The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-09-2018, 01:32 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Lovely photos from Louis's christening today, I look forward into the official ones. I can't quite tell who Louis looks like, though when he was born I thought he looked like Charlotte as a baby. Charlotte was very sweet in the video when she shook hands. She doesn't seem afraid of the limelight at all
Whilst it is disappointing that HM and Philip weren't there, I would understand their reasonings for not being there. They're both in their 90's so will struggle with the heat more so I also agree with those who think that the weather might have been a factor of their absence. (I mean, I'm a lot younger than they are and even I struggled in the heat whilst out and about yesterday.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Based on Camilla fanning herself when leaving, I bet it was quite warm. That may have been a factor too for HM and Prince Philip.
We've had a heatwave here in the UK for over a month resulting in forest fires in northern England which is extremely rare. So it's been incredibly hot lately and today it was almost 30 degrees in London.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-09-2018, 01:59 PM
Courtier

It did look quite hot. Part of staying as active and healthy as the queen in one's 90s is knowing when to take a pass and not subject yourself to conditions that could leave you needing an overlong period of rest and recovery. My husband's grandmother is in fantastic shape for a 102 year old woman, but by this age I'm pretty sure she would have stayed home from a summertime christening in an non-airconditioned space and instead made a point of inviting family over to her well-cooled home for a special time soon afterwards.

I think the point about letting Prince Charles be the most senior family member present is an important one, too. He's waiting a long time to be monarch, still taking a back seat to her at these ceremonies whenever she's present. In a small way, it's something of a gift from her to let him enjoy the prominence at an event of special meaning and importance that would usually be hers: being the one who gets to sit in the seat of honor that would otherwise be reserved for her, to be the one to whom the Archbishop, etc.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:59 PM
Nobility

Something that stood out to me is that sweet George and Charlotte really are at ages where they look quite drastically different each time they are seen. :) Comparing today's pictures to that of the DoS wedding, you'd have thought there must have been at least a year in-between. Cuties!
Old 07-09-2018, 02:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloep View Post
Something that stood out to me is that sweet George and Charlotte really are at ages where they look quite drastically different each time they are seen. :) Comparing today's pictures to that of the DoS wedding, you'd have thought there must have been at least a year in-between. Cuties!
Charlotte, especially!

They both did a very good job today. Charlotte is getting the most attention for shaking hands because she was more visible from the point of view of the cameras, but on the videos it looked to me that the clergy both got handshakes from him with no problem, too. You could see in each case that the shook her hand first then turned to George, and I think I could hear William telling George "good job" after the second. We've seen him be shy about handshakes in the past, but now that his more gregarious younger sister is old enough for those greetings, perhaps it's wise for a little while to have her go first so he can warm up to the idea as he watches her. Won't it be interesting to see how little Louis's personality shines through in these moments once he's old enough?
Old 07-09-2018, 02:32 PM
Serene Highness

Charlotte is such a doll! Reminds me of my own little granddaughter with her personality.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm at a loss to decide just who Charlotte looks like. In some pictures, I'd swear she's Kate's mini me and then in others I see William's face in a little girl's face. Both Charlotte and George are just absolutely too cute for words and I love seeing "Daddy" holding their hands and ushering them into the chapel for the christening. The Cambridges are a totally delightful family.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I thought the reporting is that she's coming back from Sandringham today?
Yes, but she always stays at Windsor until Tuesday.

--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Another ITN video:
Old 07-09-2018, 03:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Personally, if I was HM, I'd head to the place where its apt to be the coolest.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:13 PM
Heir Apparent

I for one, thinks she would've gone to Windsor, even if it had been 100 degrees there.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Princess Charlotte as always the star of the show!
Old 07-09-2018, 04:10 PM
Serene Highness

Interesting - Charlotte's handshake is much publicized, undoubtedly because it feeds the narrative already created by the press that she is the 'friendly,' 'outgoing,' 'confident' one; whereas George's handshake is ignored, probably because he is already being cast by the press as the 'reserved,' 'shy,' and/or 'petulant' child.
Who knows how accurate these assumptions are about the children's personalities since they are based on small snippets of time in very public places.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Interesting - Charlotte's handshake is much publicized, undoubtedly because it feeds the narrative already created by the press that she is the 'friendly,' 'outgoing,' 'confident' one; whereas George's handshake is ignored, probably because he is already being cast by the press as the 'reserved,' 'shy,' and/or 'petulant' child.
Who knows how accurate these assumptions are about the children's personalities since they are based on small snippets of time in very public places.
Accurate or not it's already clear that the media have decided for Charlotte to be the rebel and George to be more shy and pensive. Sounds familiar? In about 20 years time we'll have articles about a partying Charlotte shaking up the palace and everytime she glances at a man there'll be paparazzi there to take pictures alternating with a tale of the reluctant, insecure heir to the throne...
Old 07-09-2018, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
People are hardly being hysterical, just discussing behavior seemingly out of the normal for the Queen.

And just because BP says there is no health doesn’t mean anything, for the record. The Queen is spry for 92 but 92 is still 92.
Exactly on both counts. The heat in the chapel (which I assume they would have known would be the case in the current temperatures) would be enough to keep two elderly great-grandparents home in the A/C.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Moving Image-
George and Charlotte shaking hands-
World of Windsor : britishheirs: Prince*George and Princess Charlotte...

Video:
Princess Charlotte talking to the photographers-
World of Windsor : britishheirs: Prince*George and Princess Charlotte...

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-09-2018, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
So this is why the Queen isn’t attending- she just couldn’t face another slice of that fruitcake.
Too funny! You've nailed it! Cat out of the bag! Ha!
Old 07-09-2018, 05:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I love the Duchesse´ s head piece! So much prettier than these small hats whose brims are located much in front of the forehead, almost down to the nose.
I LOVE the DoC's headpiece...so elegant and feminine! So much better than a fascinator, which I simply loathe.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 07-09-2018, 05:32 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Accurate or not it's already clear that the media have decided for Charlotte to be the rebel and George to be more shy and pensive. Sounds familiar? In about 20 years time we'll have articles about a partying Charlotte shaking up the palace and everytime she glances at a man there'll be paparazzi there to take pictures alternating with a tale of the reluctant, insecure heir to the throne...

It’s easy to see it that way now, but if my memory of accounts is correct, when they were younger it was William who was more outgoing / comfortable with the public attention, and Harry who was shyer - Harry, I believe, always had a bit of a cheeky streak to him, but he was more in his brother’s shadow. This changed when they got older as the press attention changed during the War of the Wales’, and in the aftermath of Diana’s death. William’s “shyness” is more him being more reserved with the public than his brother.

Charlotte is a bit of a character, and it kind of reminds me of old videos of William - although, that is biased, as we don’t have videos of what Kate was like at that age.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:54 PM
Heir Apparent

The George/Charlotte scenario reminds me of the Charles/Anne scenario from so long ago. I've tried to find the old film of Charles and Anne playing with the monkeys on Gilbralter but can't locate it on YouTube. As presented and so clearly in evidence, Charles was the shy, hesitant one, Anne the daredevil.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
It did look quite hot. Part of staying as active and healthy as the queen in one's 90s is knowing when to take a pass and not subject yourself to conditions that could leave you needing an overlong period of rest and recovery. My husband's grandmother is in fantastic shape for a 102 year old woman, but by this age I'm pretty sure she would have stayed home from a summertime christening in an non-airconditioned space and instead made a point of inviting family over to her well-cooled home for a special time soon afterwards.

I think the point about letting Prince Charles be the most senior family member present is an important one, too. He's waiting a long time to be monarch, still taking a back seat to her at these ceremonies whenever she's present. In a small way, it's something of a gift from her to let him enjoy the prominence at an event of special meaning and importance that would usually be hers: being the one who gets to sit in the seat of honor that would otherwise be reserved for her, to be the one to whom the Archbishop, etc.

I totally agree! We will be reassured about the health of HM when we see her (and possible also the DoE), later in the week. They are simply pacing themselves, and as we've been informed, it has been discussed with the Cambridges in advance, and they are content with the arrangement.

And although I love to see HM and the DoE out and about, it was nice to see the Cambridges and their 'immediate' family and friends take centre-stage today.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:01 PM
Royal Highness

Congratulations Cambridge Family