Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If my daughters grew up to be like Kate, I would be pleased, so in that case, she is a good role model for them, IMO.

:previous:Role Model? Kate? Not yet...maybe never. She's got to do a great deal of work with a great deal of exposure to show her worthiness for the title of Role Model to anyone.

grevinnan said:
As for Kate, she does not have career experience but the fact that she went to college, keeps her clothes on, doesn't have a sex tape, doesn't have naked photos of her on the internet, and doesn't have 3 kids with 3 different daddies, makes her a role model in my book.

A very sad day when this is all it takes to be a role model! Have our expectations become so low for our young women?

I agree. A woman who does have three kids with three daddies can still be a role model. Kate went to college and graduated and keeps her clothes on..... This is so incredibly stupid, I can't even....

What time is the Art Exhibition? I'm awaiting photos from her solo patronage appearance today.

Well,I guess it depends on what kind of role model you are talking about. She may not be a role model for some regarding work/career but she can be a role model for some regarding manners and behavior.

Is it necessary for her to be a role model in every aspect of her life?

And honestly, I am not that bothered over her work history. I know people say she's lazy, workshy, etc. Is that the truth, or something fabricated by the media to sell papers? In my mind there is enough doubt that I don't feel comfortable judging on this.

IMHO.

I would agree with you that in regards to manners and behavior Catherine is definitely someone to emulate. I remember reading that when the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall met her for the first time, they were impressed by her politeness. In the age where being rude is almost expected, it's nice to see a young person that shows respect for those around her. Like you, I'm not bothered by her work history (or lack thereof). She helped out with the family business and to me, that's having a job.

In an age of Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian where flashing your goods will make you famous, yes I will say Kate is a role model. Whether you want to say standards have lowered, well that's up to you. For 10yrs the woman has maintained her composure, honor, and respectability, even when she was broken up with William. Despite how easy some people think she has had it, I don't believe it could have just been a walk in the park to be "Waity Katy".

I don't think it's at all easy to have to basically sit and wait, and hear/read what others are saying about you. I admire Catherine for sticking to her guns, and going for what she wanted. That shows some strength of character. Also, doing so with no scandals is to be admired too, especially with the likes of Paris Hiltons and Kim and whoever Kardshians floating about, ready to strut their stuff just to get a mention in a gossip rag.

There was an article posted here a while back praising Kate for making it again popular to dress like a lady. Here here! If by her fashion choices, public behavior, and decorum, she influences just one young (or older) person to make appropriate choices, then I say "job well done". :flowers:

Yes! I love the fact that she brought back the classy look (or at least made it more popular). I wish more young women would realize that it's necessary to look like a loose woman to be considered attractive. I have a sixteen-year-old sister, and I ardently wish and hope that when she grows up, she'll be a classy and intelligent young woman, maybe not exactly like Catherine, but something close to. Unfortunately, my sister has no interest in anything classy, so I doubt highly that she'll choose to emulate Catherine's behavior.

I've always considered the Duchess to be one of my role models. Yes, she's had a very privileged upbringing, so the royal wedding is hardly a Cinderella story. And no, she hasn't had a schedule packed full of charity work or a high-flying career. But the Duchess's understated elegance, grace and affinity with the public makes her - in my opinion - a perfect royal. I can't wait to see HRH's first portrait, because it will really capture the true class that money can't buy.

http://marieclaire.media.ipcdigital...rh100000w427_Duke--Duchess-of-Cambridge-8.jpg

One of my favourite pictures of the Duchess.

http://frogenyozurt.co.uk/wp-conten...inspects-irish-guards-pic-getty-172720544.jpg

Another favourite.

gonewiththewindsors: Catherine shopping on the... - HRH the Duchess of Cambridge

This last one was taken recently. She looks so elegant and unfazed by the camera. Not many girls my age seem to have a lot of dignity and self-respect, and the Duchess is an ideal role model. It doesn't matter that HRH hasn't had a career - in my opinion she was always destined to be royalty.

If I had a daughter, I'd much rather that she have a role model like Kate than any number of other young women who are in the public eye.

You know, I could only wish there were women like Catherine here in the U.S. that could be considered role models. Instead there are over the top, flamboyant, half dressed entertainers who are considered role models and it makes me wonder what this world has come to. Anymore the young people look like mini versions of these people. Maybe its just me but I don't see anyone like Catherine here so far so GB is certainly lucky to have her. Just my opinion.

Compared to the female entertainers we love to hate, Kate would be considered exemplary. However, she has yet to do anything that could be considered worthy of emulation, unless it was snagging a prince.

Yes, she's been working for the last couple of months on a part-time basis, but has not accomplished anything tangible.

Disagree with me if you like.

catherina with charles look perfect!

KittyAtlanta said:
Compared to the female entertainers we love to hate, Kate would be considered exemplary. However, she has yet to do anything that could be considered worthy of emulation, unless it was snagging a prince.

Yes, she's been working for the last couple of months on a part-time basis, but has not accomplished anything tangible.

Disagree with me if you like.

100% agree, she's getting a ridiculous amount of praise for something she's supposed to do.

She's making people smile. If you look at the pictures from the hockey visit in particular, everyone who comes into contact with her enjoys it. At a time of austerity, massive cuts, unemployment and general all around unhappiness, she's brought a certain freshness and positivity to the national conversation. I think everyone has been surprised at how quickly she's taken to her engagements, at her ability to connect with the general public, and at the fact that she seems to enjoy meeting people as much as they enjoy meeting her.

In addition, in a world where Katie Price and the 'stars' of The Only Way Is Essex are considered role models, Kate is a tonic for people who despair at the general failure of our public figures to conduct themselves with dignity and sincerity.

The ridiculous amount of praise and the ridiculous amount of criticism balance each other out.

The ridiculous amount of praise and the ridiculous amount of criticism balance each other out.

In total agreement with you there! That's why they are called personal opinions folks....both negative and positive are welcome:flowers: If some consider Kate to be a role model in lieu of the reality stars who are looking to milk their fifteen minutes of fame, than so be it. Likewise for those who think that there are other people to use as role models (i.e. teachers, firefighters, soldiers, those who work with charities, etc.).

Last edited:
She's making people smile. If you look at the pictures from the hockey visit in particular, everyone who comes into contact with her enjoys it. At a time of austerity, massive cuts, unemployment and general all around unhappiness, she's brought a certain freshness and positivity to the national conversation. I think everyone has been surprised at how quickly she's taken to her engagements, at her ability to connect with the general public, and at the fact that she seems to enjoy meeting people as much as they enjoy meeting her.

In addition, in a world where Katie Price and the 'stars' of The Only Way Is Essex are considered role models, Kate is a tonic for people who despair at the general failure of our public figures to conduct themselves with dignity and sincerity.

You said it well :flowers:. I'm in agreement. In all pictures that I've seen of Catherine's engagements, those who surround her are smiling. She does have the knack to make those around her feel good.

That is up to discussion. But IMHO we can only really start the discussion once we agreed on our position towards femalke, who dare to live the life as one part of an marriage item and do things traditionally. I don't think the suffragettes risked their reputation and Women's Lib activists took their time to force women in a different direction: their aim was the choice between all possibilities life has to offer.

So in my book Catherine had any right to find her prince, fall in love, wait for him to marry her while building a good, endurable relationship and then to take her place as his wife with all the duties, Royal or not, that entails. That was her choice and IMHO she had a right to make it. And now she has started to use her new position in order to make other people aware of problems in society and of the help the monarchy has to offer this society. Even if this means that people are just smiling.

But noone honestly thought she would become a peacebringer and new messiah wrapped in one? And is now disappointed that she is instead just a normal, likeable girl who in her new position does all she can but of course it is not enough? And won't ever be? Do we really need instant success or are we allowed to applaud first steps in the hope a lot more are to come?

But noone honestly thought she would become a peacebringer and new messiah wrapped in one? And is now disappointed that she is instead just a normal, likeable girl who in her new position does all she can but of course it is not enough? And won't ever be? Do we really need instant success or are we allowed to applaud first steps in the hope a lot more are to come?

You've burst my bubble; you mean I can't expect her to pronounce profound words of wisdom and be a seeker of the Holy Grail? There go all my expectations; that's what happens when you place someone on a pedestal and find out they have feet of clay and want them to be so much more than they possibly can. Guess I'd better take off my rose-colored glasses now.;)

Last edited:
She's never going to make some people happy. I think that's something we can take away from every comment about her, from the moment we first found out she was dating William, to the post right before this one. No matter what, some people just aren't going to like her. That includes people here and people all over the world.

I think it's kind of sad, because she hasn't done anything worthy of that, but that's how it goes sometimes, I guess.

Of course, my post was made with tongue firmly implanted in cheek, I thought it couldn't be more obvious and there's no implication that I'm unhappy with Kate. To explain the intent of my original post: my expectations of Kate don't quite reach the superhuman level where she's languishing on a pedestal; I feel she's conducting herself very well in her public role and I think it's a lot easier for people to sit in judgment expecting her to live up to their own expectations than to walk in her shoes and try doing what she does before worldwide scrutiny.

This certainly takes all the fun out of injecting some humor here when you have to explain it!:bang:

Last edited:
Just my observation there seems to be a lot of snobbery on this forum towards Kate. She hasn't done anything wrong as far as I can tell. :)

Kate has done well so far, but I feel it's now time for her to take on some more patronages.
Four is a very small number, when the Queen has around 800!

I think it's time she began adding a few, and attending more events as well.

Kate has done well so far, but I feel it's now time for her to take on some more patronages.

She only just started! I'm sure over time more will be added! With the 4 she has now at least she can dedicate a lot of time with them. :)

I agree with you, but I also love the fact that she wants to be " hands-on-" not just a figure head. You cannot do that if you are Patron of 800 groups. I am satisfied with her # of appearances.

Just my observation there seems to be a lot of snobbery on this forum towards Kate. She hasn't done anything wrong as far as I can tell. :)

You're not the only one who feels this way. I think she's doing a great job, especially for someone who hasn't been a royal for a long period of time. She went on a tour of Canada and US two months after getting married, and did a splendid job. She's only getting better, and if her work is part-time for the moment, so be it. She's not a full time royal, or the wife of the Heir Apparent.

I think she will with time, and since this is the Jubilee Year, she'll have more reasons to be out and about, doing official engagements. However, if she took on more charities, then she won't be able to really work with them, and be just like many other celebrities, who show up at functions several times a year. I admire Catherine for wanting to make a difference, and do it by actually spending time with those who benefit from her work. She won't be able to do that if she had a ton of organizations to devote her attention to.

I agree with you, but I also love the fact that she wants to be " hands-on-" not just a figure head. You cannot do that if you are Patron of 800 groups. I am satisfied with her # of appearances.

I love that she's so 'hands-on' as well. Like you, I'm happy with what she's been doing so far, and look forward to many more engagements in the years to come.

That is up to discussion. But IMHO we can only really start the discussion once we agreed on our position towards femalke, who dare to live the life as one part of an marriage item and do things traditionally. I don't think the suffragettes risked their reputation and Women's Lib activists took their time to force women in a different direction: their aim was the choice between all possibilities life has to offer.

So in my book Catherine had any right to find her prince, fall in love, wait for him to marry her while building a good, endurable relationship and then to take her place as his wife with all the duties, Royal or not, that entails. That was her choice and IMHO she had a right to make it. And now she has started to use her new position in order to make other people aware of problems in society and of the help the monarchy has to offer this society. Even if this means that people are just smiling.

Whew. All I said was she hadn't done anything yet...and that is more than just my opinion. It is a comment and I'm allowed to make a comment.

As for women's lib, I was there. I was accepted into an Ivy League school in the mid-1960s and went on to have a very satisfying career and marriage. Yes, I'm proud of it and am eminently qualified to speak of glass ceilings and female discrimination.

I understand what you are saying and don't disagree with your comments about Kate's "rights." She has the same rights as all the women on earth who were allowed to choose their husband. There is nothing special in that.

Catherine looks more and more sure of herself, it's great for her. I'm sure that she'll be a great representative of the Royal Family. She just needed some time to adopt this new life!

Of course, my post was made with tongue firmly implanted in cheek, I thought it couldn't be more obvious and there's no implication that I'm unhappy with Kate. To explain the intent of my original post: my expectations of Kate don't quite reach the superhuman level where she's languishing on a pedestal; I feel she's conducting herself very well in her public role and I think it's a lot easier for people to sit in judgment expecting her to live up to their own expectations than to walk in her shoes and try doing what she does before worldwide scrutiny.

This certainly takes all the fun out of injecting some humor here when you have to explain it!:bang:

I for one realised it was a tongue in cheek-comment and enjoyed it very much. Keep on cracking jokes - we all love a British kind of joke....:flowers:

All I said was she hadn't done anything yet...and that is more than just my opinion. It is a comment and I'm allowed to make a comment.

I'm not sure what you mean by "not done anything" if you say it that way. For she did something more than just marry and go shopping for new jewels and tiaras. She has taken on official responsibilities and it has leaked in several cases that she does other things in private with an aim to help others and use her new position to do that.

So IMHO your "comment" is just plain untrue or so absolutely biased that it is not a compliment for your Ivy League education to state something so obviously wrong as being more than an opinion, I'm afraid.

But maybe you want to elaborate more about the meaning of "not done anything"? For I'm really, really curious. :flowers:

Kataryn said:
So IMHO your "comment" is just plain untrue or so absolutely biased that it is not a compliment for your Ivy League education to state something so obviously wrong as being more than an opinion, I'm afraid.

KittyAtlanta seems to be using the word "nothing" to say that Catherine has done nothing to deserve the high praise she seems to receive when attending engagements. In that sense, it is not wrong or untrue to say that, it's her opinion. I for one agree with KittyAtlanta that Catherine has really done nothing more than she is expected to. This is the same for all people marrying into every royal family, unless they carve out a specific path to do something extraordinary every event they attend is part of their "job". The same goes for Her Majesty, however the difference there is that as HM has been doing it for 60 years she commands a higher respect than Catherine.

Despite this, Catherine has provided a fresh face for the royals, their wedding, her recent engagements have sparked a new interest in the royal family which was well needed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom