Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the Starlight Foundation..I believe that William is the royal patron for that event. I could be wrong about the patron part but I do believe that he is involved with the foundation.

William is not involved in the Starlight Foundation, Kate is the one who is involved with it. The Royal Patron for the foundation is Princess Alexandra.

Kate attended a charity event a few years ago and a young girl was granted a wish by the Starlight Foundation to sing for the audience. That's how Kate became involved with the foundation, she then got Party Pieces to support the foundation and each year since Party Pieces have thrown a party for the Starlight Foundation children, including last year, it's on their website.

Since it hasn't happened yet - and won't for 4 more months - I don't think you can say what is "reality" and what and will happen any more than I can (unless and until we are officially told by the RF). I was simply stating my opinion of what I'd like to see happen, which I think I'm entitled to. I'm sure she will shadow PW for a while but there should be nothing stopping her from doing her own thing as well, IMO.

All I stated is that I feel she's had enough time to figure out what she wants to do after she gets married and I hope to see her jump in and get to work right away. I don't think it's unreasonable or unrealistic at all to have given some thought and planning to your life after the churchbells stop ringing. Especially when you will be judged by several countries worth of people whose queen you will someday be - I think their opinions would matter to her. And I completely agree with what you said about facing a tremendous amount of criticism if she isn't seen to be making an effort...I guess I just don't think that only shadowing PW will be enough to save her from the critics, but maybe I'm being overly concerned and people/media will be more generous (especially, IMO, if she gets pregnant right away).

I agree with what you are saying. That is why I am questioning how long this shadowing bit will take. If she can at least do public speaking then in her case she is good to go. I say this because she knows how to deal with the media and the family.

Kate could very well decide to take on a supporting role. For example: only going out with William and deciding to take on very few if any events on her own.

As for the pregnancy I have a feeling people are just going to say that all she wanted to do was marry a royal and then secure her position by having a child. I say secure her position because if they had no children and they got a divorce we would probably not see much of Kate because there would not be much linking her to the family.

I personally would prefer her to wait on having a child but :whistling:

Thanks Charlotte for the information on the Starlight Foundation. I knew that a member of the family was the royal patron but I assumed it was William because he attended a Starlight event once.

She probably did some public speaking as part of her degree. Doing presentations is often part of the course work. I'd be more than happy to see her doing appearances with William. I expect that the first time we'll see a lot of her is when the summer social season starts with Trooping the Colour, the Garter Service, and Royal Ascot.

If she can at least do public speaking then in her case she is good to go. I say this because she knows how to deal with the media and the family.

Kate could very well decide to take on a supporting role. For example: only going out with William and deciding to take on very few if any events on her own.

A

and Mermaid you forgot all the events around Prince Philip birthday. He is 90th this coming June.

There's not going to be much around Prince Phillips birthday, a service of thanksgiving and a private dinner.

There's not going to be much around Prince Phillips birthday, a service of thanksgiving and a private dinner.

About the same as for Trooping the Colour and the Garter (actually more than the Garter as there will probably be a procession to the Abbey and back again and a balcony appearance).

Ascot is just three or four carriage processions and not much else.

I'd still expect there to be more photos at those events than Prince Phillips birthday.
A balcony appearance, really?

If Kate doesn't appear except at Williams side or at official events in the next 3 or 4 years, I'll be seriously dissappointed and I think the public will as well.

I'd still expect there to be more photos at those events than Prince Phillips birthday.

If Kate doesn't appear except at Williams side or at official events in the next 3 or 4 years, I'll be seriously dissappointed and I think the public will as well.

I am sure that the Queen would like a Balcony appearance for Philip alone - to allow the population show him how appreciated he really is although it is only a week or so after Trooping the Colour so maybe not.

I would expect more photos from a church service with a procession rather than simply a procession and balcony appearance as we actually get to see the royals as the focus of the service for an hour or so compared to the Trooping of the Colour where the photos are really the relatively short balcony appearance.

I'm sure she would like one, however since Philip has shown that he doesn't really want a birthday bash having a balcony appearance doesn't seem likely either.

Whatever happens Kate is going to be photographed a lot this year.

Well said. So what does everyone think her role should be? I imagine sticking pretty closely to William. I am not trying to start a Charles and Camilla discussion but...they are a good example. Camilla has some individual charities that she is a part of but her main role is to be by Charles' side. I suspect that is how Kate will do things as well. Her primary focus will be as a support system for William and his charities.

Do you think that the public will be all right with her if she just acts as a support system for William with few interest of her own? On the other hand the public could just think as long as they do some work and the marriage is all right then good to go? I am wondering what the public would consider an acceptable workload for a member of the family. I know Princess Anne works a lot but she is a more experienced member of the family. Just curious as to the opinions.

Princess Mary of Denmark, Maxima of Holland are doing great these ladies had to adjust to their new country and learn the language which was not easy. Catherine (Kate) can "take a page out of their book". Considering other women who are working taking care of their families while trying to" make ends meet" without help. Kate can count her blessings, move on after the marriage and bare in mind "When you are Rome do as the Romans do".

Do you think that the public will be all right with her if she just acts as a support system for William with few interest of her own? On the other hand the public could just think as long as they do some work and the marriage is all right then good to go? I am wondering what the public would consider an acceptable workload for a member of the family. I know Princess Anne works a lot but she is a more experienced member of the family. Just curious as to the opinions.

I do not think that long term the public would accept Kate if she mainly shadowed William.

They accept it, sort of with Camilla, because they don't like her, they realise she came to this role late in life, they don't have great expectations of her and the intention is still that she won't be Queen Camilla.

With Kate I do think they will expect her to be doing a lot of things on her own, particularly as the current working royals reduce in number and the public would like to see even fewer royals and so those who are working will have to increase their workload to cover the work done by the minor royals.

Kate will get a pass for about a year or so I think and then the public will start demanding that she appear on her own while William is in the army. She is also starting with a number of people down on her due to her apparent lack of work history since leaving uni (I say apparent because many people don't buy into the 'working for the family' story) and her regular holidays.

Last edited:
Not trying to be "snarley", but I don't think Kate will volunteer to do anything. Nor do I think she will willingly do what she is asked without protest. I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see her being a willing royal. Just a gut feeling.

Interesting...exactly what type of royal duties do you suggest a wife of an active RAF officer who happens to be the heir to the heir to the throne be required to perform as a new addition to the firm?

Last edited:
Interesting...exactly what type of royal duties do you suggest a wife of an active RAF officer who happens to be the heir to the heir to the throne be required to perform as a new addition to the firm?

Others have suggested that she might like to get involved in charities that help returning soldiers from the Afghanistan (and other conflicts).

She could also get involved with any number of things in Wales in particular - local issues even.

She might even be able to volunteer to help local children with reading or such like - to be seen to be doing something without having to travel too far from home.

Not trying to be "snarley", but I don't think Kate will volunteer to do anything. Nor do I think she will willingly do what she is asked without protest. I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see her being a willing royal. Just a gut feeling.

I hope you are wrong as that would not be a good look for William's wife -but I understand where that feeling comes from.

Others have suggested that she might like to get involved in charities that help returning soldiers from the Afghanistan (and other conflicts).

She could also get involved with any number of things in Wales in particular - local issues even.

She might even be able to volunteer to help local children with reading or such like - to be seen to be doing something without having to travel too far from home.

Another very important duty she must learn is her proper role at royal events. How long will it take for her to familiarize herself with those? I believe a deficiency in that area has caused many past royal spouses to meet with some difficulties in their roles...:whistling:

Last edited:

I thought I read that since Prince Phillip is stepping down as patron of some his charities due to his advancing age that Kate might take up some of his duties.

I thought I read that since Prince Phillip is stepping down as patron of some his charities due to his advancing age that Kate might take up some of his duties.

That suggestion has been made but it would also depend on whether his interest and her interests are similar as to whether or not she would want to pick up some of his charities and other positions (such as Chancellor of Universities - a purely ceremonial role).

On the contrary, I get the sense that she really wants to jump in and do something. She has been in a horrible position for years and now she has a place and actual support from the RF. If she doesn't do anything for awhile, I'm putting that on William. He seems to be the most keen to protect Kate and lead a normal life for as long as possible.

I think local charities would be great for her to support in the beginning. That way, she can have the best of both worlds. (But, of course, if the media in London doesn't hear about it, did she do anything worthwhile? ;))

William and Kate will really get married on April ?!?

I'm not sure what you mean by "willing" Royal. She has been with William for years and is well aware of what is expected and what her life will be like. If she wasn't willing she would have walked away from the relationship a long time ago. Public duty is part of the package when you marry second in line to the throne.

I know some people would like to believe once she marries, she will languish in Wales sitting in front of the telly watching reruns of Upstairs Downstairs and fantasizing about which tiara she might wear with which outfit, but that isn't going to be her reality. She will have a period of time to adjust and become comfortable in her royal duties, and then she will be expected to start toting the line with the rest of the family. Then it will be non-stop the rest of her life.

She has already been languishing in Wales...

But she isn't a member of the British Royal Family. Until April 29th she has been Kate Middleton a girl living with her boyfriend who happens to be Prince William of Wales.

I realize that there are some legitimate concerns about what Catherine will and wont do as a member of the BRF because of what it is assumed that she hasn't done since she graduated from university. As Kate has not been on a reality show (i.e. Big Brother) we DON't know what she has been doing 24/7. For all we know she could have fed the homeless, written a novel under an assumed name, helped raised money for cancer, etc because as a private individual she hasn't had to account for her time 24/7. And for those who don't believe that she has worked for her parents, well at this point I don't think there is much anyone can say anything to you to change your mind. In my professional career, I have worked for myself and my father, and SO many people just assume that I have been at home twiddling my thumbs and that is not case.

Is there a legit concern because we don't know her work ethic (based on the past) how she will function as a BRF. Absolutely, I think there is. But I don't think she be slammed for things she did or did not do as a private individual. What she will and should be judged on is what happens after April 29th.

Last edited:

She's been seen attending the Queens pre-christmas lunch, an event with William and the wedding of their friend.
What is she supposed seeing as she isn't in any different position than she was in before she was engaged? She isn't a royal yet, and therefore should not participate in duties.

Well if she is languishing, here's hoping she's enjoying it. Once she becomes a member of the royal family, her life changes. She will lose some of the freedom that she has as a "commoner". So I say languish away until that time. :lol:

Exactly, texankitcat. It seems that William and Kate have spent a great amount of time discussing their future together. She knows that she is expected to carry out her duties and work hard. In their engagement interview, she stated that she is willing and ready to do the work. So I think it's best to give her a chance before dismissing her.

AFAIK Catherine and William employ a high-class lawyer to make sure no information about how they spend the private part of their lives is being printed. Thus far they are very successful. That's why we don't know what she does at the moment. But I guess planning a wedding of that importance is hard work and will leave her not to much time to languish anywhere... Especially as she seems to take care of William's household when she is in Wales....

But she isn't a member of the British Royal Family. Until April 29th she has been Kate Middleton a girl living with her boyfriend who happens to be Prince William of Wales.

I realize that there are some legitimate concerns about what Catherine will and wont do as a member of the BRF because of what it is assumed that she hasn't done since she graduated from university. As Kate has not been on a reality show (i.e. Big Brother) we DON't know what she has been doing 24/7. For all we know she could have fed the homeless, written a novel under an assumed name, helped raised money for cancer, etc because as a private individual she hasn't had to account for her time 24/7. And for those who don't believe that she has worked for her parents, well at this point I don't think there is much anyone can say anything to you to change your mind. In my professional career, I have worked for myself and my father, and SO many people just assume that I have been at home twiddling my thumbs and that is not case.

Is there a legit concern because we don't know her work ethic (based on the past) how she will function as a BRF. Absolutely, I think there is. But I don't think she be slammed for things she did or did not do as a private individual. What she will and should be judged on is what happens after April 29th.

Well said, Zonk.

She's been seen attending the Queens pre-christmas lunch, an event with William and the wedding of their friend.
What is she supposed seeing as she isn't in any different position than she was in before she was engaged? She isn't a royal yet, and therefore should not participate in duties.

I suppose some people find that she is in a different position since she is engaged and are therefore already watching her every move and judging her.

I would say that her position has changed somewhat since November 16th, 2010 - since then she is William's official partner and set to become his wife. But not changed enough to already expect her to fulfil the same kind of duties as the rest of the royal family and to judge/have an opinion of her as such. That will come after April 29th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom