Christening of Princess Charlotte of Cambridge: July 5, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i have to agree with you, hence my question before on what was so special about opening the paddock, or whether it was especially open for the event... clearly not.
I think the palace could have avoid to say that... :ermm:. There was no need to underline where the "commoners" are supposed to stand...

I thought the same when it was announced at the chistening of the twins that the people of monaco were encoraged to gather ouside the palace to cheer on the babies...:ohmy: like that was what was expected from them... little things that make me annoyed...

If the paddock is usually closed to the public, then it makes sense to announce that it will be open. Don't really see it as them underlining where people are supposed to stand, but as them informing the public that a private space will be open.

Last edited:
It likely will provide additional room for the public and it is possible that the RPOs had given their input on the security arrangements for the event. It would perhaps reduce the need to bring in security barriers.

I think the palace could have avoid to say that... :ermm:. There was no need to underline where the "commoners" are supposed to stand...

I thought the same when it was announced at the chistening of the twins that the people of monaco were encoraged to gather ouside the palace to cheer on the babies...:ohmy: like that was what was expected from them... little things that make me annoyed...

It's not uncommon at royal events - or other VIP events - to make it known if the event will be publicly accessible in any way. It's being helpful more than anything, I think. If there are people in the area who are hoping to catch a glimpse of the family (and the Palace has referred to these people as "well-wishers, which is hardly derogatory), they now know where they can go, and they don't have to worry about turning up and and being disappointed because they can't get anywhere nearby.

I remember when I was at university and the Queen paid a visit to the city where I was studying, and I really wanted to be able to go see her, but none of her engagements seemed to be taking place anywhere where I might be able to see her. Therefore, I didn't bother to go (and later found out that, indeed, almost all the events had been invitation-only). However, on another occasion when I was at my university, Prince Charles was paying a visit to the university itself. His meetings there were private, but the university let it be known where people could gather to see him when he arrived. And, indeed, he took time to come around and speak to a lot of people, including me. So sometimes it's very helpful to let the "commoners" know if they're welcome and where they can go.

Thank you for sharing your experiences Isabella.

Thank you for sharing your experiences Isabella.

No problem. ;) Just wanted to underline the importance of organization and communication with such events, as I think it makes it easier for everyone involved.

By the sounds of it, it seems like it will be similar to what happens at Christmas. I don't know if the paddock is open for Christmas but there are normally a lot of people watching from the side of path from the main house to the church.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Let me predict, Camilla will wear the mint green outfit worn at Ascot.

The women will probably all match except the Queen who will wear pink.
:lol:You will probably be correct Queen Camilla.

It's not uncommon at royal events - or other VIP events - to make it known if the event will be publicly accessible in any way. It's being helpful more than anything, I think. If there are people in the area who are hoping to catch a glimpse of the family (and the Palace has referred to these people as "well-wishers, which is hardly derogatory), they now know where they can go, and they don't have to worry about turning up and and being disappointed because they can't get anywhere nearby.

I remember when I was at university and the Queen paid a visit to the city where I was studying, and I really wanted to be able to go see her, but none of her engagements seemed to be taking place anywhere where I might be able to see her. Therefore, I didn't bother to go (and later found out that, indeed, almost all the events had been invitation-only). However, on another occasion when I was at my university, Prince Charles was paying a visit to the university itself. His meetings there were private, but the university let it be known where people could gather to see him when he arrived. And, indeed, he took time to come around and speak to a lot of people, including me. So sometimes it's very helpful to let the "commoners" know if they're welcome and where they can go.

Thank you for your info but I still don't like the situation... To me it looks like "you can stay confined there"...

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 18m18 minutes ago
Mario Testino will take Princess Charlotte's official christening photos, Kensington Palace says.

Simon Perry ‏@SPerryPeoplemag 26m26 minutes ago
Mario Testino will take official portraits following Princess Charlotte's baptism. He says he is "overwhelmed and honoured" to be chosen

I had a feeling that he would take the official pictures. I'm really looking forward to this event and pictures.

Last edited:
Thank you for your info but I still don't like the situation... To me it looks like "you can stay confined there"...

Of course that's what it means. the public are always confined because royalty does not go into any crowd for security reasons.

what is different here is that this is a private area that the public will be able to go to if they want. And that is key - people who want to go can.

^^^The same is true for any elected HoS or Head of Government in most western nations. As a citizen you can come and see him/her but your proximity is likely to be tightly controlled. In all honesty it might be easier for me as an American citizen to see/meet the Cambridges than the Obamas.

I read the paddock announcement by KP as an answer to questions they had received as the christening was taking place during the tourist season (when Sandringham is open to the public- tho not on that day) so KP announced the paddock would be open as on other royal services at the St Mary Magdalene.

^^^The same is true for any elected HoS or Head of Government in most western nations. As a citizen you can come and see him/her but your proximity is likely to be tightly controlled. In all honesty it might be easier for me as an American citizen to see/meet the Cambridges than the Obamas.

Oh, definitely. Having had experience meeting both presidents and royals, there's no doubt that the royals are much more accessible, and the security for royals is much, much more relaxed.

British Royals ‏@britishroyals Jun 29 The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, the Middletons & Prince George will be at Princess Charlotte's christening at Sandringham on Sunday

Members of the public have been invited to share in Princess Charlotte's christening this Sunday by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

The royal couple have asked for the paddock outside St Mary Magdalene Church, Sandringham, to be opened to the public so they can see the baby before and after her baptism.

The church itself will be open to invited guests only, but thousands of people are expected to turn out for a rare opportunity to see the fourth in line to the throne.

It will be the first time in living memory that the christening of such a senior member of the Royal family has involved the public in any way.
More: Princess Charlotte christening: public will be welcome outside church on Sunday - Telegraph

Mario Testino will photos of Princess Charlotte’s christening party | Royal | News | Daily Express

What Would Kate Do@WWKD_Official
The Royal Mint has released photographs of the official coin to mark Princess Charlotte's christening

https://twitter.com/WWKD_Official/status/616030019794665472

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course that's what it means. the public are always confined because royalty does not go into any crowd for security reasons.

what is different here is that this is a private area that the public will be able to go to if they want. And that is key - people who want to go can.

Well, I hope at least this means there will not be complaints like ti was with George: many fans said they were disapointed, because they had waited all day long to see George and all the were able to see were the rushing of cars.

If fans were disappointed it's their own fault. The palace announced the christening location well ahead of time and the Chapel Royal isn't visible from the street. The most they were ever going to get was cars driving in that was well apparent before the day.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 4h4 hours ago
Flowers brought by well-wishers to Princess Charlotte's christening on Sunday will be given to East Anglia's Children's Hospices.

Catherine's charity.

That's nice. What else can they do with all the flowers. I understand why people want to give flowers and little gifts but I wish people would just give donations in Princess Charlotte's name.

That's nice. What else can they do with all the flowers. I understand why people want to give flowers and little gifts but I wish people would just give donations in Princess Charlotte's name.

I think some will do just that.

Oh, definitely. Having had experience meeting both presidents and royals, there's no doubt that the royals are much more accessible, and the security for royals is much, much more relaxed.

You are certainly correct on that. I also have had that "honor" and found meeting a royal much more enjoyable and completely comfortable. American presidents and wives, not so much although fairly pleasant.

It would be fine in this case, but generally giving a donation to a charity in someone's name is a mixed blessing- the person is immediately targeted by dozens of other charities and it quickly becomes a nuisance.

That is true - but donations can be made anonymously.

That is true - but donations can be made anonymously.

Even donations made in someone's name?
How would you keep the person's name from becoming known, in that case?

Even donations made in someone's name?
How would you keep the person's name from becoming known, in that case?

If you sent cash in the mail with note and don't put a return address, the charity isn't going to know who it from.

Actually I was thinking donation boxes....After the 2004 Boxing Day Tsunami I made a donation to one of the organizations. And as Maribel said, I was quickly overran with appeals from other organizations. Since then, any donation I make is anonymous when I can or in a donation box. After our dear Cinrit died, I made a donation into one of our local animal shelter boxes. They didn't know who donated or in whose memory. But I did. And the shelter benefited.
So those who want to donate to EACH could just quietly hand an envelope to one of the EACH volunteers. No fuss, no muss. Better than flowers. OK. Not as pretty but more useful.

Back
Top Bottom