Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It will all come in due course. Confidence and timing are a big thing. The press needs to allow Kate to get on with it and not critique every word when she does speak.

I'm a deacon at my local church and I still get butterflies speaking in front of a handful of people every Sunday, I'd be terrified to have my every utterance picked over by so called experts.

It will all come in due course. Confidence and timing are a big thing. The press needs to allow Kate to get on with it and not critique every word when she does speak.

I'm a deacon at my local church and I still get butterflies speaking in front of a handful of people every Sunday, I'd be terrified to have my every utterance picked over by so called experts.

It's never an easy thing to do but it must be done. I have a habit of practicing in the bathroom mirror. One has to become familiar with the text, and then the emotions and passion will come shining through once you relax.

It's always good to hear from her and not just William all of the time.

Those who are after Catherine to start making speeches will expect her to give speeches much like Diana where she spoke of AIDs or her eating issues, etc. And when Catherine doesn't bare her soul or make policy statements in her speeches, they will be dissatisfied.

Personally it has never bothered me that Kate hasn't given an overabundance of public speeches. To me, her actions speak louder than words.

I don't think there is an expectation of Catherine to be another Diana or give a great deal of speeches. I think her voice could be heard a bit more on the issues and causes that she's passionate about though. I think she has done a wonderful job over the few years she's been William's wife and a senior member of the royal family.

Again I am pointing out that Diana was the wife of the PoW. Catherine is married to the son...two different roles.

LaRae

Again I am pointing out that Diana was the wife of the PoW. Catherine is married to the son...two different roles.

LaRae

The roles don't matter when it comes to making a speech about the charities and organizations the royals support. Catherine may not be Princess of Wales at the moment but she's a senior royal and her voice have to be heard on behalf of her royal patronages. I'm just pointing out that she haven't done a speech in a while.

My point was her role does not have to be as high profile as Diana's was as of yet...including the number of speeches/engagements etc.

LaRae

My point was her role does not have to be as high profile as Diana's was as of yet...including the number of speeches/engagements etc.

LaRae

Again, I'm not talking about the number of speeches she should be doing but it would be nice to hear her own voice about the causes she currently support. She's carried out a nice number of engagements this year, about 101. We just didn't hear much from her. William is nice speaker and I hear his voice about the issues he's passionate about. I'd just like to hear a little more from Catherine as well. That's all I'm pointing out.

Previous Princesses of Wales did what their personalities dictated. I don't think there are any rules (correct me if I'm wrong). The current Princess of Wales is extremely low-key. She stands by her husband's side and that is likely the extent of the 'role' any Princess of Wales should aspire to. Catherine, too, may be a very low-key Princess of Wales. She may stand by her husband's side, raise their children and create a home. There may be a conscious choice (in the BRF) to deflect a 'cult' of personality for obvious reasons - once bitten, twice shy. :flowers:

Previous Princesses of Wales did what their personalities dictated. I don't think there are any rules (correct me if I'm wrong). The current Princess of Wales is extremely low-key. She stands by her husband's side and that is likely the extent of the 'role' any Princess of Wales should aspire to. Catherine, too, may be a very low-key Princess of Wales. She may stand by her husband's side, raise their children and create a home. There may be a conscious choice (in the BRF) to deflect a 'cult' of personality for obvious reasons - once bitten, twice shy. :flowers:

I think the idea is to not suffocate her personality and ideas but to allow it to sing openly. Her voice, ideas and passions should be heard. She's got a great set of wonderful charities, of which she's now royal patron, I think, we should hear more of her thoughts on Action and Addiction and child care. I know speeches are very daunting for her, but she's not going to get a bit better at it if she's not doing them often.

Let's stay on topic with Catherine and not previous Princesses of Wales.

I think the idea is to not suffocate her personality and ideas but to allow it to sing openly. Her voice, ideas and passions should be heard.

Why do you think so? William isn't sharing that much and he's the future direct heir. Why should his wife put herself forward more than he does? I do think the BRF is dealing with a surfeit of heirs right now and are handling it in the best way. JMO. :flowers:

Also, Catherine may not actually be suited for that kind of role. If it came naturally, maybe. Sophie Wessex was in PR; Doña Letizia was a news anchor; CP Mary was in advertising; Maxima was in finance and teaching - all professions requiring a natural interest and inclination for interaction with a public. It's possible some expect too much of Catherine whose background is far more sedate and circumspect. I'm not convinced that such should be an expectation of William's wife as a matter of course, at least not yet.

She's got a great set of wonderful charities, of which she's now royal patron, I think, we should hear more of her thoughts on Action and Addiction and child care.

What would she say? She hasn't the experience to have any real sense of these things yet. Maybe in a decade or so? Perhaps, if she does her homework, but for her to comment now could sound pretentious.

I know speeches are very daunting for her, but she's not going to get a bit better at it if she's not doing them often.

Let her raise her family. Out of that will come experience from which she may naturally rise with interests to which she can speak in a genuine way. There's plenty of time. IMO.

Personally it has never bothered me that Kate hasn't given an overabundance of public speeches. To me, her actions speak louder than words.

I feel the same way. Catherine says quite a lot with her actions. Her engagements are a pleasure to watch. Sometimes, it's better to speak with one's deeds. They're a lot more powerful than any well written and delivered speech.

This is a great post. Catherine doesn't strike me as someone who wants to bare her emotions about anything to the general public. She will do it when interacting with specific people, such as grieving parents, which is appropriate. There's no reason for her to go out, and make a speech about how passionate she feels in regards to the causes that she supports. What purpose would that serve? She seems to be like her husband-content to let her actions speak for her. This couple demonstrated time and time again that at this point in their lives they're more interested in being in the background, raising their children, and appearing when needed. To me, that says not to expect any public speeches about any passions for any cause in the near future, and guess what, it's not the end of the world. Let them be. Her Majesty appears more than happy to take this approach.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Why do you think so? William isn't sharing that much and he's the future direct heir. Why should his wife put herself forward more than he does? I do think the BRF is dealing with a surfeit of heirs right now and are handling it in the best way. JMO. :flowers:

Also, Catherine may not actually be suited for that kind of role. If it came naturally, maybe. Sophie Wessex was in PR; Doña Letizia was a news anchor; CP Mary was in advertising; Maxima was in finance and teaching - all professions requiring a natural interest and inclination for interaction with a public. It's possible some expect too much of Catherine whose background is far more sedate and circumspect. I'm not convinced that such should be an expectation of William's wife as a matter of course, at least not yet.

What would she say? She hasn't the experience to have any real sense of these things yet. Maybe in a decade or so? Perhaps, if she does her homework, but for her to comment now could sound pretentious.

Let her raise her family. Out of that will come experience from which she may naturally rise with interests to which she can speak in a genuine way. There's plenty of time. IMO.

I think you misunderstood my post. I'm not saying that Catherine should go out and do a ton of speeches and way more than William. All I'm saying, is that I'd like to hear more from her on the issues she care about and the causes she supports. We heard a lot from William this year on the causes he supports and I think that's great. I think we should hear a little more from Catherine too.

Her Royal Highness is doing a great job in her royal role and towards her patronages. I think we should hear a little more from her though. Catherine has always researched her charities before she selects them. She also visit her charities, both privately and publically. She have a lot to say about her charitable organizations.

Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge attends 76 public engagements while Philip is at 200 | Daily Mail Online

The DM appears to have not gone looking for those days that the British Monarchy website haven't updated - I have them all listed and will include a full list here so it will be known which dates, on which engagements were undertaken but not recorded on the British monarchy website, so people can see just how bad it was this year.

So far I have no engagements since 22nd - not even 'Divine Service' which is normally listed - was in 2013 for instance - as was the Carol Service.

2014 has seen the website be very slack in this regard.

Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge attends 76 public engagements while Philip is at 200 | Daily Mail Online

The DM appears to have not gone looking for those days that the British Monarchy website haven't updated - I have them all listed and will include a full list here so it will be known which dates, on which engagements were undertaken but not recorded on the British monarchy website, so people can see just how bad it was this year.

So far I have no engagements since 22nd - not even 'Divine Service' which is normally listed - was in 2013 for instance - as was the Carol Service.

2014 has seen the website be very slack in this regard.

According to your numbers Kate has done 101 engagements to Harry's 95, so she didn't finish last. I doubt this is a debate the family wants though, considering Camilla at 227 did well under half the engagements of Charles

According to your numbers Kate has done 101 engagements to Harry's 95, so she didn't finish last. I doubt this is a debate the family wants though, considering Camilla at 227 did well under half the engagements of Charles

Camilla doesnt have 40 yrs of growing patronages, the Duchy to manage nor is she heir to the Throne.

This is why comparisons are unfair. Not comparing like with like.

I was referring to the article asking if Kate is pulling her weight. I have no problem discussing how much the royals should do but I don't like to single out the Cambridges as if they exist in a vacuum.

I'm completely satisfied with Kate considering Camilla's numbers after ten years

Last edited:
:previous: Agreed - in fact I have no complaints about any of them. :flowers:

The Duchess of Cambridge has carried out only about a third as many public engagements as 93-year-old Prince Philip this year.
Kate, 32, who is expecting her second child in April, undertook 76 visits, meetings and receptions in 2014 following the birth of her son, Prince George.
But the Queen’s husband shouldered more than 200 engagements, despite suffering regular periods of ill health in recent years, an unofficial survey of annual royal duties by the Daily Mail shows.

Read more: Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge attends 76 public engagements while Philip is at 200 | Daily Mail Online

The Duchess of Cambridge has carried out only about a third as many public engagements as 93-year-old Prince Philip this year.
Kate, 32, who is expecting her second child in April, undertook 76 visits, meetings and receptions in 2014 following the birth of her son, Prince George.
But the Queen’s husband shouldered more than 200 engagements, despite suffering regular periods of ill health in recent years, an unofficial survey of annual royal duties by the Daily Mail shows.

Read more: Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge attends 76 public engagements while Philip is at 200 | Daily Mail Online

Leave it to the Daily Mail to not only be inflammatory, but to get basic facts wrong: they're writing as though William still has a full time military role

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I think Kate's numbers are fine at moment considering she has a toddler and baby on the way, but the fact she never really worked before her marriage does send a red flag. I hope in few years time she is doing more

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I'm curious to see how Mr. O'Donovan's numbers will compare to the ones mentioned in the article. Based on what I'm reading, all members of the BRF seem to have "lost" engagements according to these numbers.

Sure she could be doing more, but I think she's done a mighty fine job so far. Also, Rebecca English, who wrote the article, knows full well that the Duke of Edinburgh and other senior royals a great deal of responsibilities and bigger roles than the Duchess of Cambridge. It's very unfair to compare her role with the other 'full-time' royals. I just think it was unfair of Rebecca to single out Catherine when her and William's situation is pretty much well known.

Sure she could be doing more, but I think she's done a mighty fine job so far. Also, Rebecca English, who wrote the article, knows full well that the Duke of Edinburgh and other senior royals a great deal of responsibilities and bigger roles than the Duchess of Cambridge. It's very unfair to compare her role with the other 'full-time' royals. I just think it was unfair of Rebecca to single out Catherine when her and William's situation is pretty much well known.

I agree that it's massively unfair. She didn't mention William's number and he's the future king! Or Harry's.

Really poisonous piece.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I must say that I like the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge a lot. They come across as regal and somewhat understated. The more the public and media are almost begging the Duchess to raise her public profile, show more emotions, make a public speech, do more duties, the more I think: no. This is all because people want a new Diana, someone they can build up and break down and (the media) can make money with.
They are not the Prince and Princess of Wales yet. Once they are, they will step it up more (some people seem to can't wait for this). We should all be happy for them that they have some room now, some time in the background to raise their family and enjoy time together. William can give George and his yet unborn sibling the upbringing he never had himself, which is fantastic.

This person that wrote this article about Catherine working, what is her agenda for doing this? Is there perhaps a bit of jealousy on her part that she isn't royal or what? Her article seems filled with non-truths and fabrication on what Catherine does and doesn't do. And can she be allowed to get away with this slander?

I must say that I like the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge a lot. They come across as regal and somewhat understated. The more the public and media are almost begging the Duchess to raise her public profile, show more emotions, make a public speech, do more duties, the more I think: no. This is all because people want a new Diana, someone they can build up and break down and (the media) can make money with.

They are not the Prince and Princess of Wales yet. Once they are, they will step it up more (some people seem to can't wait for this). We should all be happy for them that they have some room now, some time in the background to raise their family and enjoy time together. William can give George and his yet unborn sibling the upbringing he never had himself, which is fantastic.

I agree. :flowers: I don't understand all the fuss about Catherine, especially since she will always be following William's lead. If William's numbers are low, that's the way the BRF has decided it will go for the time being. Seems clear-cut to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom