Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The people do want to see them. There has been a great hue and cry from UK folks who have criticized W/K for going off to everywhere but their homeland areas since the birth of George.

I don't even like them much, but I want to see them!!!

Yes I believe many of them had their employment listed with various media outlets. ;)

Ask the average person on the street and I don't believe that they're all that concerned about how often William and Catherine are performing royal duties. They've done several throughout the UK since George's birth and their tour of Australia/New Zealand. (Tower of London, Invictus Games, Investiture at BP, Scotland, etc...)

^^^Aside from the facetiousness, of course I don't think they have to tell the public anything when they're not on duty. It's just that they are never on duty. As for William, it would be nice to see him accomplish something he has set out to do in a timeframe at least close to what other applicants/hires would have to follow. When he completes his training, I would be glad to applaud a post on the gate of KP. With him taking so long, they probably don't even need another pilot, but were just being nice to Willliam.
IMO the EAAA service might appreciate having an experienced pilot who is willing to donate his salary though.;)

There are many reasons the Queen is limiting William's engagements. There are first and foremost issues around funding. Charles foots a large chunk of the bill for W&K's public life and money is tight.

Another reason is the Queen may think William should wait his turn, he is after all in the third generation of the Firm.

He is serving his country in a real and tangible way flying an air ambulance.
I know one thing is clear, William respects both his father and his Queen. He has and always will do whatever is required of him and IMO its pretty shabby that he gets thrown under the bus by certain people in order to push their own favourite royal's profile.
Good post Rudolph.

You can't say that Kate works like Letizia, Mary or Maxima, not at all! This is pretty evident!
As the spouse of the heir-to-the-heir I wouldn't expect her to be working as much as a queen consort or crown princess. Even among the monarchs/consorts, heirs/spouse, they all work different hours based upon what their nation needs from them.

Camilla worked more days in 2013 than her husband's Scandinavian peers and their spouses. I don't believe they're lazy but that different royal houses may not have the same needs from their ruling families. :)

When the now Prince of Wales becomes King, William will then be the heir, and his and Catherine's lives will change exponentially. When Catherine comes into the position of Duchess of Cornwall and then, most likely, Princess of Wales, she'll have had much more time to get used to her royal role than William's mother had before she took on the high-profile title and duties. I think that what she's doing now is foundational to the success of what she and William will be as a team in the years to come: a well-established couple who've invested a lot in their family life and become involved with organizations that mean a great deal to them. We'll see much more of them in the years to come.:flowers:

As the spouse of the heir-to-the-heir I wouldn't expect her to be working as much as a queen consort or crown princess. Even among the monarchs/consorts, heirs/spouse, they all work different hours based upon what their nation needs from them.

It's not about carrying out the same number of engagements as their peers but more about picking up the pace when it comes to official engagements. Everyone, understands the difference in the heirs. Of course more will be added to their plate once roles change but they could be doing more (now) and I think that's all we're saying.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why everyone is shocked that part-time royals are only doing ~100 engagements per year. Seems pretty straightforward.

As a number of engagements where cancelled when her pregancy was announced she looked the be quite busy. Hopefully when she gets better she can reschedule a number of engagements for later date. :flowers:

It's not about carrying out the same number of engagements as their peers but more about picking up the pace when it comes to official engagements. Everyone, understands the difference in the heirs. Of course more will be added to their plate once roles change but they could be doing more (now) and I think that's all we're saying.
TBH I don't believe that everyone does understand that there is a difference. Especially when the Cambridges are being compared to reigning monarchs/consorts and the heirs/spouses as they were in this thread and in as they have been before.

TBH I don't believe that everyone does understand that there is a difference. Especially when the Cambridges are being compared to reigning monarchs/consorts and the heirs/spouses as they were in this thread and in as they have been before.

I agree this.

Oh good! I was wondering when the 2079th installment of this argument was going to come up! ?

I'm not sure why everyone is shocked that part-time royals are only doing ~100 engagements per year. Seems pretty straightforward.

Probably the best post in this entire thread.

When Kate joined the family, they stated outright that she would not become a full-time royal for at least a few years. That was obvious and clear from the outset and clearly an agreed strategy within The Firm. How can anyone be at all surprised by this?

I do agree with casualfan, however. This argument is getting old. The Kate-haters pop up with their usual stuff which then provokes the Kate fans to try and defend her. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Not really sure why people who think both Will and Kate need to do more are "Kate-haters". I'm not sure if they should do more, but to say these people work hard rubs me the wrong way. And I don't expect them to become full-time royals.

When Sophie joined the family, in her first year, while still working full-time in the real world she did 120 engagements.

Kate as a part-time royal with no other job has only managed that number once - the Jubilee year and she didn't have the excuse of working a 9 - 5 job as well.

Edward - the same year - also still working full time in his production company managed 180 - a figure William hasn't ever made.

These are fair comparisons as William and Edward both were holding down full-time jobs but still Edward outdid William by about 60 in their first full year of marriage.

Sophie did about the same as Kate but had the excuse of actually working in a real job whereas Kate had to do nothing else at all.

The year after Louise was born Sophie did 185 engagements (and remember she and Louise both nearly died when Louise was born). Compare that to Kate the year after George was born when she did 89 - or nearly 100 fewer engagements.

Some people are satisfied with how little Kate is doing but when I look at how much was expected of Sophie in her first year and again after she had Louise then I think it is fair to say that Kate is doing way too little. And Sophie was expected to remain in the real workforce and work for her PR company - something Kate was never expected to do.

And of course Edward, although the son of the monarch, is seen, by the public as a minor royal even then while William is the future King.

Last edited:
With the exception of this year, William and Harry have never done more than 100 engagements. So I don't know why people are surprised that Kate's engagement count is around the same. As part-time royals (job or no), this number has been acceptable to the BRF for years.

Here's what I don't get. For the past few years, Sophie has done about the same number of engagements as Camilla. In fact, so far this year Sophie has done 100 more engagements than Camilla. Yet, I don't hear a constant uproar about Camilla's engagement count. Camilla is the heir's wife, so it's confusing that so much more focus is being put on Kate's workload.

With the exception of this year, William and Harry have never done more than 100 engagements. So I don't know why people are surprised that Kate's engagement count is around the same. As part-time royals (job or no), this number has been acceptable to the BRF for years.

Here's what I don't get. For the past few years, Sophie has done about the same number of engagements as Camilla. In fact, so far this year Sophie has done 100 more engagements than Camilla. Yet, I don't hear a constant uproar about Camilla's engagement count. Camilla is the heir's wife, so it's confusing that so much more focus is being put on Kate's workload.

I go back to the point I made yesterday. A young picturesque Catherine on a cover sells a lot more magazines than a 60-something Camilla. The noise about Catherine's lack of engagements from some sections of the media is really driven by that, IMO.

Also, as far as internet forums go, a lot of people like to see Catherine, her clothes and jewels, and dissect them extensively. Clear a lack of public engagements leaves an awful lot of people with relatively little to comment on, and hence, the negative commentary.

Exactly!! Camilla is 8th overall in number of appearances in the Court Circular but not a peep from people.

Surely if being 8th in the CC after ten years of marriage is perfectly fine for our next Queen Consort, Kate should be allowed some time to build up her profile and raise a family.

Last edited:
I go back to the point I made yesterday. A young picturesque Catherine on a cover sells a lot more magazines than a 60-something Camilla. The noise about Catherine's lack of engagements from some sections of the media is really driven by that, IMO.

Also, as far as internet forums go, a lot of people like to see Catherine, her clothes and jewels, and dissect them extensively. Clear a lack of public engagements leaves an awful lot of people with relatively little to comment on, and hence, the negative commentary.

Exactly! :flowers:

Bottom line, Kate is more photogenic than most of the other Royal ladies, and people want to look at her, note what she's wearing, and either admire or denigrate it. That's where the interest lies, imo, and that is what the press wants to see.

Even Pippa, who is only a connection of the RF, gets loads of media coverage, for much the same reasons. It's all about what the public finds interesting.

As long as its recognised for what it is. What gets me is the faux outrage in certain quarters that Kate is somehow not pulling her weight when she does exactly the same amount as either William or Harry.

If the royals were receiving a salary from the government I could understand the scrutiny on Kate but they don't. The money the Queen receives from the Government is the same no matter how many or how few engagements Kate or anybody else does.

If William wasn't married at all the Queen gets the same level of funding in the Sovereign Grant.

The idea of Catherine stepping up a little more with her royal duties really have nothing to do with her raising her family. She's got the private time to do that and no one is suggesting that should be disrupted. I think all we're saying is that her and William could do a few more official engagements. Her royal role is growing and more responsibility is coming down to her. The Queen sending her to Malta on her behalf suggests that she's now taking on more important roles as a senior member of the royal family. It's time for that to happen and that's just how the cookie crumbles.

Yes, younger members of the royal family sell well. That will happen regardless, so everyone just have to get used to it. The royals and the media need each other. The relationship hasn't been easy but they must have a professional relationship.

The Queen sending her to Malta on her behalf suggests that she's now taking on more important roles as a senior member of the royal family. It's time for that to happen and that's just how the cookie crumbles.

I agree, Its the Queen responsibility, if the Queen had decided to send Harry to Malta instead there is nothing Catherine can do about it though. The Queen decides the timeline not Kate.

Exactly! :flowers:

Bottom line, Kate is more photogenic than most of the other Royal ladies, and people want to look at her, note what she's wearing, and either admire or denigrate it. That's where the interest lies, imo, and that is what the press wants to see.

Even Pippa, who is only a connection of the RF, gets loads of media coverage, for much the same reasons. It's all about what the public finds interesting.

As long as its recognised for what it is. What gets me is the faux outrage in certain quarters that Kate is somehow not pulling her weight when she does exactly the same amount as either William or Harry.

Actually, the "faux outrage" is largely on the web based forums than the press. Few articles in the serious press have made a negative comment on the topic.

I wonder if Kate has ever said, wistfully, to HM - "I really would like to do a few more engagements." Really, I can't stop laughing.

Anyway, I'm going to say that I'm glad Kate isn't exposing herself to the public right now. So many deadly "bugs" available to us all. With the pregnancy, I'm glad she's staying home.

I agree, Its the Queen responsibility, if the Queen had decided to send Harry to Malta instead there is nothing Catherine can do about it though. The Queen decides the timeline not Kate.

I think the Queen is giving Catherine the recognition and responsibility of a senior member of the royal family and she know it's time for the Duchess to do more. There will be more duties for her to do.

If the Queen ran the Firm based on who one is married to or one's place in the line of succession then people like the Kents and Gloucesters who are in the 30s and 40s in the line of succession would have been sent out to pasture already.

This notion that somehow only Charles, William and Kate are senior royals and everyone else irrelevant doesn't play out in real life.

Maybe under Charles the lineal line will come to the fore but the Queen obviously doesn't work that way or we would see Beatrice and Eugenie at sixth and seventh in line and the only two blood princesses of their generation as working royals and not the Kents.

If the Queen ran the Firm based on who one is married to or one's place in the line of succession then people like the Kents and Gloucesters who are in the 30s and 40s in the line of succession would have been sent out to pasture already.

This notion that somehow only Charles, William and Kate are senior royals and everyone else irrelevant doesn't play out in real life.

Maybe under Charles the lineal line will come to the fore but the Queen obviously doesn't work that way or we would see Beatrice and Eugenie at sixth and seventh in line and the only two blood princesses of their generation as working royals and not the Kents.

No one said that Charles & Camilla, William & Kate are the only senior royals. The Queen gave Catherine the honor of representing her in Malta and since Catherine couldn't go, William went in her place. Yes, Catherine seniority is next to Camilla and the Queen but she isn't the only senior royal.

I would like to see the Queen's cousins all retire, so that the Cambridges and Harry can take on more of the royal burden.

I would like to see the Queen's cousins all retire, so that the Cambridges and Harry can take on more of the royal burden.

This will happen in time. Everybody's pretty happy the way things are and things are running pretty smoothly.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

Oh good! I was wondering when the 2079th installment of this argument was going to come up! ?
:lol::ROFLMAO: Just wait until tomorrow when it will hit 2080. Of course I'll be part of it.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom