Christening of Princess Charlotte of Cambridge: July 5, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The shorts might be the same but the shirts are definitely different. George's shirt has three loose lines of embroidery/smocking whereas William's shirt has one row of tight embroidery/smocking, with some sort of design in the middle of each breast.

And, actually, I'm not sure the shorts are the same - George's has white buttons whereas there are no buttons on William's. Very similar outfits, to be sure.

Last edited:
George's outfit is similar to William but not the same. George doesn't have the red around the collar/button and there is a design in Will's chest striping that George doesn't have

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Princess Charlotte was pushed to her christening in a vintage pram the Queen used for two of her own children as the world was given their first glimpse of the Cambridges as a family of four.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge delighted well-wishers by walking from nearby Sandringham House with toddler Prince George and nine week-old Charlotte, who was dressed in the elaborate cream lace and satin royal christening gown, to the Church of St Mary Magdalene.
Kate pushed the Millson pram - once used for the Duke of York and the Earl of Wessex - while William held George's hand as the prince, who is nearly two, waved at the crowds.
Princess Charlotte's christening: Live updates as nation gathers to celebrate royal's special service - Mirror Online

George's outfit is similar to William but not the same. George doesn't have the red around the collar/button and there is a design in Will's chest striping that George doesn't have

George's is by Rachel Riley - Red Smocked Set

It's nice to see the same pram used for Andrew and Edward being brought out again as it's beautiful.

Camilla had a very unfortunate moment with the wind and her skirts!

Little George is so adorable and nice to see the old fashioned Cross pram in use!

I saw that. I hope a low-life photographer didn't take advantage. :mad:

Poor Camilla. :sad:

George is a little ham :wub:. I love his wave. He looked around with curiosity, and appeared to be relatively comfortable, surrounded by a crowd of well-wishers. The pram is lovely, and I'm glad it was pulled out for this occasion. It looks better than a modern buggy, especially with all the formal attire. Poor Charlotte! Being woken up from a nap, and taken out of a comfy, covered pram is not pleasant. I hope she'll calm down once they get inside. Can't wait for official photos.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I liked that they got a crowd (after all that rain) and were cheered as the came up. I thought the Queen looked nice in rose pink and Kate's hat was very pretty.

I think it was a bit of a bumpy ride for Charlotte though the pram was very sturdy. She wasn't impressed! George looked very inquisitively at the people and photographers. He's a very active child! As soon as William let go of his hand he was off!

I liked that they got a crowd (after all that rain) and were cheered as the came up. I thought the Queen looked nice in rose pink and Kate's hat was very pretty.

I think it was a bit of a bumpy ride for Charlotte though the pram was very sturdy. She wasn't impressed! George looked very inquisitively at the people and photographers. He's a very active child! As soon as William let go of his hand he was off!
Very beautiful, all of it! Such a nice little walk !!

I'm VERY disappointed in the coverage though. I don't know if it was the press or the PR department that screwed up, but someone clearly did!! Really bad!

Aren't there any pictures of the godparents at the church?

All I keep seeing are general photos of them - the same ones over and over.

Keep checking the DM - they now have posted some of the GPs and also the Middletons in the car.

I saw the Archbishop talking to them outside the church on Sky News. The pictures will take some time to get posted so you keep seeing the early ones over and over

The pram is over 50 years old used for Andrew and Edward probably doesn't have the most modern suspension

The godparents walked back from the church with the Cambridge's, so we should get plenty of photos of them soon.

:previous: That is a very lovely photo! I can imagine that there'll be lots of cuteness at this christening. :D

Ohh, George and Charlotte are just the cutest. :wub: Charlotte looked very cosy in her pram and it's nice that it's the same pram that Andrew and Edward went in. Little George's waves are adorable.

I'm a bit disappointed that there are no royal godparents but thinking about it, as others have said, George and Charlotte will have royal role models who are close to them so perhaps the Cambridges didn't feel that royal godparents were necessary. It's lovely though that they've included a relative and friend of both William and Catherine in the godparents. How is Adam Middleton related to Catherine? I've read that he's her cousin, though am not sure if that is correct. And it's also nice to see one of Diana's nieces as a godparent, since Charlotte is being christened in the same church as her late grandmother. To me it was quite predictable that a van Straubenzee would be a godfather.

Last edited:
:previous: That is a very lovely photo! I can imagine that there'll be lots of cuteness at this christening. :D

Ohh, George and Charlotte are just the cutest. :wub: Charlotte looked very cosy in her pram and it's nice that it's the same pram that Andrew and Edward went in. Little George's waves are adorable.

I'm a bit disappointed that there are no royal godparents but thinking about it, as others have said, George and Charlotte will have royal role models who are close to them so perhaps the Cambridges didn't feel that royal godparents were necessary. It's lovely though that they've included a relative and friend of both William and Catherine in the godparents. How is Adam Middleton related to Catherine? I've read that he's her cousin, though am not sure if that is correct. And it's also nice to see one of Diana's nieces as a godparent, since Charlotte is being christened in the same church as her late grandmother. To me it was quite predictable that a van Straubenzee would be a godfather.

Michael's older brother Richard has two children, Lucy and Adam.

Why didn't she just walk to the church holding the baby? It's a nice day and some of those people waited for hours and really saw nothing. This family are like that though, they can't decide where they stand with the public but it was their own decision to allow people to come so why hide the child on a pram?

Prince William ans CP Frederick are 4th cousins, Now as an Englishman I think it bizarre to pick Fred based on he's a continental royal. If they were friends maybe but not just because he is royal

Anglican godparents are expected to play a significant role in their godchild's life
You are correct about the role of godparents in the Church of England.
https://www.churchofengland.org/weddings-baptisms-funerals/baptism/becoming-a-godparent.aspx

To choose someone as godparent is a serious decision and the D&D of Cambridge have picked friends and relatives that are meaningful to them. It also shows how little we know of the friends and relatives that are close to them. To have an uneven number of godparents is common in the Anglican church. Girls would have more women than men as godparents and boys more men.

One often would not choose close relatives, i.e. brothers or sister of either parent as a godparent as they already have an important role in the life of the child. The godparent's role is in addition to the role of family members.

Why didn't she just walk to the church holding the baby? It's a nice day and some of those people waited for hours and really saw nothing. This family are like that though, they can't decide where they stand with the public but it was their own decision to allow people to come so why hide the child on a pram?
It is so interesting that no matter what they do there are always complaints. They choose to use a pram. That is why they did it.

All the people will see the pictures of the baby. The pram was comfortable for the baby and she could sleep in piece.

:previous: Adam Middleton is Kate's cousin, the son of Michael Middleton's brother. Adam married last summer at the Dorchester Hotel, and both Pippa and Kate were guests.

Back
Top Bottom