Christening of Prince Louis of Cambridge: July 9, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And that's my point. The BRF's christenings are private events, there's not a lot of fuss about them and as such, they're clearly not necessarily events HM feels like she's obliged to prioritise over work. I legitimately can't see why people are making such a big deal out of it when she did the exact same thing six years ago.

The why has already been stated.

LaRae

And that's my point. The BRF's christenings are private events, there's not a lot of fuss about them and as such, they're clearly not necessarily events HM feels like she's obliged to prioritise over work. I legitimately can't see why people are making such a big deal out of it when she did the exact same thing six years ago.

Well, the thing about the christenings being "private" or not do not count for me. If gr grandparents are in proper health, why then shouldn´ t they attend (except may be if there is a family feud)?
When the Queen didn´t attend 6 years ago I find that quite odd, too. If my great granny would not come to my child´ s christening, I´d be very upset!

No live broadcast of the arrivals from Skynews this time?

So according to the announcement, guests will be served slices of christening cake which is from one of the tiers of the Cambridge wedding cake. Thank goodness there was still enough left from George and Charlotte's christenings!

I cannot believe they are still serving up slices of the Cambridge wedding cake circa 2011.:sick:

I hope that's a misprint.

I cannot believe they are still serving up slices of the Cambridge wedding cake circa 2011.:sick:

I hope that's a misprint.

It's not. I know fruitcake last a long time, but I feel like there should be expiration date for all food items. It's well past time.

Well, the thing about the christenings being "private" or not do not count for me. If gr grandparents are in proper health, why then shouldn´ t they attend (except may be if there is a family feud)?
When the Queen didn´t attend 6 years ago I find that quite odd, too. If my great granny would not come to my child´ s christening, I´d be very upset!

But different families have different priorities and attach various amounts of importance to attendance at events like this. My grandmother is a little younger than the Queen and my first child is actually being baptized later this month. I wouldn’t think twice if she decided it was too much for her to attend the ceremony. And she’s nowhere near as busy or as active as the Queen.

In terms of the Queen’s great grandchildren, there’s George and then there’s everyone else. It would have been unacceptable for the Queen to miss the christening of a future monarch, IMO. On the other hand I think it’s perfectly acceptable to make the decision for the other children on a purely personal basis, whether the child in question is royal or not. It doesn’t mean that Louis or Isla are less important to Elizabeth and Philip, their great grandparents. But they’re not future monarchs and their christenings don’t demand the institutional presence of The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh.

It's not. I know fruitcake last a long time, but I feel like there should be expiration date for all food items. It's well past time.

When you freeze foods it does extend the dates on things. I'm sure they have it wrapped and done up right.

LaRae

When you freeze foods it does extend the dates on things. I'm sure they have it wrapped and done up right.

LaRae

I don't doubt it, but still...yicky. 7 years. That's a long time.

It's quite common for fruit cake to last a long long time. They re-marzipan and ice though.

Fruitcake can last ages with loads of booze in it though most people seem to dislike it these days so probably won’t rush to eat it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the Duchesse´ s head piece! So much prettier than these small hats whose brims are located much in front of the forehead, almost down to the nose.

I like that Carole, Pippa, Lucy and Charlotte all wore light blue. Family unity between the ladies.

People are hardly being hysterical, just discussing behavior seemingly out of the normal for the Queen.
Well, people said they were shocked by it, and I wrote that ''perhaps we should just calm down a bit.'' I didn't say that people were being hysterical. ?

And just because BP says there is no health doesn’t mean anything, for the record. The Queen is spry for 92 but 92 is still 92.
I wrote ''reliable sources,'' not what BP says officially.

--------------------

Of course William and Catherine understand The Queen and Prince Philip not being able to attend, but the media and folks online still aren’t used to the fact that The Queen and Prince Philip are old. Prince Philip is retired and Her Majesty is being careful with her activities.

Don’t know if anyone paid attention to The Queen after the Royal Garden Party in Scotland. The woman looked drained by the end of it. Look at the video.
Well, the Queen & Philip has been old for a VERY LONG time, and the serious newspapers and the royal commentators/reporters aren't speculating about her not being at the christening at all.

--------------------

And to all the others, did you even read my previous post?

Well, perhaps we should just calm down a bit.

1. According to all reliable sources during the past few years, the Queen is in ''remarkable'' god health for her age (yes that's the word they have been using), and if you take a look at her when she is out and about, you'll se it.

2. She has been spending her weekend with Philip in Norfolk, following her busy schedule in Scotland last week, and is on her way back to London today for yet a busy schedule this week.

Tweets from Rebecca English:

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will not be attending today's christening. There's no health issue for the Queen. She was working flat out in Scotland last week and has got a busy few days in London with the RAF Centenary event tomorrow and #Trump on Friday.

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail
The Queen & Philip have just spent the weekend together in Norfolk. He is remaining there while she travels back to London today. Her decision not to attend was mutually agreed with William & Kate, while Philip clearly doesn't want to attend public events unless he really has to.

Tweets from Richard Palmer:

Richard Palmer @Royalreporter
The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh are not attending Prince Louis’s christening this afternoon. I understand that was mutually agreed some time ago and the Cambridges are “relaxed” about it.

Richard Palmer @Royalreporter
Why isn’t the Queen going to Prince Louis’s christening? I’ve spoken to a couple of sources and the explanation seems to be it’s another busy week for the monarch at 92. She has the RAF centenary tomorrow, a meeting with President Trump on Friday and audiences in between.

--------------------

And to the christening:

Prince Louis’s big day as royals gather for christening - updates from ITV

ITN video:

Last edited:
As others have mentioned, the Queen and the Duke are old. Not just old. They're both very very old. They need more time to recover from things and to rest up. People online act like they're in their 70's or something. To be walking unaided is an amazing thing for people in their age bracket, let alone doing more than 1 engagement a week.

:previous: Exactly!

BTW, I have updated the above post with an ITN video of the arrivals.

Based on Camilla fanning herself when leaving, I bet it was quite warm. That may have been a factor too for HM and Prince Philip.

:previous: Well IMO, it has more to do with the fact that she (at the great age of 92) has been taking it easy in Norfolk with her 97 (almost 100)- year-old husband, before heading back to Windsor today. - There she will stay until tomorrow, when she vill be back in London for another busy week, not bad. ?

Last edited:
:previous: Well IMO, it has more to do with the fact that she (at the great age of 92) has been taking it easy in Norfolk with her 97 (almost 100)- year-old husband, before heading back to Windsor today. - There she will stay until tomorrow, when she vill be back in London for another busy week, not bad. ?

I thought the reporting is that she's coming back from Sandringham today?

It wasn't just HM and DoE who didn't show. I didn't see some of the spouses of the godparents - Mr. Meade, Mrs. van Cutsem and Mrs. Aubrey-Fletcher.

Well, it is a Monday and thus a work day. If folks have regular jobs, doesn’t make much sense to take time off for a christening if you are not the actual godparent yourself

Aha!

So according to the announcement, guests will be served slices of christening cake which is from one of the tiers of the Cambridge wedding cake. Thank goodness there was still enough left from George and Charlotte's christenings!

So this is why the Queen isn’t attending- she just couldn’t face another slice of that fruitcake.

I'm not at all shocked that the Queen didn't attend. As others have said, she has a busy week ahead of her. Plus she has missed a christening before, so this isn't anything new.

I like that Carole, Pippa, Lucy and Charlotte all wore light blue. Family unity between the ladies.

I like that too. Hannah Carter also wore light blue.

Some photos of the Cambridges. Louis is adorable:

Coverage of the christening from the DM. I'm looking forward to the official portraits.
Prince Louis christening is attended by William, Kate, George and Charlotte | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
I like that some music from the Cambridge and the Prince and Princess of Wales’s royal weddings were performed for the christening. William and Harry always make sure to incorporate special family memories into their lives.

I think this is another illustration of the Queen letting Charles take over her duties. At Charlotte's christening, Charles was so low key that some asked if he was even in attendance.

Back
Top Bottom