Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO I think Kate, as the wife of a military officer, should work with charities that help the families of deployed members of the military, and the families of soldiers who die in combat. That would be an excellent domestic issue for her to start out with.

IMO I think Kate, as the wife of a military officer, should work with charities that help the families of deployed members of the military, and the families of soldiers who die in combat. That would be an excellent domestic issue for her to start out with.

Oh agree!!! That is very smart- hope she is reading this :)

It has been said that she will be known as Catherine from now on, but do we know which name (Kate/Catherine) she herself prefers?
I believe I read on this forum somewhere, just after the engagement was announced, that she doesn't mind either Kate or Catherine. Aka she is fine with both.

She may like Catherine best, but even William called her Kate so she does go by Kate.....

Last edited by a moderator:
...i'm wondering what sort of charities Kate will persue once she begins to do engagements on her own (what is sh is interested in and what does she want to learn more about).
She was a stand in at a charity yesterday of which Prince William is a patron, but it was their mutual friends so maybe this is how she'll start, going to with William's charitys and then branching out to her own....

Edit-I should add she was not there last night in any official royal capacity, merely I believe as a friend and William's fiance not an official role

I think Kate will continue to work with the Starlight Foundation, green causes and other children's charities but she and William will start a family right away, making her entrance into her own patronages down the road a bit.

I think she will work only if PW has to go away, and maybe not even then. I think it will be a while after the wedding, once they are no longer living in Wales, that she'll get started.

I think it would be fine for her to be a housewife for a couple of years. Not just saying that for Catherine, but for every newly-married woman who would like to stay home for a couple of years.

A rich "housewife",why not?Considering that in first 5 years of their marriage she will probably gives a birth to one or two children

A rich "housewife",why not?Considering that in first 5 years of their marriage she will probably gives a birth to one or two children

Indeed, she would be a wealthy housewife. However, I know several couples of modest means where the "she" doesn't work outside the home. It's all a matter of priorities.

After she was quite nervous during the engagement-interview and very relieved when it was over I wonder whether she is delighted by the idea of appear in public after the wedding very often. It´s the same with William: He IMO never so far was/is keen on acting in public or even becoming king f.i. in the near future. I wonder anyway at what occasion they´ll both give an interview like the one on occasion of the engagement again.
So they might have the excuse not to take away all the attention off Charles by appearing in public too often. Of course they are aware that they will be photographed a.s.o. even if they just sit there and and watch the sunset.
In case of Diana appearing in public from all the beginning to often it was because she was the wife of the direct heir to the throne and later she tried and managed to cut out Charles because of the well known reasons. But we don´t have this situation here (and hopefully never will...)

Kate and William come across as eager to help others and full of enthusiasm about good causes. He is keen on his career as well. She went to a charity event soon after the engagement announcement and William has become fairly high profile in the last few years and has done so with apparent relish. I see them quite differently than non-active. They each exude energy.

It may not be necessary for Catherine and William to have children immediately but children for them must be a priority at some point, looking at the future line of succession, I am assuming that their son or daughter will one day be our next king or queen.

Pressure won't be put upon them as much as it would if William was the heir.

I've heard Camilla is very "jolly" and easy to get along with:)

No doubt Catherine will do work on behalf of various groups and organizations. It will interesting to see which ones she's will be involved with.

The DM inventing?

Since during the Queen's last Jubilee, the Golden Jubilee , Camilla did nothing at all, I seriously doubt the Queen has asked her to guide Kate Middleton's activity in the one ahead.

I believe Kate will take her cues from William and HM.

Since during the Queen's last Jubilee, the Golden Jubilee , Camilla did nothing at all.

The Golden Jubilee was in 2002, why would Camilla have done anything when she wasn't married to Charles?

I remember hearing the Queen make a comment like that - someone swore in her hearing and was shushed. The Queen said something like 'I am the wife of a sailor, the mother of a sailor, the daughter of a sailor, the granddaughter of a sailor - let them say what they like I have heard it all before.'

Last edited:
I remember hearing the Queen make a comment like that - someone swore in her hearing and was shushed. The Queen said something like 'I am the wife of a sailo, the mother of a sailor, the daughter of a sailor, the granddaughter of a sailor - let them say what they like I have heard it all before.'

I love this quote.

I remember hearing the Queen make a comment like that - someone swore in her hearing and was shushed. The Queen said something like 'I am the wife of a sailor, the mother of a sailor, the daughter of a sailor, the granddaughter of a sailor - let them say what they like I have heard it all before.'

Love this! And for some reason, I have no trouble imagining QEII saying this...

Please note that off topic comments about Camilla's role (or lack of role) at the last Jubilee have been deleted as off topic.

This thread is about the duties and roles of Catherine Middleton, not the Duchess of Cornwall.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

I don't necessarily agree that people are jealous, although with some, perhaps, this is the reality, who knows.

I think people are put off by the fact that Kate, seemingly, did nothing with herself once she graduated college as far as a career. I don't know, I work for a family business, and I work hard. I also have the state of mind that if you work hard there is absolutely nothing wrong with playing hard and furthermore there is nothing wrong with time away when you can take it. Kate made the comment that she knew, and those important to her knew, how hard she worked and what she was doing, and for her, that's all that mattered. Who are we to judge at this point? When she's married and being supported by the taxpayers I can see where the judgements might be more "called for" but for now, let the girl breath.

If she waits until she is supported by the taxpayers she probably has 30 or more years to do what she has appeared to be doing in the minds of many - nothing - as only the monarch and the spouse of the monarch (and surviving spouses) are supported by the taxpayers. The rest are supported from the monarch's private income (no different to any other family supporting its members from their sources of income).

She will be expected to start working from April 29th next year for the good of Britain and not wait until William becomes King and gets support from the taxpayers (only the Queen and Philip are supported now). I hope that she starts doing charity work and other duties next summer and by the time she is 40 would expect her to be doing close on 1000 - 1500 engagements a year (that high as I expect the only people doing royal duties by then will be Charles and Camilla and William and Kate - Harry will still be in the military and I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't married as he seems too flighty. I don't think the York girls will be doing royal duties at all as Charles wants to reduce the size of the royal family and that to me would suggest monarch + spouse + children + spouses and no one else).

Catherine won't be supported by the taxpayers at all, either as wife of the heir or Queen. As of 2013, the Civil List is being abolished and the monarch will receive 15% of the income of the Crown Estate, to be capped and also it will have a minimum figure. The Crown Estate money doesn't come from taxes but rather from the rent of tenants on the Crown Estate.

The figure of 1000 to 1500 royal duties a year is just ridiculous. Especially since at their very peak, Prince Philip and Princess Anne carried out around 670 royal engagements a year and both have reduced, Philip due to age (he's down to the 300s) and Anne probably seeing that it wasn't sustainable, she's down to the 500s. Even the Emperor of Japan who is the Head of State of a country of 127million people at his peak carried out 1000 engagements a year, in his case his workload has been reduced as well. Catherine as wife of the heir of a country of around 60 million won't be expected nor able to carry out engagements into the 1000s!

Catherine will be 40 in 11 years time, (she turns 29 in 2 weeks) so by the time she is 40, Andrew will be 60 and carrying out his full load (500) engagements a year, Edward and Sophie will be in their mid 50s so their load of around 300 and 200 engagements will carry on. Anne will be 70 and probably be down to about 400 engagements. The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester in their mid 70s and so carry out the 200 and 100 engagements they do now. Assuming good health the Kent siblings will be in their 80s and probably still doing a handful. This not not even counting Harry (perhaps wife) Beatrice and Eugenie, Charles and Camilla.

Fewer royals, just means fewer organisations will have royal patrons, not that the remaining ones drastically increase the amount of engagements they have. An example of a royal patronage going, Diana was patron of Barnados, she gave it up, and Cheri Blair as wife of the PM became patron. Now Barnados has a royal patron again with Camilla. The older royals such as Prince Philip and the Queen also have numerous patronages that are not UK based, Charles has a few, the younger royals' patronages are all UK based. I don't think it's as likely as it was in the past for organisations outside the UK to ask a British royal to be their patron.

Catherine won't be supported by the taxpayers at all, either as wife of the heir or Queen. As of 2013, the Civil List is being abolished and the monarch will receive 15% of the income of the Crown Estate, to be capped and also it will have a minimum figure. The Crown Estate money doesn't come from taxes but rather from the rent of tenants on the Crown Estate.

This is really just an accouting change and not a real one as currently the money from the Crown Estates goes to the government, along with taxes etc. From that income the government pays the Civil List. All it is doing is proposing setting up set rate based on a certain income source that it has now. To compensate the government will have to use taxpayers money to make up the shortfall in the income from the Crown Estates - no change to what anyone is currently paying but the accouting will be different and that is all.

The figure of 1000 to 1500 royal duties a year is just ridiculous. Especially since at their very peak, Prince Philip and Princess Anne carried out around 670 royal engagements a year and both have reduced, Philip due to age (he's down to the 300s) and Anne probably seeing that it wasn't sustainable, she's down to the 500s. Even the Emperor of Japan who is the Head of State of a country of 127million people at his peak carried out 1000 engagements a year, in his case his workload has been reduced as well. Catherine as wife of the heir of a country of around 60 million won't be expected nor able to carry out engagements into the 1000s!

Catherine will be 40 in 11 years time, (she turns 29 in 2 weeks) so by the time she is 40, Andrew will be 60 and carrying out his full load (500) engagements a year, Edward and Sophie will be in their mid 50s so their load of around 300 and 200 engagements will carry on. Anne will be 70 and probably be down to about 400 engagements. The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester in their mid 70s and so carry out the 200 and 100 engagements they do now. Assuming good health the Kent siblings will be in their 80s and probably still doing a handful. This not not even counting Harry (perhaps wife) Beatrice and Eugenie, Charles and Camilla.

Fewer royals, just means fewer organisations will have royal patrons, not that the remaining ones drastically increase the amount of engagements they have. An example of a royal patronage going, Diana was patron of Barnados, she gave it up, and Cheri Blair as wife of the PM became patron. Now Barnados has a royal patron again with Camilla. The older royals such as Prince Philip and the Queen also have numerous patronages that are not UK based, Charles has a few, the younger royals' patronages are all UK based. I don't think it's as likely as it was in the past for organisations outside the UK to ask a British royal to be their patron.

Had you actually read my reasoning you would have realised that I am making the point that Charles wants to cut down the number of royals and that would rule out the majority of the people currently doing duties. I did name the ones that I would see doing them - Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and Harry. The rest of the family would be outside the Royal Family as such and won't be doing royal duties - particularly Beatrice and Eugenie. Andrew won't ever do anymore than he is now doing and in 11 years I would see him doing none. Edward and Sophie might be doing a handful as the sibling of the monarch but only if they really want to and as for the Queen's cousins - they are cutting back to almost nothing now and that will simply continue. In 11 years I would see maybe the Duke of Kent still doing Wimbledon but nothing else at all from the Gloucesters or other Kents (considering Alexandra has been cutting back for the last decade or so and the Duchess has done none for closer to 20 years) that isn't much of a stretch.

Charles is the one who really wants to bring down the size of the Royal Family and this will be the consequence - the others will have to do all the work.

1000 is not unreasonable for a fit healthy woman - it is 3 a day - allowing for about a month of holidays a year.

Had you actually read my reasoning....
Charles wanting to bring down the size of the Royal Family is something that was promoted back in the 1990s, nothing has been said, either by Charles or any other member of the Royal Family since then to give any idea that it's a certainty that will happen. At the same time the idea that Beatrice and Eugenie would become Lady.... was also promoted, stripped of their HRHs and nothing came of that. Now they are over 18 it's their choice.

In 11 years there is no indication that the current group of working royals (barring the Queen and DoE) won't be around to carry out duties. Why would Andrew who currently does over 500 engagements a year reduce to nothing in 11 years!? The Queen's cousins aren't cutting back drastically at all, the Duke of Kent has remained static at around 200 engagements a year for the past decade or so, as has his sister. Alexandra hasn't cut back (except for the year her husband died) and her duties have remained static at around 100 a year. The Duke of Gloucester is holding at 300, therefore it's plausible that they will continue with their royal duties with some reductions in 11 years, the Kents with larger reductions than the Gloucesters. (The Duchess of Kent retired from official duties in 2002, so not exactly 20 years! (During the 1990s she had recovered from her period of ill health and carried out a full set of engagements, including overseas ones) She still carries out an occasional duty based on local charities, a month ago she opened her local library. In the past 2 years she has carried out engagements for a Lightboat Trust she was patron of and she's a regular at the Trooping of the Colour and this year attended Remembrance Sunday. So while she's officially retired she does still do a handful of engagements)

1000 engagements a year is a ridiculous amount, no royal carries that amount out. There's no way Kate with or without a reduction in the amount of active royals, and in 11 years there won't be a huge reduction, will be expected to carry that many engagements.

Fewer royals will just mean few royal patrons for organisations.

With money for the monarchy coming from the Crown Estate, tax payers aren't directly having to have their tax increased. Also the money going into the Crown Estate varies which is why a cap is being placed so more than a certain amount in a good year goes into the government's fund, not to the royals themselves. Since the Crown Estate money comes from rents not directly from tax payers (regardless of whether Crown Estate money goes into government funds or not) Brits are not having the money they individually pay in tax go to fund the royal family. Whether or not they consider they're entitled to all the Crown Estate money to fund the government is a different matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom