The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-09-2018, 10:16 AM
Heir Apparent

https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/st...46523938648064

So according to the announcement, guests will be served slices of christening cake which is from one of the tiers of the Cambridge wedding cake. Thank goodness there was still enough left from George and Charlotte's christenings!

Old 07-09-2018, 10:16 AM
Courtier

Agreed that it might have been prudent to release that information prior to today to avoid the intense speculation that is currently making the rounds. I'm seeing quite a bit of speculation regarding the nature of their absence, the groundwork being laid for transition, etc.

Looking forward to seeing the video and pictures from today...fingers crossed for some sweet interaction between Uncle Harry and the children.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I am very surprised, somewhat shocked even, that the Queen and DoE are not attending the Christening....I can't imagine any reason for them not to. Ill health has been denied, they aren't out of the country etc. This is just very strange to me.
LaRae

Yes. I love the Queen, but when it comes to attending events by herself or family members abroad and, nowadays even at home, the BRF is, let´s say, "unique" among all other european royal courts, if not even eccentric...
Old 07-09-2018, 10:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Different situation. Peter and Autumn live as private people. William is the heir of the heir. Louis's brother will be a King.

LaRae
So it's alright for HM to miss Isla's christening because she's... less important than Louis? I'm pretty sure Peter and Autumn don't think their daughter is less important just because she isn't gonna be the sister of a King.

But I'm also fairly certain that neither Peter and Autumn nor William and Catherine care a lot. The BRF has never seemed to me to care as much about the christenings as other royal families – as exemplified by the guest lists for all three Cambridge children's christenings. Only close family and godparents, nothing big or fancy. And I'm sure they understand if HM prioritise work.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
So it's alright for HM to miss Isla's christening because she's... less important than Louis? I'm pretty sure Peter and Autumn don't think their daughter is less important just because she isn't gonna be the sister of a King.

But I'm also fairly certain that neither Peter and Autumn nor William and Catherine care a lot. The BRF has never seemed to me to care as much about the christenings as other royal families – as exemplified by the guest lists for all three Cambridge children's christenings. Only close family and godparents, nothing big or fancy. And I'm sure they understand if HM prioritise work.

Has nothing to do with importance or that Peter is less than William.

As I said...Peter and his family are private citizens. William and his family are not. Yes it is surprising that the Queen is not there for the Christening for a child of a future King.

LaRae
Old 07-09-2018, 10:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Different situation. Peter and Autumn live as private people. William is the heir of the heir. Louis's brother will be a King.

LaRae

Are we talking about succession or an important family event? I cannot think of any other reason for great-grandparents NOT to attend their gr grgandchild´ s christening other than a poor health!

Even more so when the great grandmother bears the title "defender of the faith" and is the worldly head of a church! To all christians claiming to be devout, a christening IS a very important occasion, no matter if you make a state affair of it (Sweden) or if it is a more private thing (Spain, Britain, Belgium).
Old 07-09-2018, 10:37 AM
Courtier

Quote:

I am sure the BRF cares for the christening very much (especially HM who has always been portrayed as a very devout christian). But some royal families consider christenings a private event rather than a State occasion with dignitaries, politicians and other personalities invited, the way Scandivian royals do.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Doesn’t the BRF have private christenings for all their members?
Old 07-09-2018, 10:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Has nothing to do with importance or that Peter is less than William.

As I said...Peter and his family are private citizens. William and his family are not. Yes it is surprising that the Queen is not there for the Christening for a child of a future King.

LaRae
Correct, William and his family are not private citizens but the christening is private. So sure, it may be surprising that she isn't gonna be there if you'd anticipated she'd be there but it's not weird – just shows that she doesn't rank her great-grandchildren's importance according to their place in the line of succession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesina View Post
I am sure the BRF cares for the christening very much (especially HM who has always been portrayed as a very devout christian). But some royal families consider christenings a private event rather than a State occasion with dignitaries, politicians and other personalities invited, the way Scandivian royals do.
And that's my point. The BRF's christenings are private events, there's not a lot of fuss about them and as such, they're clearly not necessarily events HM feels like she's obliged to prioritise over work. I legitimately can't see why people are making such a big deal out of it when she did the exact same thing six years ago.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
Doesn’t the BRF have private christenings for all their members?
More or less so. The christenings themselves are never filmed or televised, there are only official photographs released a few days later (never from the christening act itself).
Old 07-09-2018, 10:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
And that's my point. The BRF's christenings are private events, there's not a lot of fuss about them and as such, they're clearly not necessarily events HM feels like she's obliged to prioritise over work. I legitimately can't see why people are making such a big deal out of it when she did the exact same thing six years ago.
The why has already been stated.

LaRae
Old 07-09-2018, 10:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Well, the thing about the christenings being "private" or not do not count for me. If gr grandparents are in proper health, why then shouldn´ t they attend (except may be if there is a family feud)?
When the Queen didn´t attend 6 years ago I find that quite odd, too. If my great granny would not come to my child´ s christening, I´d be very upset!
Old 07-09-2018, 10:59 AM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter Guests arrive for Prince Louis’s christening https://twitter.com/i/status/1016334845776203778
Old 07-09-2018, 11:01 AM
Courtier

No live broadcast of the arrivals from Skynews this time?
Old 07-09-2018, 11:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesina View Post
No live broadcast of the arrivals from Skynews this time?
Don’t seem like it.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-09-2018, 11:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/st...46523938648064

So according to the announcement, guests will be served slices of christening cake which is from one of the tiers of the Cambridge wedding cake. Thank goodness there was still enough left from George and Charlotte's christenings!
I cannot believe they are still serving up slices of the Cambridge wedding cake circa 2011.

I hope that's a misprint.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 07-09-2018, 11:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I cannot believe they are still serving up slices of the Cambridge wedding cake circa 2011.

I hope that's a misprint.
It's not. I know fruitcake last a long time, but I feel like there should be expiration date for all food items. It's well past time.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Well, the thing about the christenings being "private" or not do not count for me. If gr grandparents are in proper health, why then shouldn´ t they attend (except may be if there is a family feud)?
When the Queen didn´t attend 6 years ago I find that quite odd, too. If my great granny would not come to my child´ s christening, I´d be very upset!
But different families have different priorities and attach various amounts of importance to attendance at events like this. My grandmother is a little younger than the Queen and my first child is actually being baptized later this month. I wouldn’t think twice if she decided it was too much for her to attend the ceremony. And she’s nowhere near as busy or as active as the Queen.

In terms of the Queen’s great grandchildren, there’s George and then there’s everyone else. It would have been unacceptable for the Queen to miss the christening of a future monarch, IMO. On the other hand I think it’s perfectly acceptable to make the decision for the other children on a purely personal basis, whether the child in question is royal or not. It doesn’t mean that Louis or Isla are less important to Elizabeth and Philip, their great grandparents. But they’re not future monarchs and their christenings don’t demand the institutional presence of The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
It's not. I know fruitcake last a long time, but I feel like there should be expiration date for all food items. It's well past time.
When you freeze foods it does extend the dates on things. I'm sure they have it wrapped and done up right.

LaRae
Old 07-09-2018, 11:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
When you freeze foods it does extend the dates on things. I'm sure they have it wrapped and done up right.

LaRae
I don't doubt it, but still...yicky. 7 years. That's a long time.