Christening of Princess Charlotte of Cambridge: July 5, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some of the Beaton photos are lovely, but there are some bad ones among the bunch too.

It's interesting to see the various reactions to the Cambridge photos. Some really like them, while others think they're terrible. It just goes to show that art really is subjective.

They may well have bundles of photos at home since Catherine loves photography, it's just that we many never see them.

Those photos of Philip and Elizabeth that are sooo blonde are truly awful. They look like fake Hollywood photos from the 40's.

I have no idea what most of those people look like. He's a child, that in just a few years will have more responsibility than most. Personally, I couldn't fathom being that much of a philanthropist. Then being all set up to receive millions of dollars in inheritance, how is one supposed to ever really do for themselves if they have to constantly do for others and be faced with dealing with all the family money? What a nightmare. They all have their riches and notoriety, but, I wouldn't sacrifice my anonymity and independence to walk in their shoes, not for a second. Quite a challenge they all face, being who they are doing what they do, admirable really, but they are suited for it. The children look very much like their father and that side of the family which I already mentioned.

People can look like different family members at different stages of life, too, and these kids will probably be no exception. We've all seen a lot of pictures of them and their family members because of who they are. That's part of the fun of looking at family pictures like this one. Comparing the photos of William and George at the same age that were in the papers and the family photo, I really saw the resemblance George has to his maternal grandfather in face shape and expressions. William's face was longer at that age. Charlotte, to me, looks a lot like pictures of her mother as a youngster.

Just with a quick glance at the Beaton photos, I notice his use of shade and light to add depth and dimensions to his subject and the background.
The family group photo from Princess Charlotte's christening seems to me to lack warmth despite the luminous smiles.

The one of George and William is rather cute. It's also cute how George has his knees to his chest and is leaning near his dad. Contrast Georges christening photos with Charlotte's: George was demanding to be faced forward with his arms in the air ready to scream "hello world". Charlotte looks so over the whole process, like she's saying "you all bore me. Let me sleep and don't wake me unless something exciting happens. : D
George really does look like Michael Middleton, even more than his own kids. I wonder if Charlotte's eyes are hazel like Kate's because they seem to change color.

I think the photos are all right, needs more warmth but I like the imperfections especially the one of the Duchess with the Princess. They shouldn't try to please everybody because that is impossible but I think as they do this for longer, they will soon find a photographer that suits them best. I suggest finding someone that the Danish Royals use for their kids!

I think the photos are all right, needs more warmth but I like the imperfections especially the one of the Duchess with the Princess. They shouldn't try to please everybody because that is impossible but I think as they do this for longer, they will soon find a photographer that suits them best. I suggest finding someone that the Danish Royals use for their kids!

I don't know who the Danes use, however I am sure there would be an outcry from the chattering classes and press if they chose someone who was not British, or at least had lived in the UK for many years.:whistling:

Beaton was amazing, but he also retouched a lot to the annoyance of the Queen Mother.
Dorothy Wilding's photos were also gorgeous. Except the ones of a young Philip and Elizabeth, who are suddenly super blond :confused:

National Portrait Gallery - Large Image - NPG x37999; Queen Elizabeth II; Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
I agree that the young Elizabeth is waaay to blond in this picture, but Prince Philip was a towhead who only slightly darkened with age before he went gray.

Not only that but the Danes have had better portraits done of them. Unfortunately bigotry would keep WnK from using someone who was great but not British.

LOL fair enough. All I'm saying is, they could learn from the Danes, I'm sure the UK is teeming with talented photographers who could hit the right note with the Cambridges, not give people this plasticky-too unrealistically glamorous royals.

Not only that but the Danes have had better portraits done of them. Unfortunately bigotry would keep WnK from using someone who was great but not British.

I wouldn't quite call it bigotry. Just from a "diplomatic" perspective, royals or presidents or other public figures often try to favor homegrown talent (for photographers, fashion designers, etc.). It's the same in the U.S., with any president and first lady - there aren't strict rules about it, but they're expected to favor U.S. talent or U.S.-made products.

There are plenty of great photographers in the UK, I'm sure they could find someone who's better suited for taking family pictures.

Camilla and the Queen look great.

The problem with the group photo is the Middleton blend into the background because there is no pop of color.

It would have looked better if George was dressed in powder blue. William dressed in a grey or dark grey suit with a pink shirt and grey tie. Or a grey suit with a white shirt and pink tie.

Carole and Pippa dresses would have photographed better if they were pastels. Maybe a pale turquoise on Carole and a tangerine on Pippa.

All the black suits blend into each other.

The way the Middletons are dressed forces the eyes to the direction of the Queen and Camilla.

Last edited:
Overall, I like the photos and my favourite is the one of Catherine and Charlotte, where Charlotte is looking at the cameras. I do agree though that the shot of the Cambridges in the garden looks a bit photoshopped. It seems as if the photo was taken inside, and Testino photoshopped them into a photo of the gardens.

Looking back at George's christening photos, the first thing I noticed was that George looked strikingly similar to his younger sister - they even have the same long eyelashes and eyebrows to me. They both look like Catherine mostly IMO, however in the group shot of George's christening, I also could see a resemblance to William.

I agree it would've been nice to see a photo of the godparents with Charlotte, but I don't think they did one for George either.

Camilla and the Queen look great.

The problem with the group photo is the Middleton blend into the background because there is no pop of color.

It would have looked better if George was dressed in powder blue. William dressed in a grey or dark grey suit with a pink shirt and grey tie. Or a grey suit with a white shirt and pink tie.

Carole and Pippa dresses would have photographed better if they were pastels. Maybe a pale turquoise on Carole and a tangerine on Pippa.

All the black suits blend into each other.

The way the Middletons are dressed forces the eyes to the direction of the Queen and Camilla.
I think it might be on purpose actually. To "show who the royals are" and keep the "who do the middletons think they are"-brigade on a minimum.

I do not think it was deliberate. I think the Middleton family dressed to be appropriate but didn't think how their clothes would photograph.

Catherine who is interested in photography should have coordinated the clothes of the women and the men.

Carole should have worn lavender or lilac or pale turquoise. Pippa could have worn pale green or pale tangerine or pale yellow.

The Middleton men and William could have matched Charles' suit color with white shirts and pink or blue ties.

The problem with the photograph of Catherine and Charlotte is they enlarged her head so that her features can be seen.

Compare the size of Charlotte's left hand to her right hand.

The black and white photo makes George's teeth look creepy. I'm sure in color the teeth would not have been the focus of the photograph.

In the family picture, Charlotte hand look abnormally large as does George's. It is like the lens was bent. The photo would have been better if Charlotte's face was at the same level at George's.

I wish they had released a photo of the RF (The Queen, Prince Philip, Prince Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine, George and Charlotte) then the photo would have looked balanced.

Overall these photos are better than George's christening as they are not photoshopped as much. They left the bags under Charlotte's eyes.

She is also a world famous photographer so she is given a pass. But if it was a no name US photographer, there would probably be a stink raised.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

i usually love mario testino's pictures, but was rather disappointed about the christening pictures for charlotte. the group picture is fine, after all this was a royal event and an official family portrait is needed but the 3 others were interesting. george looks disoriented in the family photo of W+K+G+C, whilst william and george don't look their best in their portrait. the picture of kate and charlotte is by far the worst, and looks like anyone could snap a picture that puts its subjects, especially charlotte, the star of the day, in such bad light.

I don't see how the pic of Charlotte with Kate puts her in a bad light.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I think they meant literally bad light....the overexposed flash.

LaRae

It is curious that the Archbishop of Canterbury referred to Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna (now a saint in the Russian Orthodox Church) as one of Princess Charlotte's "ancestors" when Princess Charlotte, as far as I know, does not descend from the Grand Duchess.

She's related to her via Prince Phillip. His grandmother was Elizabeth's sister. Come to think of it, Queen Elizabeth was related to her too, though less directly. For sure via Queen Victoria.

I'm surprised and impressed that was brought up. Very nice.

Last edited:
Annie Leibovitz is an US-citizen and has made pictures of the Queen. So far the assumed "bigotry" in the royal family.

If I made u think I was saying the RF was bigoted that is my mistake. What I meant is if Cate or William used the much better Danish photographers the media would drag them over the coals for being un British.
I also think there are good British photographers and painters out there thry just aren't being utilized. I remember when Kate's atrocious self portrait came out and there were a lot of comparisons with the work of other painters and they did much better than the official one.
Also Kate's pictures of her babies were some of the best I have ever seen.

They are a lovely family but count me as one of the people who is disappointed with the quality of the photos. Even the best photographer can have a bad day or bad luck with the lighting.

Regardless, the whole family looks proud and happy, which is the important thing.

Grand Duchess Elizabeth's mother was Princess Alice daughter of Victoria and Albert. Elizabeth's sister Victoria Marchioness of Milford Haven is Prince Philip's maternal grandmother. Another sister was Alix the Russian Empress.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Back
Top Bottom