Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well letizia works pretyt much IMO! We can see her every day! and doing even 3 egagements per day... Yes, she is the queen but she worked a lot even before...
3 engagements amounts to about 3 hours of work. Sorry but that's hardly a lot.

What evidence does the readying of KP provide? If William does nothing until he becomes king he was always going to have both a London residence as well as a country home.

The Cambridge threads are just bizarre. I've never witnessed more people claim to have no interest in a couple and yet constantly comment on all things Cambridge.

There are many reasons ysrthe Queen is limiting William's engagements. There are first and foremost issues around funding. Charles foots a large chunk of the bill for W&K's public life and money is tight.

Another reason is the Queen may think William should wait his turn, he is after all in the third generation of the Firm.

He is serving his country in a real and tangible way flying an air ambulance.

I know one thing is clear, William respects both his father and his Queen. He has and always will do whatever is required of him and IMO its pretty shabby that he gets thrown under the bus by certain people in order to push their own favourite royal's profile.

I think the issue about funding is crucial. It costs a lot of money to fund royal events.

the Queens annual income is spent up with her own work, the running of the royal household and maintaining royal buildings, including BP, Windsor, the private buildings of KP etc. She is using her private income to fund royal duties carried out by Glos Kents etc.

Charles puts the majority of his income into his charitable causes. In order to fund William and Catherine working full time,this would be reduced. What is the point of that? Give less to charity in order to pander to ££ hungry media?

BRF are carrying out c3500-4000 events a yr. No one currently carrying out royal duties looks as if they are giving them up any time soon - and why should they? Just so some people get to see Catherine instead? That smacks of ageism and disloyalty - HMQ doesnt do that.

Catherine is part time; he is going to fly an air ambulance thus serving the public. There is no point in comparing them with any other royal couple because their position is unique.

And Ive thought about William waiting his turn - that makes sense and is probably why these decisions have been made.

The only thing I really think was a mistake is the "year off" plus its mismanaged announcement. Truly a big mistake.

During his "year off" he did over 130 engagements and a major royal tour down under.

> Prince William participated in the visit of the President of South Korea as well. From memory, he took the President to the unveiling of a memorial statue.

> The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge also met with President Obama and his wife when they were in the UK on a state visit in 2011, shortly after the royal wedding.

What evidence might that be?

Yeah, but they didn't fully participate in those State Visits. They are taking a much more important role in the Singapore State Visit but we're told they won't go to the State Banquet.

The evidence is that they are needed for State events and royal tours. They attended their first reception for the Royal Diplomatic Corps, the Queen is sending the younger royals abroad for special events and they will now take a major role in welcoming the Head of States on State Visits. William & Catherine are needed and they should be seen helping the elderly Queen and Duke of Edinburgh. It's not just about wanting to see them on magazine covers and tons of pictures of them. It's about them being seen performing official duties more often and not disappearing for weeks and months at a time.

During his "year off" he did over 130 engagements and a major royal tour down under.

He is half of those engagements were overseas (more or less). In the Uk there is a perception that he is lazy nd/or avoiding royal life. The year off story was not well managed with the Uk media.

Back to Catherine. If posters are going to make comparisons, these should be done by role. So valid to see how Letizia is doing v Maxima or Matilde as they are 3 new Queens. Could compare HMQ with K Harald or Margarethe as long term monarchs. Fair to compare Mary with Mette-Marit as CPs.

Cambridges are not undertaking any of those roles.

I think the issue about funding is crucial. It costs a lot of money to fund royal events.

the Queens annual income is spent up with her own work, the running of the royal household and maintaining royal buildings, including BP, Windsor, the private buildings of KP etc. She is using her private income to fund royal duties carried out by Glos Kents etc.

Charles puts the majority of his income into his charitable causes. In order to fund William and Catherine working full time,this would be reduced. What is the point of that? Give less to charity in order to pander to ££ hungry media?

BRF are carrying out c3500-4000 events a yr. No one currently carrying out royal duties looks as if they are giving them up any time soon - and why should they? Just so some people get to see Catherine instead? That smacks of ageism and disloyalty - HMQ doesnt do that.

Catherine is part time; he is going to fly an air ambulance thus serving the public. There is no point in comparing them with any other royal couple because their position is unique.

And Ive thought about William waiting his turn - that makes sense and is probably why these decisions have been made.

The only thing I really think was a mistake is the "year off" plus its mismanaged announcement. Truly a big mistake.

Perhaps I'm the only one who think some of those funds should be provided for the Cambridge's.

I agree, The "year off" wasn't managed very well. I'm now going to direct my comments to the right forum.

Dman I don't understand. One post you say its up to the Queen to give them more responsibility and then in a different post you blame W&K the Queen isn't giving them more to do.

Again I get very sceptical when W&K get singled out from the entire family as the only people not doing what they're told. Everyone from Charles to Prince Michael of Kent listen to the Queen but not William.

Harryites and republicans pushing their agenda.

Why does Kate get compared to current Crown Princesses and Queen consorts when Britain already has a Queen consort in waiting in the name of Camilla.

Yeah, but they didn't fully participate in those State Visits. They are taking a much more important role in the Singapore State Visit but we're told they won't go to the State Banquet.

To me, the role William is playing in the Singapore state visit is not particularly different to the one he played for the S Korean state visit. Tjis time, he will pick up and accompany the visiting dignitaries from their hotel to the official welcome. On the S Korean visit, he picked up and accompanied the President to the unveiling of a memorial.

The evidence is that they are needed for State events and royal tours. They attended their first reception for the Royal Diplomatic Corps

How is this evidence? How are they needed for state events. They attend state events, but are really not needed. The Queen, DoE, C & C fulfil those roles adequately.

William & Catherine are needed and they should be seen helping the elderly Queen and Duke of Edinburgh.

The PoW and the Duchess of Cornwall fulfil that role. Further, HM and the DoE are also supported by their other children, when required.

It's about them being seen performing official duties more often and not disappearing for weeks and months at a time.

Why? They are not full time royals at the moment, so it is perfectly reasonable for them to attend the important events, and those in support of their charities.

Dman I don't understand. One post you say its up to the Queen to give them more responsibility and then in a different post you blame W&K the Queen isn't giving them more to do.

Again I get very sceptical when W&K get singled out from the entire family as the only people not doing what they're told. Everyone from Charles to Prince Michael of Kent listen to the Queen but not William.

Harryites and republicans pushing their agenda.

Why does Kate get compared to current Crown Princesses and Queen consorts when Britain already has a Queen consort in waiting in the name of Camilla.

It is down to the Queen giving them more responsibility and I think she's doing just that now but before I didn't see much evidence for that.

I think everyone would like to see them doing more official engagements. Her current condition aside, I think Catherine could take on more roles. Military colonelcy's would allow her to form a more personal role and relationship with regiments. Also it would be good for her to take on presidencies and a few more patronages. I think she's gained a great deal of confidence in her royal life to do so.

He is half of those engagements were overseas (more or less). In the Uk there is a perception that he is lazy nd/or avoiding royal life. The year off story was not well managed with the Uk media.

Back to Catherine. If posters are going to make comparisons, these should be done by role. So valid to see how Letizia is doing v Maxima or Matilde as they are 3 new Queens. Could compare HMQ with K Harald or Margarethe as long term monarchs. Fair to compare Mary with Mette-Marit as CPs.

Cambridges are not undertaking any of those roles.

In the UK there is a perception he is lazy? Is this a man on the street view? He is very popular in opinion polls or do you have other evidence that William is viewed as lazy aside from people who have an agenda

...He is serving his country in a real and tangible way flying an air ambulance...
I don't believe he's doing that yet. I don't even think he has started the training.

Anyone know what's going on with William and his helicopters, or was that another red herring?

You can't say that Kate works like Letizia, Mary or Maxima, not at all! This is pretty evident!

Of course it's evident. But it's also evident that Letizia and Máxima are Queens and Mary is a Crown Princess, which is quite different from Catherine, who's the wife of the second in line to Throne. The work of Crown Princess Mary can only be compared to the work of The Duchess of Cornwall and the work of Queen Máxima and Queen Letizia can only be compared to the work of The Duke of Edinburgh.

I wonder why people insist in comparing The Duchess of Cambridge with Queens and Crown Princesses, can't they notice the obvious fact that they aren't in the same position?

Last edited:
To me, the role William is playing in the Singapore state visit is not particularly different to the one he played for the S Korean state visit. Tjis time, he will pick up and accompany the visiting dignitaries from their hotel to the official welcome. On the S Korean visit, he picked up and accompanied the President to the unveiling of a memorial.

How is this evidence? How are they needed for state events. They attend state events, but are really not needed. The Queen, DoE, C & C fulfil those roles adequately.

The PoW and the Duchess of Cornwall fulfil that role. Further, HM and the DoE are also supported by their other children, when required.

Why? They are not full time royals at the moment, so it is perfectly reasonable for them to attend the important events, and those in support of their charities.

Than you. Much better than I can express myself. I agree with your post Muriel

:previous: we know that he has to take 14 exams before the end of the yr. I assume that once he gets thru those, he will be working as a pilot. I am guessing that these exams are about training for a different aircraft.

what is not good is that we found out because he told an individual member of the public about this and en that conversation was reported. I wish that he would just let the public know what he was doing.

Re: The Queen ordering everyone about: Just because we are told something does not make it a fact. I personally don't believe Will takes orders from the Queen or anyone.

I think that the Queen's will went a lot farther back in the day, but I'm not sure it does anymore.

Personally, I feel it in my mystic bones that the levels of stuffs and what they do and don't do are planned and laid out during The Way Ahead committee meetings. The whole family, high muckety muck advisors and such all sit down and map it out.

Could be that Kate's trip to Malta was planned over the summer meeting and at that time she had no clue she'd be pregnant even.

Of course my mystic bones may be mistaken and its only a thunderstorm in the air but that's my take on it.

Last edited:
I must be in an alternate world. William is now a lazy royal. What happens next, Camilla shoots to the top of popularity? If William is lazy after getting a degree from uni, 8 years of RAF service and regularly performing royal duties than perhaps the monarchy should just end with HMQ

You can't say that Kate works like Letizia, Mary or Maxima, not at all! This is pretty evident!

But no one is saying that she works as much as them. And frankly she wouldn't because shes not the heir's wife, or the Queen consort. Those women will simply do more due to their position. But that wasn't what we were discussing, we were talking about how royals don't actually do a lot of work. I mean three hours a day is hardly what I call hard work.

Most of them don't work hard, I agree with this. I also agree that for the most part, their "work" is an illusion - they're hardly saddled with any of the obligations most of us have at our jobs.

Exactly.

Like I said before, it's funny that William gets called lazy when he's one of the only ones that has a real job. He's actually working 8 hours a day as opposed to the 2 or 3 that the royals normally work.

I know people want to see Kate and William out and about, but they aren't next in line...Charles and Camilla are the ones that should be front and center right now. Once Charles takes over, William and Kate will step up and we'll start to see much more of them.

Last edited:
So whats the solution. The BRF will soon start resembling a middle eastern kingdom. We'll have one major court at BP, another major court at Clarence House and still another major court with W&K at KP full-time

When does George need to become full time?

Duchess of Cambridge Duties and Roles

The public don't want to see them, it the media and people on forums like this that keeps whining about William becoming a full time royal.

Not sure what public you're looking at, but the British public want to see them. Also, people on forums are the public as well.

Why is it an excuse?? Have you spoken with the Queen? I know I haven't so I can only go with the known facts. William takes his orders from the Queen. Full stop. Whether he enjoys being a royal I can't say but at the end of the day he just gets on with it.

Takes orders from The Queen, that woman's his grandmother not his Sargent. If William wanted to do duties he could.

So why is William the only member of the Firm that gets this treatment from a certain segment of the online community.

William isn't the only one getting this treatment; but this is a thread actually pertaining to Catherine, so this discussion should probably be moved. If you go to a Henry or Camilla thread you could find a similar discussion.

There are many reasons the Queen is limiting William's engagements. There are first and foremost issues around funding. Charles foots a large chunk of the bill for W&K's public life and money is tight.

Another reason is the Queen may think William should wait his turn, he is after all in the third generation of the Firm.

I'm pretty sure you previously said you don't know what The Queen thinks. Whilst funding might be an issue; William has been around for 32 years so he and his potential family were always going to be a thought.

THe is serving his country in a real and tangible way flying an air ambulance.

I know one thing is clear, William respects both his father and his Queen. He has and always will do whatever is required of him and IMO its pretty shabby that he gets thrown under the bus by certain people in order to push their own favourite royal's profile.

Air Ambulance is a fantastic avenue William has chosen, to be closer to his family and be away from the spotlight. If he'd chosen that avenue straight from his Air Force career; I would have been happy for him and his family. But the mismanagement of the past year has added to the Cambridges profile of just doing what they can to avoid the limelight as much as they could.

Frankly the way you keep saying "certain people" is getting rude; if you wish to call people out in their opinions on an opinion based forums at least do it by username. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion; and yes everyone has a favourite royal. Mine happens to be Princess Mary of Denmark. I've followed the BRF since I was a child; and it's my royal family.
I love to see them and go to as many events as I can; I saw Catherine, William and Henry at the Tour de France start near my home town. Just because I have opinions on the Cambridges, basically that I think we should see more of them, doesn't make me a bad person.

So whats the solution. The BRF will soon start resembling a middle eastern kingdom. We'll have one major court at BP, another major court at Clarence House and still another major court with W&K at KP full-time

When does George need to become full time?

Little bit OTT with the George comment.

Last edited:
Funding for the royals is based on formulae that doesn't account for how many working royals there are.

The Sovereign Grant doesn't take any of this into account. William doesn't personally receive any money from the government at all to carry out engagements. He must rely on his father or his Queen.

I am probably alone in this, but I don't think William or Katherine have a duty to tell the public everything they are doing when it doesn't pertain to public events. Is William now suppose to have his air ambulance tests posted on the gate at KP? Is Katherine suppose to call the media to let them know her plans to met sister for lunch?
Of course they are invited to State events... 1. people want to met them, 2. it is a form of training for them for the time they are the head of state. If King George had lived almost as long his his wife, then Charles would be in the same position as William today. But instead Charles became the heir as a small child and so his transition into a full time royal was faster.

^^^Aside from the facetiousness, of course I don't think they have to tell the public anything when they're not on duty. It's just that they are never on duty. As for William, it would be nice to see him accomplish something he has set out to do in a timeframe at least close to what other applicants/hires would have to follow. When he completes his training, I would be glad to applaud a post on the gate of KP. With him taking so long, they probably don't even need another pilot, but were just being nice to Willliam.

They've been on duty plenty of times. Have we forgotten all of their engagements and tours?

His training is the exact same as every other applicant/hire. So I'm not understanding how he's considered to be taking too long.

The announcement was made 3 months ago and he was to start flying in December. That's cutting it close for his 14 exams.

Did he complete his agricultural course?

Sorry, I went off topic. This is Kate's thread.

The announcement stated he will start flying in 2015. He needs a civilian license

The announcement was made 3 months ago and he was to start flying in December. That's cutting it close for his 14 exams.

Did he complete his agricultural course?

Sorry, I went off topic. This is Kate's thread.

I'm also off topic - William complete the 10 wk course.

The announcement stated that he would start training in September, which according to royal reporters, he has done. He will go through 5 months of training and 14 exams. So he won't be flying until the Spring.

Yes, he completed his agricultural course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom