The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-09-2018, 11:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
It's indeed treated as a private event but currently the monarch has to be a member of the Church of England so this baptism potentially (not likely but the government seems to consider the first 6 in line relevant) has constitutional relevance as well.
Yes, anyone in line of succession has to be a member of the Church of England. So baptism is Important for all the queen's great-grandchildren. Louis has as little chance of needing to take the throne as Mia, Savannah, Isla and Lena do.

Clearly as she attended the baptisms of Mia and Savannah, the queen doesn't base such choices on succession to the throne.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I understand it is a private event, and It looks very small, just the close relatives? or the press didn't show the rest? Also wonder how did the celebrated? a lunch , dinner? something simple or elaborate, where? etcc…...

Old 07-10-2018, 12:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Kate looked beautiful so happy. What a lovely family
I don’t think Harry is looking gloomy just a couple of photos not smiling
Old 07-10-2018, 02:34 AM
Courtier

Of course the great-grandchildren who are much closer to the throne are more "important" to the Queen than the others - for the simple reason that she is not just Gan-Gan, she is the monarch and head of state. She's also a monarch who, along with her father, was not considered likely to accede to the throne, so she knows lines of accession don't always happen according to plan.

The christening of Charlotte and Louis are fundamentally different types of event than for Mia Tindall, for example. The Queen has seen fit to ensure that they are HRH from birth. It is an official occasion, with KP announcing attendees, the Archbishop of Canterbury officiating and official video and pictures released.

All of the above makes it more strange that the Queen was not there. This was a very short event, in an official royal palace so no public to be dealt with and HM could've jumped in her helicopter and back to Windsor in minutes. It's very odd to me.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:34 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
I understand it is a private event, and It looks very small, just the close relatives? or the press didn't show the rest?
The chapel is pretty small. With a choir in there, it was probably close to full.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
The chapel is pretty small. With a choir in there, it was probably close to full.
I wonder how they did it for Royal Weddings in the past as it was even the place for the Wedding of a reigning Monarch once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

I am torn on this one. I completely understand why the Royal families of Belgium and Britain prefer to keep their baptismal ceremonies as private religious family affairs. But in my heart I love to see Royal christenings as traditional public spectacles...with the grandeur of the ancient chapels and cathedrals on full display like in Sweden.

But in Belgim we got some pics and Videos from inside the Chapel (for the children of Philippe and Mathilde) nand it was not so small and private like in Britain.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:48 AM
Majesty

The Chapel seats about forty people, I believe. Centuries ago people probably crowded in and stood rather than sat.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I wonder how they did it for Royal Weddings in the past as it was even the place for the Wedding of a reigning Monarch once.
I guess one less thing those royal weddings had to worry about was trying to fit in many TV cameras in the small enclosed chapel like they did for present weddings.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:58 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post

*This work is in the public domain in its country of origin and other countries and areas where the copyright term is the author's life plus 100 years or less.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I guess one less thing those royal weddings had to worry about was trying to fit in many TV cameras in the small enclosed chapel like they did for present weddings.

But for yestedays christening and the one of George there where also no TV Cameras or photgraphers inside.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:16 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I know that of course!

And if you had gone back in the thread and read these posts, you would have known that I know:
Quote:
Well IMO, it has more to do with the fact that she (at the great age of 92) has been taking it easy in Norfolk with her 97 (almost 100)- year-old husband, before heading back to Windsor today. - There she will stay until tomorrow, when she vill be back in London for another busy week, not bad.
We don't know this. It's your speculations.
Logistically there is no point to travel from Norfolk to Windsor and next day (in early morning!) travel from Windsor in London.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The British government is niot at the point of falling ( at least not yet) and, in any case, I doubt William or Harry care about that. The royals are non-partisan and will work with whatever government that is in office. Government formation is none of their business.
Even a private citizen with just little political interest is interested, if not worried, about the proceedings when his/ her government threatens to fall. I think it makes quite difference if you cooperate and have to deal with the Tories or Labour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
I'm not at all shocked that the Queen didn't attend. As others have said, she has a busy week ahead of her. Plus she has missed a christening before, so this isn't anything new.

Well, new or not, (and I´ m not "shocked" at all) this is at least a bit strange (on the contrary, I think it´ s even more strange she did so the 2nd time...). On the other hand just another example that this RF handles things quite different than "normal", ordinary families or most other royal families.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
The Chapel seats about forty people, I believe. Centuries ago people probably crowded in and stood rather than sat.
That size (picture) sounds similar to the private chapel of the Dutch royal family at Het Loo Palace (the picture is taken halfway the chapel) picture
Old 07-10-2018, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The chapel at St James is not my favourite one used by the British RF but it is nice and private.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:08 AM
Majesty

I think almost all the private chapels in royal palaces were probably quite small and cosy affairs, just built for the RF and their senior attendants.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:49 AM
Courtier

Queen Victoria's diary entry about her wedding actually gives a lot of logistical information about how they would arrange everything for ceremonies in that chapel. It seems that primarily close family were in the chapel with Victoria and Albert, but they also had seating set up for guests in several other rooms in the palace and she processed through those rooms on the way into the service. At first glance, it seems strange to have guests in other rooms, but when you think about it, without television monitors and microphones, most of the people at, say, Harry and Meghan's wedding in St. George's wouldn't have been able to see or hear much beyond the procession, so there wasn't really any expectation that the bulk of a wedding guests be able to truly witness the vow exchange.

http://www.queen-victorias-scrapbook...tents/3-5.html
Old 07-10-2018, 10:44 AM
Heir Apparent

I read that a tier of their wedding cake was served, how is preserve a 7 yar old cake? I would be scare to eat!
Did the have a tea or meal gathering after?
Old 07-10-2018, 10:48 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I’ve heard that’s quite a thing. Frankly I would just have a new one made in the same flavour. Much tastier. Didn’t they have a fruit cake layer for their wedding cake? That lasts ages apparently.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
The seating make it even more small. It was just single odd chair during Victoria’s time. Mostly people stood for the short christenings.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-10-2018, 02:23 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I'm not sure if this has been reported on, but apparently Charlotte told the photographers "you're not coming" as she was arriving to Louis's christening yesterday :

Video: 'You're not coming' Princess Charlotte to photographers at christening | Daily Mail Online

Just got to love children and their freedom to say whatever they want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
The George/Charlotte scenario reminds me of the Charles/Anne scenario from so long ago. I've tried to find the old film of Charles and Anne playing with the monkeys on Gilbralter but can't locate it on YouTube. As presented and so clearly in evidence, Charles was the shy, hesitant one, Anne the daredevil.
Also HM and Princess Margaret come to mind. IIRC from when they were young Margaret was always seen as the more lively and outgoing sister, continuing of course into adulthood.
I remember reading something about William getting into an argument or disagreement with another child at his nursery and Diana having to apologise to the child's parents, but I can't remember where I read that. I think, as someone else said, William was more outgoing when he was younger but now Harry is portrayed as the livelier one since teenage/adulthood.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank