Countdown! The Duchess of Cambridge admitted to hospital: 22 July 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say we have another hour, maybe two. Hopefully not too much longer to go

I've heard of women in the US having mothers in the delivery room but that's still the exception. I know I didn't want anyone but my husband there!

I didn't even want to be there myself, much less to have an entourage! I remember thinking, gee, this is the first thing in my whole life I absolutely can't get out of!

I think you can have whoever you want, but usually just your husband. That also includes your scans, baby classes and everything else that goes with having a baby.

When I had my first son my mother, my sister, and my husband were there. My mother, my first son, my brother, sister and sister in law were with me with the birth of my second son. The hospital staff was fine with it as the father of the baby was not present at the birth.

I wouldn't want a crowd. Just me, the doctor, a nurse if necessary, and the father of the child, if he's alive/still with me. If the father is not in the picture any longer, for whatever reason, then I'd want my mother or my sister, but only then. Otherwise, the less people I have standing around the bed staring at me while I'm in excruciating pain, the better.

My sister was in labor 15 hours with her first one.

In the U.S. I think it's common to have your husband and your mother with you. I would imagine it depends on how young the expectant mother is. If I ever have children I think I would just want my husband. I know several people who had alot of relatives/friends in the delivery room. I think something like that is private.

An the announcement will take time to arrive to us...first the queen and then the public, maybe one hour until she gets from the queen to the public...and to me yes her mother is there but not in the delivery room with her...

She may have been admitted for PROM, which I had, when your water breaks, no contractions and you go to the hospital after a while till they start. Most docs and hospitals have a 24 hour limit for that senario which would lengthen things. Hope it's just an average first baby

Love Prince Charles' comment, he often nails it:)

That is what happened to a close friend of mine. She ended up being induced after hours of waiting after her water broke. I was with her, and it was....unpleasant to say the least. I hope that's not what's happening to poor Kate. :ohmy:

Prince Charles has an excellent sense of humor.;)

I was certainly on the phone to my mom before my husband could call his grandparents! Carole might not be in the delivery room, but she could easily be waiting nearby. Kate is her baby, and she will be uneasy until she knows the 'ordeal' is over. Don't think HM would object to that- after all, a bunch of docs, nurses, technicians, orderlies, housekeepers, etc, will undoubtedly know before HM, so surely Catherine's parents can be informed without stepping on the Queen's toes. I understand the protocol of the Queen being told 'first', but that is somewhat flexible.

:ROFLMAO: Well that's what I was going to say - unless William is really alone with her in that delivery room delivering the baby all by himself there's going to be a whole slew of people who know before the queen. My guess is the "the queen will know first" statement was released to silence the Kate detractors who don't like Carole.

That how it is in the U.S. also.

Speaking only for my family in the US - ages like Charles, Camilla/Will, Laura - I think the kids were a little tired of openness about bodies and so forth from us. They want privacy and dignified behavior. Life goes on.

About 500 years ago, birthing a new royal heir was much different:

And in the past up to 70 people would be present when future monarchs were born, so that they could verify there had been no skulduggery such as an infant impostor being substituted in the royal bedchamber. Archbishops, Cabinet ministers and courtiers were among the dignitaries who would be expected to witness royal births in times past, but when the Duchess of Cambridge (formerly Kate Middleton) gives birth she will only have her husband and a handful of medical staff with her.

I wouldn't want a crowd. Just me, the doctor, a nurse if necessary, and the father of the child, if he's alive/still with me. If the father is not in the picture any longer, for whatever reason, then I'd want my mother or my sister, but only then. Otherwise, the less people I have standing around the bed staring at me while I'm in excruciating pain, the better.

That's my outlook on things. The less people seeing me in pain, screaming, pushing and probably having a meltdown, the better.

So the big day is finally here! :D

Best wishes to the Duchess for a safe delivery of a healthy baby :baby:

Just saw this this on Twitter, The list of peoples who were in the Room When Queen Victoria gave birth to her first Child (Vicky) in 1840. That must have been One Crowded Room and a lot of Pressure!

Attachments

• image-79562019.jpg
    image-79562019.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 215
That's my outlook on things. The less people seeing me in pain, screaming, pushing and probably having a meltdown, the better.

It's such an intensely personal and exposing thing anyway; I mean, you're laid up in bed, your feet are in stirrups, and everyone's just standing around gawking at you. One thing I absolutely would NOT want is for the birth to be recorded. Oh hell no. You're not sticking a camera in my face, or anywhere else, while I'm trying to push out a baby. You can record after the birth, and take all the pictures you like then.

My youngest brother was born 10 weeks premature. My mom's fluid was leaking as she was driving me to morning kindergarten. She went straight to the hospital afterward, taking my other brother, who was almost 3, with her. Even though I was only 5 and a half, I could sense something was wrong during that car ride. We later found out that the placenta was coming away from the wall of the uterus. When school let out at 11:30, my dad came to pick me up (my mom had called him at work) and we drove to pick up his mom (his dad was up north at the cottage; this was in the middle of winter). That night my grandma and all my aunts and uncles babysat my brother and I while our parents were just up the street at the hospital. The doctors gave my mom some medicine to try and stop the labour, but they didn't work. A little after 2 the next afternoon, the doctors didn't want to wait anymore, and prepped my mom for a C-section. My brother was born at 2:52 PM on Saturday, January 20, 1996 weighing 3 pounds 9 ounces, or 1620 grams. Right now he's downstairs playing piano; I can hear him from my room with the door closed.

Last edited:
It's such an intensely personal and exposing thing anyway; I mean, you're laid up in bed, your feet are in stirrups, and everyone's just standing around gawking at you. One thing I absolutely would NOT want is for the birth to be recorded. Oh hell no. You're not sticking a camera in my face, or anywhere else, while I'm trying to push out a baby. You can record after the birth, and take all the pictures you like then.

Recording during a birth? I get that it's to look back at in years to come but I would have someone's head if they put a camera anywhere near me midway through birth. I would want no photographic evidence of me giving birth; no makeup, sweating, crazy hair, need I go on?

72 hours! That's insane. Your friend must be shattered back then. Hope that's not the same thing for Kate....

Yes she and the baby really had a hard time back then. But in the end everything was well.

Agreed. Nothing against them but I think it's more appropriate for the Queen to knows first apart from the medical staff and the new parents

It must be awkward for Carol as she IS The Duchesses mother!

Both families will be informed pretty much at the sametime.

It must be awkward for Carol as she IS The Duchesses mother!

I think we're only talking about a matter of minutes. It has been said that after the baby arrives, that Prince William would immediately phone the Queen and inform her of the birth. At that point, the grandparents would be called and notified. All this is going on while W&C's staff are preparing the notice that is to be hand-delivered to BP.

I've been in York today and I managed to see and say Hello to The Prince of Wales, this was early this morning after Catherine was admitted but you could clearly tell he was excited from his manner.

I just want you all to know that it was my local thunderstorm, power loss, which always freaks out my router, making me incommunicado with the internet that caused the start of labor for the Duchess of Cambridge. You are welcome.

That said...... Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooo I am squealing with delight.

Did anyone else notice that the internet announcement came from CH and was linked to and re-tweeted by the British Monarchy official sites.

Also, our CNN is avoiding the "K" word and exclusively using the Duchess of Cambridge. All of you should be very proud - they listened to you!

I completely agree SM. I want to be alone when I have the flu!So quite frankly a crowd of people-even people that I love-being around me during something like childbirth would not make me happy.

I know a couple of women who even banned their husbands from the delivery room! :p

Will we also get informed if the baby is born late this evening?

Well, I'm really beginning to feel quite tired and a bit impatient (and wishing I'd slept in those couple of hours I had left this morning), but I can only imagine how Kate is feeling. Here's hoping that it happens soon!

I've been in York today and I managed to see and say Hello to The Prince of Wales, this was early this morning after Catherine was admitted but you could clearly tell he was excited from his manner.

Oh, how lovely that you got to meet him on such a special day!

She's been at the hospital almost 12 hours now. And you usually have to wait until you're about 4cm [or something near there] gone I think before they'll admit you, I'm not sure though if that's the same thing for Kate or not. So here's for hoping that we haven't got much longer to wait.

Does anyone have any idea how much time will pass between the baby being born and the formal announcement being brought to Buckingham Palace?

Lumutqueen, how exciting.

I hope she has an easy delivery. The first is the hardest, then it gets really hard (until s/he sleeps through the night), hard, but fun (1-3 years), then easier (4-11), then hardest (12-18). I wish them both the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom