when The Queen, DoE, Charles and Camilla retired from public duties which would free up the budget and charities. People think these four are too old to gave a damn about them anyway and it will make the complainers of Kate don't do much happy.

Solution 3 would be for the Government to gave the BRF more money.

The press release said spring for when he starts flying shifts. I would think it would be pushed back until the baby comes in April.

Well, everyone knows I think both K&W are layabouts, but let her raise those heirs and let him do his daredevil work and hold off on assessments until they are in their 50s...well, maybe their 40s. Charles and I are the same age and I figure I've got maybe 20 good years left. Time just marches on whether or not the Cambridges are just sitting on the couch eating pizza.

Last edited:
While I definitely think Catherine could and should do more, I think it's ridiculous that she is the one getting criticism when, according to the DM article, William has done a mere 35 engagements more than she has – and I presume that includes the engagements he took over from Catherine when she had to bow out of the official visit to Malta. I honestly think William's gap year was disastrous and I can't believe there isn't more talk about it. If anyone, he is the one who hasn't been "pulling his weight on royal duties".

While I definitely think Catherine could and should do more, I think it's ridiculous that she is the one getting criticism when, according to the DM article, William has done a mere 35 engagements more than she has – and I presume that includes the engagements he took over from Catherine when she had to bow out of the official visit to Malta. I honestly think William's gap year was disastrous and I can't believe there isn't more talk about it. If anyone, he is the one who hasn't been "pulling his weight on royal duties".

I totally agree with you, but this is a thread about Kate so if we start launching into William we will be smacked and sent to the naughty corner.

You may not be familiar with the inner workings of the royal family, but none of them just sit on their butts all day, when they're not out and about on official engagements. They're usually busy with meetings, going over correspondents from their various charities and other organizations. They may meet with some charity officials and help plan their official dairy with their private secretaries. They are rather busy people.

Both Kate and William's overall number of royal engagements has been rather disappointing, solely for the reason that unlike Harry, they have had little else to do. I would find it hard to view either of tem as role models, because although they are not totally workshy, they do no seem interested in fulfilling their full potential, unlike Princess Anne for example.

You've hit a nail on the head here. Take the situation that you've painted and insert the words Sophie Wessex and we have the clear, concise picture of a royal going about and doing her duties and engagements without much media and public fanfare and there's no complaints at all about it.

The Cambridges are media darlings and it definitely is the case of seeing is believing. No see 'em.. they're not doing. :D

Sophie's not the future Queen Consort so different things are expected of her, but one difference between her and her husband's niece-in-law is that we know Sophie Wessex has a work ethic. She demonstrated it before and after her marriage. And we see the stats after the fact so we know she works; we don't have to see her doing it all the time. What she does gets publicity though; I've seen lots of photos of her doing things.

The Royals need to be seen. With the possible exception of The Queen, their main role is to entertain the people and do things for the benefit of the public and they need to be seen. They have a symbiotic relationship with the public. If they expect the people to continue to allow them to hold the position they hold, and to want to continue to bow and scrape in their presence, they have to put on a suitable show to earn those privileges. Further, their job as supporters of charity is to get publicity for the charity so as to attract donations from the public to further the charity's aims. What's the point of one of them supporting a charity if they are never seen talking about it or doing something to help it?

Sophie's not the future Queen Consort so different things are expected of her, but one difference between her and her husband's niece-in-law is that we know Sophie Wessex has a work ethic. She demonstrated it before and after her marriage. And we see the stats after the fact so we know she works; we don't have to see her doing it all the time. What she does gets publicity though; I've seen lots of photos of her doing things.

I think you meant Charles' sister-in-law. ;) I did a double-back-track when you said 'niece'. Or ..... on re-reading I'm not sure who you were referencing except that either way there isn't a niece involved. Am I right? :p

The Royals need to be seen. With the possible exception of The Queen, their main role is to entertain the people and do things for the benefit of the public and they need to be seen. They have a symbiotic relationship with the public. If they expect the people to continue to allow them to hold the position they hold, and to want to continue to bow and scrape in their presence, they have to put on a suitable show to earn those privileges. Further, their job as supporters of charity is to get publicity for the charity so as to attract donations from the public to further the charity's aims. What's the point of one of them supporting a charity if they are never seen talking about it or doing something to help it?

But they are being seen: the Queen and her husband, the Prince of Wales and his wife. :flowers: These are the key royals right now. You make it sound like all the work these royals do (not to mention the work of all the Queen's children: Anne, Edward/Sophie and Andrew) is cancelled out because William and Catherine don't do enough. :ermm:

It may be that there will be more changes afoot with a King William than can be fully embraced now. For now, it's business-as-usual, as expected, as set in motion decades ago in another generation. I think we can trust Charles to carry on, but what a King William will do is a total unknown. But that's all OT.

In the end, I see Catherine (what she does or does not do in her status as William's wife and as royalty) as a function of William and the BRF (HM). (What happens in their private life is another story, of course). Catherine does not call the shots when it comes to her royal life, understandably so. JMO.

They aren't going to take the kids on a tour. However, they could easily do a couple days in Europe or Canada again. George and new baby Cambridge aren't going to be traumatized by their parents being gone for a week especially with modern technology such as skype where they can still be in touch.

Malta was Kate's tour and Wills had to fill in so she was okay in leaving George for a night and they did by going to NYC.

And just how old will this new baby be, a few months perhaps? And we don't know for sure but I would put money on the fact that Catherine does breast feed her child, so how does she do that when she is thousands of miles away from the child, through skycap or the internet or does she make dozens of bottles of mommy milk to be stored away while she is gone on tour to please everybody and to show everyone that she actually works. Something is very off with people that want her out there working to just satisfy their curiosity about what she does with her life. What is the hurry up and get working attitude towards her? I just don't get it. And yes lots of women work and have babies, and that doesn' t mean she has to be like everyone else, she has 40+ years to do royal duties, why the rush?

I think you meant Charles' sister-in-law. ;) I did a double-back-track when you said 'niece'. Or ..... on re-reading I'm not sure who you were referencing except that either way there isn't a niece involved. Am I right? :p

Yes, there is a niece involved. Sophie's husband is Charles' brother. Charles' sons are Edward's nephews, therefore Charles' married son's wife is Edward's niece-in-law.

But they are being seen: the Queen and her husband, the Prince of Wales and his wife. :flowers: These are the key royals right now. You make it sound like all the work these royals do (not to mention the work of all the Queen's children: Anne, Edward/Sophie and Andrew) is cancelled out because William and Catherine don't do enough. :ermm:

It may be that there will be more changes afoot with a King William than can be fully embraced now. For now, it's business-as-usual, as expected, as set in motion decades ago in another generation. I think we can trust Charles to carry on, but what a King William will do is a total unknown. But that's all OT.

In the end, I see Catherine (what she does or does not do in her status as William's wife and as royalty) as a function of William and the BRF (HM). (What happens in their private life is another story, of course). Catherine does not call the shots when it comes to her royal life, understandably so. JMO.

If you took from my comment that I was implying that all the work the other royals do is cancelled out because William and Kate don't do enough, I assure you that was not my intention.

As I see it, the Royals have two separate though related public jobs and roles: Royal stuff and charity stuff. The Royal stuff is the official stuff HM does and the stuff her relatives do representing HM, and the ceremonial stuff they do connected with the armed forces as a result of their honorary appointments, and the attending of fancy events wearing shiny, sparkly, clothes and baubles. The charity stuff is the sort of thing Anne does a lot of for her many charities and other worthy institutions with which she is involved as Patron or in a similar role. I fully understand why Kate won't be given more Royal duties to perform until she is Princess of Wales, but I don't see any reason why Kate can't be doing more in the charitable line.

Last edited:
Yes, there is a niece involved. Sophie's husband is Charles' brother. Charles' sons are Edward's nephews, therefore Charles' married son's wife is Edward's niece-in-law.

Yep. Got it. :huh: Why do I feel like I just failed an intelligence test? :blink: :p

As I see it, the Royals other than HM, Philip & Charles, have two separate though related public jobs and roles: Royal stuff and charity stuff. The Royal stuff is the official stuff they do representing The Queen and the ceremonial stuff they do connected with the armed forces as a result of their honorary appointments, and the attending of fancy events wearing shiny, sparkly, clothes and baubles. The charity stuff is the sort of thing Anne does a lot of for her many charities and other worthy institutions with which she is involved as Patron or in a similar role. I fully understand why Kate won't be given more Royal duties to perform until she is Princess of Wales, but I don't see any reason why Kate can't be doing more in the charitable line.

It's the 'charity stuff' that is more in line with free will, and is 'recent' as things go (I understand). But it's likely also driven by factors that are beyond Catherine's control. Just an opinion. William, as born royal, could decide, perhaps, but I just don't see that such activity is really in her scope to decide. It's part of a 'public life'.

I would guess that because it is public and related to her position as wife of a prince and royal herself by association, she doesn't have the 'authority' to decide for herself.

Maybe she could do more, but just doesn't want to. Maybe she would like to do more, but is disallowed (for reasons we will never know). In either case, it's a mystery. Clearly it's not going to change.

If you took from my comment that I was implying that all the work the other royals do is cancelled out because William and Kate don't do enough, I assure you that was not my intention.

Okay. It seemed like you were saying that. What were you saying, then? It seemed like you were saying that the 'good name' of the BRF was dependent on William and Kate being-out-and-about, I guess on charity events.

Anyway, the visits and what-all are pretty thin substance-wise imo, and take a lot of time and planning for the charity. Time better spent doing the real work, but that is wholly my off-the-wall opinion. I've been around charity work for a while, and while high-profile events can be valuable, they can also be annoying, disruptive, and in the case of certain charities, counter-productive. But that's a whole 'nother topic. :sleep:

Last edited:
Let's get back on topic. This thread is about the Duchess of Cambridge's future duties and role. Comparisons to Prince Philip, Sophie and stay-at-home moms are off topic. If you would like to discuss Catherine's engagement numbers, please do so in the Annual Engagements for the British Royals thread.

Further off topic posts will be deleted.

What we have to bear in mind - and what the Queen has allready spoken about is, they don't retire - some drop out of duty by being infirme, but otherwise - once you begun - you stay fast.

So a lot of us do early retirement at even before 60 - not so the royals. In some countries and jobs you can retire after 40 working-years .... so they should be aloud to start later in life with royal work - and after they have raised their family.

The Queen regreted it very much, that she had to step up so early in her life, and not to have the time to look more after HER family. She very much made it clear, that she wishes that the young royals get the chance to have some early married Years with small kidds in kind of 'half-duty'.

I think it's very possible that Catherine royal role will grow due to her being given honorary appointments, her accepting becoming president of a charity or an organization. The Queen is the one that was sending Catherine to represent her in Malta. I think clearly Catherine is about to be given a much bigger role to play within the "Firm." I think she has grown in confidence and clearly Her Majesty thinks so as well. She's been a senior royal for nearly four years, it's time for her role to grow and increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom