Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But then Daniel married an already working Crown Princess while Catherine married a husband who works in 24-hour shifts on a remote island location who can only do some Royal or charity duties on his days off. So if she chooses to be with her husband and not be alone in London representing the RF it's fine with me. In fact, they only want to live this life till 2013 - so I wish the public would grant them this time whole-heartedly.
Totally agree as to Daniel's situation and, more to the point, Victoria is the heir, the Crown Princess, the NEXT reigning Queen of Sweden.

William and Catherine's situation is totally different. William in NOT the heir but the heir's heir. I think all those baying for Catherine to perform to their exacting standards should take a chill pill and get real.

Firstly she is a new bride and as such deserves the right to get used to married life, specifically married to a royal shift worker!

Secondly, the Queen Mother had the opportunity to have start a family and have some degree of "normal" family life. In as far as possible the same was granted to Princess Elizabeth when Philip was posted to Malta. Diana got dumped in the deep end . . . . new husband, new family, new fishbowl life. The BRF are in no hurry to repeat that mistake.

Thirdly, they have more chance of starting a family in a semi-normal situation than under the microscope of the demanding media and forum members. We have only to look at the incredible pressure, stress and downright ugliness of "The Great Swedish Belly Watch" to see how NOT to treat this newly married couple.

I agree, but a lot of people don't see it at way.I have no problem with the two having about a year off so they can get acclimated while they do one or two functions. I want Catherine to be well adjusted but I really think she and William have renewed interest and respect for the monarchy and I hope they use it to their advantage, while the momentum swings their way!

[quote/] Thirdly, they have more chance of starting a family in a semi-normal situation than under the microscope of the demanding media and forum members. We have only to look at the incredible pressure, stress and downright ugliness of "The Great Swedish Belly Watch" to see how NOT to treat this newly married couple.[/QUOTe]

No argument there. I subscribe to the Swedish threads as they are my second favorite monarchy. Boy they are tough. Even pre-engagement they were talking some foul things about Daniel and Victoria and now they are married, they've started in on that too!

Last edited:
Duchess of Cambridge Patron of Starlight

Kate Middleton plans to help girls become princesses for a day

...to become a patron of Starlight, a charity that aims to brighten the lives of seriously ill children...
Full article

...to become a patron of Starlight, a charity that aims to brighten the lives of seriously ill children...
Full article

A nice idea but Starlight already has a royal patron, it's Princess Alexandra. They need to get her to resign before asking Kate to do it!

Unless Princess Alexandra has already given up the patronage and Catherine has taken over. No real surprise to be honest.

If there has been a change, I would imagine it would be announced by Clarence House.

dazzling said:

Full article

Well obviously she and the Duke have been involved with this charity before so it's good she continues to do so....was this the charity that had the roller disco event? Can a charity not have 2 royal patrons?
My guess is she will still help as before but is not actually becoming a patron, obviously William does work with them without being a patron

How wonderful that Kate is helping these kids, and when I went to Starlight's homepage and read about William's meeting with little Lydia, I teared up, and got a lump in my throat!

If Catherine is going to be Patron of Wimbledon, I can't imagine it happening right away.

The Kent branch (Marina, Edward and Katharine) have served that particular organization VERY WELL for many years. I wouldnt expect that they would ditch them for Catherine. But since the Duke is getting older, while he wont' retire just cut back on some of his duties, I can see Catherine picking it up in a couple of years.

But even if she doesn't patronise the event, can't she still attend?

My fingers are crossed for a Murray/Nadal show down which should bring all the Brits out!

Of course she can attend, anyone can.

She can definitely attend the events and has done in the past prior to her marriage.

I hope she attends. On American sports and broadcasting channels they never show the royal box at the games.

Unfortunately she will not be there for the finals as they will be in Canada by then.

And the usual nasty comments from the DM readers. Do these people have nothing else to do but follow stories in the DM on the DOC and snarl????

Catherine's suitability to become Queen?

do you think she has what it takes?

There isn't really any special qualifications, as queen consort she just need to support her husband - I'm suppose we'll see how good she's doing it as time pass.

She's proven she can stand at William's side and support him through and through. Anything else is just icing on the cake...oh and we know she'll look gorgeous in tiaras :)

Why would Catherine "only" be Queen Consort?

A queen consort is the wife of a reigning king. A queen consort usually shares her husband's rank and holds the feminine equivalent of the king's monarchical titles. Historically, queens consort do not share the king regent's political and military powers. Most queens in history were queens consort. A queen regnant is a queen in her own right with all the powers of a monarch, usually becoming queen by inheriting the throne on the death of the previous monarch; they have been far fewer in number.

Thus Catherine will be a Queen Consort (as was Elizabeth, Mary and Alexandra) and Elizabeth II is a Queen Regnant.

A queen consort is the wife of a reigning king. A queen consort usually shares her husband's rank and holds the feminine equivalent of the king's monarchical titles. Historically, queens consort do not share the king regent's political and military powers. Most queens in history were queens consort. A queen regnant is a queen in her own right with all the powers of a monarch, usually becoming queen by inheriting the throne on the death of the previous monarch; they have been far fewer in number.

Thus Catherine will be a Queen Consort (as was Elizabeth, Mary and Alexandra) and Elizabeth II is a Queen Regnant.

I see, so Queen Elizabeth (later the Queen Mum) was technically a Queen Consort but was called Queen Elizabeth when she and George VI ruled?

I see, so Queen Elizabeth (later the Queen Mum) was technically a Queen Consort but was called Queen Elizabeth when she and George VI ruled?

Yes, QEQM was addressed as HM the Queen as a Queen Consort. It will be the same with Queen Camilla and Queen Catherine as Queen Consorts. They have equal rank and titles as their husbands but do not share the duties and such of the King.

so far she seems to have shown good discipline and not prone to making any severe gaffes. She is well educated as only a handful of royals (born or married) have a university degree. Although a university degree does not guarantee that stupid mistakes won't occur but hopefully it will help. She seems to be very articulate for what little I have heard her speak.

I believe she fully understands what she is in for and I have no doubt that Prince william has been educating her for the past few years about what life will be like for her. My instincts tell me that she will do just fine. She could conceivably become a good role model for what of person a royal would look for in a potential spouse that can marry into a royal family but only time will tell.

so far she seems to have shown good discipline and not prone to making any severe gaffes. She is well educated as only a handful of royals (born or married) have a university degree. Although a university degree does not guarantee that stupid mistakes won't occur but hopefully it will help. She seems to be very articulate for what little I have heard her speak.

I believe she fully understands what she is in for and I have no doubt that Prince william has been educating her for the past few years about what life will be like for her. My instincts tell me that she will do just fine. She could conceivably become a good role model for what of person a royal would look for in a potential spouse that can marry into a royal family but only time will tell.

Her real success will come with her ability to be more than just a pretty face or someone with a popular sense of style. I do think that it will a few years to achieve but I am skeptical right now. So far she has only attended the required royal events and a charity gala. I would like to see her do something hands on as I feel that is an area we have yet to know much about her.

It is easy to show up wearing a great dress, even without a stylist, but it takes skill to represent as many charities as princess Anne. If she plans on doing things with just William fine, but I think they could have more impact if she branches out on her own. She was a girlfriend for 8/9 years so she should understand the press and the other rules by now.

All of this is true, but considering she hasn't even been married two months, give her a reasonable chance. Watching William for a number of years is not the same as being part of the family and being royal. It has to be a big adjustment.i am confident we will see much more than a pretty face in time. I don't think William would have married her if she didn't have the same goals and values as he has. Too much is at stake.

All of this is true, but considering she hasn't even been married two months, give her a reasonable chance. Watching William for a number of years is not the same as being part of the family and being royal. It has to be a big adjustment.i am confident we will see much more than a pretty face in time. I don't think William would have married her if she didn't have the same goals and values as he has. Too much is at stake.

I totally agree with that. I think they are on the same page about a lot of things and that will gradually emerge as time goes on.

I think she will do well if she limits herself to what she seems best at doing, looking pretty holding on to Prince William's arm and waving to the public.
That is considered "work" as far as the royal family is concerned.
I would hate that kind of life but so far she seems to be revelling in it, and in that I think she takes after her mother except for the mother's ability to do all this social, I can't think of another word except climbing, and run a business, or is it the father who is really behind the business success of Party Pieces?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom