Christening of Princess Charlotte of Cambridge: July 5, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Lionesses may have failed narrowly to make the Women’s World Cup final, but there is one Englishwoman who puts it in the back of the net every time. Duchess of Cambridge to the Palace, Princess Kate to the rest of us, she somehow manages to avoid scoring own goals even when there is a huge, open net hungrily waiting for a nude court shoe to hove into view. I mean, a very public event involving two small children still in nappies, an as-yet-unbesmirched cream designer outfit, and the world’s scariest in-laws: what could possibly go wrong?

If it was me, or any other woman I know, pretty much everything, actually. Lacking Kate’s height, our head would just about have come up to the handle of the Millson, a Daimler among perambulators. Instead of looking willowy and serene, we would have resembled the dwarf in Game of Thrones heaving a recalcitrant barge up the church path.

Our mutinous two-year-old, ready for his afternoon nap, would be sitting on the pram, legs dangling over the side, aiming sullen kicks at the “pregnancy bump” we have somehow failed to lose and which our hastily purchased new dress is doing nothing to hide.[/QU

The affair bore the hallmark of her mother’s eye for detail, astonishing self-discipline and sense of fun. Pushing the Millson to the church was a lovely idea, as well as a sign of how far the Royal family has come since infants Andrew and Edward cut their teeth in the very same vintage vehicle.

Yes, it certainly helped to have a uniformed Norland nanny on hand to stop Prince George running amok in the graveyard, but few will begrudge Kate the help. Plus the Duchess cunningly avoided putting little Charlotte over her shoulder, thereby avoiding the epaulette of sick that bedecks the uniform of every novice mum.

After this heavenly christening, the Church of England should brace itself for a baptism bonanza.
More: Hats off to the Duchess of Cambridge for the christening from heaven - Telegraph

Christening of Princess Charlotte: July 5, 2015

When does the nanny usually leave, like do the Duchess of Brabant or the other teen royals still use one? Does she just gradually morph into an unofficial chaperone/advisor? I know QEII's stayed till the end of her life.

I don't know what their official roles was in between handling different royal baby batches but Nenne Björnberg who was the nanny for both the future Carl XIV Gustav and his sisters later had the same position with Victoria, CP and Madeleine. She also took on the position of Head housekeeper at the royal palaces in Stockholm, Rosersberg and Tullgarn (1974-?). Today we can see that Elisabeth Zimmerman who cared for V, CP, M after Nenne (1979-1991) is one of the nannies taking care of Estelle.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

From all staff at any Household, the nanny or the governess comes the most close in the core private lifesphere of the family. That means they need 100% trust in a person. Often a friendship develops but of course there remains an employer-employee relationship. Nannies and governesses are even included when there are formal celebrations, exactly like Fraülein Maria in the Sound of Music, when Freiin Elsa von Schräder came to the house to see Captain Von Trapp. See picture and picture (showing Amalia's nannies Miss Görtz resp. Miss Van den Bent). I do not know if all royal families make use of a nanny, sometimes they seem invisible.

The Sound of Music is one of my all time favorite movies...just watching the DVD makes me want to dance and sing. The wedding scene always takes my breath away.:ROFLMAO:

ITA nannies are an integral-perhaps even the most important-member of any Royal household.

Maternity leave is kind of like sick leave.. The baby is not sleeping through the night, you are nursing every few hours. Even with someone cooking and cleaning for you and a nanny on call you are still exhausted. All this tends to ease up, earlier for some, later for others
At the christening, one child cried on the way in, the other on the way out. And that's just what we witnessed. I doubt kate is ever left alone with both children at this point, still it is not a vacation playing patty cake

Last edited:
Maternity leave is kind of like sick leave.. The baby is not sleeping through the night, you are nursing every few hours. Even with someone cooking and cleaning for you and a nanny on call you are still exhausted. All this tends to ease up, earlier for some, later for others
At the christening, one child cried on the way in, the other on the way out. And that's just what we witnessed. I doubt kate is ever left alone with both children at this point, still it is not a vacation playing patty cake

Really! If you don't have to cook clean wash iron take the rubbish out feed the dog etc etc plus the nanny looks after the 2 year old all you have to do feed,change nappies and cuddle the baby .. Oh wouldn't that be wonderful. Good for her and I really mean that, but let's be real it's nothing like the average mum of 2 deals with.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The Kate is just a another mom on maternity leave having the same struggles as mom of every mom of a toddler and new born is more than a bit ridiculous. You know what, Kate may be hands on and do much of the work and end up exhausted at the end of the day we don't know she does not and kudos' to her if she does but the difference is she makes a choice and can stop Anytime she wants.

I guess Camilla will be granny also, what else can he call her? Step granny ? Cam?

What would be kind of cute is Gramilla. :D

It would not surprise me at all if they just refer to Camilla as Camilla. Considering the age they boys were when their father remarried and the background of baggage that comes with her.

LaRae

I can't see George just calling her Camilla.

I don't know why not...or perhaps a diminutive of Camilla.

LaRae

Because it is highly disrespectfull?he is a small child and she is not only his step grandmother but an elderly woman and least of all a Royal highness.

They call the Queen granny. I think the "royal highness" isn't quite so high in the instep, she seems very down to earth about such things.

LaRae

I get that Yes but for a small child to an elderly lady he is related to and he will see fairly often her first name is not appropriate IMO. Would you let your small child call a relative by her given name with no other title?

Granny is sweet and totally fine because she is his granny.

That would depend on the person and how the family is....we never called older female family members by any title ...other than 'aunt' or granny etc. Otherwise we just used their name of the person.

In the deep south it's common to see the appellation of 'Miss' before the name of an older person but that's cultural to that region.

If they call the Queen granny....the family isn't standing on any sort of formal ceremony about it....being the situation and all it just wouldn't surprise me that they refer to Camilla by her name or a shortened version of it (Milla or something).

LaRae

Fact is Though George has two grandmothers on earth Camilla and Carole, one bio and one step. To a child this is in consequential.for them to force the child to make a distinction... One is grandma and all that signifies to people and the other is simply called by her first name like you would a person you barely know sends mixed messages to the kid and says the wrong message To the public

Actually fact is we don't know what he calls her because no one has said. It's got nothing to do with genetics (my maternal grandmother died when my mom was a teen so my step grandmother was all I knew...I called her granny Emma)....just saying it is possible due to the history of things they call her by name or a appellation of her name.

I mean the family has been careful about things with Camilla ...she doesn't even use the title PoW. That's all for the public perception of things. Possible it's carried over into other areas.

LaRae

Fact is this has nothing to with Charlotte or her christening so let's agree to disagree and I bet we find out eventually :)

Really! If you don't have to cook clean wash iron take the rubbish out feed the dog etc etc plus the nanny looks after the 2 year old all you have to do feed,change nappies and cuddle the baby .. Oh wouldn't that be wonderful. Good for her and I really mean that, but let's be real it's nothing like the average mum of 2 deals with.

I never had Maturity leave from my employer [government] and was required to deplete sick and vacation time if I wanted to return to that job. But, everyone, myself included had at least a month to 6 weeks of mother-in-law or own mother staying to help. This was just a common practice. It was definitely the days that husband never contributed as the lucky mothers of today. My husband never changed a diaper or bathed or fed any of my girls in his life. He would certainly play gams with them once they got older or read to them. I personally feel the average woman with the helpful husbands of this generation is wonderful and something that my time did not have. The men didn't feel it was their responsibility. That was "woman's work"!

Fact is Though George has two grandmothers on earth Camilla and Carole, one bio and one step. To a child this is in consequential.for them to force the child to make a distinction... One is grandma and all that signifies to people and the other is simply called by her first name like you would a person you barely know sends mixed messages to the kid and says the wrong message To the public

All children (that I know )have different names for their grandparent to tell them apart. I'm nanny to all my grandchildren the other side to my daughters children is Nonna my sons children call their other grandmother grandma my other sons daughter calls her other grandmother Nan.
Sometimes it's a first in call who gets to be called what but it sorts out in the end and I'm sure they are all happy with whatever their called

Christening of Princess Charlotte: July 5, 2015

Did anyone actually hear William say the Granny's house line?

I heard the they're coming line after George comes to a halt and looks back to the rest of the family says something that sounded like wait.

The videos I watched, I couldn't hear any of the conversations by the church door.

It's a known fact that they Queen's grandkids call her Granny but they used a different name for the Queen Mum. I can't remember it

Anyone who thinks taking care of a baby, with, or without a nanny is easy, has more than likely never done it, or had a very easy baby from the start. Yes, Catherine may not take out the trash, or do laundry, but she's still caring for Charlotte, and maybe even George. We don't know if Charlotte is a fussy baby, who only wants her Mama to hold her, especially when upset, or not feeling good. I know we were told through the press that according to Charles she sleeps through the night, but that may not be the case all the time. No matter how much help she may have, she's still the mother, and a lot of the bonding takes place at this stage, so I doubt she relegates a lot of the things to the nanny. When my mother first had my sister, she didn't do anything during the day, but care for her. Cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. waited until my stepdad got home. She never had a nanny, but she still only tended to the baby when alone.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Amaryllus...I found an old article!

While at the Sandringham Flower Show, Prince Charles reportedly revealed that he wants his new grandson—or "Prince Georgie," as he'll call him—to call him "grandpa" (not "granddad," because he doesn't like that), while Camilla Duchess of Cornwall said baby G will call her "Gaga," a name her current grandchildren use to address her.
"I don't know if it's because they think I am," she joked, "but it is still very sweet."

Gaga? Grandpa? What Prince George Will Call Charles and Camilla! | E! Online

I think the bottom line is a child shoukd not be calling an older woman by her name, that just seems very disrespectful. I know in some cases children use the title aunt or uncle for a close non related friend of their parents.

Our kids always called older adults Mr/Mrs surname. Unless invited by that person to use their first name.

It's that simple.

LaRae

Amaryllus...I found an old article!

While at the Sandringham Flower Show, Prince Charles reportedly revealed that he wants his new grandson—or "Prince Georgie," as he'll call him—to call him "grandpa" (not "granddad," because he doesn't like that), while Camilla Duchess of Cornwall said baby G will call her "Gaga," a name her current grandchildren use to address her.
"I don't know if it's because they think I am," she joked, "but it is still very sweet."

Gaga? Grandpa? What Prince George Will Call Charles and Camilla! | E! Online

That's what I would have guessed as well, that any of Charles' grandchildren are likely to call Camilla the same thing her own grandchildren call her. That is, in my experience, generally how it seems to work in a lot of blended families.

Now, my older nephew & younger niece call my mom and dad "Grandma NAME" & "Grandpa NAME" because that's what their older half-sister calls my parents. And the reason the older one calls them that is because she already had a "Grandma" & "Grandpa" when her mom married my brother so she just added on each person's first name to distinguish between grandparents. It's still a sign of respect because none of them are referred to by their first name alone.

It also doesn't surprise me that George (and probably the rest of the Queen's great-grandchildren) call her "Granny". That's what all the grandkids call her and there's not really a need, I don't think, to differentiate between her being their great-grandmother versus their grandmother. It's still a nickname that denotes both respect and affection.

Granny,Gaga, Granmama... Same diff-As long as it is done with affection and respect it is all good.

This discussion makes me wonder what Camilla's grandchildren call Prince Charles?

Back
Top Bottom