Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This person that wrote this article about Catherine working, what is her agenda for doing this? Is there perhaps a bit of jealousy on her part that she isn't royal or what? Her article seems filled with non-truths and fabrication on what Catherine does and doesn't do. And can she be allowed to get away with this slander?

Her agenda is: always trying to create a little row to sell more newspapers. :)

Rebecca English knows better than to write articles like that. She knows that the other senior royal more responsibilities that's been handed down to them and they have more charitable organizations to support than Catherine.

Yes, it's true that Catherine could do a little more, she's always willing to do more. Despite her being a part-time senior royal, she was willing to go to Malta and represent the Queen. She couldn't do so because she was sick. She have a baby on the way and that will take her out of the game for a while. She has let it be known that she can do more and she enjoys it.

I think Kate's numbers are fine at moment considering she has a toddler and baby on the way, but the fact she never really worked before her marriage does send a red flag. I hope in few years time she is doing more

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I am not sure what you mean by she never really worked before her marriage. She worked briefly at Jigsaw but more importantly worked for the family firm. i am lucky to know enough people who work for family enterprises...and l am here to tell you that they work very hard because it is the family enterprise. Yes, there are those who also don't work very hard but hey...you have both sets of workers at all types of businesses...family owned and non family owned.

Let me also say, that if I was at the point financially that I didn't have to work for a living to say eat and have a roof over my head....I wouldn't. So I don't look down on those who don't. Yes, I would probably be bored having nothing to do...but I do think I would do charity work.

Back to Catherine....much ado about nothing. We have discussed this in great detail....she has a lifetime of service...another 40 to 50 years.

I too have worked in our family business so of course it can be hard. But would have liked to see her have a career that would have helped her in her new life. No need to be upset I was not putting Kate down

Her agenda is: always trying to create a little row to sell more newspapers. :)

I agree with Arrjann- the only purpose of this article was to put the duchess on the cover and have an article with her photo ( which will atract the readers). Of course if she had had more engagements that any other member of BRF she will be called to be "pushy" and "not to know her place".
:bang:

I do think that Kate should do more, but to compare her to the DoE is just ridiculous.

Women are very fortunate they DONT work outside the home
Raising a family is enough...

Since another baby is in his/her way we cannot expect major work or important roles... the 2015 for her will be as 2013.... Probably a second nanny will be employed... No more, no less...

I agree. :flowers: I don't understand all the fuss about Catherine, especially since she will always be following William's lead. If William's numbers are low, that's the way the BRF has decided it will go for the time being. Seems clear-cut to me.

I believe it's because she is the one people most want to see.
They want to analyze her expressions, her posture, her hair...and above all what she is wearing!

People sometimes complain that she and her family are always in the papers for what really amounts to non-stories, BUT.

Who is it who gets all the comments?

(That seems to be true even in this forum, judging by what I see).

Kate tried to work after college, but the media coverage was overwhelming. So she went to work for her parent's company where the media coverage could be controlled.

What is wrong if Kate wants to be a wife and mother first and ahead of royal duties? William's decision to work at a job instead of being a full time royal also seems to be supported by the Queen and Prince of Wales.

As for those who feel that this failure to work for the family firm 24/7 will led to the of the British monarchy, in 10-15 years what the couple did today will be a non-issue. See how quickly we forget about Kate's efforts to work after college. Same with 70 royal functions in 2014.

This couple has the luxury of living their lives outside the family firm because William is 3rd in line. When Charles becomes king, William and Kate's lives will change. I am sure they both are fully aware of that. So I am fully in Kate's corner for focusing on being a mother now, while she can.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Kate's decision (backed by the Queen and the PoW) to focus on family first is no different from Harry choosing to put the army ahead of royal duties.

Kate is allowed to have a life outside of royalty and she is blessed at the moment of being in the position to do it. Things may change in the future, but for now she should take advantage of the time she has.

I'm not surprised people see her as a moral leader. She has her priorities right

Kate's decision (backed by the Queen and the PoW) to focus on family first is no different from Harry choosing to put the army ahead of royal duties.

Kate is allowed to have a life outside of royalty and she is blessed at the moment of being in the position to do it. Things may change in the future, but for now she should take advantage of the time she has.

I'm not surprised people see her as a moral leader. She has her priorities right

I totally agree. Now is the time to focus on family life and to create that solid basis that's so important for marriage and their children, especially in their position, with the eyes of the world watching their every move. They're in the position to stay out of the limelight, as William is not yet the Prince of Wales. The Queen understands this only too well I think. And, of course, they've learnt from Diana's days.

Victoria Arbiter @victoriaarbiter · Dec 31
If the Queen wanted Kate doing more she'd be doing more, but I think it would be a positive step to see her numbers increase during 2015.

Final word as it's time to open some chambers, but surely a slight increase brings nothing but positivity across the board. I was not

suggesting an engagement per day. Some duties can take as little as 45 mins so it would be possible without detracting from family life.

I agree that she should could be doing more. Hopefully, this year Catherine will gain a couple of more patronages and even a honorary colonelcy. She'll be going on leave probably in March though.

My thinking is she goes on maternity leave after St Patrick's Day with the Irish Guards and comes back for the big June Royal events of Trooping and Garter day. Maybe a late fall tour for the Cambridges.

My thinking is she goes on maternity leave after St Patrick's Day with the Irish Guards and comes back for the big June Royal events of Trooping and Garter day. Maybe a late fall tour for the Cambridges.

I too think she'll be starting back duties around June.

Kate tried to work after college, but the media coverage was overwhelming. So she went to work for her parent's company where the media coverage could be controlled.

What is wrong if Kate wants to be a wife and mother first and ahead of royal duties? William's decision to work at a job instead of being a full time royal also seems to be supported by the Queen and Prince of Wales.

As for those who feel that this failure to work for the family firm 24/7 will led to the of the British monarchy, in 10-15 years what the couple did today will be a non-issue. See how quickly we forget about Kate's efforts to work after college. Same with 70 royal functions in 2014.

This couple has the luxury of living their lives outside the family firm because William is 3rd in line. When Charles becomes king, William and Kate's lives will change. I am sure they both are fully aware of that. So I am fully in Kate's corner for focusing on being a mother now, while she can.

I think that being a mother and a full time mother (if a woman can afford it these days) is the most important job and responsibility she can do. Seeing that the children are well loved, nurtured, have self-confidence and are taught to accept responsibility for their actions is the ultimate goal of any mother and Catherine has more then her hands full as to whom her son is going to be. Let her be the mother and wife, she has plenty of time in the future to do royal duties, it is only those that live their lives through her (media) that complain about her not doing more. Time the media gets a life and leaves her alone and report on what is really going on in this world.

I surely hope there is no fall tour so we can all see her and William working, they are at that time going to have a baby only a few months old, can you imagine traveling around the world with a baby that old regardless of all the help that they might have? It would be horrible on a baby and their son will still be a small child who will need constant care by both parents. This isn't the day and age when QE went off and left her son alone with nannies. I applaud W/C for understanding that as a child grows up that child needs both parents to guide him/her through life until they are ready to take on more of their own life. The children should come first, not the people that want to see them out working and greeting people. I am glad that she is taking time out, it will be and is very important for PG and his sibling to know that their parents are always there for them. Children need and should have that sense of security about them. Tours can wait or W can do them alone as he did in Malta.

Last edited by a moderator:
They aren't going to take the kids on a tour. However, they could easily do a couple days in Europe or Canada again. George and new baby Cambridge aren't going to be traumatized by their parents being gone for a week especially with modern technology such as skype where they can still be in touch.

Malta was Kate's tour and Wills had to fill in so she was okay in leaving George for a night and they did by going to NYC.

Canada has an election this year so I doubt they'll be visiting

I think that being a mother and a full time mother (if a woman can afford it these days) is the most important job and responsibility she can do.

I totally agree with you here. Long gone are the days of "Children should be seen and not heard" and "Wait till your father gets home" and "Spare the rod, spoil the child". The entire Cambridge family has quite a future mapped out for them full of duty and service and responsibility and very much a public life. I think that George and his sibling(s) can and will handle and grow into their roles far much better if they know they have hands on parents to do it with.

Both William and Kate seem to be really hands on with George in all aspects of his growing up and a happy home is a happy family. The Queen probably fondly remembers her days growing up with her parents and the closeness they had and wishes the same for the Cambridges.

I'm just looking forward to see some growth in her royal role. I think it would be good to see her forming a relationship with her own royal regiments, taking on a organization presidency and a few more charitable patronages.

Being wife and mother is a very important role in her private life, but I think she's fully capable to handling a few more official roles now. She's has grown in confidence and she truly enjoy performing her royal engagements.

I think the article is spot on. A 93yr old man working more than you is embarrasing. She truly is Lazy Katy the Duchess of DoLittle.

I think the article is spot on. A 93yr old man working more than you is embarrasing. She truly is Lazy Katy the Duchess of DoLittle.

You've been around here too long to be ignorant of how the royal family works, so I assume you're purposefully trolling.

Quite unbecoming.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

What a horrible thing to say, do you realize how old Catherine is compared to the Duke, of course he is going to have more engagements then she is, he isn't raising or having babies. Or did you just post that to start an argument so that there would be fireworks? People really need to stop living their lives through this young woman, I assume that she is doing what she is doing with the blessings of the queen, her father-in-law and her husband. After all women have babies to raise, as men can't have babies.

As someone quoted earlier, a happy home makes for a happy child and a well adjusted child and that child comes first in any family.

I'm just looking forward to see some growth in her royal role. I think it would be good to see her forming a relationship with her own royal regiments, taking on a organization presidency and a few more charitable patronages.

Being wife and mother is a very important role in her private life, but I think she's fully capable to handling a few more official roles now. She's has grown in confidence and she truly enjoy performing her royal engagements.

She's very capable in handling more official roles of course. She just happens to have other priorities right now, apparently with the Queen's full support. It's all about choices.

For many decades, she'll have many, many official roles, so many, that people even may get tired of it. And by that time, she's laid with William a solid basis with their children. People just need a little patience!

What a horrible thing to say, do you realize how old Catherine is compared to the Duke, of course he is going to have more engagements then she is, he isn't raising or having babies. Or did you just post that to start an argument so that there would be fireworks? People really need to stop living their lives through this young woman, I assume that she is doing what she is doing with the blessings of the queen, her father-in-law and her husband. After all women have babies to raise, as men can't have babies.

As someone quoted earlier, a happy home makes for a happy child and a well adjusted child and that child comes first in any family.

I, for one, certainly realise how old Kate is compared with Philip. She is 32 and he is 93, and I think the relative age of the two people in question is precisely the reason for the criticism of her lack of work.

Yes, she's breeding at the moment, but pregnancy, of itself, is not an illness, and many women hold down responsible full-time jobs throughout their pregnancies. She's had some pregnancy-related ill-health and no-one expects her to do anything when she can't hold down food and is likely to be spending half the day vomiting, but she seems to be over that now. And she has a full time nanny to help with George and I'm betting she has help with the housework and cooking, too, so it's not as though she is a full time housewife and mother with no-one to help her and free her for other things. So why isn't she doing, and - just as importantly - being seen to be doing, more?

Oh, and 32 is not young. For some reason there is a tendency to refer to this 32 year old adult as a "young woman", which I can only assume is an attempt to excuse her from not doing more than she is. However she has had more than 10 years to get used to the idea of being a Royal wife, and she's been one for nearly four year now. So why isn't she performing more royal engagements and doing more charitable work. She's really not setting a good example for the (truly) young women who look up to her.

She's really not setting a good example for the (truly) young women who look up to her.

Of course she is! She shows that you can CHOOSE what you think is best for you and your family, despite pressure from the outside world (media for example) to do otherwise.

There is no excuse for a 93yr old man who nearly died a year ago to be working harder than a woman 60yrs younger than him.
I am so sick of this notion that Kate can't work more because she has a baby; it's an insult to workingworking mom's everywhere. As Roslyn stated mothers and pregnant women work all the time unlews they have complications that require bed rest. Kate was sick, now she isnt.
She doesn't have to do as much as Princess Anne or Charles but she definitely needs to do more. These numbers look like she has only worked 76 days out of 365. Harry and William don't do a lot of duties bUT they both have other jobs and have worked consistently for years, neither which is true for Kate. She can be a full.time mom and still do more engagements than she does.

Last edited:
I, for one, certainly realise how old Kate is compared with Philip. She is 32 and he is 93, and I think the relative age of the two people in question is precisely the reason for the criticism of her lack of work.

Yes, she's breeding at the moment, but pregnancy, of itself, is not an illness, and many women hold down responsible full-time jobs throughout their pregnancies. She's had some pregnancy-related ill-health and no-one expects her to do anything when she can't hold down food and is likely to be spending half the day vomiting, but she seems to be over that now. And she has a full time nanny to help with George and I'm betting she has help with the housework and cooking, too, so it's not as though she is a full time housewife and mother with no-one to help her and free her for other things. So why isn't she doing, and - just as importantly - being seen to be doing, more?

Oh, and 32 is not young. For some reason there is a tendency to refer to this 32 year old adult as a "young woman", which I can only assume is an attempt to excuse her from not doing more than she is. However she has had more than 10 years to get used to the idea of being a Royal wife, and she's been one for nearly four year now. So why isn't she performing more royal engagements and doing more charitable work. She's really not setting a good example for the (truly) young women who look up to her.

There is no excuse for a 93yr old man who nearly died a year ago to be working harder than a woman 60yrs younger than him.
I am so sick of this notion that Kate can't work more because she has a baby; it's an insult to workingworking mom's everywhere. As Roslyn stated mothers and pregnant women work all the time unlews they have complications that require bed rest. Kate was sick, now she isnt.
She doesn't have to do as much as Princess Anne or Charles but she definitely needs to do more. These numbers look like she has only worked 76 days out of 365. Harry and William don't do a lot of duties bUT they both have other jobs and have worked consistently for years, neither which is true for Kate. She can be a full.time mom and still do more engagements than she does.

> Whilst I think she (and William) can do more, I think the current level of public engagements has probably been "sanctioned" by HM and the PoW.

> I don't think this is about her having a baby. I think this is about William and Catherine still being "part-time", and leaving plenty of space for Charles and Camilla. BP and CH probably do not want the limelight to be totally taken away from the next King and Queen by the generation to follow.

> IMO, if HM wanted the Cambridge's to carry out more engagements, they would!

> I also think the DoE does the number of engagements he does not because he has to, but because he wants to. He could happily reduce the level of engagements further substantially, but I just don't think he wants to.

Kate just isn't any mother. She is in a position where she can choose to focus on family ahead of royal engagements. Just like Harry puts the army ahead of his royal engagements. Its all about choice.

I must say I like Kate even more than I did now that I see what kerfuffle she is causing with feminists

IMO, she has to carry the events with less time. She's pregnant and maybe she wants to take time to george too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom