Christening of Prince Louis of Cambridge: July 9, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lovely photos from Louis's christening today, I look forward into the official ones. I can't quite tell who Louis looks like, though when he was born I thought he looked like Charlotte as a baby. Charlotte was very sweet in the video when she shook hands. She doesn't seem afraid of the limelight at all ?
Whilst it is disappointing that HM and Philip weren't there, I would understand their reasonings for not being there. They're both in their 90's so will struggle with the heat more so I also agree with those who think that the weather might have been a factor of their absence. (I mean, I'm a lot younger than they are and even I struggled in the heat whilst out and about yesterday.)

Based on Camilla fanning herself when leaving, I bet it was quite warm. That may have been a factor too for HM and Prince Philip.

We've had a heatwave here in the UK for over a month resulting in forest fires in northern England which is extremely rare. So it's been incredibly hot lately and today it was almost 30 degrees in London.

Last edited:
It did look quite hot. Part of staying as active and healthy as the queen in one's 90s is knowing when to take a pass and not subject yourself to conditions that could leave you needing an overlong period of rest and recovery. My husband's grandmother is in fantastic shape for a 102 year old woman, but by this age I'm pretty sure she would have stayed home from a summertime christening in an non-airconditioned space and instead made a point of inviting family over to her well-cooled home for a special time soon afterwards.

I think the point about letting Prince Charles be the most senior family member present is an important one, too. He's waiting a long time to be monarch, still taking a back seat to her at these ceremonies whenever she's present. In a small way, it's something of a gift from her to let him enjoy the prominence at an event of special meaning and importance that would usually be hers: being the one who gets to sit in the seat of honor that would otherwise be reserved for her, to be the one to whom the Archbishop, etc.

Something that stood out to me is that sweet George and Charlotte really are at ages where they look quite drastically different each time they are seen. :) Comparing today's pictures to that of the DoS wedding, you'd have thought there must have been at least a year in-between. Cuties!

Something that stood out to me is that sweet George and Charlotte really are at ages where they look quite drastically different each time they are seen. :) Comparing today's pictures to that of the DoS wedding, you'd have thought there must have been at least a year in-between. Cuties!

Charlotte, especially!

They both did a very good job today. Charlotte is getting the most attention for shaking hands because she was more visible from the point of view of the cameras, but on the videos it looked to me that the clergy both got handshakes from him with no problem, too. You could see in each case that the shook her hand first then turned to George, and I think I could hear William telling George "good job" after the second. We've seen him be shy about handshakes in the past, but now that his more gregarious younger sister is old enough for those greetings, perhaps it's wise for a little while to have her go first so he can warm up to the idea as he watches her. Won't it be interesting to see how little Louis's personality shines through in these moments once he's old enough?

Charlotte is such a doll! Reminds me of my own little granddaughter with her personality.

I'm at a loss to decide just who Charlotte looks like. In some pictures, I'd swear she's Kate's mini me and then in others I see William's face in a little girl's face. Both Charlotte and George are just absolutely too cute for words and I love seeing "Daddy" holding their hands and ushering them into the chapel for the christening. The Cambridges are a totally delightful family.

Personally, if I was HM, I'd head to the place where its apt to be the coolest. ;)

:previous: I for one, thinks she would've gone to Windsor, even if it had been 100 degrees there. :lol:

Princess Charlotte as always the star of the show!

Interesting - Charlotte's handshake is much publicized, undoubtedly because it feeds the narrative already created by the press that she is the 'friendly,' 'outgoing,' 'confident' one; whereas George's handshake is ignored, probably because he is already being cast by the press as the 'reserved,' 'shy,' and/or 'petulant' child.
Who knows how accurate these assumptions are about the children's personalities since they are based on small snippets of time in very public places.

Interesting - Charlotte's handshake is much publicized, undoubtedly because it feeds the narrative already created by the press that she is the 'friendly,' 'outgoing,' 'confident' one; whereas George's handshake is ignored, probably because he is already being cast by the press as the 'reserved,' 'shy,' and/or 'petulant' child.
Who knows how accurate these assumptions are about the children's personalities since they are based on small snippets of time in very public places.
Accurate or not it's already clear that the media have decided for Charlotte to be the rebel and George to be more shy and pensive. Sounds familiar? In about 20 years time we'll have articles about a partying Charlotte shaking up the palace and everytime she glances at a man there'll be paparazzi there to take pictures alternating with a tale of the reluctant, insecure heir to the throne...

People are hardly being hysterical, just discussing behavior seemingly out of the normal for the Queen.

And just because BP says there is no health doesn’t mean anything, for the record. The Queen is spry for 92 but 92 is still 92.

Exactly on both counts. The heat in the chapel (which I assume they would have known would be the case in the current temperatures) would be enough to keep two elderly great-grandparents home in the A/C. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the Duchesse´ s head piece! So much prettier than these small hats whose brims are located much in front of the forehead, almost down to the nose.

I LOVE the DoC's headpiece...so elegant and feminine! So much better than a fascinator, which I simply loathe.

Accurate or not it's already clear that the media have decided for Charlotte to be the rebel and George to be more shy and pensive. Sounds familiar? In about 20 years time we'll have articles about a partying Charlotte shaking up the palace and everytime she glances at a man there'll be paparazzi there to take pictures alternating with a tale of the reluctant, insecure heir to the throne...

It’s easy to see it that way now, but if my memory of accounts is correct, when they were younger it was William who was more outgoing / comfortable with the public attention, and Harry who was shyer - Harry, I believe, always had a bit of a cheeky streak to him, but he was more in his brother’s shadow. This changed when they got older as the press attention changed during the War of the Wales’, and in the aftermath of Diana’s death. William’s “shyness” is more him being more reserved with the public than his brother.

Charlotte is a bit of a character, and it kind of reminds me of old videos of William - although, that is biased, as we don’t have videos of what Kate was like at that age.

:previous: The George/Charlotte scenario reminds me of the Charles/Anne scenario from so long ago. I've tried to find the old film of Charles and Anne playing with the monkeys on Gilbralter but can't locate it on YouTube. As presented and so clearly in evidence, Charles was the shy, hesitant one, Anne the daredevil. :flowers:

It did look quite hot. Part of staying as active and healthy as the queen in one's 90s is knowing when to take a pass and not subject yourself to conditions that could leave you needing an overlong period of rest and recovery. My husband's grandmother is in fantastic shape for a 102 year old woman, but by this age I'm pretty sure she would have stayed home from a summertime christening in an non-airconditioned space and instead made a point of inviting family over to her well-cooled home for a special time soon afterwards.

I think the point about letting Prince Charles be the most senior family member present is an important one, too. He's waiting a long time to be monarch, still taking a back seat to her at these ceremonies whenever she's present. In a small way, it's something of a gift from her to let him enjoy the prominence at an event of special meaning and importance that would usually be hers: being the one who gets to sit in the seat of honor that would otherwise be reserved for her, to be the one to whom the Archbishop, etc.

I totally agree! We will be reassured about the health of HM when we see her (and possible also the DoE), later in the week. They are simply pacing themselves, and as we've been informed, it has been discussed with the Cambridges in advance, and they are content with the arrangement.

And although I love to see HM and the DoE out and about, it was nice to see the Cambridges and their 'immediate' family and friends take centre-stage today.

And although I love to see HM and the DoE out and about, it was nice to see the Cambridges and their 'immediate' family and friends take centre-stage today.

True. :flowers: I especially liked seeing Charles and Camilla out front, and particularly like the moment when Camilla hung back allowing Charles to be out front (not that she had planned that bit only that it occurred serendipitously).

It's unfortunate the Queen and Prince Philip weren't able to attend but it was a very happy occasion. I think we can safely assume that Charlotte is an extravert. It was kind of touching to watch George starting to realize that Mom wouldn't be able to hold his hand all the time now. He handled it well, but I thought it was obvious that it was new to him. He's going to have to get used to being the big kid in the family-it's part of life.

:previous: I know that of course! ?

And if you had gone back in the thread and read these posts, you would have known that I know:
:previous: Well IMO, it has more to do with the fact that she (at the great age of 92) has been taking it easy in Norfolk with her 97 (almost 100)- year-old husband, before heading back to Windsor today. - There she will stay until tomorrow, when she vill be back in London for another busy week, not bad. ?

Jacqui24, then replied with this post:
I thought the reporting is that she's coming back from Sandringham today?

And I responded with what you quoted above. ?

Last edited:
The biggest surprise for me was that Daddy looked less-than-thrilled in the majority of the photos.

Part of it, I am sure was photo selection. But Catherine looked transcendently radiant while Will looked like he was trapped holding onto two forces of nature, just waiting for it all to go sideways. Harry was also a bit gloomy.

Handsome group overall.

It's unfortunate the Queen and Prince Philip weren't able to attend but it was a very happy occasion. I think we can safely assume that Charlotte is an extravert. It was kind of touching to watch George starting to realize that Mom wouldn't be able to hold his hand all the time now. He handled it well, but I thought it was obvious that it was new to him. He's going to have to get used to being the big kid in the family-it's part of life.

Since William has usually been the one holding George's hand out in public since Charlotte has come along, I'm sure he has adapted.:flowers:

I wonder why the court only announced what wasn't the reason for not attending instead of the reason (probably along the lines of "due to the duke's (old) age and the queen's busy schedule it was decided...")

Catherine looked radiant on all but one picture. William was making sure all went well with the older kids in front of the cameras.

I still don't like this private chtistening thing as to me this is something that should be celebrated among the church community (parish) that a family belongs but apparently that's not the BRF's reasoning.

The biggest surprise for me was that Daddy looked less-than-thrilled in the majority of the photos.

Part of it, I am sure was photo selection. But Catherine looked transcendently radiant while Will looked like he was trapped holding onto two forces of nature, just waiting for it all to go sideways. Harry was also a bit gloomy.

Handsome group overall.

I too noticed the gloomy looks on both William and Harry. Catherine and Meghan simply glowed. Everyone looked very nice. I’m nuts about George and Charlotte. They make me laugh. Can’t wait to see Louis’s christening pics.

Don't know why I am surprised the DM cant get simple facts straight, but Nicholas is NOT the father of Grace Van Cutsem. He is Grace's Uncle. Grace is Hugh's daughter. Nicholas has one child, who we did see in a royal wedding, but the recent one. Little Florence.

Has nothing to do with importance or that Peter is less than William.

As I said...Peter and his family are private citizens. William and his family are not. Yes it is surprising that the Queen is not there for the Christening for a child of a future King.

LaRae

This is a private event. Not a royal event. It is not the ceremony of the third son of a future king. It is the private baptism of a great grandchild of the queen. She doesn't attend or not attend based on how close they are to the throne. Isla may be less important to the UK. But she is not less important to Grandma Elizabeth.

I don't think Meghan/Harry will be in the pics...I thought only the godparents were in the pics?

Maybe there are pictures taken with the godparents, but the official pictures that are released apparently only include the baby with parents and siblings, both sets of grandparents, the Queen and Prince Philip and other immediate family members, such as Prince Harry and Pippa, for example in Prince George's christening photo:
https://www.eonline.com/de/news/473...d-see-the-royal-family-in-the-official-photos

Prince Harry did not appear in Princess Charlotte's christening photo because he was on an overseas trip:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-princess-charlotte-of-cambridge-in-pictures/

So now for Prince Louis, with both Pippa and Harry married, their spouses are bound to be in the official photo I would imagine, but the Queen and Prince Philip won't be. Perhaps another official portrait will be taken at a later date with the Cambridges and QE II & Pip. There's probably separate photos taken of the Cambridges with all of the godparents.

Here's video

Below with commentary by Royal Reviewer re details of the christening:

Back
Top Bottom