Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You've been around here too long to be ignorant of how the royal family works, so I assume you're purposefully trolling.

Quite unbecoming.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Unbecoming? I disagree. I have always thought Kate was lazy, still do. There is room for both sides of the issue.

No matter what one thinks of Kate, and I am in the lazy camp too, it is not right to compare her to Prince Philip, given his position and this achievements over several decades, things he build up for himself.
Kate can only be judged in decades to come compared to the DoE, and imo his boots will be very hard to fill for her.

I agree with those of you who think she should, at least, increase her number of duties... To be frank I'm fed up with the excuse of "forming her family". Please. She is doing it quite well at the moment and I don't think a couple of more engagement would do any harm... She has help, lot of stuff and I don't think her daily schedule is so full that she can't spend time with her children... It's a bit ridiculous IMO. Average women manage both work and family well and a couple of hours more won't damage her precious time...

And many average woman choose to do exactly what Kate is doing. In fact millions of woman choose to focus on their young families.
All of the Queen's grandchildren put royal engagements on the back burner for the time being. Kate is no different.

I agree with those of you who think she should, at least, increase her number of duties... To be frank I'm fed up with the excuse of "forming her family". Please. She is doing it quite well at the moment and I don't think a couple of more engagement would do any harm... She has help, lot of stuff and I don't think her daily schedule is so full that she can't spend time with her children... It's a bit ridiculous IMO. Average women manage both work and family well and a couple of hours more won't damage her precious time...

Lets be clear the "forming her family" excuse is not put out by KP, but is ascribed to her by the media, or by members of TRF. Not once has the BRF explained her (lack of) work commitments due to family constraints.

Lets be clear the "forming her family" excuse is not put out by KP, but is ascribed to her by the media, or by members of TRF. Not once has the BRF explained her (lack of) work commitments due to family constraints.

I know that... Many member are telling over and over that she has children etc... So I was just pointing out that she doesn't work 8 hours per day and an increase of her workload certainly wouldn't hurt. That's all...

The press has a interest in Kate doing more engagements because she is a paper seller and website hit magnet.

The headline about the engagement numbers could have been Philip does more engagements than younger Royals since William, Kate and Harry all did less than Philip. But the DM just said Kate.

We know what William is doing and it's not going to be ft Royal duties so Kate isn't going to be doing more than William.

The HG and pregnancies definitely affects how much she can do. The HG took at least 12 engagements off the table last September that we know and she isn't going to Japan and China with William which she would have if not pregnant.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I think people are getting things mixed up here:

We all know the importance of Catherine's private life. She's a wife and mother and no one is saying for her to abandon them to increase her royal duties.

All I'm talking about is the growth in her royal role. There's nothing wrong with her gaining a few more charitable patronages, becoming president of a few organizations and gaining a few honorary military appointments. None of that takes away from being a wife and mother. An increase in her royal role does not mean she would have to become a full-time royal or she would be out performing her husband, William. It would just mean her royal role has grown. That's all.

I think you're getting things mixed up. Kate has no role, neither does William or Harry. Monarchy just doesn't work like that.

Kate's engagement numbers are the same as W&H. All of them choose to have a life away from royalty, Kate's choices are no less important than what William or Harry decide to do.

I know that... Many member are telling over and over that she has children etc... So I was just pointing out that she doesn't work 8 hours per day and an increase of her workload certainly wouldn't hurt. That's all...

Most women that balance a career and family at home also collect a paycheck. Unless salaried, the more hours one works, the bigger the paycheck and in most cases, it takes a double income to support a family these days.

This doesn't apply to Kate. She does not get paid for her engagements. She actually is not "working" but rather "volunteering" her time and energies in service to her monarch and her charities and patronages. The Cambridges are financially able to not have to earn a paycheck to survive. William will be donating his paycheck from EAAA back into the charitable organization he works for. Kate will be doing more and more as time passes and they have the blessed option right now to put family first.

That's fine with me.

Kate's engagement numbers are the same as W&H. All of them choose to have a life away from royalty, Kate's choices are no less important than what William or Harry decide to do.

William and Harry both have a job. I’m not sure if it’s a full-time job, but a job non the less. Things would be different if there were no nanny to look after George, but there is. That means there is a nanny to look after a child while his mother doesn’t really have a lot to do. Again, if there were no nanny and raising a family would be here main priority things would be different. Then that would be her job but now there is very little.

And yes plenty of women who can afford to stay at home do just that, but she’s not those women. She is the future queen of England and in that respect I would expect her to be an example.

Besides.. I don’t see why she’s not allowed to do more than William. Is that so she won’t make him look bad?? Seems to be running in the family.

I think you're getting things mixed up. Kate has no role, neither does William or Harry. Monarchy just doesn't work like that.

All senior members of the royal family have a role to play in supporting The Queen and representing the "Firm." William is president of a few charities and other organizations. He's a royal colonel and a commodore-in-cheif of a few military services. Also, he's royal patron of many charities. This means his royal role has increased and there's nothing wrong with Catherine's role increasing too.

None of this takes away from her being a wife and a mother.

Most women that balance a career and family at home also collect a paycheck. Unless salaried, the more hours one works, the bigger the paycheck and in most cases, it takes a double income to support a family these days.

This doesn't apply to Kate. She does not get paid for her engagements. She actually is not "working" but rather "volunteering" her time and energies in service to her monarch and her charities and patronages. The Cambridges are financially able to not have to earn a paycheck to survive. William will be donating his paycheck from EAAA back into the charitable organization he works for. Kate will be doing more and more as time passes and they have the blessed option right now to put family first.

That's fine with me.

They don’t get paid in cash no.. but they live for free in one of the most expensive parts of London. I believe the monthly price for an apartment like that is 20.000 pounds. That’s a hefty paycheck in disguise. I don’t see why people shouldn’t expect William and Kate (and Harry) to work for it.

That's fine with me.

Sorry but I find it hard to think that Kate has not a better and wealthier life than the ordinary women... She is not tired with work at the end of the day... She spends all her days with her child and her engagements require just a couple of hours away from George... Can't see all this so called "sacrifice":ermm:

Sorry but I find it hard to think that Kate has not a better and wealthier life than the ordinary women... She is not tired with work at the end of the day... She spends all her days with her child and her engagements require just a couple of hours away from George... Can't see all this so called "sacrifice":ermm:

No one expects her to work that much. People just want her to work more that she does now.

Its not only Kate who chooses to balance engagements with a life outside of royalty. She is doing the same thing as all third generation royals. Why should she be singled out

No one expects her to work that much. People just want her to work more that she does now.

Who are these people? The Press? The Tabloids?

But if you ask an ordinary woman if they would want to be Kate? They say no. It is a trade off. You get nice houses, clothes and jewelry but you also get constant scrutiny and you never to get to retire.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Its not only Kate who chooses to balance engagements with a life outside of royalty. She is doing the same thing as all third generation royals. Why should she be singled out

It's not about singling her out, but more about her role increasing. No one is saying that she should be doing 200 to 300 official engagements at the moment. She could gain a few more charitable patronages, a presidency and a few military appointments. It's what William and Harry have and you don't see them performing 200 to 300 engagements. All it would mean is that her role as a senior member of the royal family has increased.

Miliarty appointments come from the Queen, not Kate's concern. I personally think she has enough charities. Quantity doesn't mean quality.

Miliarty appointments come from the Queen, not Kate's concern. I personally think she has enough charities. Quantity doesn't mean quality.

I also think that if there are more charities to be taken on, they would most likely be umbrella'ed under The Royal Foundation and the three main focuses of that. Young people, sustainable development and conservation, and the Armed Forces.

As things with the Cambridges and Harry are usually planned out well in advance, I wouldn't be surprised if right now, they are already planning the fall of 2015 when Kate returns from maternity leave. Things just don't happen overnight.

I agree with you, Rudolph, that quality isn't reflected in quantity. As an example, the numbers for Harry's engagements is right along with the Cambridges as part time royals but he has definitely made an impact with what he has done. Prince Harry is 3 in the Discovery's list of the most inspirational people and moments of 2014.

The most inspirational people and moments of 2014 voted for in annual poll by the Discovery Channel  | Daily Mail Online

Its more about making a difference than putting on a show and doing things by rote and holding scissors and cutting ribbons.

I'm just looking forward to see her royal role increase and to see her do some more amazing things and impacting peoples lives. Catherine has done an amazing job so far and she seem to enjoy conducting her official engagements.

She could be doing more and I'm looking forward to what she'll be doing in the months to come.

I hope she doesn't do more.

Kate has twice been named on Time Magazine's most influential people in the world list.
She finished second to the Queen as a moral leader for Britons. Kate is doing exactly what I expect of her.

Last edited:
I'm curious. Would everyone be "satisfied" if Catherine did many many more things BUT these things would not be accompanied by lots of media coverage and photographs? In other words, if they just showed up on the court circular after the fact. I suspect not. I think many of the complaints have to do with not seeing Catherine out and about. I doubt reports after the fact would satisfy those who are complaining. I strongly suspect the issue is more of "not seeing" rather than not working. Just MHO.

I'm curious. Would everyone be "satisfied" if Catherine did many many more things BUT these things would not be accompanied by lots of media coverage and photographs? In other words, if they just showed up on the court circular after the fact. I suspect not. I think many of the complaints have to do with not seeing Catherine out and about. I doubt reports after the fact would satisfy those who are complaining. I strongly suspect the issue is more of "not seeing" rather than not working. Just MHO.

Exactly. It's so superficial. Media want her to carry out more public duties so they can photograph her, put her on the front page, comment on her outfit and hair so they can sell more newspapers or whatever. That's it basically.

There are some papers and members of the media who would like to see Catherine more for their own benefit, but there are some people out there who just want to see her royal role grow and for her to gain a few more responsibilities. I thought that is what this thread was about, talking about, Catherine's future duties, roles and responsibilities.

Bingo! Excellent comment that showcases the media's call for increased visits.

You've hit a nail on the head here. Take the situation that you've painted and insert the words Sophie Wessex and we have the clear, concise picture of a royal going about and doing her duties and engagements without much media and public fanfare and there's no complaints at all about it.

The Cambridges are media darlings and it definitely is the case of seeing is believing. No see 'em.. they're not doing. :D

I would be satisfied with that. Due to my advanced age, I'm not interested in wearing the clothing Kate wears and she surely is not a "moral compass" as I am not all that fond of unmarried people living together. So sue me. I would be happy to read about engagements after they were done. Sure would cut down on the hundreds of speculative posts of "what next" on this Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom