Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious, when did it start that Royals did charity gigs, became patrons and all? How far back does it go? Who started it? For sure Queen Victoria didn't do that - and I don't think her children did, either. Am I right or wrong on that?

This may be a question for another thread - if so, please redirect. Its just as I was reading this thread it occurred to me - when were the 'roles' defined in this way? Seen as their 'duty', their 'job', etc.

I truly do not understand why anyone in the general public should expect to "know" Kate. The only people that "know" her is William, her family and her close friends. Everything else is gossip and speculation. She isn't going to lay out an agenda for the next decade detailing her plans for her life and work, nor is she going to invite the media to tea to chat about "who" she is.

She isn't going to be sitting around cleaning, cooking and watching soap operas all day at the farm house waiting for William to come home from work. She will be going through extensive training in public speaking, interviews, Royal protocol, etc... She is certainly doing some of that now, however she will need much more after she is married. She will be shadowing William in a supportive role with his duties to learn the ropes and get comfortable in her new role...just as Camilla did with Charles. When she is ready, she will forge her own path.

It would be nice if in the meantime people back off of these unreasonable expectations and allow her time to develop her own role.

You've expressed my thoughts exactly!

She will need time to learn the ropes. As said by William, they are trying to learn from mistakes done in the past. One of them definitely was throwing Diana into the royal duties without previous preparation (even if she rose to the occasion).

I truly do not understand why anyone in the general public should expect to "know" Kate. The only people that "know" her is William, her family and her close friends. Everything else is gossip and speculation. She isn't going to lay out an agenda for the next decade detailing her plans for her life and work, nor is she going to invite the media to tea to chat about "who" she is.

She isn't going to be sitting around cleaning, cooking and watching soap operas all day at the farm house waiting for William to come home from work. She will be going through extensive training in public speaking, interviews, Royal protocol, etc... She is certainly doing some of that now, however she will need much more after she is married. She will be shadowing William in a supportive role with his duties to learn the ropes and get comfortable in her new role...just as Camilla did with Charles. When she is ready, she will forge her own path.

It would be nice if in the meantime people back off of these unreasonable expectations and allow her time to develop her own role.

Didn't Prince Edward say when interviewed that there was definitely no training whatsoever for the job.

Curious, when did it start that Royals did charity gigs, became patrons and all? How far back does it go? Who started it? For sure Queen Victoria didn't do that - and I don't think her children did, either. Am I right or wrong on that?

This may be a question for another thread - if so, please redirect. Its just as I was reading this thread it occurred to me - when were the 'roles' defined in this way? Seen as their 'duty', their 'job', etc.

I know for sure Queen Alexandra was patron of organization. She visited hospitals etc. I would think Queen Victoria did some of that kind of thing as well. George V was president of Wimbledon when he was PoW.

A lot of junior royals in the past were associated with charities. George III's daughters and granddaughters (particulary Mary of Cambridge who was also the mother of Queen Mary). Mary in particular despite her constant over spending was thought well by the British people because of her charitable works. Not so much with the debtors but I guess you can't have everything.

Also, I remember reading in the past that a couple of Henry VIII wives (Catherine of Aragon and Anne Bolyen) were also very charitable during their lifetimes as well.

:previous: Well he was born in it, so it's easy to said that. :lol:

It is true that not every situation possible that she will encounter can be predicted, but I would think that it's always a pro to receive enough information so that she can fell more comfortable in her new role.

Didn't Prince Edward say when interviewed that there was definitely no training whatsoever for the job.

There may not have been for the Countess of Wessex since she was not marrying an heir to the throne and was not expected at the time to take on a lot of public engagements since she and Edward wanted to continue in their careers. That changed of course.

Diana did not receive any formal counseling or training because 30 years ago, it simply wasn't something the RF thought was necessary. She did receive private coaching on public speaking and media interviews as evidenced in various videos done at her home that have surfaced since her death.

William has made it clear that they don't want to repeat past mistakes (pertaining to his mother' difficulty), so he is going to make sure she is has all the support she needs. It's also been said she is currently receiving counseling on how to handle the pressures of her future position to avoid depression, and receiving lessons in etiquette and protocol. I read something about possible media training as well.

A lot of junior royals in the past were associated with charities. George III's daughters and granddaughters (particulary Mary of Cambridge who was also the mother of Queen Mary). Mary in particular despite her constant over spending was thought well by the British people because of her charitable works. Not so much with the debtors but I guess you can't have everything.

Also, I remember reading in the past that a couple of Henry VIII wives (Catherine of Aragon and Anne Bolyen) were also very charitable during their lifetimes as well.

But was this charitable work considered part of the 'job' with Victoria? Did it define her 'role'? PoW and Wimbledon is just one thing, and not a charity.

I'm just tossing this out - did it start with Charles' Prince's Trust? As an expectation. Has the present Queen's children been the first generation to do this kind of 'work' across the board? Charity work.

Maybe its an unanswerable question. Not something anyone's looked at or noticed. Where is the line between visiting the wounded at the battlefield hospital and just visiting an ordinary hospital?

I read it started with the Crimean War in the late 1800s. Before that well-off lades who could afford not to do their household work themselves did "gentile" work like embroideries which they normally donated to their Parish church. The wife of the vicar and the lady of the manor in a Parish took care for those in need. Some did more, others did less but there used to be a feeling of responsiblity for those depending on landowners of a Parish.

The industrial revolution changed that because more and more people came to the cities in search of work but there was no ancient system of give and take in place for those who were in need like it was at the great estates and their villages and church parishes. But the general idea was at first that those who went into towns were responsible for their own success and had to stand for themselves because they had left the dependency of life in the countryside.

That changed with the Crimean War when the women of the RF and their ladies stopped doing embroideries and started instead producing medical gauze and kniting shawls, socks etc. for the soldiers. (Look up Florence Nightingale eg.) From this point the care for the families of fallen soldiers became a topic of public interest. And so on... charities became fashionable and after a while it was deemed "ungentile" not to be interested in social causes while politics, of course, remained a male domain.

Well I think once the wedding and honeymoon is said and done, Kate would be trained and groom to be Queen in waiting.;)

I don't know if this has been discussed before and if it has I apologize and feel free to move it but the pre-wedding approach to this one is eerily similar to Queen Elizabeth II's own pre-wedding preparation. They released information of the the wedding bit by bit because disapproval of her wedding against the Duke was high. It was a way of getting the public involved giving them a sense that it was their wedding too. And boy did it work like a charm!

I think the PR team for the BRF are going for the same effect with this wedding too. I think it's a great move!

She's not going to be trained for something that's not going to happen for 40+ years probably.

Charles is currently 62 ears old. In 40 years, he will be 102. I realize that the Queen Mother lived to 102, but there are no guarantees that the Queen or Prince Charles will as well. The Queen will be 100 in 16 years. If she does make it to 100 (God willing) Charles may be in his late 70's by the time he ascends the throne. That is pretty late in life to take on the stress and responsibility that comes with being the Monarch. I also don't imagine that once he ascends the throne that these will be particularly happy years for him. Considering all this, it's possible that William could ascend the throne in 30 years or less.

Okay 40 years was a bit OTT. But she's stil going to have to wait a long while to be Queen.

30 years is probably pushing it as well. I have feeling that Charles will mirror Edward VII, a long wait to reign and then a short but memorable reign.

Regardless I think Kate will at first shadow William (similar to past Royal brides) and when she becomes comfortable in role, she will pick up patronages that interest her and begin to do more solo engagements.

30 years is probably pushing it as well. I have feeling that Charles will mirror Edward VII, a long wait to reign and then a short but memorable reign.

Regardless I think Kate will at first shadow William (similar to past Royal brides) and when she becomes comfortable in role, she will pick up patronages that interest her and begin to do more solo engagements.

I agree Zonk. If the Queen does live to be 100+, she will be the longest reigning Monarch in history, and Prince Charles will be the oldest monarch ever to ascend the throne. I have doubts as to how memorable his reign will be since I don't think he will reign long enough to grow into the role and make it his own. I feel whatever mark he leaves in history will have been while he was the Prince of Wales, not while he is King Charles. I see him more as an interim King between Queen Elizabeth II and King William, who I think will truly make the role his own and leave his mark in history.

I think it will take a few years, but I have no doubt Kate will find her way within the RF and by the time she is Queen, she will have established herself as a true asset to the RF and the people of the UK. They are a modern couple, and I think they will continue to bring that into their individual and combined interests.

The difference between Charles and Edward VII is that Charles has taken very good care of his health whereas Edward was a very heavy smoker (two or three cigars before breakfast and that doesn't include the cigarettes) and a very heavy eater as well.

I can see Charles living to 100 as he has parents who have long lived genes from both sides. Charles reign will be memorable simply because he will change the way the royal family operates I think.

William possibly won't be King for 30+ years and due to his smoking and drinking (not has heavy as Edward VII's certainly but he does do both) I can see him having a shortish reign (although I won't be here to see it thank goodness).

The difference between Charles and Edward VII is that Charles has taken very good care of his health whereas Edward was a very heavy smoker (two or three cigars before breakfast and that doesn't include the cigarettes) and a very heavy eater as well.

I can see Charles living to 100 as he has parents who have long lived genes from both sides. Charles reign will be memorable simply because he will change the way the royal family operates I think.

William possibly won't be King for 30+ years and due to his smoking and drinking (not has heavy as Edward VII's certainly but he does do both) I can see him having a shortish reign (although I won't be here to see it thank goodness).

Perhaps, but for all his healthy lifestyle Prince Charles is not aging as well as his parents IMO. It seems to me that in the past few years he looks to have aged 10. I think he carries a lot inside of him that has taken it's toll from his disastrous marriage, the divorce and scandal, Diana's death and profound public backlash. I could be wrong, but I don't think he has moved on completely with his life without significant scars and guilt.

How do you know William smokes? Of course he has "partied" with his buddies, but is there more to his alcohol consumption that I have missed?

Causes Catherine could potentially support after the wedding

I thought it would be useful to get members thoughts on the causes they would like Catherine to support after the wedding.

It's already been mentioned, but I'd like to see Kate do something to support families of solders, especially since PW will be in his position for a few more years.

I'd also like to see her get involved in something pretty quickly - just one or two charities where she can strike out on her own. I don't think she should been seen as needing to "wait" for William to get involved and do some good...

I know that the Queen loved the time she had when she was first married, being out of the spotlight and hidden away, but I think times have changed and as Kate already has somewhat of a reputation for being work-shy, I think it would do her image a lot of good to be seen as jumping in with both feet. Afterall, don't they keep saying that their long courtship has prepared her for life in the RF? I think if she jumped in and took on a couple of causes, even if she stumbled a bit at first, she'd be given more of a pass for that (stumbling early on) than if she "hides" away in Wales and spends the next 3 years just being a housewife. I do think her image (with the majority of the public) matters as, IMO, you do need to have public support to be an effective Queen/head of state/leader.

For my own selfish reasons (babies are cute and it would just be exciting) I also hope they have children right away! That would be the only way I could see her not getting involved with lots of activities right away but not being bashed in the press/public for it.

I agree with everything in Lady Gudgeon's post above mine!

I think what's most important is that she finds a cause (or 2 to start) that she is really passionate about and puts in the time and energy to support it. There are so many people on this board who think she is a bit of a "slacker", so I'm sure there's the same percentage in the general public. And as much as I can relate to her statement about not caring what the press/public thinks from the engagement interview, she needs to realize she is a public figure now and public opinion does matter.

It's already been mentioned, but I'd like to see Kate do something to support families of solders, especially since PW will be in his position for a few more years.

I'd also like to see her get involved in something pretty quickly - just one or two charities where she can strike out on her own. I don't think she should been seen as needing to "wait" for William to get involved and do some good...

I know that the Queen loved the time she had when she was first married, being out of the spotlight and hidden away, but I think times have changed and as Kate already has somewhat of a reputation for being work-shy, I think it would do her image a lot of good to be seen as jumping in with both feet. Afterall, don't they keep saying that their long courtship has prepared her for life in the RF? I think if she jumped in and took on a couple of causes, even if she stumbled a bit at first, she'd be given more of a pass for that (stumbling early on) than if she "hides" away in Wales and spends the next 3 years just being a housewife. I do think her image (with the majority of the public) matters as, IMO, you do need to have public support to be an effective Queen/head of state/leader.

For my own selfish reasons (babies are cute and it would just be exciting) I also hope they have children right away! That would be the only way I could see her not getting involved with lots of activities right away but not being bashed in the press/public for it.

I fully agree with you. It would be useful to see Catherine adopt a few causes fairly soon after the wedding and get involved with them on a regular basis.

I would also like to see Catherine get involved in some charities that support inter-faith understanding, and also working with ethnic minorities.

Just found/read this piece which I thought was an interesting look at life for Kate after she marries into the Royal Family & how it may not be that "fairytale" that everyone thinks it may be but actually a lot of work & a lot of pressure. Interesting anyway & sorry if it has been posted before as I think it's a few week old already so may have been posted a while ago, it was new to me.

Prince William and Kate Middleton Engagement: Hard Work Being Royal - The Daily Beast

Just found/read this piece which I thought was an interesting look at life for Kate after she marries into the Royal Family & how it may not be that "fairytale" that everyone thinks it may be but actually a lot of work & a lot of pressure. Interesting anyway & sorry if it has been posted before as I think it's a few week old already so may have been posted a while ago, it was new to me.

Prince William and Kate Middleton Engagement: Hard Work Being Royal - The Daily Beast

Very interesting article and I don't remember being posted here before. You can easily get caught up in the glamour side of it, but there's a lot more about that kind of life.

Dearest Texankitcat,
I agree with you I heard that Prince Charles has a very kind heart. He has aged a lot "Mistake who can descern?. Longfellow said " Tell me not in mournful numbers Life is but an empty dream". Things are not what they seem and "Act that each tomorrow finds us better than today".

Kate is already in demand as a royal patron.

There's still more than three months to go until the wedding, but already charities are vying to have Kate Middleton as their royal patron.
Clarence House says it has received a number of requests from causes keen to have ‘Princess Catherine’ on their official notepaper.
Aides, however, want Kate to ‘find her feet’ before taking on formal royal duties. ‘All sorts of bids have come in, but nothing will be decided before the wedding,’ says a spokesman.
Charities for young people are the favourites to secure Kate’s services

Read more: TV chef rustles up a new girlfriend | Mail Online]

Good to see her popularity this early on. I think she will become Queen in her 50s and really won't have a lot of years as a Princess so now is the time for her to take on various causes.

Surely Clarence House could get the future title of Catherine correct.
If she turns Queen in her 50's she's got 20 odd years to wait.

:previous:Considering that that the byline is Richard Kay who is to say that this is factually correct article and that Clarence House didn't refer to Kate as Miss Middleton. Unless, they know something we don't?

I'm confused Zonk, I meant that it says "Clarence House says it has received a number of requests from causes keen to have ‘Princess Catherine’ on their official notepaper"

Surely Clarence House, knows she won't be Princess Catherine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom