Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this thread. It's better than a soap opera (or my work)... :D

Exactly what skills did Diana have when she married Charles?

Camilla raised 2 children and supported her first husband.

As Sophie discovered, trying to have a career while married to a royal got a lot of unwelcome scrutiny by the media of her clients,and allegations that she used her connections to further her clients' interests.
'

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Im sorry did anyone say Kate needs to have a career? Don't believe I said that, nor did I say Diana had any skills before she married Charles. But unlike Kate she was a teenager.
KateMiddy, I agree the problem is becoming that she has no interests other than William, no ambition to accomplish anything other than marrying William. It is not one thing but a combination of things from over the years. I always hated people calling her Waity Katy, I defended her and her choices and believed it was hard for her to have a real job despite working at the family business. But like I said I am starting to see pattern with her.
I don't know if it was this thread but some people have brought up how they have been attacked for not adoring the Dk and Duchs, if you disagree with opinions then do so, but stop using the "your jealous or hateful" rant. It really adds nothing to the conversation and I don't think it's particularly nice to assume things about people you have the most minimal contact with.

Last edited:
Im sorry did anyone say Kate needs to have a career? Don't believe I said that, nor did I say Diana had any skills before she married Charles. But unlike Kate she was a teenager.
KateMiddy, I agree the problem is becoming that she has no interests other than William, no ambition to accomplish anything other than marrying William. It is not one thing but a combination of things from over the years. I always hated people calling her Waity Katy, I defended her and her choices and believed it was hard for her to have a real job despite working at the family business. But like I said I am starting to see pattern with her.
I don't know if it was this thread but some people have brought up how they have been attacked for not adoring the Dk and Duchs, if you disagree with opinions then do so, but stop using the "your jealous or hateful" rant. It really adds nothing to the conversation and I don't think it's particularly nice to assume things about people you have the most minimal contact with.

Exactly , I have always been the first to support kate and admit it must be hard to go to work while paparazzi is following you 24/7 , or that it takes time for a person to get used to being a royal and then after 2 yrs now it's just come down to "leave her alone she is a stay at home mother and it's a honourable profession" excuse me but as much as I agree with that sentiment , marrying Prince William wasn't the best way to ensure she could fulfil her stay at home mum role/ambitions . And since this is what people often bring up while talking about kate this is what ends up being discussed .
There is flexibility to do work if kate wanted to , now and pre marriage but she made her choice , that was fine till she married William but that didnt change one thing about her relationship with work/making a difference or just contributing to society . She is living in TP funded homes and doesnt feel the need to do anything , that is where I draw the line .
Kate isnt a aristocrats wife or a socialite , she is a public servant and she certainly made her choice when she agreed to be with william .
Re: the comment It was a direct personal attack , name calling and all , I'm sure the forum has rules and regulations against such behaviour but I sure hope this is not how things are run here , however it shows who really is being hateful . A very bold statement to make in defense of a person who doesnt give two hoots about her. Ive gone through some of the posts by that member and it seems to me that most of her post borderline on harassment and insults . Thats not a very educated way to conduct a discussion on any topic .

Last edited:
I think Kate might get more involved with charities regarding children such as the very ill kids handling with palliative cares... I won' say much more because every word said against them is publicly attacked

Gosh, I'd better stay away from this thread for a while:ohmy:

i think she needs to know the country and the people first, so she needs more events to go.

I think the conversation has spun out of control. Everyone knows that Catherine worked several jobs before marrying William and she works now. She do a great deal behind the scenes as well. Trouble is it's not really talked about. Some of the royal reporters and correspondents have pointed out that the royal Court Circular and palace press offices haven't published the meetings Catherine conducts on behalf of her charities. We hear about the annual Royal Foundation Forum but everything else she do is glossed over, unless it's a public official engagement. I think it presents a problem as to letting everyone know what she's doing. They published one meeting but haven't done it since.

When I talk about what's next for Catherine, I'm not just talking about her conducting charitable engagements because we know she's in constant contact with them. I mean what's next for her in royal roles. The biggest job she's about to take on is on behalf of the Queen in Malta. We don't know the details of the trip yet but it's a big deal. I'm wondering what will come next? presidencies, patronages, colonelcy's? I think she can take on more roles and she seem to enjoy doing public duties. Her confidence has grown a lot since she first came on the royal scene.

:previous: good post. The direction this thread has taken is one of the reasons why this forum is becoming u pleasant.

constructive criticism is fine but its going way beyond that.

I'm gone

Enough....with the personal attacks...the constant comparisons (Kate is Kate...not Camilla, Sophie or Diana) and the repetitive postings.

I think the conversation has spun out of control. Everyone knows that Catherine worked several jobs before marrying William and she works now. She do a great deal behind the scenes as well. Trouble is it's not really talked about. Some of the royal reporters and correspondents have pointed out that the royal Court Circular and palace press offices haven't published the meetings Catherine conducts on behalf of her charities. We hear about the annual Royal Foundation Forum but everything else she do is glossed over, unless it's a public official engagement. I think it presents a problem as to letting everyone know what she's doing. They published one meeting but haven't done it since.

When I talk about what's next for Catherine, I'm not just talking about her conducting charitable engagements because we know she's in constant contact with them. I mean what's next for her in royal roles. The biggest job she's about to take on is on behalf of the Queen in Malta. We don't know the details of the trip yet but it's a big deal. I'm wondering what will come next? presidencies, patronages, colonelcy's? I think she can take on more roles and she seem to enjoy doing public duties. Her confidence has grown a lot since she first came on the royal scene.

They do this with harry too , a lot of the Invictus games planning isnt posted or given a mention , I think they should start mentioning it at least so people can hear about it , because behind the scenes work is work nevertheless and it shouldn't go unmentioned .
I do hope we see her taking a more active role :flowers: that's the best way to put an end to criticism , by proving the critics wrong ;)

Everyone knows that Catherine worked several jobs before marrying William

What jobs did Catherine do before marrying William? I am aware she worked part-time as an accessories buyer at Jigsaw for about 12 months and I know she was a part of her family's business but I didn't know of any other jobs.

She do a great deal behind the scenes as well. Trouble is it's not really talked about. Some of the royal reporters and correspondents have pointed out that the royal Court Circular and palace press offices haven't published the meetings Catherine conducts on behalf of her charities. We hear about the annual Royal Foundation Forum but everything else she do is glossed over, unless it's a public official engagement. I think it presents a problem as to letting everyone know what she's doing. They published one meeting but haven't done it since.

You've said this before as if it only applies to Catherine. It applies to all the Royals not just to her. They all do work behind the scenes that doesn't get reported.

Pre marriage jobs vary depending on the site you check , for eg some places say she was a catalogue designer , some say photographer and marketing exec . Or all of these ... it depends . We wont know if she really did these jobs or something completely different . During the engagement interview she mentions the family business so I'd say she was helping out as much as she wanted to , but it would have been nice if she made a mention of the work she did in the business without going into it too much she could have named one or two of her tasks , it would have put an end to the speculation . That was her time to speak out and she chose not to , she should have cleared her name then and there , because I know after working hard if someone said those things about me I would defend my work instantly at any chance I get , she didn't seem too keen. But we'll never know .

Let's be honest what skills does she have? Smiling and looking pretty so far. Even William is a skilled pilot seeming to use his univ degree. Even Charlene who isn't a superb role model has a skill before becoming a Princess, James and Pippa have skills as well, Kate's skill...

Catherine has pretty good 'people' skills, and I'd say it's extremely important for someone in her position. People enjoy interacting with her, and that's not something to sneeze at. I honestly wish I had her 'people' skills, and confidence.

This is silly...Kate doesn't need to have a specific skill although I am sure she has many. If nothing else she appears to have excellent skills at being a mother. That is the most important job a woman can do.

LaRae

Absolutely! It takes patience and dedication to be a full-time parent, and not everyone can do. Even with help, at the end of the day, that child is YOURS and therefore your responsibility. Catherine certainly understands that, and even though she has a nanny, she still takes the role of a primary caregiver. For the love, I do wish people would just see the positives, instead of always harping on the negatives.

Why wouldn't a woman want a career? And stay at home moms don't have the help she has.

Let me tell you something; I have a career. I'm a special education teacher, and now let me also tell you that after working with children in one form or another since the age of sixteen, I realized that the best place for me would be to stay at home, and use my skills to educate my own kids, rather than waste time with unruly kids, rude parents, and obnoxious administrators. Perhaps Catherine realized the same thing after she worked for her family, and for Jigsaw. Nothing wrong with that. I only wish that I had her resources so that I could give up my career, and put my skills to better use.

Catherine worked in her family's business. Just like the Queen's children work in their family's business.

And as for how the Cambridges are living their lives right now, they have an obligation to stay married, or else there will be two generations of divorced monarchs. If it were easy to be married to a royal, then Diana, Mark, and Sarah would still be members of the family. The Queen saw her sister divorce (and live pretty unhappily ever after), and there have always been rumors that
HM and the DoE have had rocky bits in their marriage.

Another consideration is Catherine's health. She had a hard early pregnancy, and she may have another one sometime soon. They are doing what works for them.

What jobs did Catherine do before marrying William? I am aware she worked part-time as an accessories buyer at Jigsaw for about 12 months and I know she was a part of her family's business but I didn't know of any other jobs.

You've said this before as if it only applies to Catherine. It applies to all the Royals not just to her. They all do work behind the scenes that doesn't get reported.

I believe Catherine worked during her time at St. Andrews. Yes, she worked at Jigsaw and Party Pieces as well. She mentioned in the engagement interview that she worked hard too. So to gone on and on about her not working before her marriage wasn't true then and it's not true now.

I think Kate might get more involved with charities regarding children such as the very ill kids handling with palliative cares... I won' say much more because every word said against them is publicly attacked

Gosh, I'd better stay away from this thread for a while:ohmy:

Im wondering the same as well, just leave until the anger dies down.
All members of the RF work behind the scenes, they also happen to be seen working as well. They all have at least one job, the ones who are PG royals hAve 2; the only one who consistently does as little as possible is Kate. If she took a class or gathered local children to her home to teach them art, photography, art history...or volunteered at a museum 3 days a week, it would at least be something.

Maybe there could be a separate thread...sort of Why We Love The Cambridges, or Let's Hear It for William and Catherine for posters who cannot bear seeing them criticized? Posters who aren't crazy about them could agree not to come into the thread.:cool:

I think it's unfair that some people feel intimidated, or discouraged from expressing dissenting opinions.

I believe Catherine worked during her time at St. Andrews. Yes, she worked at Jigsaw and Party Pieces as well. She mentioned in the engagement interview that she worked hard too. So to gone on and on about her not working before her marriage wasn't true then and it's not true now.

Thank you for explaining Dman. BTW I asked because I genuinely didn't know, not because I was trying to be argumentative.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Catherine worked in her family's business. Just like the Queen's children work in their family's business.

And as for how the Cambridges are living their lives right now, they have an obligation to stay married, or else there will be two generations of divorced monarchs. If it were easy to be married to a royal, then Diana, Mark, and Sarah would still be members of the family. The Queen saw her sister divorce (and live pretty unhappily ever after), and there have always been rumors that
HM and the DoE have had rocky bits in their marriage.

Another consideration is Catherine's health. She had a hard early pregnancy, and she may have another one sometime soon. They are doing what works for them.

I will make one post on the state of the Cambridges' marriage and one post only.

These are two people that took years and years to build up a relationship and I think over that time, they both got a very good glimpse of what life would be like married in a royal fishbowl.

Even in the strongest of marriages, there will be rocky bits. There will be "I love you but I really don't like you much right now" days and times of wanting to use the proverbial frying pan. No couple in the world is able to get along 100% of the time.

A couple's marriage is something unique just for them and only has room for two people. Unless you're one of the couple, you have no clue on the state of that marriage and like speculating on pregnancy which is also up to the couple, they're the only ones that have a clue in the world what is going on or not.

Is this all of a sudden the WnK marriage/relationship thread? Add that to the list of threads that should be made along with "We love Will and Kate, no dissention allowed"

Im wondering the same as well, just leave until the anger dies down.
All members of the RF work behind the scenes, they also happen to be seen working as well. They all have at least one job, the ones who are PG royals hAve 2; the only one who consistently does as little as possible is Kate. If she took a class or gathered local children to her home to teach them art, photography, art history...or volunteered at a museum 3 days a week, it would at least be something.

I'm so confused by this notion that Kate doesn't work. She in fact does do royal duties. Also, she volunteers with the Scouts.

Last edited:
Thank you for explaining Dman. BTW I asked because I genuinely didn't know, not because I was trying to be argumentative.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

You weren't. You were asking a well thought out question about something to do about Kate's past work experience because you didn't know about it. You weren't trying to stir the pot or bring the thread down yet again by the tone of your question.

Sad how refreshing that is around here. :(

As far getting fed up w/the CC/Press Office about how they do such a....Can't use the term I'd like to use, but it's two words that begin w/the letter "p"....job of covering *all* the Royals, in this day and age there is no excuse for not doing that anymore because it's only enforcing the illusion of "lazy Royals" or "Blood suckers of Public Money who don't do enough in return". The reason Kate's getting nailed so much however is part not knowing all she's doing behind the scenes, which is the fault of how things are done CC/Press Office wise and part the Honeymoon period is officially over w/the Media and now time to attack and tear down. Which in this day of Social Media and the Net is easier to do.

Does anyone else remember seeing references to that event at that school a month ago, that the M-PACT Program came from an idea of Kate's? That was all that was said about it though and I know I was thinking "Really? Would love more info about that." We should be hearing that too, as it would certainly show Kate's has indeed been doing more than most people know, but unless there's an all mighty shake up in how things are done in the Press Office, I can't see it happening sadly.

Which means the attacks and slime shooting will continue. :(

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Unfortunately the media/people choose not to focus on it, but yes she did help launch the M-Pact Plus Program.

Her Royal Highness was joined by comedian John Bishop, with whom she launched the charity effort last year, and she spoke with people involved in a pilot programme for the school-based project M-PACT (Moving Parents and Children Together) Plus.

The initiative, funded by The Royal Foundation and Comic Relief, and delivered by charities Place2Be and Action on Addiction, of which The Duchess is a Patron, aims to provide early support for schoolchildren affected by a parent's drug or alcohol misuse.
Bishop said The Duchess is "genuinely committed" to the issue, and hailed the involvement of The Royal Foundation.

Last edited:
I will make one post on the state of the Cambridges' marriage and one post only.

These are two people that took years and years to build up a relationship and I think over that time, they both got a very good glimpse of what life would be like married in a royal fishbowl.

Even in the strongest of marriages, there will be rocky bits. There will be "I love you but I really don't like you much right now" days and times of wanting to use the proverbial frying pan. No couple in the world is able to get along 100% of the time.

A couple's marriage is something unique just for them and only has room for two people. Unless you're one of the couple, you have no clue on the state of that marriage and like speculating on pregnancy which is also up to the couple, they're the only ones that have a clue in the world what is going on or not.

Perhaps you misinterpreted what I was trying to say. I think that they and the POW and HM are committed to having a strong marriage and family life and that that is reflected in how they choose to live their lives right now. I'm not speculating on an eventual pregnancy, just presuming that they will take that into account in planning how their lives are to be lived in the short-term future. I assume that they are quite happy and are planning to remain that way.

I find myself puzzled by all the carping about Catherine's supposed lack of work. I lived through the feminist revolution and the whole concept was supposed to give women the right to choose how to live their lives. Here so many people are criticizing Catherine and she has as much right to make her choices as anyone else. Since when does anyone get to make her choices.

Maybe there could be a separate thread...sort of Why We Love The Cambridges, or Let's Hear It for William and Catherine for posters who cannot bear seeing them criticized? Posters who aren't crazy about them could agree not to come into the thread.:cool:

I think it's unfair that some people feel intimidated, or discouraged from expressing dissenting opinions.

If the criticisms were reasonable, discussion would be much easier. (For instance, I understand the whole point about her skirt mishaps happening several times.)

But this thread (and the others for William and their residences) have contained the following whoppers and head-scratchers, among others:
- they're lazy and have openly disrespected the Queen
- they have received more property than the Queen's children and grandchildren.
- Kate has no purpose, and why would being a stay-at-home mom be considered a purpose anyway?

Some of these are ridiculous-others are completely insulting. So, for me at least, that's what I object to.

If the criticisms were reasonable, discussion would be much easier. (For instance, I understand the whole point about her skirt mishaps happening several times.)

But this thread (and the others for William and their residences) have contained the following whoppers and head-scratchers, among others:
- Kate has no purpose, and why would being a stay-at-home mom be considered a purpose anyway?

Some of these are ridiculous-others are completely insulting. So, for me at least, that's what I object to.

Thank you for explaining the differences between actual criticism about something legitimately worrisome and the on going venom that seems to be getting worse for some reason.

Sadly, I foresee a "This is a Message Board where we're entitled to express our opinions" posting from one of those who just do not get it. :sad:

casualfan, in theory what you are saying is true. But in practice it's a far, far different story. I have praised the DoC's many beautiful outfits. I've made comments about her adorable baby. I've expressed relief that there is an anti-Kardashian for the press to focus on. But the only time, and I do mean THE ONLY TIME I ever get a response to something I post in a Cambridge thread is when I don't express gushing admiration for them.

If I say that Kate should get control of her skirt blow up issues, it's insinuated that I am jealous and what does it matter anyway since she has great legs and is wearing a thong.

If I express disappointment over what I feel is a lax attitude toward protocol, I am called "irrational" and "filled with hate" and subjected to unfunny satire by someone who fancies themselves a wit.

Frankly I am tired of it. If you or anyone else really want to see what irrational, jealous hatred of the Royals really looks like, send me a PM and I'll direct you to a couple of sites. This place doesn't even come close I assure you!

This is supposed to be a public message board with an exchange of opinions, not a fan site. There are plenty of those on the Internet for posters who are interested.

Last edited:
There are very few on this particular boarding who can even be labeled as hating on this couple. Most express disappoint and disillusion with them; but ray is s there ever anything close to hate or jealousy. I could also diretc you to other sites where there is true hatred for Kate and William, I could even give names but I won't do that. There is also the option of the ignore button as well.

casualfan, in theory what you are saying is true. But in practice it's a far, far different story. I have praised the DoC's many beautiful outfits. I've made comments about her adorable baby. I've expressed relief that there is an anti-Kardashian for the press to focus on. But the only time, and I do mean THE ONLY TIME I ever get a response to something I post in a Cambridge thread is when I don't express gushing admiration for them.

If I say that Kate should get control of her skirt blow up issues, it's insinuated that I am jealous and what does it matter anyway since she has great legs and is wearing a thong.

If I express disappointment over what I feel is a lax attitude toward protocol, I am called "irrational" and "filled with hate" and subjected to unfunny satire by someone who fancies themselves a wit.

Frankly I am tired of it. If you or anyone else really want to see what irrational, jealous hatred of the Royals really looks like, send me a PM and I'll direct you to a couple of sites. This place doesn't even come close I assure you!

This is supposed to be a public message board with an exchange of opinions, not a fan site. There are plenty of those on the Internet for posters who are interested.

Moonmaiden, I understand what you are saying but your last sentence should also apply to people who don't agree with the criticism. If I post something negative, someone else has the right to post that they disagree. This is an exchange of opinions.

Although some of Catherine's supporters are a bit strident, a fair review of this thread will reveal that some (not all) of her critics are pretty hostile. Those people who don't understand why she isn't willing to leave her child with the nanny should be prepared to hear from those of us who wished that we had been able to stay home with our children. It's especially galling when someone implies that she only wants to stay home because she is lazy.

The bottom line is that there is disagreement on what type of role Catherine should take on over the next few years. That is what the discussion board is about.

The Cambridges could do with evaluating the work life balance of their lives and comparing it to the general public, who do not enjoy so many perks.

I am sure any criticism will level off now William will be working again. The transition year was a bad idea.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom