Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that to compare her to Mary and the rest doesn't work that is why I stick to just her.

As for her "career choices" sorry but being in your 20s doesn't excuse the lack of employment. As for the planting of the media I don't think they considered that an issue. After all while the media followed her; William and her stoked it to a degree, by inviting her to certain events like his garter ceremony and his graduations from the military. This created an increase in attention towards her they could have avoided by not having her there. Previous royal girlfriend never went to such events.

Her former employer at Jigsaw said that she quit because she had a "schedule she couldn't dictate." A clear reference to her relationship with William. She had options to get a job but they were not flexible with her relationship. No big surprise there for any working person. We schedule are private lives around our working lives, not the other way around. I agree her degree is non-specific. Therefore I criticize her lack of choices in general. I feel like her main goal in life was to make her relationship work and I wish she would just admit it. I would certainly respect her more for her honesty.

Also I criticize William as well. He was the one who dictated the schedule so what does that say about him? He also preferred a person who gave her "whole" life to him. It almost seems a little codependent. Then again they like it so...

Out of curiosity, do you attend the graduations and other important life events of your significant other? And how would you feel about the relationship if you were barred from doing so?

I think Prince William and Ms. Middleton did an admirable job of balancing their relationship with the obligations of his role, and she managed to gracefully attend events as his girlfriend without ever insinuating that she expected anything more. This is my first post here, and I felt compelled to post because looking back on how that woman has handled a role that was impossible from the beginning... I just don't see anything about her actions that merits criticism. It all feels manufactured.

She's not a normal twenty-something, and she never would have been allowed to be while she was dating Prince William. She either needed to accept that her relationship would be an impediment to her career or never enter the relationship at all.

Welcome to the Forum, HRHHermoine.:flowers: One thing that I really liked about the interview that William and Kate did was that it showed, at least to me, how well things have been handled by these two over the years. Catherne shows a lack of defensiveness that's refreshing.

This is my first post here, and I felt compelled to post because looking back on how that woman has handled a role that was impossible from the beginning... I just don't see anything about her actions that merits criticism. It all feels manufactured.

Welcome to the Forum, HRHHermoine.:flowers: One thing that I really liked about the interview that William and Kate did was that it showed, at least to me, how well things have been handled by these two over the years. Catherne shows a lack of defensiveness that's refreshing.

I agree completely. They seem to accept that both press adoration and press criticism will be a part of their lives no matter what they do and not lose too much sleep over it. I admire that.

Also I criticize William as well. He was the one who dictated the schedule so what does that say about him? He also preferred a person who gave her "whole" life to him. It almost seems a little codependent. Then again they like it so...

From what William and Kate said in their interview, I suspect that for at least the last three years they have had an "understanding". In light of that, and bearing in mind that her primary role from now on and for the rest of her life will be to support her husband, I think it was only natural that she would give her whole life to him. She didn't already have an independent career, and as soon as the likelihood that they would marry became a serious prospect, there was no point in her seeking to establish one. I don't think it's a question of codependence, just the reality of being the likely future wife of the future king.

Last edited:
You know what role/duty I'd quite like to see her do after they've got married? Handing out the trophies at Wimbledon. The Duchess of Kent used to do it for years & years but then she "retired" a few years ago & her husband the Duke of Kent took over her role as well as doing what he did with presenting the men's trophy.

I've heard that they like the role to stay within the Kent family but since no-one other than the Duke of Kent seems to have taken over the roles, I think it could be a good idea to give it to Kate as a sort of starter early role after the wedding. It's relatively straightforward & not overly taxing in terms of nerve-inducing etc. Kate herself seems to like tennis & plays it so I think she'd actually enjoy the role too (which not many in the Royal Family seem to when it comes to tennis/Wimbledon ;) ).

I've always missed the Duchess of Kent handing out the Ladies trophy & think this could be a good opportunity to start Kate off, nothing too overwhelming plus she could do it as a solo job & start off "easy" on her own so to speak.

You know what role/duty I'd quite like to see her do after they've got married? Handing out the trophies at Wimbledon. The Duchess of Kent used to do it for years & years but then she "retired" a few years ago & her husband the Duke of Kent took over her role as well as doing what he did with presenting the men's trophy.

I've heard that they like the role to stay within the Kent family but since no-one other than the Duke of Kent seems to have taken over the roles, I think it could be a good idea to give it to Kate as a sort of starter early role after the wedding. It's relatively straightforward & not overly taxing in terms of nerve-inducing etc. Kate herself seems to like tennis & plays it so I think she'd actually enjoy the role too (which not many in the Royal Family seem to when it comes to tennis/Wimbledon ;) ).

I've always missed the Duchess of Kent handing out the Ladies trophy & think this could be a good opportunity to start Kate off, nothing too overwhelming plus she could do it as a solo job & start off "easy" on her own so to speak.

That's a great idea. I believe she attended Wimbledom a couple years ago, so there's defintly a interest there.

Do you think she will have duties alone early on, or only ones attended by William?

In regards to Wimbeldon, the Duke of Kent is President of the All England Lawn and Tennis and Croquet Club so unless he gives up that patronage (which is certainly possible as he is 68) and William becomes President. I don't think you will see Catherine presenting. Maybe attending but that is about it.

Yeah, I don't see her actually being given that role (unless/until the Duke of Kent does retire/hand on his role as President of All England Club) but I do think if he were willing to offer it to her it would be a good one for her to have, handing out the Ladies trophies & what have you. Just think it'd be a good starter for her in terms of introducing her lightly to Royal Duties & especially ones where she may be on her own.

Personally I don't see her doing any Royal Duties on her own for quite a while (especially if they start having children fairly soon after the wedding). I reckon she'll essentially follow William around at his various Duties, accompany him at functions & what have you & slowly, ever so slowly, increase the number they do together & eventually find ones she can do on her own & for her own interests.

Anything to do with special needs children such as Spina Bifida which I Have

Someone stated earlier that maybe something to do with RAF families/wives or such and I'd like to see something like that to start with..... to me, her first official duty on her own will be very exciting ! :)

Yes, it will be like a breath of fresh air - whatever she 'll do.

Out of curiosity, do you attend the graduations and other important life events of your significant other? And how would you feel about the relationship if you were barred from doing so?

I think Prince William and Ms. Middleton did an admirable job of balancing their relationship with the obligations of his role, and she managed to gracefully attend events as his girlfriend without ever insinuating that she expected anything more. This is my first post here, and I felt compelled to post because looking back on how that woman has handled a role that was impossible from the beginning... I just don't see anything about her actions that merits criticism. It all feels manufactured.

She's not a normal twenty-something, and she never would have been allowed to be while she was dating Prince William. She either needed to accept that her relationship would be an impediment to her career or never enter the relationship at all.

I attend the significant events when I can, for the record. Not that this has anything to do with me ;) As for William and Kate..If you are going to complain that the press is following you and file complaints against them then you shouldn't make your relationship so public. Several times they got the law firm of Harbottle & Lewis to complain to the media about following her. The more you lead the press on, by allowing her to attend events other royal girlfriends never attended, the more the press says they can nose in your business.

I also think that she expected something from William if she dated him for 7 years. In the interview for their engagement she even mentions that they had talked about marriage several times. While I acknowledge that is reasonable in relationship I don't think one gets involved with someone without expecting something. Even if that something is love or companionship. We all want something out of a relationship, that is why we are in them.

I am not sure what you mean about manufacturing? Are saying that my criticism of her is manufactured? That is your choice to disagree with me but I think that things could have been handled differently. That is not a "manufactured" statement anymore than your defense of her is. There are those who think she was great and those who think she could have done things differently, nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

Welcome HRHHermoine! :flowers: Great post! I completely agree with you about how Kate has handled herself throughout this long relationship.

I'm not sure that I agree that the criticism of her is manufactured, but I do think that it is rather petty at times. To some, she can't do anything right simply because they do not like her for their own reasons, or because they have a tainted point of view based on what the media has focused on. No matter the reason I don't see it changing. Her critics will always hold her to impossibly high expectations and standards.

Not sure why some people dislike Kate, IMHO she has yet to do anything to make dislike OR like her..... personally I like her style and so far that's all I've got to judge her on.... Just my opinion

Not sure why some people dislike Kate, IMHO she has yet to do anything to make dislike OR like her..... personally I like her style and so far that's all I've got to judge her on.... Just my opinion

That is why people judge her on her work because there was nothing either in regards to her job or anywhere else. as for her style it seems more stylist than Kate but it is good sense of style.

I do think Kate can improve the way the public views her but I don't see her changing anytime soon. It seems like she plans on just being an Air Force wife. I hope that is not the case. If she plans on being an active member of the royal family then my view of her will improve.

I do think Kate can improve the way the public views her but I don't see her changing anytime soon. It seems like she plans on just being an Air Force wife. I hope that is not the case. If she plans on being an active member of the royal family then my view of her will improve.

I do hope that they both take until 2013 when William gets done with his SAR duties to keep a lower profile with the occasional appearances such as Trooping the Color, Ascot and such. I think I read where William along with his SAR duties, put in 29 (or about) engagements and Kate could accompany him to those perhaps. They've got all the time in the world to work up to full scale royal duties. As long as they have the chance, I'd advise them to enjoy the first years of marriage as much as they can and perhaps start a family if that's what they wish to do.

I do hope that they both take until 2013 when William gets done with his SAR duties to keep a lower profile with the occasional appearances such as Trooping the Color, Ascot and such. I think I read where William along with his SAR duties, put in 29 (or about) engagements and Kate could accompany him to those perhaps. They've got all the time in the world to work up to full scale royal duties. As long as they have the chance, I'd advise them to enjoy the first years of marriage as much as they can and perhaps start a family if that's what they wish to do.

William's total for official duties in 2010 was 73. He did 2 overseas trips and these are where he did a large part of his official engagements as there are 3 or 4 engagements per day.

William's total for official duties in 2010 was 73. He did 2 overseas trips and these are where he did a large part of his official engagements as there are 3 or 4 engagements per day.

I was really off the mark there wasn't I? :bang: That number is pretty impressive for a man that is full time duties with SAR. With Kate accompanying him on these various engagements, I think it would be very doable for them as far as putting in their royal duties together yet also having time to themselves in Wales.

I was really off the mark there wasn't I? :bang: That number is pretty impressive for a man that is full time duties with SAR. With Kate accompanying him on these various engagements, I think it would be very doable for them as far as putting in their royal duties together yet also having time to themselves in Wales.

You may not have just pulled that number out of thin air! I think I remember reading that he'd increased his number of official duties by something like 29 in 2010 from his 2009 total, so he's done 29 more in 2010 than he did in 2009 to have a total in 2010 of 73.

At least I think I remember reading that, so perhaps you got the 29 from there ;)

You may not have just pulled that number out of thin air! I think I remember reading that he'd increased his number of official duties by something like 29 in 2010 from his 2009 total, so he's done 29 more in 2010 than he did in 2009 to have a total in 2010 of 73.

At least I think I remember reading that, so perhaps you got the 29 from there ;)

That is exactly where I did see it. Thanks! Usually when it comes to something with numbers I usually go back and check for reliability and facts but was in a rush at that time. Now I really have to say that between full time SAR duties and that workload of duties (If he stays the same or increases in 2011), I really do hope that the newlyweds do take time and just enjoy married life for a while. :)

That is exactly where I did see it. Thanks! Usually when it comes to something with numbers I usually go back and check for reliability and facts but was in a rush at that time. Now I really have to say that between full time SAR duties and that workload of duties (If he stays the same or increases in 2011), I really do hope that the newlyweds do take time and just enjoy married life for a while. :)

Which will certainly rub some people the wrong way, because they can't just be enjoying married life and not doing anything special or proving their worth, can they?
They must give something back to the community straight away, the nerve if they dare to live a life in the shadows! :eek:.

Of course, this is meant to be completely sarcastic as I agree with you. I think they must enjoy married life in the same aspect as they know their life right now. Those days will never come back.

Which will certainly rub some people the wrong way, because they can't just be enjoying married life and not doing anything special or proving their worth, can they?
They must give something back to the community straight away, the nerve if they dare to live a life in the shadows! :eek:.

Of course, this is meant to be completely sarcastic as I agree with you. I think they must enjoy married life in the same aspect as they know their life right now. Those days will never come back.

HM and the DOE got to enjoy married life privately before they were unfortunately thrust into the next phase of their life.

I too hope Will and Kate have a chance to enjoy married life before they have to live a public life.

I hope Kate goes out and meets the crowds, like Diana did. That will gain support and make her look friendly. Charity work of course. I hope they put off the 'duty' of having children for several years though.
I think Kate may surprise by the fact that she does not get actively involved initially in charities etc.She has to run her own house and then go out and do charity work? Kate has to produce progeny and clean and cook in a house whilst taking the charity work and major philanthropic causes by storm?
Sounds like there might be a conflict of of interest. Personally I think that Kate will not take up causes easily. And I think this as I have observed that she has not been forthcoming about anything regarding what she may do after marriage.In fact she has been mute.Go figure.
Diana was the other extreme and Kate is the exact opposite. These two are like geopgrapgical antipodes.Really we are so close to the wedding and I hardly know anything about Kate and her interests.Beyond the facts and they are precious few I really cannot say I have made a connection with her at any level due to the abstruse messages Wills and Kate do send out.

Last edited:
And I think this as I have observed that she has not been forthcoming about anything regarding what she may do after marriage.In fact she has been mute.Go figure.
Diana was the other extreme and Kate is the exact opposite. These two are like geopgrapgical antipodes.Really we are so close to the wedding and I hardly know anything about Kate and her interests.

Really we are so close to the wedding and I hardly know anything about Kate and her interests.

IMO, William and Catherine have quite sensibly kept the press at bay. They are under no obligation to set out a "manifesto" of sorts for the rest of her life. In time, and at a pace they are comfortable with, she will undertake royal engagements, and it is through those engagements will her chosen causes and interests become clear.

Beyond the facts and they are precious few I really cannot say I have made a connection with her at any level due to the abstruse messages Wills and Kate do send out.

What connection were you expecting to make with her? What are these "messages" that Wills and Kate are sending out?

The more you lead the press on, by allowing her to attend events other royal girlfriends never attended, the more the press says they can nose in your business.

IMO, there was nothing wrong with Kate attending various events that were important to William (including Garter ceremony, passing out at Sandhurst and the RAF Wings event). Thats what people do these days, and is perfectky accpetable at the UK. Its not that she accompanied William to the Trooping or to Ascot prior to the engagement.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, William and Catherine have quite sensibly kept the press at bay. They are under no obligation to set out a "manifesto" of sorts for the rest of her life. In time, and at a pace they are comfortable with, she will undertake royal engagements, and it is through those engagements will her chosen causes and interests become clear.

What connection were you expecting to make with her? What are these "messages" that Wills and Kate are sending out?

IMO, there was nothing wrong with Kate attending various events that were important to William (including Garter ceremony, passing out at Sandhurst and the RAF Wings event). Thats what people do these days, and is perfectky accpetable at the UK. Its not that she accompanied William to the Trooping or to Ascot prior to the engagement.
The press hardly care about them and it is not because they themselves have kept them at bay.You assume by that Kate will let us know in due course... And ask what I expect. I expect that as public figures now clear, succinct messages of what they are engaged in regarding their philanthropic obligations to the Crown.I seriously doubt that I will hear of these things after the marriage, but possibly when these two Wills and Kate are ready.By connection I mean they have not said or done anything beyond what they did previous to the betrothal.This guardedness from the big bad wolf press is getting rather tedious .Eventually they will be followed anyway. Not as vociferously as anybody else because they do have the inspirational psychological appeal; but they will have press coverage.

Last edited:
The press hardly care about them and it is not because they themselves have kept them at bay.

I really do not think there is a lack of press coverage in relation to William and Kate. Do you really think so?

You assume by that Kate will let us know in due course... And ask what I expect. I expect that as public figures now clear, succinct messages of what they are engaged in regarding their philanthropic obligations to the Crown.I seriously doubt that I will hear of these things after the marriage, but possibly when these two Wills and Kate are ready.

It is not normal for members of the BRF to identfiy specific areas that they propose to support over the course of their royal careers. Like most of us, their interests and obligations evolve with time, and accordingly, so do the causes they choose to devote their time to. As I previously mentioned, it is hardly like politicians who, when standing for elections, set out a manifesto. With Catherine, her chosen charities to support will make clear her areas of interest

And ask what I expect. I expect that as public figures now clear, succinct messages of what they are engaged in regarding their philanthropic obligations to the Crown.

Not sure I understand what you mean by the term "philanthropic obligations to the Crown", are you able to elucidate please? :)

By connection I mean they have not said or done anything beyond what they did previous to the betrothal.

I suspect Catherine probably has her hands full working through the details of the wedding with the various courtiers, and spending some valuable time with her family. Things will be very different for her after the wedding.

She has undertaken one public engagement with Prince William since the announcent of the engagement, and may undertake a few more between now and the wedding. That is perfectly fine, she is not a full time working member of the royal family just yet.

Is it really good for Catherine to decide already on potential spheres of interest?

It's not as if there would be a shortage of good causes, but the opposite - for every good cause, there are probably another hundred or more, waiting for a patron.

I think Kate was very discreet over the past 8 years. She has never pushed herself forward, and gave up trying to have a job in the 'public' sector. She had to revert to working for her family's business, as that could be done out of the media glare, while still allowing her time to join William when he had holidays, etc.

She is educated to university standard and seems to be pretty intelligent - always a good quality to bring into any family's gene pool. I am quite sure that she will pick up a few 'good works' soon after they marry, and that these will increase as time goes by. Don't forget - she is marrying the second in line to the throne, not the heir, as Diana was. This entitles her to be a little less involved while she is finding her feet and, hopefully, producing more heirs!! :winkiss:

The press hardly care about them and it is not because they themselves have kept them at bay.You assume by that Kate will let us know in due course... And ask what I expect. I expect that as public figures now clear, succinct messages of what they are engaged in regarding their philanthropic obligations to the Crown.I seriously doubt that I will hear of these things after the marriage, but possibly when these two Wills and Kate are ready.By connection I mean they have not said or done anything beyond what they did previous to the betrothal.This guardedness from the big bad wolf press is getting rather tedious .Eventually they will be followed anyway. Not as vociferously as anybody else because they do have the inspirational psychological appeal; but they will have press coverage.

I truly do not understand why anyone in the general public should expect to "know" Kate. The only people that "know" her is William, her family and her close friends. Everything else is gossip and speculation. She isn't going to lay out an agenda for the next decade detailing her plans for her life and work, nor is she going to invite the media to tea to chat about "who" she is.

She isn't going to be sitting around cleaning, cooking and watching soap operas all day at the farm house waiting for William to come home from work. She will be going through extensive training in public speaking, interviews, Royal protocol, etc... She is certainly doing some of that now, however she will need much more after she is married. She will be shadowing William in a supportive role with his duties to learn the ropes and get comfortable in her new role...just as Camilla did with Charles. When she is ready, she will forge her own path.

It would be nice if in the meantime people back off of these unreasonable expectations and allow her time to develop her own role.

She has been engaged for only 4 months and I suspect has spent the last 8 years in a strange position- private citizen but also public girlfriend- before the engagement she couldn't do anything official because she had no official role within the BRF so maybe it'll take her awhile to get her footing and i for one am willing to give her more than 4 months to get into the swing if things and her role.....but that being said I do expect her to fall into her duties, whatever they might be after she marrys- in a way she is going have to learn to embrace her public role.... Just my thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom