Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Iluvbertie said:
Her role is simply to be there. William will have a role but Kate actually won't - she will look pretty, have a couple of babies and that really is all her life is from now on. She doesn't have a 'role'.
Fascinating...marvelous...hysterical!!! I'd have to agree that two months after the wedding she won't be serving in any official capacity...yet down the road I can see her having an official role as patron of numerous charities whose missions are aligned with her interest

I also picture her having an official role within the military as a colonel of numerous regiments...perhaps she could have an official role as serving on behalf of the sovereign at certain events within & outside of the commonwealth

But you are right one of her most important roles as a member of the BRF will be to create a happy family with her husband Prince William (Duke of _____ )...or have I taken your comment out of context?

Just a thought, Just a thought

Last edited by a moderator:
I Disagree all you want, but when you ramp it down to the bare bones, Kate has no role. Although she has been on public appearances, I have never thought of Kate (what I have heard of her that isn't romanced) as a willing participant and feel she will do only what she needs to do.

Youre right IMHO in so far as Catherine will have no explicit role in the beginning of her married life. But she will become a member of a family which calls itself "the firm" and so of course are expectations and certain wishes. She should secure the succession as fast as possible and she should be regarded as an asset by the public which will be represented by her.

Apart from that, there is no fixed role. But so many opportunities and chances, occassions and worthy cases for her to choose from. This will be the basis of the part she will play in the British society. I personally are assured she will find her place and play an important part and thus be the one to give content to the "role" of a senior Royal lady.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Her uterus is far more important to the BRF than her shoes.

Of course it is. I think most couples and most families will think that the possibility/chance to have healthy children is more important than the beauty of the bride. Still I think it is crass to reduce a human being to being a brood mare - thats what you seem to imply.

I honestly doubt that in this day and age, with the succession firmly secured through these lots and lots of Royal grand-children, one already a father himself, Catherine is considered only the mother of William's future children. Belgium has shown that the public (and the monarch himself, of course) can love and adore a barren queen and transfer the respect and love from a dead king to his brother who was the next in line. I have no doubt that this would happen in Britain as well if Catherine and William do not get any children and Harry becomes William's heir one day.

If this scenario happens, then I believe the British fashion industry would still be overjoyed to have Catherine as their patron and highest ranking model.

So what does her uterus have in fact to do with her being the fiancée of William and future member of the BRF?

Let me see if I understand the last page and a half (at least the way I have threads set up) of posts. Kate has no role outside of popping out a couple of squalling brats for William, and her main job besides that is to stand around and look pretty, smile, and wave? She can't be expected to take on any projects, or involve herself with any charities and foundations? She's basically a trophy in a dress for William to cart around and have people throw flowers to?

If I didn't know any better, I'd think those opinions came from misogynistic men, not women.

With all due respect, Skippy, can you prove that it is not fact? Let me know!

Firstly, I was not speaking of the engagements before the wedding. Secondly, what evidence do you have that I am incorrect?
------------------------------
I predict we'll reach a stalemate.

No stalemate. An intelligent person knows that when making wild statements such as these that they bear the burden of proof when asked. Not the other way around. You can choose to answer the question, or drop it altogether and cease making similar statements which clearly are your own opinions and not based on facts.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Her uterus is far more important to the BRF than her shoes. I'll not respond any further.

:eek: That comment is completely unnecessary and extremely degrading to any woman.

If Kate did her own makeup for the engagement pics, then there's quite a bit of air brushing going on. She looks flawless in that photo and she does not have great skin. Though, it is the Mail.

As for Kate's role, I have to agree with Iluvbertie. Romancing her position is just that: romancing. Just like them having a big white wedding (ILBertie will disagree with me) after having lived together is a romancing show. Disagree all you want, but when you ramp it down to the bare bones, Kate has no role. Although she has been on public appearances, I have never thought of Kate (what I have heard of her that isn't romanced) as a willing participant and feel she will do only what she needs to do.

I think you have stated my position perfectly.

She could do nothing and the government of the day won't end.

If the Queen does nothing the government couldn't function - hence my view that only the Queen has an 'official role'.

Others make a role for themselves but they don't have to do so if they don't want to.

:eek: That comment is completely unnecessary and extremely degrading to any woman.

And yet that was how Diana and Philip described their contribution to the royal family - 'a womb' and 'royal amoeba'.

It is hard for most people to understand but if Kate and William divorced the day after the first child was born she would have fulfilled her primary role.

I hope the marriage lasts but given the statistics of William's family that isn't a given. I know - lies, 'xxx' lies and statistics but they aren't encouraging are they - 50% of his grandparents divorced, parents divorced, 50% of his parents' siblings divorced (one uncle twice), and the statistics show that if you come from a broken home the chances are that you will also have a broken home (I think the statistics indicate about 60% of people from broken homes also experience broken homes - but that means 40% don't and I hope William is in that category.

Any role she has outside of having babies and looking pretty will be what she creates for herself.

She has no 'official' role - I used that word deliberately when I made my first post as only the Queen as an 'official' role - to sign legislation. All the rest of the family have supportive positions and not 'official' roles.

I am sorry if people don't see the difference between an 'official' role and a role they create for themselves but so be it.

KittyAtlanta said:
Firstly, I was not speaking of the engagements before the wedding. Secondly, what evidence do you have that I am incorrect?
------------------------------
I predict we'll reach a stalemate.

So....... Are you saying she was forced? Forced to become his fiancée? Forced to do public apperances? If she didn't want to them she could have said no to marriage or broken up with him....I consider her a willing particapent

And my opinion is a wife's 'role' can be supporting her husband and that IS for sure Catherine's role, if nothing else, like Phillip and Daniel support the Queen and Victoria so not sure how plp can say she has no role except being his wife- that's a role!!!!!! ( not saying she doesn't have other roles)

Last edited:
I agree wholeheratedly with every single post Iluvbertie has made and I do so because he has been a valid and excellent contributing member for ages on this forum with the truth of his own opinion unabashedly expressed. That is democracy. I happen to agree- and I am grateful for someone being so frank and having the courage to put it in writing.

While I can kind of understand what Iluvbertie is saying, I have to respectfully disagree. Each Queen Consort/ princess in the UK and in other countries have played major roles in influencing charities, public opinion, and the fashion of the day as well as shaping women's roles and views and world views. Yes, they do give birth to the heir, the spare, and the extras, their role is far more important. Look at Queen Alexandra, Queen Mary, The Queen Mum, Diana, Grace Kelly, Queen Sophie, Princess Alexandra.... on and on women, queens, princesses who have influenced and contributed greatly to their country and are remembered and admired not for just being the mothers of furture monarchs, but their own contributes to society as well.I think we should all be careful about the comments we make because you come off a bit snobbish and rude to say the least.

Like everyone else, except Jaya, you have missed the point that I am saying.

The roles that you describe are a choice not an 'official role'.
The only one with an official role in Britain is the Queen.
If the others did nothing nothing would change but if the Queen didn't fulfil her 'official duties' then the government would cease to operate.

That is the point - the others choose to do something but there is nothing laid down about what they have to do - Kate could decide to literally do nothing - no patronages, no public appearances, no fashion statements and what would change - the popularity of the monarchy might suffer but in reality nothing would change - as long as the Queen and in time Charles and William are able to write their names when required nothing needs to change if Kate decided to sit on her backside in Wales and never leave the home.

She has no 'official role' - just like Charles, William etc at the moment. Only the Queen has an 'official role' - and to me that is the point.

Queen Victoria said it best when asked what role the Prince of Wales would fulfil after his marriage - 'there is no official role for the Prince of Wales' - and she didn't give him anything to do for that very reason - he had no official role. The same today - Charles has no official role to play - he has chosen to create a role for himself but it isn't an 'official' role.

My only question to this and I do agree with your points. Is then a coronation as Queen Consort an "official" act or not? I know its way down the line and anything can happen between now and then. Just wondering.

That's a good question. I know most monarchs have been crowned with consorts, but before that it was up to the monarch themselves whether they chose to crown the spouse. In my opinion, it's a courtesy thing and only official in the sense of the title they go by. Being crowned a consort doesn't necessarily subject you to duties and an official role. I think the importance of duties have come into play sense most of the monarch's powers have been stripped and they have to form a new role so to speak if that make sense. I believe that's what Iluvbertie is saying I could be wrong.

Ahhhh ya caught me! Actually I went back and deleted that post after I thought about it. Of course the coronation is official and she's Queen Consort but that doesn't define her role as Queen Consort. This is the point that Iluvbertie is putting across. As far as the role of the monarchy in the UK, the only official role that means anything is the Queen's (and after the coronation of William and Catherine... William's).

Every one has "roles" in life. Its been a good lesson I think and once again Iluvbertie has taught this old goat something. I love reading the thoughts that come out with these discussions. :D

I was wondering! I knew I wasn't crazy! That makes sense. I wasn't sure is you meant official role or title wise.

If the Queen does nothing the government couldn't function - hence my view that only the Queen has an 'official role'.

Charles and DoE are appointed members of the queen's Privy Council, thus have official roles within the monarchy. Other members of the RF in line of the succession who are over 21 are appointed to official roles as well (can't find the exact term at the moment).

But of course Catherine will have no such official role at first. But why is there a need to be so aggressive about that? Like when KittyAtlanta states that this means in her opinion that Catherine will not do more than she needs to do? And if so, as she has no official role and her husband can support her out of his own means without needing money from the taxpayer, so why not? Why be so unkind to this charming bride even before she had the time to do "nothing"?

Yes.. Councillors of State I believe it is.

To be honest about William and Kate, I think they are going to be seen over the years as a team. For a while they will be low level such as Edward and Sophie are now. I simply cannot picture William with the attitude of "you walk 3 steps behind me" but more so as "walk along with me". Of course he tends to walk fast sometimes. :whistling:

I simply cannot picture William with the attitude of "you walk 3 steps behind me" but more so as "walk along with me". Of course he tends to walk fast sometimes. :whistling:

Catherine will be fast in learning the soft spoken but unmistakable Hiss: "William, will you please WAIT!" that many a wife masters as her first words in their personal "language of love"... LOL...

Charles and DoE are appointed members of the queen's Privy Council, thus have official roles within the monarchy.

There are over 500 Privy Counsellors and the Queen can appoint anyone to that position. Most appointees are politicians as the work they do is part of the parliamentary process. Most privy councillors never actually attend a meeting (my distant relative who was a member for over 30 years never attended a meeting. His grandfather also never attended despite being a privy cousellor for about 30 years as well).

Philip was actually appointed by George VI.

Usually about 4 - 10 councillors attend meetings with the Queen and rarely do Charles or Philip attend as the council is really just a rubber stamp of government business. The Queen and everybody else stand, the business is read and the Queen says 'approved'. That is it, unless she wishes to announce something else e.g. that she has given permission to a wedding.

Privy Council of the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, but Prince Charles does have duties and a role because he acts as a counsilior of state and regent when the Queen is away.

But...back to the topic. Looking at some of the charities involved in their wedding fund, I think most of Kate's patronages and charity associations will be with sports and arts and education. She will undoubtably get involved with some of William's patronages and activities.

soooo.....who was the last wife of the heir to the heir to the throne? Mary of Teck right? What did she do after her wedding...as in what "duties and roles"? It may give us an idea what Kate's role? Though that was a different time and era.

soooo.....who was the last wife of the heir to the heir to the throne? Mary of Teck right? What did she do after her wedding...as in what "duties and roles"? It may give us an idea what Kate's role? Though that was a different time and era.

You just answered your own question. When the Duke of York (George V) got married, it was 1893. Wealthy women (as Mary now was) weren't expected to do anything back then, not even raise their kids -- that was fobbed off on nannies and governesses.

But we can't really make comparisons between then and now.

Women's roles have changed so dramatically that each new generation has to make it up as they go along.

There is no blueprint anymore, and W&K will have to work it out for themselves. It's not as if there are no opportunities for the two of them...

If Kate and Wills chose to be Mr. & Mrs. Wales in their hideaway playing normal husband and housewife the momentum of public excitement will very soon turn against them.

Kate has had the stigma of waiting and not working for years, now its her chance to do something useful with her title. If she misses that chance and both become a reluctant couple wanting to be left alone with their normal life they wont be popular for long and the parasite discussion will be fully back on, this time with Kate as a member of the BRF.

Its vital that Kate now starts creating her own field of interest re charities etc.

According to the Daily Mail (reliable, I know :p ), the Duchess is going to be a housewife for quite a while.

The new Duchess of Cambridge will not become a full-time working royal for up to two years – because she wants to concentrate on being a housewife.
Despite a surge of public interest in the Royal Family following Friday’s wedding, Kate is refusing to conduct any public engagements without her husband for the foreseeable future.
There are only two or three joint events pencilled in over the next couple of months and aides admit the new bride intends to spend most of her time with her husband on Anglesey.

If she gets the chance to be a housewife then that's great. But I don't see why she needs Will for every engagement. Daniel was able to branch out on his own and I think Kate should eventually to do the same.

I wonder what those "that pursuits" are.

Great for them! Just like the Queen when she first got married. Shows that William & and Palace are actually supporting this marriage more than anything.

Being primarily a housewife doesn't mean not doing public duties... it just means she won't be a full time member of the RF like Prince Charles or Princess Anne just yet. Remember that there's Canada in July... that in itself it a HUGE commitment -- the first time something like this to happen so soon to a new royal wife.

Kate is said to have the support of the Queen who, as a newly-wed, lived in Malta for two years when Prince Philip was based there with the Navy. The monarch considers it one of her happiest periods.
If HM is okay with it, then who am I to say it isn't okay.

I don't blame her for wanting to be a newlywed. Perhaps that was one of the (many) reasons why the Duke's parents marriage was not a good one early on. They didn't seem to get the chance to be newlywed's before they were paraded around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom